Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Solumin posted:

I've played a half dozen or more games of Factorio, and in only one of them have I even started the Rocket Silo research.

So uh... congrats! You've made it far really quickly!

Ive been sick so last couple of days all i've been doing is factorio heh. Also i like going for the ending, having an ending is actually something decent to work towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Solumin posted:

I've played a half dozen or more games of Factorio, and in only one of them have I even started the Rocket Silo research.

So uh... congrats! You've made it far really quickly!

I've never even automated blue science. I get as far as green, then a mod idea strikes me, and I make that instead. I've probably spent five times as long modding the game as playing it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I feel like ditching this game for a new save file. Only because I TRIED automating blue science and it's always slow as poo poo for me.

What's some good worldgen settings again? All normal/average stuff?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Hooray for tanks, researched one up and after spending hours and hours running around worrying about my defenses, finally was able to go out and massacre every alien nest in a huge radius around my base... should finally have some time to actually work on my infrastructure. So satisfying to not have non-stop alarms going off for once.

I gotta say though, I rather like having the alien threat on, it gives the game some tension and makes the stuff you build feel more meaningful, you appreciate it a lot more when you see what happens when something comes in and turns it to rubble, I guess :v:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Dootman posted:

This is a fairly appropriate post/avatar combo.

Haha, drat, i never even considered that. To me the thing just feels like trying to build a computer with cats about the house.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

widespread posted:

I feel like ditching this game for a new save file. Only because I TRIED automating blue science and it's always slow as poo poo for me.

What's some good worldgen settings again? All normal/average stuff?

I crank the biters up a bit more, but that is personal preference.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Oh here's an idea. Would it be possible to make a train horn mod that fires when the train is 5 seconds away from the player at current speed, and the player is standing near a rail? That would make them a lot less dangerous, especially at high speed sections.

GotLag posted:

It might be possible but it would take a lot of scripting and polling every moving train at frequent intervals. The little mod I just wrote simply adds an extra sound event to the train's stop trigger.

You can make a ghetto visual warning by putting gates on track segments in areas where you often cross.

Would it in any way be possible to have the player be a train? ("Dude, like, be the train!")

As soon as you step on the track tile, the signals to that segment go red, just as if a train was in it. Would cause some trains to do an emergency stop and possibly severely interrupt traffic, but at least make things a lot safer.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Willfrey posted:

I crank the biters up a bit more, but that is personal preference.

And I'm gonna crank them down, because it was loving daunting trying to make my factory when I had about 100-200 nests all around the starter area.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Its nice to see how much this thread has exploded in activity since the game arrived to Steam. Are other Factorio communities equally increased? Have the Devs said anything about sales numbers now compared to pre-steam?

Mithaldu posted:

Two hours work on a max biter world with high terrain fragmentation, and the result is a beautiful kind of working chaos: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10190786/chaos.png

This sounds like an interesting challenge scenario

Put biters on passive and max out all their parameters, and see how big a base you can realistically build.
Part of the challenge is also that sooner or later you need to attack them.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

widespread posted:

And I'm gonna crank them down, because it was loving daunting trying to make my factory when I had about 100-200 nests all around the starter area.

make a small, efficient walled in factory. Create open lanes in the walls and line them with turrets to funnel them in. Automate a belt to feed ammo into gun turrets. Make a smallish automated blue research line and race to get laser turrets and all their upgrades (maybe grabbing research rate bonus too). You're pretty well set after that.

Illithid
Aug 23, 2007
For a cheaty way to expand in those scenarios: mines currently do not trigger hostility from the critters.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Default biters seem really accommodating as long as you don't end up in a treeless wasteland. It probably helped that I learned through blue science in a passive game, but I don't think I especially rushed laser turrets but had them set up around the time mediums started showing up, and especially never needed to worry about ammo belts to turrets, just shoved a stack of whatever was current into every new one and they never seemed to go dry.

You can go on the offensive a lot earlier than you might first expect. Like if there's a nest early on giving you grief, just the SMG is good enough at the beginning. Then the buggy outranges small worms and with a few gun upgrades and AP ammo, tears through nests quick enough that it's not impossible to clean house depending how much pollution you are billowing. The biggest barrier to early game nest clearing are medium worms which mean you just need to leave a few nest clusters alone until you get a tank and poison capsules. But if there's only a few even that's doable with a buggy by using a sacrificial gun turret to tank damage.

Even if at default they aren't the biggest deal, it just feels like they're keeping me honest since defense goods become such an important cornerstone of your factory.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Put biters on passive and max out all their parameters, and see how big a base you can realistically build.
Unless you really want alien tech, there's no need to. As of now i still don't know what exactly that gives, since i haven't played that long, but i'll have to see how far i can push hostilities off.

With high landscape fragmentation, i found that one of the bigger challenges is actually routing resources from place to place, since worms and biter buildings are quite deceptive as to how much space they take and even with underground belts you cannot cross over biter buildings.

Of course, in addition to that comes that biters REALLY want to get from A to B when they want to, and will eat anything that sufficiently blocks them. So the usual dense factory styles are out and everything is in constant flux while you try to find arrangements that will make the things you want made, while keeping the biters happy.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
You know what would be great? Fully underground pipes, complete with underground attachment to buildings. It wouldn't make the fluid mechanics any less opaque, but at least it'd be out of the way.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ineptitude posted:

Its nice to see how much this thread has exploded in activity since the game arrived to Steam. Are other Factorio communities equally increased? Have the Devs said anything about sales numbers now compared to pre-steam?

They said in a recent blog post that they sold more copies in the first week on Steam than they had in the last year from their site. Or something to that effect.
Edit: the article itself.

You need purple alien science in order to actually beat the game, by the way.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Solumin posted:

They said in a recent blog post that they sold more copies in the first week on Steam than they had in the last year from their site. Or something to that effect.
Edit: the article itself.
The nice part is, even 2 weeks later, Factorio is still the best-rated game on steam. http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Reviews_DESC&sort_order=DESC&category1=998&tags=-1&page=1

Solumin posted:

You need purple alien science in order to actually beat the game, by the way.
:ohdear:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Toast Museum posted:

You know what would be great? Fully underground pipes, complete with underground attachment to buildings. It wouldn't make the fluid mechanics any less opaque, but at least it'd be out of the way.

Oh god, yes. Simcity 2000-esque piping would own.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

They're approaching 200k activations on steam. How many of those were folks who had it before is hard to say.

http://steamspy.com/app/427520

If stardew valley hadn't come out of nowhere and launched against them as a complete game for $5 cheaper, it would likely be a lot more.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Do turrets make biters agro to the player in peaceful or just to the turret? I'm not sure how you make that survivable if they attack you outside of laser turrets everywhere on a disconnected power network and then turning it all on at once.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Do turrets make biters agro to the player in peaceful or just to the turret? I'm not sure how you make that survivable if they attack you outside of laser turrets everywhere on a disconnected power network and then turning it all on at once.
They're luckily forgetful little critters and not too smart either. I set up a turret at maximum view distance from me and put a belt inbetween, then put a magazine on the belt to have it fed into the turret. The turret activated when it got the mag, shot a bit, died basically instantly, and since i wasn't nearby, none of the biters went for me. They only tried to eat me when i put the mag in the turret while being nearby.

Not the kindest of ways to handle this, but better than world war biter.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

watched a guy doing a speedrun of this yesterday, (on peaceful), what he did when needing alien artifacts was drag a power line over then quickly drop 9 laser turrets around it, basically nuked the nests no problem

2 hours 15 minutes, btw (with a LOT of pre-planning, on a fixed world seed so he could know his whole base layout ahead of time)

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Is there a way to transfer items from your inventory / in-hand directly to a belt, or do you have to put stuff in a chest and have an inserter offload it?

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Is there a way to transfer items from your inventory / in-hand directly to a belt, or do you have to put stuff in a chest and have an inserter offload it?

You used to be able when the items were a separate entity.
From the newest version(Steam release) this is no longer possible, as the items 'do not exists anymore' when are on a belt - this was done to quite increase the performance

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Okay just making sure I wasn't missing out on some key combination that wasn't very well described in the settings - finding out I could copy paste assembler recipes, mass load furnaces / boilers by hand, and control click my entire inventory / toolbelt into a chest have all been amazing epiphanies for me, was hoping this would be another one.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Press z to drop a selected item.

Edit: works just fine in the Steam version.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The tank is a lifesaver. I've unlocked modular armour and all I have for a power source are the solar panels, which are next to useless. I have tonnes of batteries to keep fully charged, but I can't use my personal roboport cause it drains more power than I can make.

My metal production is stalling because I can't get a heavy enough flow of iron ore to feed the smelters, so I think what I need to do is redesign my iron smelting area and change the setup to two conveyors: one purely for iron (double loaded so it's maximally fed) and one for coal. Bit frustrating, because that means I have to dismantle the steel production facility to the left of the smelters to make room for the extra conveyors, argh.

Once I have higher metal plate production, my belts should always be full of the stuff which'll allow me to constantly be churning out blue science, instead of the current situation where there's a trickle of metal after it reaches the blue science section.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e11S7sHEx5c

No movement keys were pressed during the making of this video.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Loopoo posted:

The tank is a lifesaver. I've unlocked modular armour and all I have for a power source are the solar panels, which are next to useless. I have tonnes of batteries to keep fully charged, but I can't use my personal roboport cause it drains more power than I can make.

My metal production is stalling because I can't get a heavy enough flow of iron ore to feed the smelters, so I think what I need to do is redesign my iron smelting area and change the setup to two conveyors: one purely for iron (double loaded so it's maximally fed) and one for coal. Bit frustrating, because that means I have to dismantle the steel production facility to the left of the smelters to make room for the extra conveyors, argh.

Once I have higher metal plate production, my belts should always be full of the stuff which'll allow me to constantly be churning out blue science, instead of the current situation where there's a trickle of metal after it reaches the blue science section.

You have modular armor and you haven't switched to electric furnaces yet? :catstare:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm about to build a rocket silo and my electric furnace count just graduated to needing to be counted on two hands.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Jesus, I switch pretty much the instant I get the tech and have the plastic production necessary to make red circuits. They're more annoying to make but you save massively in terms of annoyance from not having to run coal lines to your furnaces and being able to put modules in them, both of which make it much easier to upgrade your production.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

GotLag posted:

You might wanna throw that on github so others can help you more easily. :)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

President Ark posted:

Jesus, I switch pretty much the instant I get the tech and have the plastic production necessary to make red circuits. They're more annoying to make but you save massively in terms of annoyance from not having to run coal lines to your furnaces and being able to put modules in them, both of which make it much easier to upgrade your production.

I dunno, I've never seen the appeal of electric furnaces. I've got plenty of coal, and I've got an automated train line to deliver coal to my furnaces. I've got the big chunky black ones which work well enough for me. I'd be annoyed at having to 1) spend all that time on automating loads of red circuits (that'll hamper my blue science productions) and 2) beefing up my electricity production to supply the furnaces with power.

Coal is much simpler. Maybe when I start branching out with far reaching outposts, I'll stick some electric furnaces there to help supply them with metal to produce their own ammo.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Loopoo posted:

I dunno, I've never seen the appeal of electric furnaces. I've got plenty of coal, and I've got an automated train line to deliver coal to my furnaces. I've got the big chunky black ones which work well enough for me. I'd be annoyed at having to 1) spend all that time on automating loads of red circuits (that'll hamper my blue science productions) and 2) beefing up my electricity production to supply the furnaces with power.

Coal is much simpler. Maybe when I start branching out with far reaching outposts, I'll stick some electric furnaces there to help supply them with metal to produce their own ammo.

You're going to need to hugely beef up red circuits anyway, you need shitloads of them for power armor (and components), the higher-end modules, and the rocket. Replacing all the furnaces in your base is a one-time investment anyway and I'd gladly spend ~100 reds once to make my factory much easier to manage and upgrade forever.

e: for reference you need about 600 reds to make the highest-grade power armor, and that's just what you're spending to make the blue circuits - it's completely ignoring everything that goes into the 10 tier 3 modules it needs

e2: each tier 3 module takes 345 reds, so you're looking at about 4000 red circuits to make the best power armor. upgrading your furnaces doesn't seem that expensive now, does it?

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 17, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't doubt I am leaving production on the table. But also I seemingly set up plate production futureproofed for the speed at which I build things up until rocket stuff. I don't tinker a lot with old proven lines and just build something new off to the side because I have the room. Hence finally needing some new furnaces and they finally get to be electric.

There was only one ingredient I needed to not build this silo straight off, and it may surprise or make perfect sense that it is raw steel.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

I'll have to give Drone that mod link, he get killed by trains in our MP game constantly (admittedly the bobs trains are pretty quick but hey, look before you cross). Mind you, he's usually running when they hit him so it still wouldn't save us listening to him rant about the trains again.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

also electricity generation with electric furnaces is a much smaller problem than you think because 1) if you're overproducing metal and the line is completely backed up they stop using power, 2) you can put green modules in them to reduce power consumption (and pollution!), and 3) you can reroute the coal it was using into another steam power block.

i think taking (3) into account it just outright is more efficient; you get more work out of 1 coal in a boiler powering steam plants than you would from 1 coal in a furnace.

e: apparently i'm wrong on that last part

President Ark fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 17, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ratzap posted:

I'll have to give Drone that mod link, he get killed by trains in our MP game constantly (admittedly the bobs trains are pretty quick but hey, look before you cross). Mind you, he's usually running when they hit him so it still wouldn't save us listening to him rant about the trains again.

I've only tested in singleplayer but I hope it works in multi.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

it's pretty much useless unless it works while you're moving, because who stands still on active train tracks

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Electric furnaces aren't a great deal if you don't plan on using modules and you're still using coal power. A stone or steel furnace uses the all the kW of the coal, but putting that coal into a boiler and turning it into electricity only yields half the kW. So to just go from steel furnaces to electric furnaces without going beyond that means you're using twice as much coal to smelt your materials.

It's a nice interesting case where the upgrade to electric furnaces from steel aren't as automatically good as the upgrade from stone to steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What I typically do is branch off from my main factory. I've got all the basics automated, so that gives me the freedom to go off and start new facilities.

I guess my new facility, I'll make it completely self-sufficient. It's own direct source of iron and copper ore, and I'll make it use electric furnaces only. I'll also skip the whole science pack automation for it, and instead get them to churn out high-tier goods. It's much, much easier starting from scratch than it is redesigning already-implemented sections of the factory. Changing what's already laid down is a huge pain in the rear end.

Your argument about needing metric fucktonnes of red circuits has made me realise I need to do this, cause right now I'm producing a dribble of them that I know won't be enough to keep me going. I'll probably set the new outpost up near an oil field as well.