Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morpheus posted:

In preparation of Dark Souls 3, I decided to finally pick up the Bloodborne DLC.

I think maybe that was a mistake.

Almost every single enemy that I've encountered is a hunter with crazy weapons that seem better than anything I have, in terms of movesets. And all these guys have a bunch of health, are really mobile, and hit like a truck. Then there's an enemy in this area that comes out of nowhere (in that, he's just waiting in a corner and doesn't really have any leadup), is super fast, and will straight-up murder me in three hits. And he has a shitload of health. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with him.

My biggest problem is that I did this on New Game +, which is stupid that I can't, like, 'revert' for the DLC, considering I beat the game before it came out. So everything is not only new and seemingly stronger than regular non-DLC foes, but it's all new too. It's just exhausting, and this is coming from someone who beat the entire game and half the chapel dungeons.

The DLC is ridiculously imbalanced and lets you enter it right after what could potentially be the second boss in the game for you, even though its enemies have hundreds to thousands of HP. And despite being massive sponges that turn the whole experience into a slog, they drop incredibly few echoes so you're not going to get to levelup or buy items much. They have the health of depth 4-5 chalice dungeon enemies but only drop the number of echoes you'd see in maybe depth 2. Also I really hope you liked the way the base game favored strength builds over everything else, because strength weapons are (nearly) all you're going to find until you can get past the first DLC boss.

You may want to stick with it just to the first boss so you can see what weapons are available early in the DLC, in in case you want to use one of them on a character who will go through the whole thing in NG. I hate the way the DLC copied the base game's problems with build diversity, right now to including a token option for bloodtinge and arcane but putting them way later in the game, which means only strength builds actually get their weapons early on. The weapons themselves are super fun to use though. I loved the church pick and rakuyo but you have to go on a fuckin journey to get them so they're pretty much just for NG+ or chalice dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Actually you can get an amazing Skill weapon (Beasthunter Saif) and an amazing Skill/BLT weapon (Simon's Bowblade) before the first boss. The only build that gets dicked is a pure-ARC build, but that's true of the base game.

You can get to the DLC earlier than you're able to handle it, that's true. But that's not new turf for Souls games in general. Theoretically, you would enter the DLC, get completely owned by the first mook, and gently caress off for a long time. This has been a thing since the beginning of Dark 1, so it's not like that came out of nowhere.

Hunter's Nightmare (the first zone) does not yield enough souls for the difficulty level, that's true. But it's not Depth 4 or 5 difficulty, as that's full-on NG+ territory; it's closer to Depth 3 (end-game NG). It's true that the loot and echoes are tuned for mid-game NG though (roughly equal to Nightmare Frontier). Once you get beyond that first boss though, the loot/echo yield catch up to the difficulty and it's all gravy from there. Unfortunately, that first boss is quite a challenge so it can be a while before you get past it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bloodborne has really lovely NG+ scaling. The bosses were all hp-spongey enough in NG, and NG+ takes it to a ridiculous degree. Combine that with the fact that you can reach the limit of your stat scaling shortly into NG+ and it's a real slog. Speaking of slogs I really didn't need to fight Rom three times.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm kind of glad I didn't grab the DLC for bloodborne right away because the game is really inconsistent with its quality. Once you get over the fact that it's not like Dark Souls and you can't build your character however you want, the gameplay is fine and you adapt. But some segments of the game just aren't really fun and I don't like most of the bosses are that great either. Not because they kept killing me, but because I'm dashing around a dark murky grey room hitting a dark murky grey blob of flailing poo poo. Is it a man or is it a giant wolf, I don't know. Good luck shooting them at the right second to counter their attacks though, assuming you can tell an arm apart from an errant bit of fur or maybe that's a tail sticking out of its neck. Bloodborne is the first souls game I've enjoyed watching videos about it more than I've enjoyed playing it. It looks really cool and the world is interesting. But every time I play it, it feels like I'm just walking through that blight town swamp forever.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Woolie Wool posted:

Download Climates of Tamriel, Vurt's foliage, and one of the modding thread recommended ENBs. Problem solved, the game is now rich and vibrant.

"Well if you install a bunch of third party mods it becomes tolerable" is not a valid excuse for this sort of thing. If you need third party mods to make a game good, then it is a bad game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If any game needs a moratorium in this thread, it's probably Skyrim, because that game is a steamy pile but a great deal of its problems are fixed by mods. Which don't absolve Bethesda from loving up, but they do improve the player experience nonetheless.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

"Well if you install a bunch of third party mods it becomes tolerable" is not a valid excuse for this sort of thing. If you need third party mods to make a game good, then it is a bad game.

Bethesda.txt

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I actually think most of Skyrim is really pretty and has a fairly diverse climate for the cold setting. Like yeah, Winterhold and Windhelm look really snowy and bleak but the open plains of Whiterun has a nice charm to it and the Falkreath, Markarth, and Riften areas actually look pretty pleasant to me. But then, I've lived in Minnesota my whole life so frozen hellscapes don't really faze me that much.
This poo poo, as well as the criticisms of Morrowind having a "bland biome" where "everything is brown" really cracked me up, as someone actually living on a volcanic island in the northern Atlantic.

Guess what guys? If I look out the window, I'm not going to see a shitload of colour except in summer. And for all the things wrong in Skyrim, it's just an odd thing to focus on.

Another thing dragging Skyrim down aside from being "A puddle miles wide and inches deep", is the lack of versmililtude. Nothing makes sense, on a societal scale. It's a real bummer because Morrowind and hell, even Oblivion, for its faults, at least had farms, bookmakers, poo poo that an actual society would have.

Skyrim? Ehh. If you mod it so much that only perhaps the skeleton of the game remains, it's OK.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

If playing Elder Scrolls has taught me anything, it's that every game is the worst in the series. That said, the main thing dragging the series down is that we don't go the loving weird places. Shivering Isles was pretty much the best part of Oblivion by miles and still, in my opinion, better than any of the other peaks of the series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ramos posted:

If playing Final Fantasy has taught me anything, it's that every game is the worst in the series.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The thing dragging down Final Fantasy is that I don't get to play dress up in more of them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Morrowind was never, at any point, the worst game in the series.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
All this Dark souls talk has convinced me to give it another try. I played a little, beat the first boss pretty easily, but then when I got to the overworld everything seemed to lead to really impossible enemies. Maybe if i stop and observe more, I'll get the hang of it because that sounds fun.

Can you recommend a good intro class/setup/whatever for me? is there something specific I should be doing once I get outside? I've been going up to that bridge area because it looks cool, but I got poisoned and died slowly with nothing to heal, kept ffalling in pits, and/or found a bunch of enemies that pinged me to death.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Drunk Nerds posted:

All this Dark souls talk has convinced me to give it another try. I played a little, beat the first boss pretty easily, but then when I got to the overworld everything seemed to lead to really impossible enemies. Maybe if i stop and observe more, I'll get the hang of it because that sounds fun.

Can you recommend a good intro class/setup/whatever for me? is there something specific I should be doing once I get outside? I've been going up to that bridge area because it looks cool, but I got poisoned and died slowly with nothing to heal, kept ffalling in pits, and/or found a bunch of enemies that pinged me to death.

The bridge is where you're intended to go to start with, it's go the easiest enemies technically but I'm not a huge fan of the undead burg for the very reasons you just listed. It's got a lot of guys in high places that annoy you. The graveyard with the skeletons is a bit harder but there's some good treasure in the graveyard if you just run in and grab the sparkly bits. The skeletons are good for practicing parries and backstabs if you just want to get a hang of the combat system.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah, because it was the best.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Sorry, Morrowind sucks.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Knight and Warrior are the safe bets to start with. They have decent shields and shielding is going to be crucial to learning how to beat the game. If you want to go two handed, go look how to get the Zweihander on youtube or something, it's in the graveyard and easily fetchable with a death run. It's a very powerful weapon and with some learning, you can easily knock even a lot of heavier enemies about with it.

And yeah, you want to go up the staircase to the bridge, it's the easiest path for beginners.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(according to my brother) every level of Bro Force begins with two seconds of lag, because of the game auto saving.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I grabbed Broforce for free on PSN a few days ago and until today I would have heartily recommended it, but the game really gets poo poo as it goes on.

For one thing, the Bro system is kind of terrible. You start off as whatever bro. You find cages in the levels and break them to "rescue" new bros. When you rescue them, you get an extra life. Considering you always die in one hit (except if your the Boondock Bros), there's really no reason to not rescue the Bros because you'll die from random stray bullets all the time. Plus, the more guys you rescue, the more new Bros you unlock for use. The problem is, when you rescue a bro, you automatically become that bro. You don't have a choice. If you like your current bro, you either have to give up an extra life (and if you die you respawn as a new bro anyway), or you have to sacrifice your bro and hope the guy you rescued isn't poo poo.

This isn't a big deal in the first third of the game or so because all the approaches are viable, but as the game goes on and you unlock more bros you start to really resent the system because getting a bad bro can completely gently caress you. A lot of them are very situational (especially Macguver bro, who only throws bombs. Or Cherry Darling, who only shoots downwards and walks poorly). As time goes on a lot of the enemies start getting explosive and the explosive barrels get more frequent, and the discrepancy between bros gets more noticeable. By the end of the game melee Bros like Conan or Blade are actively dangerous to get stuck with. There are enemies in the final section of the game that explode pretty much on contact, and they are flying around everywhere. You simply don't stand a chance if you get stuck with a melee bro, and it's aggravating as poo poo, because by the end it feels like your fighting the random bro system instead of the enemies. You essentially just keep rolling the dice until you spawn a good bro.

The game really needs to let you be able to control who you are to some degree, like being able to cycle through a limited number of bros you pre-select or from whoever you've rescued from the level. If the Bros were all functionally the same character with minor differences, this wouldn't be an issue. But the difference in having Conan make wimpy slashes at dangerously close range and having Dredd shoot homing bullets from a safe perch is almost gamebreakingly huge. I want to manually turn on hard mode, not have the game decide to give it to me whenever.

Honestly though, if the mechanic is okay with you, whatever. But by the final levels, the game started to dip into very low framerates, very frequently. Even the simple pixel art was making the game lag. One type of enemy i never got a clear look at, because whenever it was on screen everything turned molasses and half the frames made it invisible. It was barely playable. I fought through it, mostly because I knew I was at the end of the game, but it was pretty terrible.

Then, against the final boss, during his second form, it bugged out on me. I lost a life and never respawned. The game just kept playing. I figured whatever, quit out, try the boss again. Nope. Turns out if you quit a level, you quit the entire section. For reference, most "levels" are made up of 3-5 areas. The final level is about 10+ sections of extreme low framerate chugging bullshit enemies crap over and over again. I had spent about 2 hours fighting that poo poo only to lose all the progress because of a bug. I doubt I'll pick up the game again. It's a shame, because it really is fun when things are going good.

BillmasterCozb posted:

(according to my brother) every level of Bro Force begins with two seconds of lag, because of the game auto saving.

And the only thing that lags is your character. Not the enemies. I had many deaths caused by running to start the level, my character freezes for a second, and an enemy hits me while I'm frozen

gently caress Broforce man

Febreeze has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Mar 16, 2016

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Drunk Nerds posted:

git gud!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Don't let that dumb image influence you too much. Dark Souls is 75% knowing where poo poo is/how stuff works/what bosses do and 25% getting the controls down. Take your time, run through poo poo like a moron, it really doesn't matter. The penalty for dying is next to nothing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

recommending mods to make someone's experience more enjoyable isn't making excuses for the game. He didn't say "this isn't actually a problem with Skyrim because you can install x, praise Bethesda for their foreknowledge", he just said "hello friend, if you're not enjoying this part, x might make your experience better and help you enjoy yourself, happy Gaming"

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Here's something dragging down Crusader Kings 2: There's this religion called "Zunism". They worship a sun god, Zun. They are pagans. This basically means they are partially shafted in offense and inheritance (both important things in CK2) though somewhat less so than other pagans on the second part.

All pagan religions can "reform" if they hold at least 3 holy sites and reach 50% moral authority. You raise this by burning down other religions temples, conquering neighbouring land, dudes being paragons of your religion and claiming said holy sites. The last part is the only thing that is permanent. You can lose it in a bunch of ways too.

Now, reforming is pretty important. It lets you get non-lovely inheritance laws. It gets you the ability to conquer more than a tiny sliver of land from your enemies. It gets you a holy order, which you can hire to fight in wars against religious enemies. (I.e. everyone in the world.)

Anyway, the point is this: there's three holy sites you can reasonably reach. Two are in Afghanistan, where you start. One is in India, in a large kingdom, but not so large that you can't handle it with a bit of planning and luck.

The other two are respectively, in Baghdad, the capital of the largest and strongest empire in the game.

The other one is Egypt. Which is also part of that empire. Why, you might ask?

Because that's where the temple of Heliopolis is.

I honestly wonder if this shouldn't be in dev trolls or not...

Well, it's a gimmick challenge mode religion, so I'm guessing it's kinda the point? The whole concept of reforming pagan religions seems to be "What improbable and impressive archievement would be sufficient for this niche and disorganized belief system to suddenly gain geopolitical importance". :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

If any game needs a moratorium in this thread, it's probably Skyrim, because that game is a steamy pile but a great deal of its problems are fixed by mods. Which don't absolve Bethesda from loving up, but they do improve the player experience nonetheless.
So you want this thread's problems to be fixed by mods?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FactsAreUseless posted:

So you want this thread's problems to be fixed by mods?

Yeah but only mods from Lovers Lab.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Nuebot posted:

It's kind of weird because this game is basically the reverse of every other game. I love just zooming around blowing up hoards of smaller dudes but the PG fights and stuff are usually no fun because they just have such huge unavoidable attacks that it becomes a nightmare. Like, I did the Apsallus fight earlier today and there's nowhere in the arena you can avoid his spinning laser attack in phase one. So if he decides to just do that the whole fight you're hosed. However it did inspire me to start upgrading my gear now and so I shoved on a Master Gundam head and my gundam regens health so fast now I'm basically god. :shrug:

PGs do have parts you can break off that seems to stop them doing some attacks but it still takes a while. I put a bunch of firearm Builder Parts on my mech anyway which seemed effective, same for whittling down Apsallus. Still took a while.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

The most important thing is when you get out of the asylum to the first bonfire and you are facing the temple you go right to go up the hill to town and not through the temple to the graveyard with the super skeletons or underground to the loving ghosts at the start.

For the easiest mode possible the sorcerer well wreck everything because you can do heavy damage from range. You don't need giant strength or dex, you just need the int to do the big spells and the bare minimum strength/dex to use the mop up weapon of your choice. The way it goes with the weapon is you upgrade it to an elemental damage type eventually at which point your physical stats stop mattering.

Looking at guide quickly isn't a crime but you might want to save extensive reading for later because the sense of being lost and surprised is a drawing factor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the console version of The Division consumables are really annoying to use. Selecting them is awkward because you have to hold right on the d-pad and then kind of hold the cursor on the item long enough that it registers you want to use it, if you don't it just closes the selection and nothing happens. Also the duration on the items is way too low, defaulting to just 30 seconds, which isn't long enough for most firefights

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm playing Fallout 4 again after putting it down for like 3 months and apparently Bethesda decided to solve the "your allies hate you forever if you accidentally hit one of them in the chaos of a pitched battle" issue (was there anyone who didn't get immediately arrested after being proclaimed the hero of the battle of Bruma?) by making it so that your allies will never turn on you. Which robs my decision to betray the Brotherhood and the Railroad to side with the Institute of a lot of gravity when no one reacts because they seem to think I showed up to a pitched battle as a neutral observer and only killed those dozen Brotherhood troopers and three vertibirds by accident. Some kind of middle ground would have been nice.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It's a Bethesda game. If you can't deal with it, all Bethesda games are bad, go play something else.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
The Witcher 3: Geralt seems to think that combat is over and will put his sword away if the enemies wander more than ten yards from him. Cue a Wraith appearing or getting dinged by an arrow.

Enemies seem to think this, too. I'll be chasing someone with I was just fighting with my sword drawn as they saunter back to their cave.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Mar 16, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Woolie Wool posted:

It's a Bethesda game. If you can't deal with it, all Bethesda games are bad, go play something else.

There's a guy in the Fallout 4 thread who hates the game but is replaying it in case he missed anything good. What is this bizarre power Bethesda games have that people hate them but keep playing them over and iver?!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

2house2fly posted:

There's a guy in the Fallout 4 thread who hates the game but is replaying it in case he missed anything good. What is this bizarre power Bethesda games have that people hate them but keep playing them over and iver?!

Probably that cash register sound when you do something good or whatever.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Black Flag: Why do the Assassins give me the Rope Darts to use at the end of Sequence 11 out of 12, when the game's almost over? They're hardly game-breaking, I only used them for achievement purposes. Why not give them to the player the same time they get the blowpipe early on, which is also a gift from the Assassins.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

In the console version of The Division consumables are really annoying to use. Selecting them is awkward because you have to hold right on the d-pad and then kind of hold the cursor on the item long enough that it registers you want to use it, if you don't it just closes the selection and nothing happens. Also the duration on the items is way too low, defaulting to just 30 seconds, which isn't long enough for most firefights

It's bad on the PC as well, the mouse selection makes it super fiddly although you can get around it by binding specific consumables to different keys.

While I love the Division, the thing dragging it down is the level scaling with friends. It's great to play in groups and makes it super easy to matchmake but it levels up enemies towards the highest level group member. When I was level 26 playing with my level 6 friend, the enemies were level 19. It was lovely for both of us because the enemies were trivial for me but instakilled my friend. It's pretty quick to level but I have no idea why they put that lovely system when there are so many other options that makes it fun for both players. Maybe I got spoiled by Guild Wars 2.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

2house2fly posted:

Good lord, even I wasn't that bad, and I hateplayed it through to the end.

I knew the game was bad, I just wanted to have an educated view as to why!

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

2house2fly posted:

I don't know, but Icefrog, Valve, or Riot Games might have some insight into that.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I just stopped playing when I realized I hated it, but this doesn't really surprise me.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

This time he's gonna LIKE NEWSPAPERS

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Woolie Wool posted:

I don't play Bethesda games for precisely that reason. Thanks for being weirdly aggressive about it though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Well, it's a gimmick challenge mode religion, so I'm guessing it's kinda the point? The whole concept of reforming pagan religions seems to be "What improbable and impressive archievement would be sufficient for this niche and disorganized belief system to suddenly gain geopolitical importance". :shrug:

Also Zunism basically didn't exist as its own thing. The real Zunism was the personal cult of that one Afghan dynasty, so it's like saying Rome followed Venusism under Julius Caesar because he venerated the goddess especially.

Since it's almost totally invented from whole cloth for the game, the holy sites in Heliopolis and Baghdad are so you can use it as any of the various Sun-worshipping faiths in that part of the world, from Ra to Shamash to Surya.