Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It looks like a 60s logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
It looks like something no child will ever be able to read.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy Valley finale was great as an episode on its own but also made the season worse due to s2 not tying up a whole bunch of storylines and having way too many weird red herrings that came to nothing. Plus the finale totally forgot about Ryan as an actual person. And I reeeeally don't like how it seems to indicate there's gonna be another season.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Were we all happy with the Stag finale?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rondette posted:

haha, watching a fight without Jonathon's exuberant commentary is odd. (or any commentary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_9r0sahVQE

I went and saw it live when I was about 15 - it was stupidly enormously tedious without commentary.

To be fair though a lot of the events I saw were for the US show and Mankind the wrestler did the announcement bits, so it was robots I didn't really recognise. It just felt kinda dead.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Even for the UKTV thread this is a little niche, but apparently Euan Cameron has somehow wrangled presenting something called the Late Show on STV now? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS06cLEyowg&t=7s

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Escobarbarian posted:

Happy Valley finale was great as an episode on its own but also made the season worse due to s2 not tying up a whole bunch of storylines and having way too many weird red herrings that came to nothing. Plus the finale totally forgot about Ryan as an actual person. And I reeeeally don't like how it seems to indicate there's gonna be another season.

"WHAT A poo poo WEEK!" was such a brilliantly cathartic moment though. The occasional flashes of pitch-black humour are amazing.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

thehustler posted:

Were we all happy with the Stag finale?

I wasn't, particularly. In terms of motivations etc it all hung together pretty well but in the third episode they gave up all pretense of any of the characters being actual human beings. A lot of the narrative beats felt off, eg Ledge having about three redemptions and then turning right back into a twat in the next scene. I mean, it fit his characterisation but it didn't feel like that was the joke they were making.

When it skewed more towards comedy in the first two episodes it was easier to let things go. I think it would have worked better if it were a lot darker with occasional comic relief rather than trying to straddle the two. Overall it was a pretty good watch, just a bit disappointing that it fell off towards the end.

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'm going to miss Happy Valley. It's just the bleakest loving show. Nothing good happens to anyone involved.

I lived in Sowerby Bridge my entire life up til I was about 22. Can confirm that this statement is also true irl.

Edit: None of it feels unrealistic or out of character for the area either, I could see any of the stuff in it being true. It's a beautiful part of the world in many ways, but it does produce an awful lot of murderers.

Gavrilo Princip fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 17, 2016

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Paul Daniels is dead, this is the one illusion I'll already remember him for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90GfWDK9q5k

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I once emailed Paul Daniels when I was drunk, and his response was very nice.

I also once emailed Mr. Motivator when I was drunk, and his response was so nice it made me feel bad.

Therefore I liked Paul Daniels, but not as much as Mr. Motivator. That is all.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

I'm going to miss Happy Valley. It's just the bleakest loving show. Nothing good happens to anyone involved.

I started Happy Valley series 1 last night after seeing people recommend it here. I guess the combination of the name and Sarah Lancashire made me think it would be more Call The Midwife* than the noir that it actually is. Lancashire's local sergeant is every bit the pulp detective, battling private horror, putting a smirk on misery and cavorting with a floozie (her ex husband). It suffers from looking the same as every single BBC drama, like you're watching Waterloo Road and suddenly someone is trying to set themselves on fire.

*although from the odd scenes I've seen on the iplayer Frank Skinner interviews and Gogglebox, I may have misjudged that too.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Brown Moses posted:

Paul Daniels is dead, this is the one illusion I'll already remember him for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90GfWDK9q5k

Well, I've just relived a childhood trauma. Had forgotten about this show. I spent the entire night thinking I'd just seen Paul Daniels die on air. It's the sort of stunt you couldn't do now because someone would tweet a photo of him alive about a minute later.

The related videos are full of nostalgia too. Magicians Greatest Secrets Revealed was awesome Saturday teatime TV. And it had Skinner from the X Files presenting it!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Disgusting Coward posted:

I once emailed Paul Daniels when I was drunk, and his response was very nice.

I also once emailed Mr. Motivator when I was drunk, and his response was so nice it made me feel bad.

Therefore I liked Paul Daniels, but not as much as Mr. Motivator. That is all.

You could at least say what you asked/said to them and what they said back!

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Yeah, release the emails.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Series 2 of Raised By Wolves is topping the first. Bringing the character of Della forward allows the always great Rebekah Staton (watch Pulling if you haven't already) to carry the show, while taking that burden off Germaine ensures her horny jumble sale persona is just used for hilarity.

The girl who plays Aretha has the best accent, although I wish they'd incorporate Yam Yam words and refer to The Black Country more.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Richard Herring is doing another Kickstarter, this time for a filmed series of As It Occurs to Me.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/467836598/as-it-occurs-to-me

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
You can't mourn Paul Daniels and not mention this

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

You can't mourn Paul Daniels and not mention this

Oh christ, I totally forgot about this until this exact moment. RIP Paul, I'm glad that you never turned out to be a creepo sex pervert (so far).

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

SEX BURRITO posted:

Well, I've just relived a childhood trauma. Had forgotten about this show. I spent the entire night thinking I'd just seen Paul Daniels die on air. It's the sort of stunt you couldn't do now because someone would tweet a photo of him alive about a minute later.
Or just cut it like the audience are there when they aren't, which IIRC is how McKenna pulled off a lot of "various large object vanishes" illusions.

RIP Paul, I had your magic set when I was like 8 and fooled my brother at least twice.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Khablam posted:

Or just cut it like the audience are there when they aren't, which IIRC is how McKenna pulled off a lot of "various large object vanishes" illusions.

RIP Paul, I had your magic set when I was like 8 and fooled my brother at least twice.

I had that set. I couldn't do any of the tricks save for one in the book that came with it, where you press your arm against a wall for 30 seconds then stand back and watch it rise into the air by itself.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Padje posted:

I had that set. I couldn't do any of the tricks save for one in the book that came with it, where you press your arm against a wall for 30 seconds then stand back and watch it rise into the air by itself.

So you could make walls levitate? Pretty good trick tbf

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I hope Chris Evans' Top Gear is a roaring success just so the BBC commission longer series and he fucks off off of the radio forever. Having reached an age when I really can't listen to daytime Radio One any more, I've retreated to Radio 2 but Evans has just become so bad in the mornings that I'm playing decade old Fabric mix CDs instead. I really want him to just go and let Sara Cox take over full time because she's so much better than him in every way possible

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They tried to commission longer series, but then he signed up to doing more TFI and not giving up his radio work.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Evans is awful and going from the relaxing early morning nonsense of Wogan to that ginger prick literally and repeatedly honking a bicycle horn on air was an enormous mistake.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

Evans is awful and going from the relaxing early morning nonsense of Wogan to that ginger prick literally and repeatedly honking a bicycle horn on air was an enormous mistake.

he still does that too. But what's more irritating is that each show sounds exactly the same, and everything happens in exactly the same order every loving day plus he's completely and utterly lost his ability to interview anyone. I never thought I'd say it but Steve Wright is better than Evans right now, and it's not even close

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Chris Evans only isn't the worst presenter because Vanessa Feltz has a radio show for some reason

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really hoped/thought podcasts would've killed any radio aimed at people under the age of 60 by now.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Chris Evans only isn't the worst presenter because Vanessa Feltz has a radio show for some reason

and it is loving terrible, and I have to listen to just 15 minutes of it a day and urgh, she's loving abysmal

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Radio 4 and 6Music.

That said I struggle with all of R4 fiction and comedy output. It just bores me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
But you can listen to Any Answers? Or whatever their consumer affairs thing is called, I forget.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really hoped/thought podcasts would've killed any radio aimed at people under the age of 60 by now.

I'm equally confused that people, clearly with internet access, listen to the radio in 2016.

e: every tolerable radio show you might be interested in (Radio 4 comedy or whatever) has a podcast anyway.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Khablam posted:

I'm equally confused that people, clearly with internet access, listen to the radio in 2016.

e: every tolerable radio show you might be interested in (Radio 4 comedy or whatever) has a podcast anyway.

I spend about six hours a day in a car with a poo poo radio, it's radio or CDs for me

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Radio 4 and 6Music.

If I had DAB in the car I'd listen to nothing but 6music.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Hang on are you forgetting Elaine page exists

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Radio 4 is the great mood stabiliser. Everything is normal, everything is fine.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
An app peppers my podcasts with stuff from my music library, so I never have to listen to awful garbage people or any of that scary new music from after 2008. God bless this shining futuristic dream realm we live in now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Captain Mediocre posted:

Radio 4 is the great mood stabiliser. Everything is normal, everything is fine.

It's the media equivalent of tea and toast. Nothing bad can happen while you're listening to Radio 4.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I spend about six hours a day in a car with a poo poo radio, it's radio or CDs for me

I can bring you the future present day for £10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

It's the media equivalent of tea and toast. Nothing bad can happen while you're listening to Radio 4.
Apart from womans hour and the archers yes I agree.