Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should have made the side boards ramps too.

Just make it a giant half pipe so dudes can do tricks as they skate in on a rush. gently caress your defender, I just did a 360 spin over his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I prefer the flip side of that where a defender does a 10 foot drop onto someone's head as they cross into the zone.

BarDown
Jun 20, 2013

Peace among worlds
*burp*BITCHHHH*burp*

D C posted:

To hockey stop in roller you really need to commit to it, and throw your weight way back.

This when it comes to hockey stopping in roller. Just have to trust yourself and commit.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

BarDown posted:

This when it comes to hockey stopping in roller. Just have to trust yourself and commit.

absolutely. stopping on wheels is really only about having the right hardness for the surface you're on. get the right wheels and you can stop on a dime on sport court. on concrete I still slide a bunch but I'm a bigger guy so it has the added effect to chewing up whatever wheels I'm on, so some skate dragging and a big circle are a must. you can also slow down pretty effectively by kicking your feet out front to back and rolling on 2 wheels, back foot-front wheel, front foot-back wheel.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vargatron posted:

At least you made up lost time with a scrimmage. They did give you a forfeit, right?
Thankfully they do, as we are on that playoff bubble so we need all we can get.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Played my last Bronze game on Sunday in an OT loss. Onward and upward, I suppose.

My last goal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guvfcpYwKLY

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

xzzy posted:

Last night I spent more time than I want to admit googling to try and find someone who does custom pant shells.

I came up empty.

Catching up with the thread so apologies if this has been answered but have a search for Jersey53 - (I think this is the right site: http://www.jer53y.com/) they do full custom everything, and will do one off jobs as well.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
OH MY GOD

Those Borat uniforms. Holy poo poo.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That's one way to reduce contact in the game

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
After learning to play Hockey for the last 18 months I've finally made a team. Division 3 (out of 3) third line (out of three) winger. First season I've qualified for and I didn't try out so I can't really complain about that.

We have a massive team for rec hockey which is why we are rolling 3 lines. Season starts in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xryokus posted:

After learning to play Hockey for the last 18 months I've finally made a team. Division 3 (out of 3) third line (out of three) winger. First season I've qualified for and I didn't try out so I can't really complain about that.

We have a massive team for rec hockey which is why we are rolling 3 lines. Season starts in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.

Congrats, have a blast.

I've really come to like rolling 3 lines. It's less ice time which is a bummer but it's way better for bench and locker room social time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best games I've been in have had 6 forwards, I think dudes stay more invested and pick their battles a little bit better.

But 9 forwards is really nice for the legs. If you stay religious about 45 seconds and off you feel really drat good in the third period and having an extra step is never bad.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Well, it's painted. There's a few things I would change for next time, but it's just an experiment after all. Now to take it to some stick & pucks and see how it holds up.

Also, it's the best time of the year: we've finally moved back to the early time slots. We have the late game this week, and we'll be done playing before we would have even started last week.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Brettbot posted:

Well, it's painted. There's a few things I would change for next time, but it's just an experiment after all. Now to take it to some stick & pucks and see how it holds up.

Also, it's the best time of the year: we've finally moved back to the early time slots. We have the late game this week, and we'll be done playing before we would have even started last week.

What kind of paint did you use?

We have a handful of early games now too, which is a nice change from playing at 10:45 every night. Of course dudes are now bitching that making a 7:00 game is hard because of traffic. I'm just glad I can get to sleep before 4am.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looks like Bauer is pushing closer and closer to that magical $1000 mark with the new skates. lol

Who the gently caress would spend $1000 on ice skates

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bewbies posted:

Looks like Bauer is pushing closer and closer to that magical $1000 mark with the new skates. lol

I think the question is, who the gently caress would spend $1000 for off-the-shelf ice skates. I'm sure people are already spending that much on VH custom skates or whatever.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

delpheye posted:

What kind of paint did you use?

We have a handful of early games now too, which is a nice change from playing at 10:45 every night. Of course dudes are now bitching that making a 7:00 game is hard because of traffic. I'm just glad I can get to sleep before 4am.

The cheapest, thinnest paint they had, which is one of the things I would change next time. I got impatient after the third or fourth coat, so I laid a heavy coat which led to some runs in the paint (but finally covered the graphics). Then I put three or four passes of glossy clear on it and called it good.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Congrats, have a blast.

I've really come to like rolling 3 lines. It's less ice time which is a bummer but it's way better for bench and locker room social time.

Yeah, we were talking about this over beers after our game the other night and mostly agreed that it's worse from the standpoint of exercise achieved vs money spent but it is cool socially to have the whole team there (I guess this depends on if you like your team). Though the team taking a bunch of penalties can really gently caress up people's icetime with a full bench, which can be lovely especially since I would guess on most teams the penalty minutes skew dramatically towards certain people.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

People with far too much money and far too much regard for their own skill level buy those skates. I had to talk a guy out of getting x900s for learning to skate

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's an investment! When he makes it to the NHL he won't have to get new skates.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

bewbies posted:

I just looked at the specs for the new skate, and there's so many ridiculous marketing buzz words in there.

At least their mid-tier skate is $299, and their budget skate is only $64.99 (laughably crap skate btw). It's just that pricing jumps exponentially between each. There's a 400% price increase from the bottom-tier skate to the mid-tier, and a 317% increase from mid-tier to high-end.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Always buy last year's model for half off.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think you'll be hard pressed to find new in box 1x's for 450, and even that is a lot

Used skates on eBay y'all

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Especially with my bigfoot shaped feet. I think manufacturers only make like 5 copies in EE width to supply the entire world.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We had a 10:30 game last night, which we started off by going to a Silvertips game beforehand since we were playing at the same rink anyway.

We only had 9 skaters show up so we ran 2 lines of forwards and had one rotating defenseman. Pretty much all of the higher skilled guys didn't show up so we basically just tried playing a defensive game and making slower more methodical breakouts since we wouldn't have the legs.

They scored early in the 1st period. They peppered us with shots from the point as all of their defensemen were great skaters with hard shots. I grabbed a loose puck at the top of one of the circles and scored high glove on the goalie tying the game 1-1. It would be that way until about 6 minutes left in the 3rd period. Shots were 61-17 by the end of the game and we lost 4-1. Two of their goals were very questionable lucky bounces. We hit about 3 or 4 posts with great shots so it could easily have been a different game despite the shot count.

I think we had 15 blocked shots. At one point we were looking at the scoreboard seeing 2-1 with 55 shots to our 15.

Holy gently caress am I tired this morning.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

bewbies posted:

I spent about $900 on my One.9s when I got them and that was "last years" model too. I believe the NXG was the new model at the time.

I think they will last me for many years so I don't mind spending the extra cash for them.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
If you have access to pro team surplus equipment sales and have similar feet to someone on the team you can get sweet deals. I got barely-used NXGs for like $150.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

dyn posted:

I spent about $900 on my One.9s when I got them and that was "last years" model too. I believe the NXG was the new model at the time.

I think they will last me for many years so I don't mind spending the extra cash for them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sad thing about goalie gear is that when you get to a certain level, you have to get better gear to stop bruises and stingers. Rather play against a certain skill level I should say.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

dyn posted:

You're insane.

Let me know when you need skates again and I will find you a better deal and take a vig for myself.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Grafs were about 900$. Lasted a decade through college play and they're still going strong. Got hit 4 times with the puck in the ankle last weekend and it barely stung. Worth every penny

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jesus Christ, this.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I cant/couldnt get my Makos for cheap.

I mean, you can get the gen1s for peanuts but the gen2s were a huge improvement in materials.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mako 2s are now 199 on eBay. 250 buy it now, new.

Total ones were super cheap too.

It's all about eBay.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My skates cost me around £130. Couldn't imagine going much higher for years to come.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah and here I was having a wee bit of sticker shock about dropping ~$350 on my Grafs after realizing my crapo vapors were way, way the wrong size for my foot.

related: man I don't think I'm ever buying anything bauer again - their gear is kinda poo poo, durability-wise. And I'm in no-check garbage tier.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I don't have a problem with their stuff, I swear by their skates as they were made for my feet. I play at least once a week for the last three years and my bauer x4/40/4.0 whatevers are still going strong with no replacement anytime soon

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I treat my Bauer skates like poo poo, got them used, and have skated probably 500 times in them? And when I got them the holders were a mess and the runners were almost completely gone so they had seen some miles.

Rivets rusted through once and my tongue that I glued in came off. Not bad for that much barefoot skating

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
You disgust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

I don't have a problem with their stuff, I swear by their skates as they were made for my feet. I play at least once a week for the last three years and my bauer x4/40/4.0 whatevers are still going strong with no replacement anytime soon
My bauer shoulder pads aren't even a year old and the whole left side where the sternum part is sewn into the chest part with the soft velcro has completely ripped from stem to stern. :shrug:

Skate durability I can't speak to as, outside of a ½ season, I bailed from them over to what I use now, so they haven't seen much abuse.