Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have a private message notification thing that won't go away, any way to get rid of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I have a private message notification thing that won't go away, any way to get rid of it?

Just wait a while I think. For whatever reason, that badge just doesn't update in real time.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Requesting swiping right take you back to the previous page. Seems to be the only app that doesn't do this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

Just wait a while I think. For whatever reason, that badge just doesn't update in real time.

Gotcha, thanks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Kid CUDA posted:

It's been happening to me too for the last couple of days! Pokeyman ?

I got nothing, sorry. I don't have a lot of knobs to turn on the in-app web browser.

Diabolik900 posted:

Yep. There's no real good reason for this, I've just never gotten around to fixing it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've had this weird issue twice while editing a post that the app will crash and every time I try to reopen the app it goes back to the post editor then crashes. Force closing and hard resting the phone do not fix this issue, only deleting the app and reinstalling.

Next time I'll pay attention to where I was posting and any other factors you would like me to look out for.

Posting from an iPhone 6S Plus

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I couldn't resist phrasing it that way, but it's true. The forum index list thing seems frozen in time, some subforums lists are open and others are closed and if I try to change the state of either the app crashes. This is a change from previous behavior where the subforum lists automatically closed themselves more or less at random, which was fine because I could just reopen them. And I'm on version 9.11, heh.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And I'm on version 9.11, heh.

I don't think we can provide support for time travelers using versions from years in the future.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
God bless the devs that scrape this shitshow of a forum

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I keep getting this error on my office wi-fi. iPhone 5S 8.3.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

mistressminako posted:

I keep getting this error on my office wi-fi. iPhone 5S 8.3.

Can you browse the forums without issue through Safari? It looks to me like your office wifi is either blocking the forums or possibly altering the html of the page in some way.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 14, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Posting images is broken. Have been for months on my end.

(Code -1, tried to upload too fast!)

People need to see my dumb pictures and I am too lazy to go through Imgur on my own.

Hyperlinks also act up sometimes, I'm able to get them to open in the non-default browser which is better than nothing.

Sorry if this is just repeating stuff you guys are already aware of.

I have the same issue. This app is great and I love getting pics from my phone directly to the forums (sort of)!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if you edit a post, then hit cancel, then go quote a post, you will actually end up editing the post you were editing earlier. (rather than making a new post with quote as intended )

I think

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

also the bug where you can't click on links seems to happen after you go into browser mode and swipe right rather than hit "done". in case that hasn't been figured out yet.

personally I think all links should just open in safari proper since iOS now has the "back to Awful" feature so embedding Safari is useless IMO

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

if you edit a post, then hit cancel, then go quote a post, you will actually end up editing the post you were editing earlier. (rather than making a new post with quote as intended )

I think

I think that's intended since its for multi quoting

At least that's how I use it, go through a page and hit quote cancel quote cancel

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

I think that's intended since its for multi quoting

At least that's how I use it, go through a page and hit quote cancel quote cancel

You misunderstand. He's saying if you go to edit your post then cancel, then quote a post, you end up back editing your post. It's happened to me.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
omg I just ordered a Nexus 6p and thought I was going to be ok switching away from iOS but I'm gonna miss this app so so much. At least I still have an iPad.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

omg I just ordered a Nexus 6p and thought I was going to be ok switching away from iOS but I'm gonna miss this app so so much. At least I still have an iPad.

Awful for Android actually isn't a bad app.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Skeezy posted:

Awful for Android actually isn't a bad app.
As a former long-time Android owner who got a 6s this year, it's true. Be sure to complain in their thread about how you can't post new threads on it, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Did text scaling just get hosed up? The forum text looks to be the default iPhone size even though I have the system default to smaller.

E never mind I just saw there's a text scaling toggle in this app :downs:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

PleasureKevin posted:

personally I think all links should just open in safari proper since iOS now has the "back to Awful" feature so embedding Safari is useless IMO

Do not do this devs, I hate that opening a URL from e.g. Messages opens a new tab in Safari and I have to close it before I can properly resume my Important Txting Conversations™ and I wish that Messages also had the pop-in Safari sheet :smithcloud:

Also I would enjoy having the "Open" option back in the popup menu when you press-and-hold on a link in Awful!

Thanks,

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

anthonypants posted:

As a former long-time Android owner who got a 6s this year, it's true. Be sure to complain in their thread about how you can't post new threads on it, though.

Only if you embed it as a tweet

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Tusen Takk posted:

I've had this weird issue twice while editing a post that the app will crash and every time I try to reopen the app it goes back to the post editor then crashes. Force closing and hard resting the phone do not fix this issue, only deleting the app and reinstalling.

Next time I'll pay attention to where I was posting and any other factors you would like me to look out for.

Posting from an iPhone 6S Plus

Sorry to hear that! I have some theories about what's going on but nothing concrete. Definitely report back if you spot something.

PleasureKevin posted:

I think

It's intentional but it's also lovely. It's on the list of things to change.

PleasureKevin posted:

also the bug where you can't click on links seems to happen after you go into browser mode and swipe right rather than hit "done". in case that hasn't been figured out yet.

"Embedding Safari" is just so easy. It'd have to be actively harmful (e.g. if we never figure out why swiping out of it makes stuff completely stop working) to be worth removing imo.

Abjad Soup posted:

Also I would enjoy having the "Open" option back in the popup menu when you press-and-hold on a link in Awful!

Like the button that just opens it in Embedded Safari? It comes back if you change your "Default Browser" in Settings. I figured it was redundant to include the short-press action in the long-press menu. But if you say it makes sense, I can add it to the list.

Sereri posted:

Only if you embed it as a tweet

Woah, easy there Tex.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just gonna throw this out there as a reminder that "Last post" still only takes you to the last page.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stare-Out posted:

Just gonna throw this out there as a reminder that "Last post" still only takes you to the last page.

Hang on, submitting a pull request to change the text to "Last page"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Drastic Actions posted:

Hang on, submitting a pull request to change the text to "Last page"

Fix links not working sometimes while you're in there!

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Like the button that just opens it in Embedded Safari? It comes back if you change your "Default Browser" in Settings. I figured it was redundant to include the short-press action in the long-press menu. But if you say it makes sense, I can add it to the list.

Having that button will be nice while the 'links sometimes don't work on short-press" issue still persists. After that less so but I could still see a bit of a case for it.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

Anachronist posted:

Having that button will be nice while the 'links sometimes don't work on short-press" issue still persists. After that less so but I could still see a bit of a case for it.

Yeah this, also when someone links a bunch of short words, it was handy when the popup menu let you both preview which link you've pressed on and also let you flawlessly, every time, WITHOUT FAIL open that selfsame link in Embedded Safari.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Kid CUDA posted:

It's been happening to me too for the last couple of days! Pokeyman ?

Embedded Safari completely stopped loading pages for me yesterday too. Seems completely unrelated to any code changes in the app; it worked before on the same version. If it helps, the point in the progress bar that it gets stuck at roughly maps to the "making a DNS lookup" portion in my experience.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Storysmith posted:

Embedded Safari completely stopped loading pages for me yesterday too. Seems completely unrelated to any code changes in the app; it worked before on the same version. If it helps, the point in the progress bar that it gets stuck at roughly maps to the "making a DNS lookup" portion in my experience.

Does embedded Safari work in any other apps? I've had it break in every app and needed to restart my phone to fix it.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

Does embedded Safari work in any other apps? I've had it break in every app and needed to restart my phone to fix it.

Assuming it's the same embedded Safari, it works in Twitter. I don't actually know any other apps I have installed that include a webview like that.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Storysmith posted:

Assuming it's the same embedded Safari, it works in Twitter. I don't actually know any other apps I have installed that include a webview like that.

Not the same one

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Hi, I am posting again asking for search to added, not because I am impatient, but because I fear the request will get lost if I do not. And I will add that I sincerely appreciate the existence of this app, I use it almost every day, and I'm glad it exists.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
yo can I get some webm support thanksss

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

terre packet posted:

Sure thing pal here you go https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chrome-web-browser-by-google/id535886823

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

terre packet posted:

VLC works in the meantime

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

For those of you who attempted to add tweet embedding, how did you get the tweet to render? I'm getting the text, but the script that renders it and embeds images etc isn't running and I can't figure out how to get it to do so.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

carry on then posted:

For those of you who attempted to add tweet embedding, how did you get the tweet to render? I'm getting the text, but the script that renders it and embeds images etc isn't running and I can't figure out how to get it to do so.

In theory it wants to embed a script tag with source that, on desktop browsers, executes the necessary function when loaded. The Android webview doesn't give a poo poo about that and just loads the json file. I'm guessing the iOS one behaves the same way. I "solved" it by calling [fixed]window.twttr.widgets.load()[/fixed ] at the end.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sereri posted:

In theory it wants to embed a script tag with source that, on desktop browsers, executes the necessary function when loaded. The Android webview doesn't give a poo poo about that and just loads the json file. I'm guessing the iOS one behaves the same way. I "solved" it by calling [fixed]window.twttr.widgets.load()[/fixed ] at the end.

Amazing. I didn't know it had to be prefixed with "window.". That's an hour I'll never get back :v:

I take it you downloaded a copy of the widgets.js file like I have to do to get it to work? Or is there a trick to getting it to work with the remote embed? This may be a part where iOS and Android differ, though.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

carry on then posted:

Amazing. I didn't know it had to be prefixed with "window.". That's an hour I'll never get back :v:

I take it you downloaded a copy of the widgets.js file like I have to do to get it to work? Or is there a trick to getting it to work with the remote embed? This may be a part where iOS and Android differ, though.

Yeah, I load a local twitterwidgets.js . I'm not actually sure I need it, it was just a thing I tried before calling the method. I just left it in to save a network request. Considering what your experience is, I'm not gonna take it out :v:

• Locked thread