Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Maybe it's just me but it seems like all the constructed-playable green creatures lately are more about not costing you a card than being big and efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I agree, but at the cost of a land slot you get another line of play that gives you options.

Yeah. The mana for BW is good enough that you aren't really giving up much by including say 2 in your deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

Maybe it's just me but it seems like all the constructed-playable green creatures lately are more about not costing you a card than being big and efficient.

This is how most constructed playable creatures tend to work in decks that aren't aggro.

Thragtusk's 5 power was great but that wasn't what made it dominant.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Borin' Lord of Innistrad

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I like that the flavor text describes R&D's stance towards this card in Modern

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I like that the flavor text describes R&D's stance towards this card in Modern

Nothing because a Seething Song that makes you skip your previous turn is pretty bad.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I feel like if you play this turn 2 in the Faith's Reward/Open the Vaults deck you are probably going off turn 3. It's a bit like a second copy of Tinker for Black Lotus.

e: it's worse of course but I think it may be close enough

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 17, 2016

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
It also filters, so I guess it's not terrible if you really need to turn your other mana red.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DarkRider09 posted:

It also filters, so I guess it's not terrible if you really need to turn your other mana red.

it's really bad if you're not comboing with it

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Entropic posted:

Of all the dumb things they're trying to do with Standard "Llanowar Elves is too good" is the one that annoys me the most.
It's not really that surprising, given that the green creatures in standard are Siege Rhino and friends, whereas kill spells and counterspells feature stuff like Scatter to the Wind, Ruinous path, etc.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It is a good card in both legacy and modern, I don't see why the idea of it being too good to be evergreen is absurd

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bonus posted:

It's not really that surprising, given that the green creatures in standard are Siege Rhino and friends, whereas kill spells and counterspells feature stuff like Scatter to the Wind, Ruinous path, etc.

Rotates out in April. This was literally the perfect time to reintroduce these sorts of things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I personally like how not only is a 1 cmc mana dork too good for standard, the 2 cmc mana dorks are showing up as rare.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Part of vessel's purpose is probably just enabling delirium, and probably just in limited.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah they're probably doing a bunch of low rarity 'seals' to help enable delirium in limited.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Holy crap, my brain completely filtered out the expansion symbol on that mana dork and just assumed that it had to be common or uncommon. That is so bad.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It looks like Vessel may be part of a cycle similar to Font of Fortunes & the like

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

JerryLee posted:

Holy crap, my brain completely filtered out the expansion symbol on that mana dork and just assumed that it had to be common or uncommon. That is so bad.

A 2/1 mana dork with deathtouch would be too powerful at rare, better ad delirium clause.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

A 2/1 mana dork with deathtouch would be too powerful at rare, better ad delirium clause.

Considering how sexy Rattleclaw Mystic is already, without any combat keywords?

Probably.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Sickening posted:

Isn't it the stated goalof wotc to turn standard into kitchen table magic?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Deathtouch seems like a good thing for a manadork to have in the lategame.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Part of vessel's purpose is probably just enabling delirium, and probably just in limited.

Agreed, but it's still a really bad card for that.

Historically putting yourself down a card for little/no value other than enabling your synergy cards is not a winning move.

See also: Bonesaw

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I'm the guy losing my poo poo about a card that unbalances limited at rare.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

little munchkin posted:

Agreed, but it's still a really bad card for that.

Historically putting yourself down a card for little/no value other than enabling your synergy cards is not a winning move.

See also: Bonesaw

except Bonesaw has been demonstrated to be the glue holding the current draft environment together, so

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It is a good card in both legacy and modern, I don't see why the idea of it being too good to be evergreen is absurd

I think you'd have a hard time arguing that llanowar elves is or ever will be too good for standard. About the most you could say is that they don't fit in with what wizards wants the format to be about, which is a very different thing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Why? It's a good card even in much more powerful formats, it's basically always played when legal and having it on turn 1 massively raises your win percentage.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Panderfringe posted:

When I think of what suits kitchen table players, I do not think "make the format's staple mana dork a rare"

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Man I hope we get a lingering souls reprint. I'd really love to run Ayli and Sorin in an Orzhov Tokens deck with that new vindicate

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Rotates out in April. This was literally the perfect time to reintroduce these sorts of things.
That's true, but I was referring to the trend of green creatures getting better and more efficient with time, whereas things that keep them in check keep getting worse (kill spells, counterspells, burn spells, wraths). Llanowar Elves seems to me like it's on another power level from Cancel with upside and similar cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

When I think of what suits kitchen table players, I do not think "make the format's staple mana dork a rare"

Why not? It sells packs. It's actually v appropriate, similar to when Garfield thought having black lotus at rare meant people wouldn't see it often. It's literally the vision.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Chill la Chill posted:

Why not? It sells packs. It's actually v appropriate, similar to when Garfield thought having black lotus at rare meant people wouldn't see it often. It's literally the vision.

Does it? I'm not so sure that the players who crack packs will be too excited that their rare is a 2/1 that taps for mana when their friend just cracked a planeswalker.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's Garfield's Vision. You dont want to impose on his great Vision do you?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Entropic posted:

Of all the dumb things they're trying to do with Standard "Llanowar Elves is too good" is the one that annoys me the most.

Between this, etbt lands and no one mana filter/cantrips, I think they are trying to eliminate all turn one plays besides a goblin or similar.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Sharzak posted:

Man I hope we get a lingering souls reprint. I'd really love to run Ayli and Sorin in an Orzhov Tokens deck with that new vindicate

Flashback isn't in this set

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Flashback isn't in this set

My dream is that it exists in eldritch moon

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They haven't announced cool paper hats or candy for the prerelease and you buffoons are excited about getting planes walkers? :psyduck:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Panderfringe posted:

How the gently caress does this work

Got a source on this?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

They haven't announced cool paper hats or candy for the prerelease and you buffoons are excited about getting planes walkers? :psyduck:

well the prerelease is in april so

unless they're doing it for purim

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 17, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Sorin doesn't seem like he gets there. I mean, he's technically harder to cast than Elspeth or Chandra and worse than either one because he doesn't really bring you back when you are losing. I don't know. I'm reminded a lot of Garruk, Apex Predator. I just think he's too expensive for what he does. I just feel like the situation he is good in is the same situation that Linvala is good in and Linvala doesn't do anything in constructed.

I just don't think his potential to affect the board is significant enough for 6 mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Bread Set Jettison posted:

My dream is that it exists in eldritch moon

It will because we'll flashback to Zendikar (REMEMBER THAT PLANE!?!) where Maro will come out on stage, reveal the new % mana symbol, another set of expeditions reprinting cards that no one plays, a new Emrakul cast for blue/black mana, and talk about how adding colored mana to the Eldrazi was both a great flavor and design decision. Timmies love opening Eldrazi we need to print MORE!

• Locked thread