Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think there definitely is the potential for the races to feel a bit flat and uninteresting as a result of full randomization - particularly when discussing things with other players, you tend to focus on things that are meaningful to both people. So things like ethos and ideology that impact how a race acts get mentioned, while the actual species gets brushed off as meaningless fluff.

One way of countering that effect a bit is to weight the species in various directions - that way, when you're talking about collectivist ant people, everyone else in the discussion probably has experience with collectivist ant people, so the fact that they're ants remains relevant instead of being dismissed as just fluff. And even when they break the mold and you get an empire of individualist ant people, that's still notable just because it's a relatively rare occurrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Those Stellaris videos were amazing but also infuriating because I really wanted to play the game myself and they weren't as methodical as I would be playing the game for the first time (probably because they were on a strict time limit so weren't able to pause and take everything in at their own speed).

A month and a half to wait isn't horrible though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
It would definitely be cool if a DLC game each phenotype (mammal, reptile, fungoid) some unique techs and events and stuff

Captain Mediocre posted:

That galaxy map also looks a bit flaccid with all the little coloured circles around civs. I don't want to nitpick though, game looks rad.

Yeah, the zoomed out map is the only thing I'm not a fan of.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My take on the soulless nature of Stellaris factions: I think it's best to compare this to EU4 rather than other space 4Xs. There's very little that's inherently unique about any given country in EU4. The thing that makes France so obnoxious is not the fact that there's a carefully designed 3D rendering of Napoleon that yells at you in French about how he's declaring war on you because you dissed his croissants. In fact the only "unique" things about France are their unique national ideas, their unique starting position, and some unique events that turn up from time to time. That's all. Besides those things, you could swap out France with a custom nation and not notice any difference, because at its core France is just a bunch of provinces in a certain arrangement that combine with the game's AI to make them behave in a particular way. I have faith in the Paradox team that they can make the AI factions in Stellaris end up feeling as unique as EU4's France or Austria or Poland or Russia or England--i.e. not actually that unique, in that each one is just a bunch of provinces with a different colour on top--but that your interactions with them will be varied enough because of the different positions you'll end up in as the game progresses that it won't be a big deal.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

vyelkin posted:

My take on the soulless nature of Stellaris factions: I think it's best to compare this to EU4 rather than other space 4Xs. There's very little that's inherently unique about any given country in EU4. The thing that makes France so obnoxious is not the fact that there's a carefully designed 3D rendering of Napoleon that yells at you in French about how he's declaring war on you because you dissed his croissants. In fact the only "unique" things about France are their unique national ideas, their unique starting position, and some unique events that turn up from time to time. That's all. Besides those things, you could swap out France with a custom nation and not notice any difference, because at its core France is just a bunch of provinces in a certain arrangement that combine with the game's AI to make them behave in a particular way. I have faith in the Paradox team that they can make the AI factions in Stellaris end up feeling as unique as EU4's France or Austria or Poland or Russia or England--i.e. not actually that unique, in that each one is just a bunch of provinces with a different colour on top--but that your interactions with them will be varied enough because of the different positions you'll end up in as the game progresses that it won't be a big deal.

But going back to my post at the top of this page, a big part of what makes that feel interesting is that it's the same way every game - you always have to deal with France's big blue blob, England always gets an annoyingly good navy, and so on. If that was all randomised, and different every time, then having something be "France" or "England" or "Ulm" is meaningless randomization instead of being a coherent identity.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jabor posted:

But going back to my post at the top of this page, a big part of what makes that feel interesting is that it's the same way every game - you always have to deal with France's big blue blob, England always gets an annoyingly good navy, and so on. If that was all randomised, and different every time, then having something be "France" or "England" or "Ulm" is meaningless randomization instead of being a coherent identity.

I get the feeling, though, that a game of Stellaris will end up lasting longer than a game of EU4. So yeah, when you meet the United Planets of Ixkulub it'll be a brand new thing, but they could end up being your rival for long enough, even just in the course of one playthrough, that you think of them the same way as you would think of France in a game of EU4.

I think it also helps that you can fill the galaxy with a ton of factions. So presumably while you're conquering and allying with your neighbors, across the galaxy AIs are doing the same thing and by the time you run into them the Ixkulubi could be every bit as powerful as France would be to an expanding Russia in a game of EU4.

I definitely like this system better than the GalCiv model of only having ten civilizations and that's it. It makes the galaxy feel really empty and stale when it's the same empires every time, and if you dislike how the devs hand-crafted one of them, well, too bad because those are the only options.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I think, more than most Paradox games, Stellaris will be one that lives and dies by its mods. We are all huge nerds here, and once things settle I expect that a larger number of players than normal will be spending time in their universe of choice (be it Star Trek, Star Wars, Warhammer 40k, or what have you) and a fair amount of the discussion about the game will revolve around our stories from those settings -- and in all of them we'll be seeing the expected races time and time again.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I agree with all your points but come to the opposite conclusion. The only thing that gives all the same-mechanic nations in EU4 any flavour is that in our brains we fill in a lot of the gaps because we know what France is, we know what England is. No one looks at england on a EU4 map and has the idea of who they're dealing with informed by their ideas or national traits, but by actual history and previous in-game interactions. In games like moo with pre-set races you can at least read their fluff biographies, and you get to know them. Seeing them over and over in games just reinforces who they are, and your interactions with them in previous games start to fill in the blanks. If it wasn't for the historical setting, if all we had to go on were traits and a random name, eu4 would be extremely boring and flat. SPORE once you got out into the galaxy had randomized races and species, but how they looked didn't matter, all that mattered were a few basic stats and no matter how fantastically randomized the empires and species you discovered, they all boiled down to a few boring stats.

If EU4 had full random maps and random countries would the game have any flavour? Every game you'd have to re-learn who's who and probably only care about who's around you, you'd sort of notice other countries ideas but for the most part you'd just know that Blob A is allies with Blob C so you better ally with blob D to make your blob the biggest blob. There would be no country-specific events, only random ones. Everything would seem the same, randomized but the same.

Random races in Stellaris could work, even out of the box, but the game will need to really make it clear who is who at a glance, and your interactions with each race should be memorable enough to build a new narrative in your head each game. There will need to be a lot of fluff text, a lot of minor flavour events that heavily reinforce your and other empire's ethos and personalities. You should be able to mouse over opposing territory and very quickly know who is who, not go "ok the red zig zag skull flag people, who are they. I guess I better open up this diplomacy tab, find their flag... ok they're the Skrillbutt Collective, sounds scary. Ok wait despite having an aggressive looking flag and a collective name and they look like lovecraftian horrors, they're pacifist spiritualists. Ok that's confusing because last time I saw this flag it was a hyper aggressive race, and last time I saw a race like this they were materialist xenophobes". and then have to go through that process 30 more times just to remember who's around you. Now if your neighbours are quite often interacting with you, in interesting, meaningful, and memorable ways that reinforces their personalities then it could all work out.

What would help even more is of course more race-type specific DLC. Unique gameplay mechanics for hive-mind races, "hoard" style nomads with their own unique economy, an ancient empire DLC that fleshes out fallen empires, a democracy DLC that adds more in-depth mechanics for certain government types, entirely new race types like gas-giant dwellers, void dwellers that eat asteroids, sentient planets and so on. In EU4 you have quite a few different mechanics for different cultures, religions, regions, but most game via DLC.

Another thing that I think would help add character to Stellaris is to be a little more flexible on the whole "everything's random!" obsession. Why not have some very fleshed out pre-set races with their own distinct flags, race graphics, city graphics, ship graphics, stats, and even some unique mechanics? Get the community on it and they'll produce tons of hand-crafted races you can download from the workshop. Mix those in with random races and you'll have a pretty interesting setting that doesn't get stale. I'd love to go full-sperg designing my own special snowflake humans with their own custom ship graphics and city/development backgrounds, I'm sure many people will do the same if it's easy enough to make a race-pack. I hope we can download other people's creation's whole and have those races show up whole to appreciate something that's very tightly themed. I also hope we'll be able to download people's generic random elements and see them in the mix. Maybe someone made cool new fungal city graphics, you download it and the start seeing those cool new fungal cities for fungal races.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

vyelkin posted:

Having that familiarity with factions that you know play out again and again in different ways is pretty fun though, otherwise EU4 wouldn't have the amount of replayability that it does. Seeing things diverge from the norm is fun, but if nothing is set in stone, then you don't have any frame of reference. Like in EU you could say "What is Japan doing owning Lisbon!" and post a screencap and other people would get why it's interesting immediately. Won't have the same impact if you post a screenshot of the Zoop Collective taking a core planet from the Rando Union.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Another thing that I think would help add character to Stellaris is to be a little more flexible on the whole "everything's random!" obsession. Why not have some very fleshed out pre-set races with their own distinct flags, race graphics, city graphics, ship graphics, stats, and even some unique mechanics? Get the community on it and they'll produce tons of hand-crafted races you can download from the workshop. Mix those in with random races and you'll have a pretty interesting setting that doesn't get stale. I'd love to go full-sperg designing my own special snowflake humans with their own custom ship graphics and city/development backgrounds, I'm sure many people will do the same if it's easy enough to make a race-pack. I hope we can download other people's creation's whole and have those races show up whole to appreciate something that's very tightly themed. I also hope we'll be able to download people's generic random elements and see them in the mix. Maybe someone made cool new fungal city graphics, you download it and the start seeing those cool new fungal cities for fungal races.

Given that there are predesigned humans with a sol system, and the mechanics for premade races is already there, I'm 99.9% sure it's going to be more than possible to have exactly what you're asking for. I'm sure there will be tons of premade race packs that we'll be able to mix and match, so that in your game you'll be able to have your neighbors be premade Meklar, Psilons, Klingons, Prussians, Ewoks, and a mix of randomized Paradox species.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't disagree with you guys at all, I think you make some very valid points. The problem is that I don't think it's possible to establish the same frame of reference in a space 4X as it is for EU4, because France and England etc. are real countries and the game is ostensibly representing a moment in real history from which you diverge, which gives you a pre-established narrative to work within. You can't have that in a space game because by its very nature a space game is speculative and none of what's happening has a pre-established narrative to fit into. We've never encountered actual aliens, so of course you can't have an alien version of France. We've never colonized another planet, so of course you can't have a pre-established start that fits into an established narrative. That means that even for hand-crafted asymmetrical scenarios and hand-crafted alien races you're still starting at a disadvantage because there is inherently no base point of reference for those the way there is for France or England. I agree totally that interacting with real world states like France and England is one of the big fun parts of EU4, and seeing how the AI diverges from actual history is tons of fun. But that's inherently impossible in a space game, no matter what that space game is. You have to approach it from a different perspective.

And that different perspective means either you do hand-crafted races like Space Empires or MoO or GalCiv, or you do randomized procedurally-generated ones. In my experience, the hand-crafted ones tend to fall flat. You face the same empires game after game but because everything else about the game changes, you don't really get the same frame of reference and sense of continuity as you do in EU4. France in EU4 always has the same starting position, which means it usually follows a similar path in each game. You don't get that in a space 4X because the galaxy changes every time. Maybe one game the Drengin are put next to a bunch of weak empires and valuable planets, and they rise into a big empire that challenges you militarily. But then the next game they get shafted off into a tiny corner where they colonize a few rocks and never make it past ten colonies. Yeah, technically it's the same empire and you get some continuity there, but the inherent randomness of the space 4X model means it's lacking. And the flipside of these hand-crafted empire games is often that there's a limited number of them so the galaxy is similar every time and you typically end up with a lot of empty boring space wherever there isn't a major empire. You may get a different subset of races each time, but play the game five times and you'll see the same ten races over and over again, and typically any kind of minor faction system is like a tacked-on extra that doesn't actually model dynamic rises and falls of empires since there's a dividing line between major and minor empires that doesn't get crossed--which, again, diverges from EU4 because there, yeah, you see the same ten great powers at the start of every game, but they're interacting with dozens of smaller countries as well and from there they diverge hugely. In one game India might unify under some tiny OPM, in another China breaks up into ten smaller states, in another Russia never forms, and so on. You get variety, but that variety only happens because it exists within a system that allows for dynamism. And to achieve that kind of dynamism in a space game you need a system that can support a lot of factions large and small, and for that you need more than just a few hand-crafted races.

I suppose it would be possible to have some hand-crafted ones and then fill out the galaxy with procedurally generated races, but then you run into the exact same problems as before w/r/t lack of continuity from game to game due to the inherent random galaxy factor, combined with the devs having less time to devote to making the procedurally generated galaxy work well since they also had to spend the time making and implementing the few races that get specifics to stay the same from game to game (and possibly trying to balance it so those races get some advantages, since you don't want your hand-crafted races to end up being some tiny OPM that never interacts with the player).

Anyway the point I'm making is that I think both strategies can work, but I'm glad Paradox are bucking the trend because there are a lot of flaws with the standard hand-crafted approach and I think with Stellaris we'll be able to see how well the other model can work.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 17, 2016

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jabor posted:

Have you played with total random nations much? Even with France and England gone, inevitably something like France and England shows up and takes on the same roles, even if it doesn't have the FRA or ENG tag. The Big Continental Power emerges, the Aloof Island Nation fucks around; even without historical nations present, historical roles are still filled by someone.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
It's very much like niches in an eco system

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I think even just having it be our real world map adds a lot of beneficial context, something I wonder about in Stellaris because how will the map have character when there's nothing like a sea to represent a major geographic barrier. Hopefully the galaxies have some geography to them, like perhaps a very strong empire makes one of the spiral arms into a fortress and you have to use some kind of choke point to get in, but if it's just a big network of stars that all have a number of connections to each other, I think it'd be about as exciting as playing a version of EU4 with no oceans.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ofaloaf posted:

Have you played with total random nations much? Even with France and England gone, inevitably something like France and England shows up and takes on the same roles, even if it doesn't have the FRA or ENG tag. The Big Continental Power emerges, the Aloof Island Nation fucks around; even without historical nations present, historical roles are still filled by someone.

And that's exactly my point - when you're playing with full randomization like that, you end up ignoring the randomization that has no mechanical impact, and only think about the parts that affect how the game plays. That's what I mean when I say that things like species is at risk of being sidelined as "meaningless fluff".

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Chief Savage Man posted:

I think even just having it be our real world map adds a lot of beneficial context, something I wonder about in Stellaris because how will the map have character when there's nothing like a sea to represent a major geographic barrier. Hopefully the galaxies have some geography to them, like perhaps a very strong empire makes one of the spiral arms into a fortress and you have to use some kind of choke point to get in, but if it's just a big network of stars that all have a number of connections to each other, I think it'd be about as exciting as playing a version of EU4 with no oceans.

Yeah I hope there are nebulas and black holes and whatever that make things more interesting.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
From some of the discussion, it seems like Wiz was put on the job for Stellaris AI for the express purpose of giving AI species a tangible flavor based on their ethos. Its not total random gen cardboard, there's a finite matrix of ethoses to account for and the ideal is you can hopefully tell someone's ethos post hoc outside of espionage or whatever just from their diplomatic actions and expansion patterns.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chief Savage Man posted:

I saw some footage where someone was playing humans in Sol and the neighbouring systems were Alpha Centauri and Proxima and poo poo, so it looks like not only is the Sol system accurately detailed, perhaps there's even semi-accurate neighbours too.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I'm so jazzed for Stellaris. Please get it right Paradox :pray:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

From some of the discussion, it seems like Wiz was put on the job for Stellaris AI for the express purpose of giving AI species a tangible flavor based on their ethos. Its not total random gen cardboard, there's a finite matrix of ethoses to account for and the ideal is you can hopefully tell someone's ethos post hoc outside of espionage or whatever just from their diplomatic actions and expansion patterns.

This is what I am currently working on, yes. (Well, currently I'm in San Francisco for GDC but you get the idea)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

vyelkin posted:

I get the feeling, though, that a game of Stellaris will end up lasting longer than a game of EU4.

Is there any particular reason you think this?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Is there any particular reason you think this?

EU4 has an end date and Stellaris doesn't, plus in Stellaris you don't have the option of starting as a large power so if you want to reach any of the victory conditions it may take longer. Just a hunch, I don't have any real information to back up that thought.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

This is what I am currently working on, yes. (Well, currently I'm in San Francisco for GDC but you get the idea)

Can you give us any cool AI-personality info? Like how much unique diplomacy/events/fluff will we get? Will super religious powers get fussy at super materialistic powers and drop little passive aggressive slights during diplomacy? What sort of flavour and behavour can we expect?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

vyelkin posted:

EU4 has an end date and Stellaris doesn't, plus in Stellaris you don't have the option of starting as a large power so if you want to reach any of the victory conditions it may take longer. Just a hunch, I don't have any real information to back up that thought.

Victory conditions? Who will care about victory conditions? It's all about the Steam Achievements on Ironman.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For me personally the argument that randomized space nations will have no personality because they lack either a real life grounding point or a notorious, pervasive AI routine doesn't have a leg to stand on. Yeah, I always kind of look sideways at France when I start a new EU game, or warily down at whatever Muslim clown car is in effect in my CK2 starting date, but by a hundred or a hundred fifty years in every game is vastly different. The Saturday mornings I've spent cursing the name of the French dogs and their slanderous ways is easily equal to the number of times I've considered them a useful ally or puppet. By their very nature the fiddly, almost ethereal reliability of a Paradox AI from session to session crafts stories just fine if you're willing to let yourself get dragged into it. CK tends to do it a little better because of the interpersonal nature of the gameplay, but EU does it just fine as well, and Stellaris seems by all accounts to be EU In Space.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
But Orv, whatever your relations with France, there's always a France for you to worry about, occupying a similar position, and having similar strengths - though their fortunes may wax or wane from one game to another. They are an entity for you to fight or guard against or to befriend. The entire question is whether any of the space realms can reasonably have that kind of solid presence, not whether your interactions with them will be similar.

I'm certainly optimistic about the game in general, but that is one thing that I fear, that the competing realms will end up feeling rather faceless.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think that falls solidly under "literally none of us can answer that at this time and it's almost pointless to worry about."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
No more pointless than any of the other discussion about the game prior to release, really.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I can't imagine there are too many possibilities for fallen empire personalities. They might end up filling the role of the France?

e: Whether it's an issue or not, personally I think being able to make a frustrated shout out to the big blue blob, and my friends nodding in agreement is outweighed by the different scenarios we'll face each game.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 17, 2016

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I do hope that in time we get more options for differing starts. I would enjoy being able to eventually be the monstrous evil that tears through the galaxy or to be almost like the Systems Alliance and leave my home systems to find a full fledged galactic society. What if instead of the game fleshing out over time, you end up exploring your way into the midst of a major galactic conflict that was going on at game start? There's a lot of possibilities here that I'm excited about and if it were any other developer, I'd be disappointed in what isn't in the game at release but given past experiences, we can expect DLC to morph the game almost into its own sequel over time.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad my first impression of the new Moo reboot was soured by the stupid cat jokes, and now the first real non-edited gameplay video is full of cat jokes too. God drat space cats. Also in the mooboot I rolled my eyes that they stuck huge tits on the cats then I remembered:

When I was really young, I my family somehow got MOO 1 & 2 in a very short span of time. I mostly ended up playing Moo 2 because the UI and everything was just easier to get for some reason to me. Plus, it was prettier.

I always thought MOO 1 cat diplomats were men though. Those weren't boobs, just massive pecs on body builder cats! :downs:
I still sorta can't unsee it.

Fintilgin posted:

I grew up on MOO, so I actually feel slightly... treasonous that I have basically no interest in the reboot, but I'm super pumped for Stellaris.

MOO3 :colbert:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

YF-23 posted:

Yeah but that's dumb. If you make a clicker game as promotional material it should be at least fun to spend time on, this thing involved fumbling with it for half an hour before you realise you cannot have a meaningful impact on anything except by manually clicking, and even then you're only making a drop in the bucket. If it has fun cool stuff to do like idling mechanics (which is pretty much the whole deal of the clicker genre) it'd be fine, but this feels like just a waste, you might as well just give away all the rewards to everyone.

Yes, I had hoped my calling it a "stupid clicker game" would reveal that I didn't think it was a great idea. First I knew about it was when it was linked here.
(Sorry cKnoor!)

Baronjutter posted:

Can you give us any cool AI-personality info? Like how much unique diplomacy/events/fluff will we get? Will super religious powers get fussy at super materialistic powers and drop little passive aggressive slights during diplomacy? What sort of flavour and behavour can we expect?

Did you see this already?
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-24-ai.912400/

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 17, 2016

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My biggest concern after those Quill Stellaris vids is that it looked like he had to press a key to zoom out all the way and see the whole galaxy. I really hope that's not the case and that you can smoothly zoom all the way in and out. :ohdear:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

fuf posted:

My biggest concern after those Quill Stellaris vids is that it looked like he had to press a key to zoom out all the way and see the whole galaxy. I really hope that's not the case and that you can smoothly zoom all the way in and out. :ohdear:
I think this was attempted at some point during development. IIRC it was scrapped because it's a neat idea that does not work very well in practice.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

fuf posted:

The video posted just before that one showed them able to zoom all the way out, that video is also out on the paradox extra channel, your probably able to do both

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why can't I pre-order Stellaris or HoIV on Steam yet? :(

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Yeah, how am I supposed to cancel my pre-order if I can't place one yet?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

Mil history thread, I think. I'm sure someone posted about how they were often equipped with modified WW1 rifles and that their ability to procure equipment altered year y year, mostly based off how much high-level supporters could squeeze away from the army. Procurement was very competitive and the army didn't want to get involved with giving it's poo poo to the Waffen-SS which is why the SS took steps to establish their own production infrastructure, trying to get factories just pumping out stuff for them and having war equipment built in concentration camps - something they only made a little headway with before the war ended.

You're probably right about most of this, don't know too much about the Waffen-SS except the fact that alot of their units established later in the war got alot of the good stuff and that it it also contained a bunch of forcibly conscripted eastern Europeans who were not well trained, led or equipped. But, the entire German army used modified WW1 rifles, the Mauser rifle is from 1898/99 and in WW2 they used a version of that with a shorter barrel.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 17, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

British forces were also equipped with WW1 era rifles, doesn't mean poo poo. The Lee Enfield and the Mauser Karabiner are pretty universally admired even today. They're very good rifles, go on youtube and you'll find no end of enthusiasts singing their praises.

gently caress, the M1911 is still issued now in some places. That thing is over a hundred loving years old and still going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fallen Empires are probably one of the best candidates for unique and pre-determined races. You could have a batch of them that pull from different themes such as stagnant and isolationist, guardians of some terrible doom and a species on their way to ascension. You can jumble in some random menaces they are hiding on tomb worlds or whatever and will try to keep you from but I suspect this is exactly what they're doing now. I'd very much like to see a fallen empire-like that goes around the galaxy collecting tribute from the minor races like the Wraith from Stargate Atlantis. You can interact with and make deals with them but ultimately they will want to extract POPs from you.