Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Obviously it was before the officers were disciplined, but I showed my straight white male dad this over the weekend and he immediately excused their behavior.

He saw that it took the guy a couple seconds to register that he got hit, and then at the top of the stairs he turned around and made an aggressive move. That was when the police tackled the black man instead of the man who threw the forearm. "They arrested the guy the next day, so what's the harm?" :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

BonoMan posted:

Yes we did!

He just happened to be some rando truck driver that somehow won the primary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_gubernatorial_election,_2015

quote:

Gray stated he spent between $50 and $60 on his campaign and had no formal ties to Mississippi politics or politicians. Gray's bid for governor was incited by his belief that incumbent governor Phil Bryant was failing to help improve life in a state where poverty is a persistent problem.[8] He did not receive any campaign donations during his Democratic primary campaign.[9]

Explanations for Gray's surprise win ranged from his name appearing first on the ballot to the fact that he was the only man on the ballot running against two women.[10]

Amazing.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

weekly font posted:

Five sherrifs deputies suspended, three of them demoted for "failure to act" when the protester got sucker punched at the Trump rally. Can't fuckin' believe something was done.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lina/?tid=sm_fb

Good.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

peengers posted:

If the dems want the rural poor white vote, they're going to have to dismantle decades of dogwhistle rhetoric to get it. I'm not even sure where to start with that, especially with how impotent and disorganized the dems are in southern states like Mississippi. They didn't even field a candidate for the governor's race last election cycle.

Outside of the relatively brief realignment period of the late 70s to 2000, the South has been a one-party system. Even into the 60s, the Republican Party in a lot of those states was just a post office box owned by the national party. One of the big issues at the 1952 RNC was a fight over whether to seat the Southern delegations, given that their members lived in New York and Chicago.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is there any data about the effect of voter id laws so far?

Well, http://www.thenation.com/article/north-carolinas-voter-id-law-could-block-218000-registered-voters-from-the-polls/

It mentions that in North Carolina alone, 218,000 registered voters found themselves without an acceptable form of ID they would need to vote in the primary. Those laws disproportionally affect Democratic-leaning voters. Now, while Dem turnout is down a little this year compared to 2008, it's down by around 500,000 votes in NC. Republican turnout is up.

On the other hand - Illinois, for example, cast around the same number of votes this year as they did in 2008. No ID is necessary to vote there.

More: http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/03/15/3760266/north-carolina-voter-id/

tl;dr voter ID laws are having the exact effect that is desired, as explained by idiots who can't keep their mouth shut about their poo poo plan to gently caress over black people.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Syjefroi posted:

Well, http://www.thenation.com/article/north-carolinas-voter-id-law-could-block-218000-registered-voters-from-the-polls/

It mentions that in North Carolina alone, 218,000 registered voters found themselves without an acceptable form of ID they would need to vote in the primary. Those laws disproportionally affect Democratic-leaning voters. Now, while Dem turnout is down a little this year compared to 2008, it's down by around 500,000 votes in NC. Republican turnout is up.

On the other hand - Illinois, for example, cast around the same number of votes this year as they did in 2008. No ID is necessary to vote there.

More: http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/03/15/3760266/north-carolina-voter-id/

tl;dr voter ID laws are having the exact effect that is desired, as explained by idiots who can't keep their mouth shut about their poo poo plan to gently caress over black people.

There's also a good repository of research papers on that subject here, assembled by the Brennan Center.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Kokoro Wish posted:

Absolutely outstanding sound from a CNBC interview with Asher Edelman, the Wall Streeter who they based Gordon Gecko on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjKD8PcjCV0&t=5514s

Absolutely hilarious.

This is loving outstanding, and a completely simple point that escapes our ruling economic class.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

weekly font posted:

Five sherrifs deputies suspended, three of them demoted for "failure to act" when the protester got sucker punched at the Trump rally. Can't fuckin' believe something was done.

Countdown to Trump defending the cops and calling for them to be reinstated. Seriously, this will probably happen at the next rally.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

This is loving outstanding, and a completely simple point that escapes our ruling economic class.

I'm not even sure the hosts understood his point after he had finished making it and reiterating it twice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has there been much research on the physical and psychological effects of being a presidential candidate and what it's like to campaign day in and day out for like a whole goddamn year? I'm kind of fascinated by the whole thing and I don't understand how anyone could have the energy for all of it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Absolutely outstanding sound from a CNBC interview with Asher Edelman, the Wall Streeter who they based Gordon Gecko on:

Absolutely hilarious.

Pro-listen and pretty hilarious to hear CNBC hosts sounding so shocked at his statements.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

mdemone posted:

I'm not even sure the hosts understood his point after he had finished making it and reiterating it twice.

It's amazing. They genuinely do not comprehend a word coming out of his mouth, or know how to respond to it.

When he asks them who they mean by nobody, the point he's driving at completely escapes them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mississippi.txt

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

a shameful boehner posted:

Pro-listen and pretty hilarious to hear CNBC hosts sounding so shocked at his statements.

The follow-up when they ask about the election is almost as good, when they ask who he supports as an economic candidate and he instantly replies "Bernie Sanders", without hesitation. I can only imagine the stunned looks on their faces.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm on mobile and I'm not gonna watch a YouTube video--what's his point?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Chantilly Say posted:

Basically poor people are hosed and bernie is best for the economy.

Edit: have been hosed for the past 15 years due to stagnating wages, and when they try to bring up that "nobody else agrees", he asks "who's nobody?"

They are all flummoxed because they can't conceive of the fact that poor people whose wages haven't grown are actually out there and are actually hosed.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 17, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Chantilly Say posted:

"80% of Americans are in a recession. We at the top are not. But most Americans are."

"Everyone we sit and talk with aren't."

"Who is that?"

"Investors, Feds and guests on our show."

"That's not your average loving american you dipshit. God you loving idiots don't get that the majority of americans haven't had a pay increase in 15 years but the costs of goods keeps going up?"

"But my rich friends - "

"GOD YOU IDIOT."

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

weekly font posted:

I am pleasantly shocked

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

Harrow posted:

Has there been much research on the physical and psychological effects of being a presidential candidate and what it's like to campaign day in and day out for like a whole goddamn year? I'm kind of fascinated by the whole thing and I don't understand how anyone could have the energy for all of it.

Probably not, you're talking about a few dozen people per decade, most of whom wouldn't willingly sign up for a study like that. There are plenty of anecdotes about various candidates though, if you follow the right journalists.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chantilly Say posted:

CNBC talks economics with rich guy. Rich guy repeatedly blindsides them by reminding them that the non-rich matter. Like, the guy doesn't really care from a social point of view. He basically goes "Yeah, we're rich so for us the economy's doing great. But 80% of the population is suffering a recession. Their wages are stagnated and costs of living are increasing, that's a recession."

"But, no one's doing worse off?"

"What do you mean nobody?" Unsaid: "Moments ago I just said that for the past fifteen years the country has been in an effective recession for 80% or more of the country YOU STUPID, THICK-HEADED WOMAN! Are they nobody?"

Also they ask him which presidential hopeful would be the best for the nation. WIthout a pause he answers "Bernie Sanders" No hesitation, blurts it out.

This is the man who they based Gorden Gecko off of, the poster child for Hollywood greedy sociopath CEO. And he is telling these idiots at CNBC that no, not everything is good with the economy. poo poo is loving broken, the rich have sucked up too much of the money from the lower classes and therefore the machine is falling apart.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

They are a very rare breed of person. This is why Palin and Fred Thompson eventually copped out, they were lazy like me.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

mdemone posted:

All CNBC anchors are implanted with a chip that sends an electrical pulse into their brain if they come too close to understanding the end of Capitalism.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Kokoro Wish posted:

Absolutely hilarious.

Here is the video not just the audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xSVzdUNqo

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Alkydere posted:

CNBC talks economics with rich guy. Rich guy repeatedly blindsides them by reminding them that the non-rich matter. Like, the guy doesn't really care from a social point of view. He basically goes "Yeah, we're rich so for us the economy's doing great. But 80% of the population is suffering a recession. Their wages are stagnated and costs of living are increasing, that's a recession."

"But, no one's doing worse off?"

"What do you mean nobody?" Unsaid: "Moments ago I just said that for the past fifteen years the country has been in an effective recession for 80% or more of the country YOU STUPID, THICK-HEADED WOMAN! Are they nobody?"

Also they ask him which presidential hopeful would be the best for the nation. WIthout a pause he answers "Bernie Sanders" No hesitation, blurts it out.

This is the man who they based Gorden Gecko off of, the poster child for Hollywood greedy sociopath CEO. And he is telling these idiots at CNBC that no, not everything is good with the economy. poo poo is loving broken, the rich have sucked up too much of the money from the lower classes and therefore the machine is falling apart.

And he told it from the prospective of a capitalist that wants to be able to continue making money off of poors long term, but the poors are running out of it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

gohmak posted:

Oh this is so much better with video.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Alkydere posted:

To be fair, and I say this as someone who totally agrees with the core of what he's saying, I don't think it's that weird that the CNBC hosts were shocked. Like, "recession" is a word that has a meaning and a few different technical definitions, none of which line up with what he's saying. I'm a super leftist douchebag who thinks that the US economy has been failing in various ways since the 90s, and I'd still raise an eyebrow at anyone who says that we're in a recession right now.

Their inability to comprehend what he's saying after he explains it is pretty hilarious, though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

gohmak posted:

And he told it from the prospective of a capitalist that wants to be able to continue making money off of poors long term, but the poors are running out of it.

Pretty much. I wanted to make that point but I forgot. Basically he outright says he does not give one poo poo about the social issues. He's saying that "This situation is untenable. I would love more money, yes, but if I take it the nation's economy falls apart at the seams. Dear other rich people: figure this poo poo out, you are poisoning your own well. Having the biggest portfolio on the block means nothing when the economy falls apart."

He doesn't care that the nation is in a recession because it means the average non-rich person's life sucks more. He cares because he's aware that the market that really drives the economy is not the minority of rich people, it's the vast majority of not-rich people. And if the not-rich people don't have any money to spend, well then the economy falls apart, his job falls apart, and eventually the nation itself falls apart. And he's trying to beat it into other rich people's skulls to stop breaking the system that supports them and their lifestyles.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Ahhhhahaha. That video. "Who's your nobody?", he says with a smile. Followed by looks of utter bafflement and the guys in the middle just looking around, befuddled and smiling vacantly.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair, and I say this as someone who totally agrees with the core of what he's saying, I don't think it's that weird that the CNBC hosts were shocked. Like, "recession" is a word that has a meaning and a few different technical definitions, none of which line up with what he's saying. I'm a super leftist douchebag who thinks that the US economy has been failing in various ways since the 90s, and I'd still raise an eyebrow at anyone who says that we're in a recession right now.

Their inability to comprehend what he's saying after he explains it is pretty hilarious, though.

Yeah the astonishing part is that they can't seem to think outside of their incredibly tight, well insulated, financially secure bubble.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

gohmak posted:

"You can shear a sheep many times, but skin him only once."

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I like the guy who starts defending capitalism by saying that it just isn't supposed to be a morally good force that rewards people for their respective social good, and so we shouldn't talk about how bad a job it does at that and how it doesn't matter that it is a horrifyingly dehumanizing system for millions.

Which is stupid and immediately rebuked by the guy saying it IS an economic issue because you need poor people to have money to spend otherwise the system collapses.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

gohmak posted:

It's weird to see a hardcore capitalist these days who realizes the truth about capitalism, that everyone has to have money for it to work at all and not just the people at the top. It's even weirder to see it pointed out from one of the most notorious corporate raiders in the world

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

gohmak posted:

"Nobody says we're in a recession."

"Who's your nobody?" -owned

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Ahhhhahaha. That video. "Who's your nobody?", he says with a smile. Followed by looks of utter bafflement and the guys in the middle just looking around, befuddled and smiling vacantly.

The best part.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

weekly font posted:

Trump posted:

Trump said Sunday that he was considering paying McGraw's legal fees, but by Tuesday had already backed off that position, saying he "never said I was going to pay for fees."

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Anecdotally the only white (also republican) family with elementary school age kids in my rich neighborhood homeschooled their kids rather than send them to the 95 percent Asian elementary school which is ranked as among the very best in the entire state and is responsible for crazy expensive property values here

Like why the gently caress would you blow a million plus on a house here if you won't even send your kids to the school responsible for your huge asset

The model minority myth had it's uses, but in cities like Cupertino and San Jose it's been played out since instead of a few quiet token models you now have entire districts that are plurality/majority asian. In the rest of the country white people would justify their flight with words like "crime" and "schools." And yet in heavily Asian school districts white people are fleeing again because of "asian robots" and getting buttblasted over not being good enough. Almost like the underlying reason for white flight was always racism.

Also probably explains why trump was so popular with some of the people's parents I know, even though we grew up in a bougie area.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 17, 2016

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Yeah the astonishing part is that they can't seem to think outside of their incredibly tight, well insulated, financially secure bubble.

They've effectively decoupled from the rest of society. In their minds the stock market powers itself and anyone outside of the "investing public" might as well not exist.

Edelman tried to get through to them and tell them otherwise but he didn't make a dent.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Peven Stan posted:

The model minority myth had it's uses, but in cities like Cupertino and San Jose it's been played out since instead of a few quiet token models you now have entire districts that are plurality/majority asian. In the rest of the countries white people would justify their flight with words like "crime" and "schools." And yet in heavily Asian school districts white people are fleeing again because of "asian robots" and getting buttblasted over not being good enough. Almost like the underlying reason for white flight was always racism.

Also probably explains why trump was so popular with some of the people's parents I know, even though we grew up in a bougie area.

heh, and now that asians have moved into white territory over the course of the new millennium (e.g. pleasanton, san ramon, dublin) they're fleeing for even whiter pastures

the aforementioned places being where the white flight generation of the 90s went after the :derp: asian invasion :derp: hit my area

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 17, 2016

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

rkajdi posted:

Culture is only a generation thick at best, so you can solve the problem in 30 or so years at the worst.

you should ask australia how that whole stolen generation thing turned out for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Luceid posted:

you should ask australia how that whole stolen generation thing turned out for them

I actually saw a documentary on it while I was visiting there, it's weird to see it being suggested here by ... whatever the hell that political leaning is.

• Locked thread