Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

sirtommygunn posted:

*Sejuani dies trying to steal tier 1 mid turret 45 minutes into the game*

*Vel'koz dies keeping enemy team off idiots backing in the middle of the loving lane while we're being chased*

Sejuani: God dammit Vel'koz why are you so loving bad at this game??

Rest of team: Yeah Vel'koz what the gently caress???

Good to see this game hasn't changed in the years I've spent away from it.

Yesterday, I had a full tank Garen top try to hide behind his Tristana ADC in teamfights. Like, I would position behind the tanks like a good ADC, and he would run behind me. In every loving teamfight.

Well, the teamfights he showed up for.

"Where were you, Garen?"

"I was trying to steal Baron."

The teamfight was not at Baron.

The teamfight was never at Baron.

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Xoidanor posted:

Cleanse and Yasuo is my favourite interaction.

Back around Vi's release, bot Kog'Maw would try to QSS/Cleanse her ult if he got hit by it, resulting in him being knocked up but not dunked back down, so he'd just awkwardly float upwards while the animation completed and then zip back onto the ground and take damage.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sexpansion posted:

Is anyone else playing Kindred mid? I think it's... pretty good.

It's super annoying to lane against, but in my experience it falls of a cliff in the midgame.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Sexpansion posted:

i feel like this would struggle with any mage that can push reasonably well/safely, at least early. and then you have to spend time roaming to crabs and stuff and they'll just roam to your team and murder them

also if you thought jungle kindred telegraphed ganks, imagine when mid kindred marks another lane

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
I had a Cho silence me out of doing Sion's Q mid-cast.

Like that doesn't even make sense man. He's not yelling anything he's just raising his hammer above his head!

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Cho just counters everything. Whenever I see someone bust out the pocket Cho they usually ruin whoever they are up against. He's one of those old champ kits that it's kind of amazing they've never reworked.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Playing Cho against Riven is the best. You can just feel them itching to flash e q stun ult slam bam you, and as soon as they do it, SILENCE! NOMNOMNOM! MAXIMUM CHOGATH, then play some sik beats

E:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/leagueoflegends/images/0/00/BattleCastChogath.feastmax1.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20121127023140

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 17, 2016

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

flash is a positioning training wheel everyone assumes they'll have access to and cho can just scream it down the toilet for up to 2.5 seconds if he's in range for the nanosecond he presses the button

cho owns

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Sexpansion posted:

i think it's cool but lane kindred has some hellish match ups also

had the pleasure of watching my bud itt lane her against irelia the other day :suicide:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Lovechop posted:

i think it's cool but lane kindred has some hellish match ups also

had the pleasure of watching my bud itt lane her against irelia the other day :suicide:

I've wondered why this hasn't popped up as a counter to Corki in the pro scene, you would think it would be pretty decent and midlane Irelia has been played competitively.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i had someone pick mid irelia blind last night, which seemed bold to say the least

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
jesus just hambammed a game as bard support

got multiple people saying "bard u nasty :D"

i responded with "ootay~"

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
I'm leveling a second account to play ranked with some friends in bronze since I actually want to climb this season.

Holy poo poo summoner spells being locked behind as many levels as they are is stupid. Like I understand some tiers of unlocks just for a little less in terms of overwhelming information but you can't get flash until level 8 seriously? I guess it isn't nearly as bad now with the xp decrease for leveling new accounts but man, it is annoying.

Also, low-level players talk SO MUCH. It isn't even like bm shitlords either, it is just constant typing from both sides. It is so bizarre.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Radical posted:

i had someone pick mid irelia blind last night, which seemed bold to say the least

Yeah, that's pretty much a counterpick only.

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Holy poo poo summoner spells being locked behind as many levels as they are is stupid. Like I understand some tiers of unlocks just for a little less in terms of overwhelming information but you can't get flash until level 8 seriously? I guess it isn't nearly as bad now with the xp decrease for leveling new accounts but man, it is annoying.

It's so dumb. The new player experience for LoL is horrible.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Leveling a summoner is so dumb, you're either stuck playing with toxic bronze players who think this time they can get placed in their TRUE ELO.

Or you get placed immediately in smurf island which sometimes means playing against people in Platinum while you're still in level 20 giving you a huge disadvantage.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Leveling a summoner is so dumb, you're either stuck playing with toxic bronze players who think this time they can get placed in their TRUE ELO.

Or you get placed immediately in smurf island which sometimes means playing against people in Platinum while you're still in level 20 giving you a huge disadvantage.

Me and two friends made new accounts so we could help a 4th friend, who's brand new, learn the ropes.

Our very first game of draft pick I went mid Morde (because, smurfing) and I played against a clear brand main also smurfing. Guy knew how to abuse my range, flash comboed multiple times and roamed at a gold+ level.

This was at as "low" of a new player elo you could theoretically be. Zero games played. That new friend no longer plays anymore

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Primetime posted:

Me and two friends made new accounts so we could help a 4th friend, who's brand new, learn the ropes.

Our very first game of draft pick I went mid Morde (because, smurfing) and I played against a clear brand main also smurfing. Guy knew how to abuse my range, flash comboed multiple times and roamed at a gold+ level.

This was at as "low" of a new player elo you could theoretically be. Zero games played. That new friend no longer plays anymore

I'd disagree, you pretty much have to be negative by quite a few games in order to be up against people that are bad and/or new. Much like placements in ranked, normals also have some amount of games that have to be won/lost before you're placed against other bads or smurfs. The only thing a brand new account means is that there's no data on you, and you can't be placed appropriately.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Safety Scissors posted:

I'd disagree, you pretty much have to be negative by quite a few games in order to be up against people that are bad and/or new. Much like placements in ranked, normals also have some amount of games that have to be won/lost before you're placed against other bads or smurfs. The only thing a brand new account means is that there's no data on you, and you can't be placed appropriately.
But everyone in this game is constantly making smurfs and there's a lot more long-time players at level 1 now than there are new players. It's incredibly hard to get into now.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Safety Scissors posted:

While its a good point, that just means it's even more of an issue.

Assuming I'm a fresh level 3 or whatever the minimum for PvP is, if my first game ever was me getting dumpstered by that brand mid I'd probably have quit too. I could obviously tell he was smurfing and I got over it knowing I purposely played a sub-par champ.

But if I went 0-15 playing Janna mid because I literally had no idea what Janna, or mid, meant I'd hate it

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I was under the impression that if you were truly new you get sorted into a pool of new players pretty quickly while smurfs got sorted into a separate one? I always figured it was based on CSing, wards bought, item efficiency, etc.

Thinking about that now though, they might as well just put all new players in bronze 5.

I also can't imagine that League is actually growing much, if at all anymore. Unless poor Middle Eastern or South American refugees who have never had a computer or internet access are starting to play, who hasn't been exposed yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schiavona posted:

I was under the impression that if you were truly new you get sorted into a pool of new players pretty quickly while smurfs got sorted into a separate one? I always figured it was based on CSing, wards bought, item efficiency, etc.

Thinking about that now though, they might as well just put all new players in bronze 5.

I also can't imagine that League is actually growing much, if at all anymore. Unless poor Middle Eastern or South American refugees who have never had a computer or internet access are starting to play, who hasn't been exposed yet?

As long as a game is popular it will continue to be exposed to new players regularly. How many of them stick around is a bigger question.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the new player experience in league is pretty meh overall, they just try to funnel them into bot games. the current tutorial is more or less unchanged since season 1 im pretty sure.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Schiavona posted:

That assumes that there aren't people who will alternate between stomping and trolling to keep themselves artificially low. That and it also assumes that somebody will get thoroughly crushed ten games in a row and keep playing.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
How many new players are jumping right into PVP at level 3? When I was starting out, I stuck with bot games until like level 8 or something. I have a friend who just started playing league, and he's up to like level 15 and hasn't set foot in PVP because...well, frankly, I have no idea why he's still playing bots at level 15.

When I jumped into pvp games, though, I was definitely being matched up against people of around my skill level.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
I've always wondered how such a high skill cap game became one of the most popular but I figure it's because stupid spergs (like me) have other spergy friends that drag them along until they figure it out and have fun. I think it only takes like 7 bot games or something before you can play pvp so I would be surprised if they did any skill-intelligence gathering for pvp there (and if they did it would be easy to fool).

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

As soon as you click PvP for the first time a big fuckoff red warning sign should pop up on your screen and say:

"YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. A LOT. "

To prepare all of these sensitive new players for the game they are about to play.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It was probably a combination of the marketing and being a (comparatively) visually impressive game that was free in the age where free games were basically either Korean MMOs or flash games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LoL has a high skill cap but the basic visual design is strong enough that it is easy to watch and it got big right about the time Twitch was taking off. It's similar to fighting games in that you may not grasp the full mechanics behind it but they're intuitive enough that you can grasp when someone is playing well just by watching, even if you don't fully understand why.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Immediately got placed in Plat 3 (was Diamond 5 last season) and got straight into my Plat 2 promos and had a 65% win rate. Then I started losing. Now I have a 38% win rate and I'm in Plat 4 60 LP.

What the gently caress is going on

Why can't I win games

Am I really this bad

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

matches have felt pretty uneven to me since the start of the new season, i dont know if the aggressive rank compression or the new matchmaking is the reason though.

i get really fed every game though so im always having fun at least.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
goddamn i just carried a game from the support position

my team was pretty good in teamfights, and got better once yasuo hit his brick wall, but they had the strangest quality of timidness to the tanks

thankfully my adc and i were not timid and we stomped our lane

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That assumes that there aren't people who will alternate between stomping and trolling to keep themselves artificially low. That and it also assumes that somebody will get thoroughly crushed ten games in a row and keep playing.

Yeah the "get crushed 10 times" is a pretty huge barrier to retaining players. From my time leveling smurfs, there also is a pretty consistent influx of people who get banned, make a new account, and get banned or temp banned quickly enough a second time that they rotate through. Toxic and stompy games is a bad recipe for a newbie experience.

Imo aram is the best way to level accounts, but at low levels there are a bunch of bots and that still doesn't really help a new player transition to Summonerds rift.

Fake edit: I think I'm keeping the typo it seems more accurate

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

AHH FUGH posted:

Immediately got placed in Plat 3 (was Diamond 5 last season) and got straight into my Plat 2 promos and had a 65% win rate. Then I started losing. Now I have a 38% win rate and I'm in Plat 4 60 LP.

Why can't I win games

Am I really this bad

Losing streaks will happen statistically no matter how good you are (unless you are like an LCS level player). I lost like five games in a row in Bronze III right after doing placements, it doesn't mean I'm bronze III bad, they were just nearly unwinnable games.

e: I am clearly silver bad not bronze bad

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Radical posted:

matches have felt pretty uneven to me since the start of the new season, i dont know if the aggressive rank compression or the new matchmaking is the reason though.

i get really fed every game though so im always having fun at least.

I genuinely think there's a new play style involved because it took me a while to start winning again this season.

Games seem to be less about slowly taking down objectives and requiring an ace or everyone being level 18 to push to finish.

It feels like more of a stand-off situation once you get past 25 minutes, where the first team to get a pick or go 2-0 in a fight can pressure to finish. Staying alive end game just seems more important than ever since every mistake can essentially be a game ender

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

AHH FUGH posted:

Why can't I win games

Am I really this bad

Sexpansion posted:

Losing streaks will happen statistically no matter how good you are (unless you are like an LCS level player). I lost like five games in a row in Bronze III right after doing placements, it doesn't mean I'm bronze III bad, they were just nearly unwinnable games.

e: I am clearly silver bad not bronze bad

Yeah, after two straight seasons in Gold 5 (worked my way up from Silver 1 in one of them, then placed directly into Gold 5 last season) I got placed into Silver 3 and dragged down to Silver 5 before I managed to check my plummet. I'm currently in Silver 4 with like 97 LP but I've gotten trolled out of two Silver 3 promo series so far.

I won't deny that there have been a handful of games where I've gotten matched way out of my league (so to speak) and been the proximate cause or a major contributing factor to my team's loss, but they're far outweighed by the games where I was just helpless to stop my teammates from melting down.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah like all the good winrate heroes right now either take objectives quickly and/or have a way to initiate for a pick

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I just have no idea how to win these games. I'm not tilting or raging at all, I'm warding, I'm positioning decently and I can only find a few things every game I can impove on (ie should flash that Gragas ult or something) but every game my team gets stomped, not just me.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i lost like 30 games in a row at one point because that was happening, i followed it up with a 30 game winning streak

unlucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sometimes you just can't win games. You can pay attention to the mistakes you made and you should never assume you're playing flawless but you will lose games and it is effectively outside of your control assuming you're not stomping dudes way below your level.

The key in that situation is to figure out what you can do when you're behind and try it. If you're getting stomped in teamfights try to split, if you're losing objectives then try to trade objectives instead of just losing them, search for picks and see if you can snowball that into a win. At worst you lose anyway. The key is not to keep trying a losing strategy.

• Locked thread