Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Looking forward to it.

Have fun in Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Chicago might have been too much fun

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Please be ok, Chokes!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As amusing as it is to watch the thread freak out about a five-day disappearance, Chokes is fine. He's just busy with his other LP and, y'know, with life in general.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hey. Hey thread. Hey.

Hey.

Work sucks.

Here's an update.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Intermezzo II: I've Got No Strings to Hold Me Down

Mother of Antichrist what is that smell oh it's you again.

Since you killed Gilex and broke a binding there's been a bit of an uproar. As a result they've increased security on block 3. They set up something called the path of pain to protect the second binding.

That's not good.

Yeah. It sounds kind of painful!

...speaking of which...

Because I swear, if you throw yourself off one more cliff...

...you'll do what? I'm the only person in this place that can cast the Chant of Unmaking. You're stuck with me whether you like it or not.

...dammit.

Yeah, that's what's up. :colbert:

Fashionable.

It's the new look this season. Dunno why.

Hey, have you considered updating your wardrobe, chief? Maybe it'll help you get a date with the Spirit.

...hmm...

...you realize that was a joke. Right? I am literally telling you to go put on a noose.

...so what I'm hearing is, if you were joking about the noose, then you weren't joking about the Spirit.

Do those horns of yours just randomly block out what other people say?

What?

Home Evil Home! Now that we've broken a binding, a few things have changed.

Our friendly(?) undead shopkeeper now has steel gear available! It's more or less pointless now, as Vlad and Frank have theirs and our two magic users have special staves. It's also a sign that things are about to get a little more dicey. They don't call it the Path of Pain because it's enjoyable, I'll tell you that much.

We do pick up Full Plate Armor, though, which Frank has been sorely lacking for a while. This should catch his defense up. Normally, this would be the point where he starts casting Challenge for most fights but, well, :laffo: drops.

Let's see what the local baddies have to say!

I've heard those sensitive to magic can feel the presence of such spells.

Hey, our boss is sensitive to magic!

...so I'm thinking if I take her out for tequilla shots...

And not much else.

Actually I'm just messing with you. You'll be fine since you're sensitive to—

What do you guys think? Black roses? Pommegranites? Willow, you have ovaries, help me out here.

...or not.

Sounds like Myles is our next target. We have other things to do here, of course—but first, let's rest up.

where did the little fishy go

It's in your trousers!

I would like to wake up now :gonk:

And after that, of course, is...

Brought ya somethin'.

Well, it's about time.

NO NO NO NO AIIIIIIEEEEEEEeeeeeeee...

That was neat! Do it again!

Sure—if you find me another soul.

Deal. Now, how about those catacombs?

All yours.

Well, here we are again.

At least we've got better gear now. And we're stronger!

gently caress yes we are. There's nothing down here that could possibly scare—

OH poo poo OH poo poo GET IT AWAY FRANK DO SOMETHING

Sure. Hey, what's up?

Heh, I find allot of spare parts down here. Maybe you be needing some spare parts too. Why don't you have a look at what I found.

There you go, chief. I did something.

Well, yeah, of course he's a salesman. That's why I wanted you to talk to him, Frank. As a CPA, you can get us the best deals.

Gods drat I'm smart. :smug:

Sure.

Here's the Puppet Parts salesthing! :woop: He(?) is always on Floor 2 of the catacombs and sells basic Puppet Gear to get your horrible wooden nightmare up to speed. You'll notice that, in addition to stat bonuses, you can also give you puppet different special attacks by equipping certain arms. Each arm corresponds to a type of monster you can summon and will give the puppet a certain number of their skills. I assume you get more skills the stronger the arm you equip, but I don't really know.

Also, razor blade arm with Arterial Slice and Bloodbath. Just thought I'd highlight that one for you.

photo bomb

Little bastards managed to get down here, too!

It's an infestation!

Yeah, but where's it coming from? If you can kill that off, the rest'll probably stop coming.

That's good thinkin', Vlad. I'll have to try that.

You'll notice the fights are steadily increasing in difficulty. Our guys weren't kidding, though—they're noticeably more powerful than the last time we were here.

Here, you can see the Sorceror and Willow went full ham with their poison skills, once again exploiting DoTs to take down heavily armored targets. Also, I didn't notice this during our fight with Gilex, but the Poison skill granted by the Arcanite Staff actually does direct damage when you cast it. Nice!

:stare:

Woah. Guy on the right's got a serious case of scrotum-chin goin' on.

The Dwarf Fighter is an incredibly unfortunately drawn mob that's on par with the other Fighters we've seen. I know that's supposed to be his breastplate, but you cannot tell me for one second you didn't think the same thing the Sorceror did when you saw him. :dong:

ARGH RIGHT IN THE CHIN

That should be the last of 'em.

Great. Now, gimme dat sweet, sweet loot.

Wh...why would anyone just carry these around at random?

Who cares, check this poo poo out

:circlefap:

I'd now like to draw your attention to an earlier update:

Chokes McGee posted:

However. If you can get the right parts and a good rune for him, the Puppet can be an absolute nightmare fighter. Pump his stats up, slap a flamethrower arm and a guillotine arm on him, and watch him go to work! Yes, I said both "flamethrower arm" and "guillotine arm." SaGa Paper Sorceror, y'all!

I don't know what the hell is going on with the RNG, but I don't like it.

I LOVE IT

And with that (and some spare parts kicking around in our inventory), we can officially welcome the Killer Puppet into our party!

Bam! What do you guys think?

I like it! Kind of slapdash, but it still looks cool.

'Sides, always good to have one more person taking hits.

...I don't think this is a good idea...

Well, if you're gonna be a whiny little bitch about it, you can wait for us back at the inn. I'm taking this thing for a test drive.

This is going to be freaking awesome.

Ooh! Make him use the flamethrower first!

Man, I love flamethrowers. Always a good laugh.

they love me now, not you

:smith:

You know what I'm gonna say.

...no?

You know what I'm gonna say!

Nah.

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M GONNA SAY

No! We don't!

I WANNA DIP MY—

...b...balls in it?

The puppet is currently armed with Imp and Minotaur (!!) abilities, and he is not the least bit afraid to use them. Brutal Strike actually surpasses Inhuman Strike, though the damage range is wider, and Power Swing is loving incredible against groups, i.e. pretty much every non-boss encounter from here on out. On the other hand, DarkFire's a handy gadget spell at best and Flame is nothing incredible. Still, if you think I'm taking a flamethrower arm off my Killer Puppet minion then it's like you don't even know me. At all.

You'll also notice our energy levels are starting to go up. As mentioned earlier, I've already bought two levels of Energy control for Willow, so you can imagine my surprise when I looked at the stats and saw seven. More energy means more special attacks without having to catch our breath. This is a very good thing for a healer.

Rest of the fight goes more or less like you'd expect...

...as does the dungeon at large.

there are no strings on me~

:stonk:

At least it's not another puppet.

Yeah. I'm reeeeeeeally starting to have second thoughts about that decision.

Will you guys shut up so I can concentrate? Once I hoover up this free-standing mana, I can call someone else up to take hits for me.

...uh, I meant "help us."

...nah, you're right. I meant the other one. :shobon:

:siren: Decision Time :siren:

More power means a new party member to make fun of add to our roster! Here's the current list:

• Killer Puppet - Fully customizable party member, time/money sink but eventually worth it
  • Werewolf - Unarmed brawler
  • Minotaur - Cranks out stupid amounts of damage but tends to vary wildly in range
  • Skeleton - Think Frank but slightly more skewed towards physical damage
  • Ghost - Probably has the most powerful buffs and debuffs
  • Imp - You want spells? We got spells
  • Goblin - Gimmick fighter, claims to pick locks to bypass puzzles, I have never seen this be useful
  • Cultist - Healer, more physically durable than Willow but not as committed to magic
  • Troll - Glass cannon, can crank out a ton of damage but gets flattened pretty easily
  • Shadow - Randomized damage, basically Setzer from Finay Fantasy VI

Lock in your votes... now. The party member you choose will probably guest star in Canto III Stanza 1 at the very least, so choose accordingly!

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 16, 2016

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Power Swing carried me through my playthrough. So good.

And :ghost: obviously

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I'm really enjoying the Werewolf but he's boring. BRING ON THE SHADOW!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
:ghost:

Because a Soulless Puppet needs to be buddy-buddy with a Soul without a body!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My completely clueless vote of Werewolf purely because it punches things still stands! :downs:

Also it took a long hard look to see what you were referring to with the Dwarf Fighter so once I finally noticed I lost it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I'm still agitating for Werewolf myself. Wanna puppy!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
:ghost: is real good.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm gonna support :ghost:buddies.

Man that puppet may not be the most powerful thing, but it's certainly terrifying in its own way.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Completely unrelated to anything, but Vlad's "Find the Fish" dream sequence is probably the most amused I've been writing this stuff so far.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

I'm going to throw in a vote for :skeltal: , mostly to see what insanity Chokes can Create.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

You've got an army of tanks, a healer, and a puppet.

SEND IN THE GLASS CANNONS! One vote for Troll, please.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Chokes McGee posted:

Completely unrelated to anything, but Vlad's "Find the Fish" dream sequence is probably the most amused I've been writing this stuff so far.

It was a good reference, too!

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Minotaur, because who doesn't love Barbarians? I do. (Okay, I like mages, but whatever)

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Gotta have us a :ghost:

burnaboy
Jun 2, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Werewolf, so we can have a party made up of classic movie monsters.

burnaboy fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 16, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
:ghost: ghost gonna getcha

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Picayune posted:

I'm still agitating for Werewolf myself. Wanna puppy!

A puppy is a good idea. Might help calm Vlad's nerves.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:ghost: doesn't feel any pain, until we force it into the party.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lets get spoopy.
Ghost

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Ghost was absolutely indispensable when I played through the game, but I was on hard so maybe it's different from normal. I don't know if it's a typo in the formula or something but it felt like enemies' target-all physical attacks were utterly unreasonable compared to every other sort of attack; they'd one-shot weaker members from full and almost kill the tank, and it felt like the only way to win was to use the ghost to permanently disable enemies who can use them. The game's difficulty balance needed a bit more work -- the first two bosses are pretty drat hard, but bosses quickly become total pushovers compared to normal encounters. I think I game overed a half dozen times on the final floor before effortlessly steamrolling the final boss.

Naturally, what this means is that I can't let you get such a strong party member. Shadow.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

berryjon posted:

Because a Soulless Puppet needs to be buddy-buddy with a Soul without a body!

This makes way more sense than it should. Ghost

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
:ghost: doesn't have the world's greatest synergy with our team, but he's my favorite anyway so

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Still haven't come back to this yet. In my defense Disgaea PC is playable now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Ghost all the way.

Incidentally, it's spelled "pomegranate" and "a lot" :colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I want to see this ghost people are so excited about.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, Ghost all the way.

Incidentally, it's spelled "pomegranate" and "a lot" :colbert:

First one's on me, but the other one is sic. :shrug:

I'm going to go ahead and call it for Ghost because wow people like the Ghost. Gaming will proceed accordingly followed by an update as per Union standards.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

there are no strings on me~

Dear Lord what did I vote for?

On a completely unrelated and not at all terrified question; The only head-gear you can equip are helmet or magician type hats right? There's nothing in the game that's... fashionable, or some other haberdashery possible, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Also voting ghost since the only thing worse than an omnicidal puppet is a buffed omnicidal puppet attacking debuffed enemies.

e: nm, long long day so I didn't see it was already done.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 17, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

drat, I missed the vote.

Not that it mattered since I was going to be nice and recommend the :ghost:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you only pick up bonus puppet bits in these soul dungeons, or do they start showing up in the rest of the book now too?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You know, I think Vlad's dreams are only going to get worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Sxb0zP-Gg

:v:

This idea was stuck in my head since I saw the puppet sing part of the song... I did not have much to work with though for clips so...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Glazius posted:

Can you only pick up bonus puppet bits in these soul dungeons, or do they start showing up in the rest of the book now too?

I'm pretty sure they're Catacombs only, since the Puppet's an optional character you can only get down there. Could be wrong, though!

Also whoever said our current jerks wouldn't have synergy with the Ghost, you're about to get some hilarity. :getin:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SystemLogoff posted:

You know, I think Vlad's dreams are only going to get worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Sxb0zP-Gg

:v:

This idea was stuck in my head since I saw the puppet sing part of the song... I did not have much to work with though for clips so...

the last thing you see before you die

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm pretty sure they're Catacombs only, since the Puppet's an optional character you can only get down there. Could be wrong, though!

Also whoever said our current jerks wouldn't have synergy with the Ghost, you're about to get some hilarity. :getin:

I've found some in normal fights.

It's rare though, and surprised me the first time I saw it.

And I wasn't one of those naysayers, I knew what you could do with the Ghost :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
How come the succubus and dryad weren't on the list to be voted for? Are they just really awful or something? Just curious.

• Locked thread