Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

Random houserules I'd like to get opinions on. Would you or have you played with these?

* Static initiative. 10+DEX and other modifiers. Whoever has the highest goes first. I feel like it'd give Improved Initiative and high-DEX builds a guaranteed niche, and it cuts down on the pre-fight overhead.
* Armor as Damage Reduction
* Maximum Ranks Limited Choices to cut down on skill management, with some handwaving for PrC requirements
* More feats. How many do you think the game could stand before I'm probably creating more problems for myself? One per level?

1. Worth a shot
2. No. Scales poorly. As Yawgmoth just said, penalizes flurry archers/monks/TWF more than the 2 handed Power Attacker. The many small hits types already have it worse than the 2 handers. (This is also a big reason why critical failures on to hit rolls are a bad idea. You are punishing the people who need the most help.)
3. You can do this already if you want. Skill point spending is pretty fast at most level ups and never happens during gameplay, so I don't really see the benefit.
4. I've done fast feats (1,2,4,6,etc) a number of times before and like it the best. It means the thing you are building for with several prereqs can actually come online at level 6 instead of level 9. That's a lot of hours of play time where you get to do cool thing instead of auto-attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for the feedback, that went just as I expected.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a site, PDF, or even a paid product that would have level 1 pregens (I think they're called iconics?) of the various base classes? I'd like to be able to provide them to players if they want to use those instead of going through the whole process, and then maybe just let them customize the character later.

I checked out the Enemies and Allies book, but that's for 3.0 I think, and the iconic statblocks start at level 5. PHB 2 has a guide for creating the characters, but I'd still have to make the statblocks myself.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
For level 1s you could probably go to any of the random character generators out there and not be too bad off. It's when you get into level 3+ that random generation gets really bad.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Yawgmoth posted:

Well armor as it stands doesn't affect spell DCs or spells that need an attack roll (since all but like two aim at touch AC) so suddenly making armor help resist spells would be weird, or at least a very different house rule than the one suggested. Also, the small amount of DR gained isn't really enough to stymie a mid-to-high level character; knocking 4 off an attack that is doing ~10 is substantial, knocking 4 off 50+ isn't so great. DR is however one of the reasons why attacking a bunch of times in a round (looking at you, flurry of blows) is so much weaker than hitting one time as hard as you can.

yeah, i was trying to think of how to make the armor as DR more feasible, but i agree it's really not an ideal rule change under 3.X because there's too many other things that get affected down the line.

my focus was more that the entire armor reduction vs HP damage comparison is meaningless even at level 1 because of spells like sleep and grease, which is why i tried to puzzle out something that would address those issues. to my mind, all of the other problems about flurry attacks and scaling fist-fulls of damage dice are still secondary problems to the fact that armor as DR doesn't do anything to improve the spells > martial situation.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Any roleplaying tips for the "impatient barbarian" archetype to help hustle along a group that is taking too much time with OOC strategy discussion? I just did a leeroy jenkins last session, but I'd like it to be more hilarious and something I could roll random dice to determine my actions. That way I have OOC plausible deniability - the dice just made me rush into the next fight!

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a reason you can't talk to your group about not spending two hours debating who should open the door?

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
I don't know what the setting usually is, but you can always light things on fire, making noise, grabbing the smallest character and carrying them off to the pub for drinks. Go with the first plan / ideas and just ignore any further discussion, "what? you still talking? we got hobgoblins to kill, come on!"

You can also just go off on your own adventure with the DM (especially if they are taking two hours) and then come back when you're done.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would never let a group debate for two hours on whether to open a door or not. As the DM in this conversation, I think Mandingo is just asking for a laundry list of impulsive, Leeroy-Jenkins reactions he can either pick from or roll for when he's in his not-thinking-clearly mode.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

The Mandingo posted:

I'd like it to be more hilarious and something I could roll random dice to determine my actions. That way I have OOC plausible deniability - the dice just made me rush into the next fight!

oh yeah lol here's a pretty hilarious d% table:

00-17: drink from a flask of alchemist's fire
18-32: play the "stab table rapidly between your own spayed fingers" game
33-49: ferret-leg a creature from a bag of tricks
50-60: undertake ritual of crucimigration
71-89: just go gently caress yourself, seriously (auto-erotic asphyxiation; dc 15 use rope check to ejaculate without dying)
90-98: roll again twice
99: talk earnestly to your friends, as an adult does, about habits of theirs that you find frustrating, or at least have the wherewithal to act like a spaz in whichever way you desire without a transparent and unfunny pretense of "plausible deniability"

may all your hits be critical, goon sir.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Cross post from the older D&D thread:

Moriatti posted:

Dunno if this is the correct thread but...
A friend invited me to a 3.5 game, and while I'm very familiar with both Pathfinder and 4e, my experience in 3.5 is much more limited.

In Pathfinder, I tend to play a buff heavy summoner with an aggressive Eidolon who focuses on aiding other members of the party.

In 4e, I play a bit of everything.

Looking at some class options, Artificer, Sword Sage and Bard all seemed cool to me. This will be a more free form and less combat heavy game then I'm used to, are there any really fun builds with those classes? Not necessarily heavily optimised, but ones that for the few combats that do happen, they can do their fun little tricks?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Artificer is a really strong class if you like spreadsheets - if you don't, I'd suggest another class. Swordsages are awesome and fun to play, and are hard to build badly. Bards are good buffers and have some good spells as well.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
tl;dr: Can you full attack to get all of your iterative attacks and then add on any natural attacks you have available, or are natural attacks only available by themselves?

Let's talk about a hypothetical 12th level martial character with two levels of Dragon Disciple, BAB 11/6/1, 22 STR, using a +2 magical Greatsword (2d6+2) and has the following natural attacks:

Smashing Tail (Races of the Dragon p. 130), Draconic graft, tail is a secondary slam attack that deals damage as a dragon one size category larger than you, adding 1.5x your STR bonus to damage
Horned Helm (Magic Item Compendium p. 112), Magical Helm, when you place a horned helm on your head, the antlers join solidly to your skull and grant you a natural secondary gore attack that deals 1d8 points of damage plus half your STR bonus
Dragon Disciple (Tome and Blood p. 56) At 2nd level, the dragon disciple gains claw and bite attacks if he does not already have them. Medium-size Bite damage 1d6, Claw damage 1d4.

Assuming a full attack, is this is what would happen?

1st Attack, +2 Greatsword: +18 melee (11 bab, 6 STR mod, 2 magical weapon), damage (2d6+8)
2nd Attack, +2 Greatsword: +13 melee (6 bab, 6 STR mod, 2 magical weapon), damage (2d6+8)
3rd Attack, +2 Greatsword: +8 melee (1 bab, 6 STR mod, 2 magical weapon), damage (2d6+8)
Claw attack: Not possible while wielding 2h weapon
Slam attack, Tail: +13 melee (11 bab, 6 STR mod, -5 penalty from secondary natural attack), damage (1d8+9)
Gore attack, Horned Helm: +13 melee(11 bab, 6 STR mod, -5 penalty from secondary natural attack), damage (1d8+3)
Bite attack, +13 melee (11 bab, 6 STR mod, -5 penalty from secondary natural attack), damage (1d6)

69.5 total average damage, 45 from iterative attacks, 24.5 from natural attacks

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Unless this is a Pathfinder specific thing (the games blur together in my head, sorry), you can add on secondary natural attacks. So in your case the tail, bite and (I think?) the gore, but not the claws, even if you were using a one handed weapon or otherwise had your hands free.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually, PF lets you use primary natural attacks like claws and most bites and gores, but they become secondary when combined with manufactured weapon attacks. I believe 3.5 is the same.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The Crotch posted:

I believe 3.5 is the same.

I'm about 90% sure this is right.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Well I'll be damned.

I still can't find whatever rule it is that prevents you from using a claw attack with the same arm you're using a weapon attack with, but otherwise gently caress me. I'm not sure where I got my initial impression, it's actually pretty clearly stated.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Piell posted:

Artificer is a really strong class if you like spreadsheets - if you don't, I'd suggest another class.

Artificer is the class for that guy who likes tracking his inventory down to the copper piece, lugging around a dozen enchanted bear traps "just in case", and doing analyses of wand costs vs. party resource usage and average party stats to figure out what buffs are the most gold-efficient.

It's me. I am that guy.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Oh hey, did someone ask for my artificer equipment spreadsheet? (File->Make copy...->Do accounting like a mother fucker)

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

The Mandingo posted:

tl;dr: Can you full attack to get all of your iterative attacks and then add on any natural attacks you have available, or are natural attacks only available by themselves?

Let's talk about a hypothetical 12th level martial character with two levels of Dragon Disciple, BAB 11/6/1, 22 STR, using a +2 magical Greatsword (2d6+2) and has the following natural attacks:

Smashing Tail (Races of the Dragon p. 130), Draconic graft, tail is a secondary slam attack that deals damage as a dragon one size category larger than you, adding 1.5x your STR bonus to damage
Horned Helm (Magic Item Compendium p. 112), Magical Helm, when you place a horned helm on your head, the antlers join solidly to your skull and grant you a natural secondary gore attack that deals 1d8 points of damage plus half your STR bonus
Dragon Disciple (Tome and Blood p. 56) At 2nd level, the dragon disciple gains claw and bite attacks if he does not already have them. Medium-size Bite damage 1d6, Claw damage 1d4.

Assuming a full attack, is this is what would happen?

1st Attack, +2 Greatsword: +18 melee (11 bab, 6 STR mod, 2 magical weapon), damage (2d6+8)
2nd Attack, +2 Greatsword: +13 melee (6 bab, 6 STR mod, 2 magical weapon), damage (2d6+8)
3rd Attack, +2 Greatsword: +8 melee (1 bab, 6 STR mod, 2 magical weapon), damage (2d6+8)
Claw attack: Not possible while wielding 2h weapon
Slam attack, Tail: +13 melee (11 bab, 6 STR mod, -5 penalty from secondary natural attack), damage (1d8+9)
Gore attack, Horned Helm: +13 melee(11 bab, 6 STR mod, -5 penalty from secondary natural attack), damage (1d8+3)
Bite attack, +13 melee (11 bab, 6 STR mod, -5 penalty from secondary natural attack), damage (1d6)

69.5 total average damage, 45 from iterative attacks, 24.5 from natural attacks

I think I found the answer, Monster Manual p. 311 - "Manufactured Weapons: Some monsters employ manufactured weapons when they attack. Creatures that use swords, bows, spears, and the like follow the same rules as characters, including thos for additonal attacks from a high base attack bonus and two-weapon fighting penalties. [...] Some creatures combine attacks with natural and manufactured weapons when they make a full attack. When they do so, the manufactured weapon attack is considered the primary attack unless the creature's description indicates otherwise [...] and any natural weapons the creature also uses are considered secondary natural attacks. These secondary attacks do not interfere with the primary attack as attacking with an off-hand weapon does, but they take the usual -5 penalty (or -2 with the Multiattack feat) for such attacks, even if the natural weapon used is normally the creature's primary natural weapon."

SRD says that all secondary attacks get half of the STR bonus on damage. Also, Power Attack explicitly says you can power attack with natural attacks, so that boosts damage too.

Time to have fun with grafts and magic and make a Lovecraftian tentacled horror.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Mandingo posted:

Time to have fun with grafts and magic and make a Lovecraftian tentacled horror.
I am so happy to be in a group where I'm not playing the most hosed up character by a country mile. :allears:

That means I can get even weirder now.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I think a natural attack psychic warrior would be much more effective, but there are fun things I can tack onto my current character.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Is there a prestige class, or feat, or item, or spell, or any way to get Skirmishing without dipping into Scout? Or more specifically, is there a way to access the "gain AC after moving at least 10 feet" feature without dipping into Scout?

2. Can I get help digging up info on the Sangehirn prestige class? I know it came from a web enhancement, but my google-fu can't navigate me through WOTC's archives.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

1) assuming that Expeditious Dodge or Desert Wind Dodge feats don't do it for you (not explicitly Skirmish) the Highland Stalker PrC in complete adventurer gets you it. Honestly not great though

2) Sangehirn

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nihilarian posted:

1) assuming that Expeditious Dodge or Desert Wind Dodge feats don't do it for you (not explicitly Skirmish) the Highland Stalker PrC in complete adventurer gets you it. Honestly not great though

2) Sangehirn

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I'm also looking for something. I have a character for whom their faith is a very important guiding force and source of personal strength, but isn't in a class that receives divine powers(He gained this faith later on, it's a bit late to multiclass cleric). I've been looking for just about anything where he could have something as a demonstrable effect on him as such, but all I've been able to find is a handful of not-terribly amazing feats, True Believer (I have an item concept out for that since the deity isn't one that has any source material relics), and church affiliation benefits from Complete Champion. Is there anything I'm missing from a book I just haven't seen, or is that pretty much it for a non-divinely-powered class?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rorac posted:

I'm also looking for something. I have a character for whom their faith is a very important guiding force and source of personal strength, but isn't in a class that receives divine powers(He gained this faith later on, it's a bit late to multiclass cleric). I've been looking for just about anything where he could have something as a demonstrable effect on him as such, but all I've been able to find is a handful of not-terribly amazing feats, True Believer (I have an item concept out for that since the deity isn't one that has any source material relics), and church affiliation benefits from Complete Champion. Is there anything I'm missing from a book I just haven't seen, or is that pretty much it for a non-divinely-powered class?
How about the Ardent, from Complete Psionic?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rorac posted:

This is what the divine champion, divine seeker, and arcane devotee are for, all in the Player's Guide to Faerun.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

How about the Ardent, from Complete Psionic?

Sadly, the character is already a totemist/scout (go go skirmish + pounce + a shitload of natural weapons), so further multiclassing would be somewhat... eehh, and flavor wise, I'm not sure a psionic class would mesh with the character so well. The basic concept sounds interesting though, and I'll keep it in mind for a later character.

Arivia posted:

This is what the divine champion, divine seeker, and arcane devotee are for, all in the Player's Guide to Faerun.

Those are interesting and I'll keep the divine champion in mind, although I'll have to see if I could get the GM to change the weapon focus requirement, since the character doesn't really use manufactured weapons.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Is intimidate, and by extension demoralize, a supernatural, spell-like, or extraordinary ability, or something else?

It's just Fear, so I'm thinking its spell-like.

Can the monster feat Ability Focus work for intimidate/demoralize? How exactly is "special attack" defined? I've seen that it's any ability that has a saving throw with a DC of 10 + 1/2 HD + ability mod, so by that argument intimidate should qualify.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I don't actually think it's any of those, it seems in the vein of using, say, Feint and likewise is a completely mundane special attack, and I don't think it would be subject to anything that strictly affects supernatural, spell-like, or extraordinary abilities.

Edit: based on this page, it's not actually a special attack in the first place. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm

So, it's simply an opposed skill check, and shouldn't be enhanced by Ability Focus.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 4, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I think you're right, I read the section in the Monster Manual about special attacks and it doesn't fit with any of those. Plus the existence of the feat Skill Focus is what affects Intimidate/Demoralize.

Any ideas on how to improve the DC of other fear effects, besides pumping up charisma?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I realized I hadn't actually linked you to the fear handbook yet: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809

If it's not in there, it probably doesn't exist. ("Hey, most of that stuff is only really useful for spellcasters," you say. Welcome to 3.5, we hope you like being a caster! There are a few things in the guide that are relevant for non-casting classes though.)

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Bouquet posted:

I realized I hadn't actually linked you to the fear handbook yet: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809

If it's not in there, it probably doesn't exist. ("Hey, most of that stuff is only really useful for spellcasters," you say. Welcome to 3.5, we hope you like being a caster! There are a few things in the guide that are relevant for non-casting classes though.)

Yes, this is bookmarked for me. The build I'm working with cribs from the Vern build. I've already got the Amulet of Fearsome Might (Dragon Magazine, Issue 332, Page 70), but was hoping there's other items that increase the DC of fear.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Quick question, with the spell Girallon's Blessing (link http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/girallon-s-blessing)out of the Spell compendium, what happens if I cast this on someone wearing armor, does the armor break, are their arms pinned in the armor, or does the armor magically allow the arms entrance and exit?

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 4, 2016

Eikre
May 2, 2009
In the original Savage Species printing, the eruption of new limbs would destroy ordinary garments, but magical armor and clothing would adjust to compensate.

As per the core rules:

System Reference Document posted:

Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they adjust themselves magically to the wearer. Size should not keep characters of various kinds from using magic items.

So it's not out of bounds that the Spell Compendium printing should do the same.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Eikre posted:

In the original Savage Species printing, the eruption of new limbs would destroy ordinary garments, but magical armor and clothing would adjust to compensate.

As per the core rules:

So it's not out of bounds that the Spell Compendium printing should do the same.

So, if it is magical armor , it is all good. If it isn't magical, then the armor is hosed?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Pretty much, by RAW.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
What all can a dancing weapon do? Looks like it gets BAB but not +STR. Can it make special attacks, like trip or disarm? Does it get iterative attacks? Could you use a dancing weapon ("can be loosed to attack on its own") and claws of the beast at the same time ("If you attack with a manufactured weapon or another natural attack, you can't make any claw attacks in that round")?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
"Attack" is a generalized term that is not necessarily limited to striking for damage, so a Dancing Weapon should be able to undertake tripping and disarming. I surmise you should be able to use Claws of the Beast, because:

Dancing Weapon posted:

the person who activated it is not considered armed with the weapon

• Locked thread