Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Andrast posted:

Rothfuss would probably get his book out faster if he spent less time arguing about Nintendo account systems.

I'm sure Nintendo account systems will feature heavily in Doors of Stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

have you REALLY read these books 10 times? holy poo poo.

He made it 11 just to spite me for asking "Why can't you read something new?"

ex: I read White Tiger 8 years ago, but I still remember some very vivid scenes from that book that made me think "Wow, this is brutal and there's no "good" way out" and coming away from it with a snapshot of what it can take for people who manage to escape crushing poverty and make it.

Rothfuss has no emotionally resonant scenes in his books, and people might argue that fantasy can't evoke the same emotional response as a "true to life" fictional novel, but why can't it? As far as I'm concerned, growing up in middle class America makes India's caste system and insane corruption not much more relate-able to me then a fictional world renaissance world with magic.

Even for the "dark" moments in the books there's never any sense of Kvothe undergoing any fundamental change or loss. He's still forever and always the same smug quick witted young genius who never faces major repercussions and when a character shows literally no growth in 1000+ pages beyond "is now a expert sex-haver, learned insane ninja skills, better at magic" why the gently caress should anyone care one bit about whatever troubles may hit him 1-2 books later?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 10, 2016

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
There is one legitimately good bit in TNoTW, and that is when Rothfuss jumps off the roof trying to learn the name of the wind and breaks his legs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How can you possibly say that a series that features mythically awesome screwing has no emotionally resonant scenes? I resonate down there whenever I read about it!

BananaNutkins posted:

There is one legitimately good bit in TNoTW, and that is when Rothfuss jumps off the roof trying to learn the name of the wind and breaks his legs.
Actually, yeah, that was pretty good in idea if not execution. Too bad you can't have anything even remotely like that in WMF.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 11, 2016

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

The actual playing the sad song for his Talents was also a good scene, but then ruined by ~*Denna*~ showing up soon afterword and needing so long (a chapter and a half) to describe a beautiful, dark-haired girl that I invented details about her and had so long to visualize those details that by the end I had guessed wrong but tough poo poo I'm not reading that through again.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Rothfuss is a stupid man's idea of what a smart author looks like.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Rothfuss is a videogamers idea of what a smart author looks like

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Rothfuss is a fanfiction reader of what a smart author looks like

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Rothfuss is fine and a lot of people like his good fantasy books.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cast Iron Brick posted:

BOOOOO! HISSSSSSSS! Stay out the Rothfuss thread you!

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Cast Iron Brick posted:

congratulations on having a Good Opinion

probably don't wave it around too much though this is a dangerous bit of town

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Same but NYT best seller Terry Goodkind.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Fine? Let's see here:

LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 15: “I had changed because of Tarbean.”

In Chapter 33, “Sea of Stars,” Kvothe sets out on his journey to the University on a wagon caravan.

quote:

I returned to Drover's Lot with a travelsack swinging by one shoulder. It held a change of clothes, a loaf of trail bread, some jerked meat, a skin of water, needle and thread, flint and steel, pens and ink. In short, everything an intelligent person takes on a trip in the event they might need it.

Now I haven’t mentioned it much, but Kvothe’s defining characteristic is being cheeky. It doesn’t really follow from what’s come before; as a child he was more nosy than assertive, and his Tarbean years were a period of extreme self-repression.

So where does Kvothe’s assertiveness come from? It’s a huge gap in characterization.

Because of this confused sense of interiority, I don’t find Kvothe’s particular brand of cheekiness and the journalistic style of narration to blend well together. Kvothe feels the need to reassure that the he is an intelligent person. But we’re not supposed to read this as irony, as the text asserts repeatedly that Kvothe is an intelligent hero and not an insecure idiot who needs to pat himself on the back.

quote:

That left the other passenger, Denna. We didn’t speak until the first day’s ride was nearly done. I was riding with one of the mercenaries, absently peeling the bark from a willow switch. While my fingers worked, I studied the side of her face, admiring the line of her jaw, the curve of her neck into her shoulder. I wondered why she was traveling alone, and where she was going. In the middle of my musing she turned to look in my direction and caught me staring at her.

“Penny for your thought?” she asked, brushing at an errant strand of hair.

“I was wondering what you’re doing here,” I said half-honestly.

Smiling, she held my eyes. “Liar.”

I used an old stage trick to keep myself from blushing, gave my best unconcerned shrug, and looked down at the willow wand I was peeling. After a few minutes, I heard her return to her conversation with Reta. I found myself strangely disappointed.

[...]

The wind caught her hair and she brushed it back again. “Do you happen to know where I’m going?”

I felt a smile begin a slow creep onto my face. It felt odd. I was out of practice smiling. “Don’t you know?”

“I have suspicions. Right now I’m thinking Anilin.” She rocked onto the edges of her feet, then back to the flats. “But I’ve been wrong before.”

Kvothe is being rehabilitated into society in record time, and this includes his romantic instinct!

quote:

On the edge of the water were a pair of waystones, their surfaces silver against the black of the sky, the black of the water. One stood upright, a finger pointing to the sky. The other lay flat, extending into the water like a short stone pier.

No breath of wind disturbed the surface of the water. So as we climbed out onto the fallen stone the stars reflected themselves in double fashion; as above, so below. It was as if we were sitting amid a sea of stars.

We spoke for hours, late into the night. Neither of us mentioned our pasts. I sensed that there were things she would rather not talk about, and by the way she avoided questioning me, I think she guessed the same. We spoke of ourselves instead, of fond imaginings and impossible things. I pointed to the skies and told her the names of stars and constellations. She told me stories about them I had never heard before.

My eyes were always returning to Denna. She sat beside me, arms hugging her knees. Her skin was more luminous than the moon, her eyes wider than the sky, deeper than the water, darker than the night.

I’m reminded of another book with the same problem, Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb. In both books, the protagonist has to be both hardened by life and a regular teenager. Instead of elaborating on this duality, the result is utter confusion of characterization. In Assassin’s Apprentice, the narrative is interested in court intrigue and sorcery mostly as a way to poo poo on the main character, instead of exploring what it is to be like a child pressured into being a political assassin for aristocrats. In Name of the Wind, there’s little commentary on how Kvothe’s mental training, years on the streets, and impossible quest are impacting his relationships with other people. Now there will be some in the next chapter, mainly to reassure us that they’re not impacting the story too much.

There’s been a lot of grumbling about Denna. There’s nothing wrong with her and Kvothe’s relationship here, except how it develops and how it doesn’t make that much sense here for the reasons stated above. This is as much as their relationship will ever develop, a girl just kind of wandering around and a boy’s object of fantasy. The imagery emphasises that they’re both lonely souls wandering in a vast world (coming short of calling them ships passing in the night), but this is again something that is never developed. What is developed is that she forever keep suitors men at a distance while profiting from them to make a living. So her whole character is about being an unattainable object. You may call this misogynistic, I’m more wondering why she has such a large role in the story in the first place. Is her unattainability an extension of Kvothe’s quest for the impossible?

In Chapter 34, “Yet to Learn,” a young nobleman joins the caravan and earns Kvothe’s ire.

quote:

His name was Josn, and he had paid Roent for passage to Anilin. He had an easy manner and an honest smile. He seemed an earnest man. I did not like him.

My reason was simple. He spent the entire day riding next to Denna. He flattered her outrageously and joked with her about becoming one of his wives. She seemed unaffected by the late hours we had kept the night before, looking as bright and fresh as ever.

The result was that I spent the day being irritated and jealous while acting unconcerned. Since I was too proud to join their conversation, I was left to myself. I spent the day thinking sullen thoughts, trying to ignore the sound of his voice and occasionally remembering the way Denna had looked last night with the moon reflecting off the water behind her.

You'd expected a comment on how acting like a normal teenager is a huge leap for Kvothe, but it seems such simple characterization is beyond Rothfuss's skills. Josn happens to have a lute, and this is the catalyst for Kvothe to completely shed off his years in Tarbean.

quote:

I can honestly say that I was still not really myself. I was only four days away from living on the streets. I was not the same person I had been back in the days of the troupe, but neither was I yet the person you hear about in stories. I had changed because of Tarbean. I had learned many things it would have been easier to live without.

But sitting beside the fire, bending over the lute, I felt the hard, unpleasant parts of myself that I had gained in Tarbean crack. Like a clay mold around a now-cool piece of iron they fell away, leaving something clean and hard behind.

[...]

The strings felt strange against my fingers, like reunited friends who have forgotten what they have in common. I played soft and slow, sending notes no farther than the circle of our firelight. Fingers and strings made a careful conversation, as if their dance described the lines of an infatuation.

Then I felt something inside me break and music began to pour out into the quiet. My fingers danced; intricate and quick they spun something gossamer and tremulous into the circle of light our fire had made. The music moved like a spiderweb stirred by a gentle breath, it changed like a leaf twisting as it falls to the ground, and it felt like three years Waterside in Tarbean, with a hollowness inside you and hands that ached from the bitter cold.

Again, there’s no real consideration of character. I think I’ve said all I can about this.

This also shows how Rothfuss tries to mix fantastic with prosaic. I said in the beginning that Rothfuss's method is to make his metaphors, similes, and whatnot so broad and significant that they end up occupying the reader's mind. For example, how Kvothe's music "spun something gossamer and tremulous into the circle of light our fire had made". This is mistaken for being intriguing, and as a result people end up praising the prose.

Kvothe is of course amazing, and everyone is in varying degree of shock. Josn looks like he’s been “stabbed”. This is followed by a baffling passage in third person:

quote:

I held out the lute, not knowing whether to thank him or apologize. He took it numbly. After a moment, unable to think of anything to say, I left them sitting by the fire and walked toward the wagons.

And that is how Kvothe spent his last night before he came to the University, with his cloak as both his blanket and his bed. As he lay down, behind him was a circle of fire, and before him lay shadow like a mantle, gathered. His eyes were open, that much is certain, but who among us can say they know what he was seeing?

Look behind him instead, to the circle of light that the fire has made, and leave Kvothe to himself for now. Everyone deserves a moment or two alone when they desire it. And if by chance there were tears, let us forgive him. He was just a child, after all, and had yet to learn what sorrow really was.

Rothfuss abruptly adopting third-person narration here seems to be a stab at irony, but it doesn’t really make sense for Kvothe to take this approach now. It adds nothing here.

In Chapter 35, “A Parting of Ways,” Kvothe is ready to leave the caravan. There’s some pointless banter with a caravan worker which again makes me wonder why the story has so much pointless detail in the first place. Cealdish people like to approach business as family. It’s “world-building,” I suppose. Denna is nowhere to be found, which is actually something used to characterise her as unattainable, but she surprises Kvothe when he’s about to leave. Rothfuss finds it finally relevant again that Kvothe is a gypsy.

quote:

“You’re still going?” She asked.

I nodded.

“You could come to Anilin with us,” she suggested. “They say the streets are paved with gold there. You could teach Josn to play that lute he carries around.” She smiled. “I’ve asked him, and he’s said he wouldn’t mind.”

I considered it. For half a heartbeat I almost threw my whole plan aside just to stay with her a little longer. But the moment passed and I shook my head.

[...]

Denna must have seen my thoughts reflected on my face. She smiled playfully. “I guess I’ll just have to come looking for you, then.”

We Ruh are travelers. Our lives are composed of meetings and partings, with brief, bright acquaintances in-between. Because of this I knew the truth. I felt it, heavy and certain in the pit of my stomach: I would never see her again.

Before I could say anything she looked nervously behind her. “I had better go. Watch for me.” She flashed her impish smile again before turning to walk away.

“I will,” I called after her. “I’ll see you where the roads meet.”

She glanced back and hesitated for a moment, then waved and ran off into the early evening twilight.

ROTHFUSSIAN ATTRIBUTES

quote:

I moved a finger and the chord went minor in a way that always sounded to me as if the lute were saying sad.

Conclusion: Rothfuss is still not a good writer, and thus not fine.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 21, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I feel like a substantial part of your problem is that you aren't reading this as Kvothe telling a story. There's been a significant number of nitpicks (for example, the arbitrary third person) that I absolutely would attribute to someone using to add a bit of garnish to a story they were telling. Same with "suddenly shedding everything from the last four years" - he's not just suddenly discarding that part of his personality, it's Kvothe the narrator talking about how the ability to finally play music again reawakened part of the self that he hadn't been in touch with during Tarbean.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

I feel like a substantial part of your problem is that you aren't reading this as Kvothe telling a story.

I actually am - which is the problem. The prose doesn't take real advantage of it being (nominally) oral storytelling. Why add the "garnish" there of all places? Kvothe isn't a real person, Rothfuss has the complete freedom to arrange the story, but stuff like that is completely arbitrary. And why use this "perfect recall" gimmick in the first place when it means that pointless banter with a caravan worker gets as many words as the hero's goodbye with his first love?

Kvothe is a trained storyteller, but he's pretty bad at it. It doesn't make sense on a meta-level.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 15, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Contrast? The pointless banter means nothing, and we take nothing away from it. Denna's goodbye means a significant amount, and it's siginificant that we get that much out of that small of an interaction.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

Contrast? The pointless banter means nothing, and we take nothing away from it. Denna's goodbye means a significant amount, and it's siginificant that we get that much out of that small of an interaction.

Contrast would imply opposing elements, not a complete sequence like the banter and the goodbye. There is no opposition.

e: Like you're saying that there's contrast because one thing is "significant" and the other is "not significant". That just means that there is no substantial contrast. It's actually set-up, but just not good.

e2: Presumably the mention of the caravan being run by a husband and a wife is supposed to implicitly refer to Kvothe's troupe. Why is there no mention of how the caravan reminds Kvothe of his childhood? You'd think that was important, and it could explain why Kvothe fits in so easily. But the narration misses this. Is it really supposed to be that subtle?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 16, 2016

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

I moved a finger and the chord went minor in a way that always sounded to me as if the lute were saying sad.

Hey, this...what is this? a simile? This simile was really evocative to me because Kvothe showed he was able to express his emotions with music which he wasn't able to do with words. Even if it was with someone elses lovely loot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd say metaphor. But being a musician it hurts my eyes reading it. Describing a minor chord as an instrument saying "sad" is like hearing a child describe a mountain as really really really really really super duper big.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, at least it didn't say something like "ding".

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say metaphor. But being a musician it hurts my eyes reading it. Describing a minor chord as an instrument saying "sad" is like hearing a child describe a mountain as really really really really really super duper big.

Yeah the first time I read it seriously kicked me out of the story. Like really Rothfuss?

Actually I think I remember all of these quotes Lamps is rothfuss-attributing, and I'm not one to remember quotes usually.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just off the top of my head minor chords sound like:

lonely winter days
unrequited love
a still/moonless/cold night
passing of time
featureless landscapes
an empty stomach
goodbyes

In a book full of strained metaphor that one always stuck in my craw. Like he reaches out to describe swords as river stones or speech as landslides, but something as universal as sad sounding music is described as sad.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Don't they also give a sense of uneasiness or longing? It's been a while since I've studied music, but minor chords "sound sad" and major chords "sound upbeat and happy" is something we learn in elementary school.

What really gets me is he explains his metaphor in the same sentence in such a banal and obvious way that it counteracts the metaphor itself. Just Ugh.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2YJcxgj-WU

Flattened Spoon fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 16, 2016

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

It's like something a lovably clueless Will Ferrell would say when he's at his lowest point in the movie, sitting on the couch in his underwear drunkenly playing the eukele for his dog.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 16, 2016

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BananaNutkins posted:

It's like something a lovably clueless Will Ferrell would say when he's at his lowest point in the movie, sitting on the couch in his underwear drunkenly playing the eukele for his dog.

Well I have new mental image for Kvothe.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I honestly wonder if GRRM finishes his series before Pat or not.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Benson Cunningham posted:

I honestly wonder if GRRM finishes his series before Pat or not.

The current trilogy? Yeah, if Pat ever actually publishes it, it'll likely be before GRRM finishes. The larger story that he (Pat) has been setting up, and will likely take at least another trilogy to wrap up? No loving way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why did he make the hero a ginger.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

why did he make the hero a ginger.

Because it makes him more of an outcast than he already is ie. poor, gypsie, an arrogant PITA, etc.

edit: actually, has he even been affected by his gingerness?

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

Flattened Spoon posted:

Because it makes him more of an outcast than he already is ie. poor, gypsie, an arrogant PITA, etc.

Is it these books where gingers are raped to cure diseases?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

His hair is actually more of a neon emo dye job. Ferrari red.

Edit^^^^ nah man, that's my boy Scott Lynch. His books are way better (even with the rape).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Flattened Spoon posted:

It gets mentioned as very unique/distinctive from time to time, but that seems to be both good and bad for him in equal measure.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ornamented Death posted:

The current trilogy? Yeah, if Pat ever actually publishes it, it'll likely be before GRRM finishes. The larger story that he (Pat) has been setting up, and will likely take at least another trilogy to wrap up? No loving way.

IIRC the larger story includes at least a trilogy for Bast and someone else (or a 2nd Kvothe trilogy after Bast maybe). GRRM will be done, or dead, with ASOIAF long before Rothfuss finishes the greater story arc of Kingkiller. Hell I'd be surprised if Rothfuss finishes those books before Sanderson finishes the Stormlight Archives books, which gives Rothfuss until the early 2030s or so.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Even that's very hopeful thinking. You are assuming that Rothfuss wants to write, but it doesn't look like it anymore. Why wouldn't Rothfuss just quit after finishing his contract. He and his family are set for life already, he can keep doing worldbuilderswhich is what he enjoys, and it doesn't really look like Rothfuss gives a poo poo about kingkillers resolution at this point. He's going full George Lucas

mallamp fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 17, 2016

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

pentyne posted:

Rothfuss is a fanfiction reader of what a fantasy author looks like

ftfy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mallamp posted:

Even that's very hopeful thinking. You are assuming that Rothfuss wants to write, but it doesn't look like it anymore. Why wouldn't Rothfuss just quit after finishing his contract. He and his family are set for life already, he can keep doing worldbuilderswhich is what he enjoys, and it doesn't really look like Rothfuss gives a poo poo about kingkillers resolution at this point. He's going full George Lucas

Considering his dumb novels have been picked up for TV/Movie rights I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. GRRM probably makes more off HBO's show than his books at this point and it's likely a lot less work to give a team of writers the frame of your story while having some oversight(maybe) to ensure it doesn't stray too much.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I know it's never going to be GoT level, but do you think there's a chance that a proper TV writing and editing staff can make the source material something more palatable to people? Like, obviously people who don't like the story at its core still won't be swayed, but what about people that turn their noses up basically on writing quality alone?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I know it's never going to be GoT level, but do you think there's a chance that a proper TV writing and editing staff can make the source material something more palatable to people? Like, obviously people who don't like the story at its core still won't be swayed, but what about people that turn their noses up basically on writing quality alone?

Name of the Wind posted:

New York Times Bestseller

I think it's already palatable to people. I continue to hold the opinion that a majority of problems with the book are higher-ended literary ones, and to the public at large they're still an enjoyable read. Plus unless you use the narrator's voice extensively throughout, we're not going to get any "sharp stone in swift water" metaphors.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
I'm looking forward to a Legend-of-the-Seeker kind of redux myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I think it will be worse, the cliche plot elements will be more apparent without all the fat that surrounds them. Only chance it could be good was if it got GoT level budget indeed and awesome sets would distract people instead of prose/filler.

• Locked thread