Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
So glad to see the Histories and Lore already on the ol' tube. Art quality has dipped in a lot of segments (barristan, yikes), but there's a 22 minute section on the Dance of the Dragons and it's excellent. They dig deep and have Michelle Fairley, Mark Addy, Pedro Pascal, and Harry Lloyd do narration, which is a really strange mix for the subject matter but they choose excellent vignettes and tones for each; Viserys petulantly whinging about the simultaneous glory and incompetence of Targaryens past, Oberyn basically VAing for Daemon, Catelyn narrating the Blood and Cheese affair which, in all the macabre, I had completely neglected that it was essentially a story of two mothers' grief, rage, and madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Yeah, I liked it. The majority of the rest seemed like a tourists' guide to Essos, though. I'll be happy once we're out of that place.

Besides Slavers' Bay, the only major place with a significant number of slaves is Volantis, correct? If so, we can probably expect Dany to make a pit stop there next year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

tin can made man posted:

So glad to see the Histories and Lore already on the ol' tube. Art quality has dipped in a lot of segments (barristan, yikes), but there's a 22 minute section on the Dance of the Dragons and it's excellent. They dig deep and have Michelle Fairley, Mark Addy, Pedro Pascal, and Harry Lloyd do narration, which is a really strange mix for the subject matter but they choose excellent vignettes and tones for each; Viserys petulantly whinging about the simultaneous glory and incompetence of Targaryens past, Oberyn basically VAing for Daemon, Catelyn narrating the Blood and Cheese affair which, in all the macabre, I had completely neglected that it was essentially a story of two mothers' grief, rage, and madness.

Got a link?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJVVwWN2zNY

Channel has all the other blu-ray stuff to boot.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJVVwWN2zNY

Channel has all the other blu-ray stuff to boot.

cheers

The Guest
Mar 14, 2016

Has some kind of confirmation been figured out where we know the most likely candidate for the burning flayed person? Obvious first guess would be Stannis, then Tormund but now that I'm watching the trailer in HD and zooming in and you still can't see whose army that is in the background, which makes me think it could possibly be Roose or Ramsay themselves, and it's the victor's sense of irony that they choose to do it to him in return for all the poo poo he's done.

Also the scene that leads to that shot is Roose/Ramsay themselves.

Double also, there's actually two shots of the burning man, the first one is far back enough where the army being so blurry could be coincidental, but then the second shot is actually focusing on the army and it's still too blurry to see it, almost like it's intentionally done so that you can't see whose army it is (thus spoiling Ramsay or Roose's downfall).

Screenshotted it to show, that's not zoomed in, that's the second shot they use and you can see how insanely blurry it is. Maybe I'm overthinking it but I can't seriously think such a bad looking, out of focused shot would have been taken intentionally.

As for the sigil banners you can see, we see the Greyjoy banners earlier in the trailer (obviously they'd have an interest in smashing Boltons, not even for Theon since Euron would have no interest in getting him back, but for morale over what Boltons have been doing, Moat etc) and you can see the (presupposed) wildling army also has banners (don't remember if book wildlings used them), also there's a bannerman with what people are guessing is Jon's army.

I mean if it's actually the Boltons doing it, why bother obfuscating it? It doesn't 'reveal' anything because you can't tell who the person being burned is and everyone's first thought is Stannis anyway.

Triple also I need to get a life

The Guest fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 16, 2016

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Is flaying AND burning even part of the typical Bolton MO? I thought they just flayed and left the victim on display as a warning (like the old lady last season).

The Guest
Mar 14, 2016

You're right and they don't burn them, but the first thing that comes to mind is it being a mockery of Stannis' fire god following.

But I'm hoping it turns out to be something else because I'm really tired of the Boltons on the show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think it's Tormund, because the show usually likes to do its big battles in one sequence.

My guess is it's a Lord that goes to parley with the Boltons before the fight. I don't know why it's on fire.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 16, 2016

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
At least he's too thin to be Manderly.

Lycus posted:

My guess is it's a Lord that goes to parley with the Boltons before the fight. I don't know why it's on fire.

It's cold out there, no point wasting perfectly good firewood. Might make the soldiers hungry though.

Stannis Baratheon in-character as Stephen Dillane posted:

“I am not regretting to have done Game of Thrones, but I have nothing to say about it. I didn’t understand nor the show nor its success when I was part of it.

The experience was very strange, I wasn’t affected by it. In order to like a role, I need to be interested in it, and that wasn’t really the case with Game of Thrones. I was a bit overwelmed by the events.” […] Why, in this case, did he accept the role? After a long and exasperated silence, he answers “Between other things, for the money”.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 16, 2016

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Ague Proof posted:

Stephen Dillane quote

lol the source in French is even a bit stronger than that: http://next.liberation.fr/images/2016/03/13/stephen-dillane-a-la-gauche-du-trone_1439355

quote:

Rétif à évoquer le sujet («on est obligés d’en parler ?»), il n’a jamais participé aux tournées promotionnelles mastodontes. Pourquoi donc ? «Pas intéressé», rétorque-t-il, agacé. Comme s’il était spectateur d’une carrière en dents de scie, il se prête au jeu en somnambule. Il confie, évasif : «Je ne regrette pas d’avoir fait Game of Thrones mais je n’ai rien à en dire. Je ne comprenais ni la série ni son succès quand j’y participais. L’expérience a été très bizarre, elle m’est passée sous le nez. Pour qu’un rôle me plaise, il faut que je puisse m’y intéresser, ce qui n’était pas vraiment le cas. J’étais un peu dépassé par les événements.» Il confirme, néanmoins, que son personnage ne reviendra pas, y compris sous forme ectoplasmique. Du tournage en costumes dans cette usine à gaz aux quatre coins de la planète, on ne saura rien, hormis, qu’il était «difficile car c’est une grosse machine». Pourquoi, alors, s’y être engagé ? Long silence, de plus en plus exaspéré. «Entre autres, pour l’argent.»

my translation (not 100% sure on a couple phrases, it's been a while)

quote:

Reluctant to discuss the topic ("Do we have to?"), he never took part in the show's huge promotional tours. Why not? "Not interested," he replies, annoyed. He sleepwalked his way through the role, as if it was just another part of an up-and-down career.. He confides, evasively, "I don't regret having done Game of Thrones, but I have nothing to say about it. I didn't understand the series or its popularity when I was on it. The experience was very strange, it sort of slipped through my fingers. For a role to satisfy me, I have to be interested in it, which wasn't really the case. Events kind of passed me by." He confirms, however, that his character is not returning, not even in ectoplasmic (?) form. From the shooting of this incredibly complicated production, one wouldn't know anything, except that it was "difficult because it's such a huge machine." Why then, did he take part? After a long and increasingly exasperated silence. "For money, among other things."

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"I don't care about this nerd poo poo."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Lycus posted:

"I don't care about this nerd poo poo."

Stephen Dillane quoth "It's only tits and dragons"

The Guest
Mar 14, 2016

That's a shame because he was really the perfect Stannis to me, but the show seems to go out of its way to have the perfect actors get the perfect roles then gently caress it all up

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Idk getting a dour actor to play a dour role while apparently doing the bare minimum to get him invested in the role thus only frustrating him further and making him even more suitable for the role might have been a stroke of genius from D&D.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Alternatively I wonder if they decided to kill him off last season just so both parties could move on, if he was that uninvested in the role.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
...yeah, I think it's just perfect casting? In general, I found that most actors, even though they are actors, are the best when they play characters not very much unlike themselves.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Either way, there's inevitably gonna be cast members that don't really like fantasy and are cashing a check between dramas. So be it.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

meristem posted:

...yeah, I think it's just perfect casting? In general, I found that most actors, even though they are actors, are the best when they play characters not very much unlike themselves.

Indeed, I've heard from several sources that Charles Dance isn't too far off from Tywin in terms of personality. Then again Emilia Clarke is a totally different person IRL than as Daenaerys.

Lycus posted:

Either way, there's inevitably gonna be cast members that don't really like fantasy and are cashing a check between dramas. So be it.

Yeah I recall the guy who plays Mace Tyrell had no real idea what he was being cast into, and at first the fanclubs derided him for his, but his clueless buffoonery is actually an asset to the role.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

the jizz taxi posted:

Indeed, I've heard from several sources that Charles Dance isn't too far off from Tywin in terms of personality.

Nah, Charles Dance is a super chill and sassy dude; he just has a really good voice/enunciation for lecturing people and he gets typecast as stern, humorless, lecturing characters because it's a role at which he's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2MvYGl4dbs

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
What is the deal with actors playing roles that they know nothing about? I totally get it's not reasonable to expect the actor to read all ASOIAF the books to get the subtle nuances of the part they are playing, but apparently all Stephen Dillane was told about Stannis (after he went out of his way to ask), was that he was a man who "had won some battles". How hard would it have been to hire a nerd sperglord to come on set for one day and just sit down with the actors and explain the characters in-depth, especially for the actors that will be expected to play these characters for several years?
There is an interview I saw of Hugh Jackman talking about how he watched documentaries about wolves to prepare to play the part of Wolverine, because he didn't know that that wasn't what the character was like. How hard is it to cast an actor in a role (especially a comic book character), and then hand them some basic information (or even a few comics to read). Is it up to the director, or maybe casting director to do this? Or is it just up to an actor to do how ever much or little research on their own?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

King of Foolians posted:

What is the deal with actors playing roles that they know nothing about? I totally get it's not reasonable to expect the actor to read all ASOIAF the books to get the subtle nuances of the part they are playing, but apparently all Stephen Dillane was told about Stannis (after he went out of his way to ask), was that he was a man who "had won some battles". How hard would it have been to hire a nerd sperglord to come on set for one day and just sit down with the actors and explain the characters in-depth, especially for the actors that will be expected to play these characters for several years?
There is an interview I saw of Hugh Jackman talking about how he watched documentaries about wolves to prepare to play the part of Wolverine, because he didn't know that that wasn't what the character was like. How hard is it to cast an actor in a role (especially a comic book character), and then hand them some basic information (or even a few comics to read). Is it up to the director, or maybe casting director to do this? Or is it just up to an actor to do how ever much or little research on their own?

Why would he watch documentaries about wolves to prepare to play a wolverine?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Its very hard because most nerds can't act. Actors are generally shallow empty people that take direction and can put on any face well. Their job isn't to understand or know what someone's backstory is. Rather they're supposed to say lines in exact way the director wants them to.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

King of Foolians posted:

Some directors, casting directors, and writers do this.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
One of the things that comes through very obviously in what Dillane is saying and we often tend to downplay is just how big and complicated GoT is logistically, directors who have to shoot scenes out of sequence with a whole bunch of actors flying from place to place every couple of weeks might just not have the time to coach their actors off camera even if they wanted to. Dillane was a fan favorite despite apparently him disliking the role and the production not doing much to get him into it, so I guess it doesn't always matter that much.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Armyman25 posted:

Why would he watch documentaries about wolves to prepare to play a wolverine?

He had never heard of a wolverine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-3dPya9aiw

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

That's hilarious.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
So what all's known about season 6? I need a summary.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Summary: It will be bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hell I'm excited.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

So what all's known about season 6? I need a summary.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13m92zm2jETuKlKNj7KVMFtO-Bmwj2HQR7N6y_wBoRWM

Summary:
- it will mostly a 'dealing with outstanding stuff' season:
-- it will close multiple hanging arcs and locations. Braavos, Meereen, the Dothraki and the Boltons, among possible others.
-- it will also introduce some outstanding AFFC/ADWD material: Euron and the Kingsmoot (Victarion is out, though), Jaime at Riverrun, a combined Septon Meribald-Elder Brother figure.
-- it will also deal with the past, via Bran's visions. In particular, Tower of Joy for certain and presumably RLJ in its entirety are included.

- plot details:
-- Jon has an arc where he convinces the Wildings to fight against the Boltons. This will culminate in E9, in a battle with, at the minimum, the Boltons, the Umbers, the Karstarks, the Mormonts, the Hornwoods, the Wildings, with the Vale forces led by Littlefinger coming up late; Ramsay will lead the Bolton forces;
-- Sansa stays in the North. According to Liam Cunningham, 'she has an amazing arc this year'. She will also in some manner participate in the Snowbowl;
-- there is a CGI-heavy scene in E10 filmed at Castle Black; speculation is, the Wall may be falling this season or the White Walker forces may be amassing there;
-- Theon returns to the Iron Islands; no idea how this relates to the Kingsmoot and especially what happens later;
-- Brienne returns to the Riverlands. Speculation is, it's she who meets Ian McShane's Septon Meribald-Elder Brother. She definitely has a scene with Jaime at Riverrun at the end of the season, though;
-- Jaime at some point has a scene where he releases Margaery from Faith prison, and then leaves King's Landing for the Riverlands;
-- Cersei, who the gently caress knows, except that, per the trailer, she 'chooses violence';
-- Sam at some point gets to Oldtown and at some point meets his family in Horn Hill;
-- Arya has an arc where she's 'broken', 'at her lowest' (speculation is, she's about to join the Faceless Men). She witnesses the Stark play from the Mercy chapter at some point. At some point, she leaves back for the Riverlands;
-- Tyrion has to deal with Meereen. This includes a widespread famine, the Harpies and the ascendant Red God faith. Yunkai makes a play - Yezzan has a scene with whatever that Yunkish from Season 3 was called. Varys leaves midseason;
-- Dany gets captured, is led to Vaes Dothrak. At some point, she has a 'very special' scene with the women there. At the end of the season, she meets Tyrion again;
-- Bran will have the aforementioned visions. No idea if anything else happens for him;
-- Dorne is in the season, but not much is known about it.

That's more or less it, I think.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I'm really looking forward to this season more than any other. Finally gonna get some plot resolution and confirmations of things I've been speculating on since I was in high school. Even if it's just broad strokes...gently caress this poo poo! I just want to know what the god drat hell is gonna happen already. I will totally give HBO a handjob if they wrap this poo poo up in another season or two.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I cant even imagine the Samwell arc not being the plot-anchor of the season with such high stakes such as "girlfriend meets the parents". "dad was mean to me", and "i found some crazy poo poo in this book and it happens in real life immediately in the next scene"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hope they die. I hope we all die.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

meristem posted:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13m92zm2jETuKlKNj7KVMFtO-Bmwj2HQR7N6y_wBoRWM

Summary:
- it will mostly a 'dealing with outstanding stuff' season:
-- it will close multiple hanging arcs and locations. Braavos, Meereen, the Dothraki and the Boltons, among possible others.
-- it will also introduce some outstanding AFFC/ADWD material: Euron and the Kingsmoot (Victarion is out, though), Jaime at Riverrun, a combined Septon Meribald-Elder Brother figure.
-- it will also deal with the past, via Bran's visions. In particular, Tower of Joy for certain and presumably RLJ in its entirety are included.

- plot details:
-- Jon has an arc where he convinces the Wildings to fight against the Boltons. This will culminate in E9, in a battle with, at the minimum, the Boltons, the Umbers, the Karstarks, the Mormonts, the Hornwoods, the Wildings, with the Vale forces led by Littlefinger coming up late; Ramsay will lead the Bolton forces;
-- Sansa stays in the North. According to Liam Cunningham, 'she has an amazing arc this year'. She will also in some manner participate in the Snowbowl;
-- there is a CGI-heavy scene in E10 filmed at Castle Black; speculation is, the Wall may be falling this season or the White Walker forces may be amassing there;
-- Theon returns to the Iron Islands; no idea how this relates to the Kingsmoot and especially what happens later;
-- Brienne returns to the Riverlands. Speculation is, it's she who meets Ian McShane's Septon Meribald-Elder Brother. She definitely has a scene with Jaime at Riverrun at the end of the season, though;
-- Jaime at some point has a scene where he releases Margaery from Faith prison, and then leaves King's Landing for the Riverlands;
-- Cersei, who the gently caress knows, except that, per the trailer, she 'chooses violence';
-- Sam at some point gets to Oldtown and at some point meets his family in Horn Hill;
-- Arya has an arc where she's 'broken', 'at her lowest' (speculation is, she's about to join the Faceless Men). She witnesses the Stark play from the Mercy chapter at some point. At some point, she leaves back for the Riverlands;
-- Tyrion has to deal with Meereen. This includes a widespread famine, the Harpies and the ascendant Red God faith. Yunkai makes a play - Yezzan has a scene with whatever that Yunkish from Season 3 was called. Varys leaves midseason;
-- Dany gets captured, is led to Vaes Dothrak. At some point, she has a 'very special' scene with the women there. At the end of the season, she meets Tyrion again;
-- Bran will have the aforementioned visions. No idea if anything else happens for him;
-- Dorne is in the season, but not much is known about it.

That's more or less it, I think.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

The Guest
Mar 14, 2016

-Drogon attacks at night and sets a large fire that destroys the Dothraki temple.
-Daenerys is initially treated like a prisoner, but that changes after the temple is burned. The Dothraki prostrate themselves before her (E3/E4)

Dany being handed more and more for stuff she isn't even doing herself? :hfive:

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

King of Foolians posted:

What is the deal with actors playing roles that they know nothing about?

This is how actors play most roles, since most roles don't have elaborate backstories.

They can come up with their own ideas of what the character is supposed to be like and can shoot different takes and the producers take what they want.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

The Guest posted:

Dany being handed more and more for stuff she isn't even doing herself? :hfive:

That theme is so persistent in Dany's plot you kinda have to assume it's part of the message GRRM is trying to convey with her character, there is very little Dany has personally done or came up with that led to her success and stature. It's mostly the universe\karma\magic\dragons out of nowhere or secret instructions imparted upon her through visions and telepathy. Her crowning personal achievement was basically to gently caress Drogo when she's on top, everything else was either a coincidence or someone else doing the heavy lifting.

The Guest
Mar 14, 2016

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That theme is so persistent in Dany's plot you kinda have to assume it's part of the message GRRM is trying to convey with her character, there is very little Dany has personally done or came up with that led to her success and stature. It's mostly the universe\karma\magic\dragons out of nowhere or secret instructions imparted upon her through visions and telepathy. Her crowning personal achievement was basically to gently caress Drogo when she's on top, everything else was either a coincidence or someone else doing the heavy lifting.

Alternatively they filmed a rape scene unintentionally so this could all be completely unintentional

Burning flayed man spoilers

Ramsay Bolton will be displaying at least two bodies upside down on X-crosses, burning during battle. They are known characters.

Looks like I typed a bunch o' dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Why are people using spoiler tags in the spoiler thread?

Probably Ramsay will display Roose and Fat Walda before the Wildling/Bolton battle to show that he's in charge now.

• Locked thread