Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

suboptimal posted:

Also, I got my REI dividend :getin:. Any good recommendations for a lightweight and compact sleeping bag, preferably rated to around 20 degrees F?

What's your budget? What kind of lightweight are you looking for? Are you looking for down or synthetic?

I got my dividend and it only came out to $25. I don't tend to spend a lot at REI anymore due to having an adequate amount of gear that will hold me over for a while at least until I get into rock climbing or something. What I do buy at REI tends to be on sale/non-dividendable.

I do see some mountaineering stuff my distant future though and lord only knows how that could add up.

An update on my weekend of Nikwaxing.

I've had mixed results with nikwax in the past, never living up to its reputation. This time I tried putting the wash-in liquid through the fabric softener slot rather than the detergent slot on my washing machine. I only attempted 2-3 garments at a time and ran things through the dryer for a short time. That worked like a charm. Not sure if the secret was to add some through the fabric softener slot but everything I put in came out beading water like new, even things that didn't have a great DWR before now hold puddles of water for minutes at a time without soaking like my softshell and puffy down vest. The spray on stuff didn't seem to take though so I'll have to redo my rain shell and ski jacket.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Cool. Report back in a while, I'm curious to see if it holds up.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea, that is good to hear.

Am I a huge dick if I do this at a laundromat? How about if I run an empty load full of soap after?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I should point out though, my fabric softener reservoir holds maybe 4-5 oz of fluid. I put 3oz per garment in, so with 3 garments, it would be 9oz at a time. I would fill the fabric softener reservoir to the "MAX" level, then pour the rest in the regular detergent location. My thinking was that detergent is meant to be washed through and rinsed clean whereas the fabric softener is meant to be slightly left behind. My machine also had the option to freshwater rinse which I imagine is pretty self explanatory. I chose to turn that off in order to keep as much Nikwax in the clothing as possible.

And this was all on a home front load machine with the detergent slide out type drawer. Not sure how it works on older machines or top load.

As for doing it in a laundromat ... I dont see why. I switched over to regular laundry immediately after without a problem. Regular clothes didn't smell like nikwax, had no white residue or anything. Its a waterbased solution and it seems like traditional detergent renders it pretty useless so you would probably be fine. If you're super worried, maybe bring a load of socks or something to run after you nikwax everything.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 16, 2016

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

So, I've got a story to tell about how assumption is the mother of all fuckups and peer pressure is a bitch and knowing when to quit is important and endangering your kids lives is stupid.

Last weekend, my family went on a trip to the Ardennes with a group of 30 ex-scouts. One of the planned activities was a 4 hour hike and we were told that we should bring a child carrier backpack. Now, our oldest (hereafter M) is 2.5 years old and about 35lbs. Putting her in a backpack isn't really an option anymore so we brought along our big-wheel stroller. We bought a second-hand child carrier for our 13-month old (hereafter H), can't find the specific model but it's similar to the Jack Wolfskin Watchtower and what have you.

We left the house a couple hours late. I was carrying H, my g/f was pushing M in the stroller. We left the paved road onto a fairly steep and narrow path, a couple inches of refrozen snow. Stroller wasn't an option but M has two legs so we had someone pull the stroller while my g/f held M's hand. After that ascent, we reached a flat path, put M back in the stroller and continued on, pulling it with two people. It had already dawned on me that this might have been a mistake, but surrounded by a large group of scouts with a can-do attitude, I gave in to (partially implied, partially outspoken) peer pressure and didn't call for an abort.

Trail conditions gradually improved and I was glad I hadn't aborted. After about an hour, we reached a pick nick table and had a little break. I took H out of her carrier so she could get some blood circulating in her legs (heeding the warning on the carrier), M ate a little sandwich, my morale was high. Until the guy with the map said that we'd have to go up that there incline. About as steep as stairs, rocky, and covered in snow slush. I asked if we could take an alternate route, but the guy was fairly oblivious to my concerns ("Yeah, we could take the gravel road, but this path is so much nicer!'). Again, I didn't want to admit defeat so we devised a plan.

H in the carrier on my g/f, M on my shoulders, stroller in 2 parts, carried by other people. Going up I had a couple of near-misses on the slushy snow, don't want to imagine what would have happened if I'd slipped, what with the needing my two hands to hold M's legs and the high center of mass that you get from putting a kid on your shoulders. There was one really scary spot that had a steep drop on the side, luckily my brother in law offered to be human handrail.

We reached the top unscathed, but I really had had enough by now. Consulted the map guy for a way back to the house, he vaguely pointed out our current position and told us we had passed the worst part. Next up: wooden bridges, about 1 foot wide, caked in frozen snow. Awesome! Luckily, M was being a trooper and we shuffled our way across, she in front and me bending over and holding her two hands.

By that time, the youngest in the group (4 months) needed a feeding so my brother in law and his g/f split off to go back to the house. I jumped on the opportunity, reclaimed the stroller from the helpful people who carried it since the pick nick and continued on with the following configuration: 4 people carrying 3 kids and 2 awkward pieces of stroller in unsuitable terrain. Biggest hurdle was another bridge with frozen snow on top, 2 feet deep ice-cold water on each side. Took us a while to cross that and it was still horribly dangerous. If I'd have to estimate, I'm certain that if you do that crossing 10 times, you'll dunk one of the kids at least once. It's all fun and games until you're stuck miles out with a hypothermic baby and no cell phone coverage.

There were also lots of trails with deep mud covered in a thick layer of snow so I had to carry M a lot. I had tears in my eyes from straining my arm. My g/f fell on her butt once, nearly crushing H in the process.

Anyway, we got home unscathed and after I took a shower we got a phone-call: they were half-way and the people with kids wanted a ride home.

Bottom line is I was being irresponsible by giving in to peer pressure, and I feel awful about putting the kids in danger. But I'm also mad at the guys who organized this. They didn't inform us about the terrain, they didn't offer any understanding for our concerns before and during the hike, kept spurring us on by giving misleading information. There's a thin line between adventurous and stupid, and they made us cross it.

theroachman fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 17, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
In my experience boy scouts are often terribly prepared to deal with poo poo properly and make all kinds of mistakes, but that is largely due to getting caught on the wrong side of a flash flood while hiking in southern utah because all of the scout leaders were like "nah it's no big deal we don't need to listen to this person warning us about flash floods further up the drainage area"

That said, yeah that sounds like an unfun and not very well thought out plan by those people

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I don't want to be insensitive but in those situations you have to speak your mind. Anyone who gets mad at you for saying "No, I don't care if the paths nicer, you knew there'd be toddlers, we need to take the safer path and not risk out childrens lives" is a complete rear end in a top hat. The reasonable people in the group would support not risking putting literal babies in danger even if they don't speak up at first either.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm taking my kids into the backcountry as soon as they're old enough to ride in a backpack carrier, just like my parents did. And when they get old enough by god they're going to walk and dont' give me any of this "too young" bullshit

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I don't want to be insensitive but in those situations you have to speak your mind. Anyone who gets mad at you for saying "No, I don't care if the paths nicer, you knew there'd be toddlers, we need to take the safer path and not risk out childrens lives" is a complete rear end in a top hat. The reasonable people in the group would support not risking putting literal babies in danger even if they don't speak up at first either.

My personality makes it very hard for me to go against a group of 20+ people who seem to be fine with going ahead. That said, you can be drat sure I will never let this happen again.

Levitate posted:

I'm taking my kids into the backcountry as soon as they're old enough to ride in a backpack carrier, just like my parents did. And when they get old enough by god they're going to walk and don't' give me any of this "too young" bullshit

Oh you're absolutely right. As long as you can gauge their abilities correctly and take enough of a margin, you can do this safely.

I must say I'm super super proud of M. I think she sort of clued in on the fact that we were in over our heads and she needed to walk as much as possible. This is a kid that wants to be picked up to go from the couch to the kitchen, yet she hiked like a champ out there.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah groupthink is dangerous. But hey you got out alive and learned a really good lesson. Know when to call it quits.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm all for taking children out into the outdoors and giving them new, great experiences. But as you said, there is a 'stupid' line which you cannot cross. I'm really not one of those "but think of the children!!1!" people, but seriously. It sucks, but there are some times you just shouldn't take kids on the trail. Winter is one of them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Reminds me of the time I was at a local waterfall that ices up and is a popular spot to scramble up and climb. Some dude was with his 2 year old riding his shoulders, in zero traction tennis shoes trying to climb up. People were yelling and pleading with him to stop after he almost biffed it and him and his kid nearly fell 20 feet. The kid was crying after the first tumble, and that with the people yelling at him just made the guy want to go ahead even more.

It wasnt until someone yelled that they were recording video of this for the child endangerment case against him and calling the police that he finally relented and started climbing back down. Of course by this point he was all amped up and shakey and he needed help the last few bits of the way down to get off safely. He eventually had to hand his kid to someone to get it down safely. What a loving idiot that guy was.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I hiked up Yosemite when I was 4. Granted we had a short stop when I complained my heart hurt but whatever i was fine.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Up Yosemite what? Like, the falls? Doesn't that go down, then back up?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea up the falls. I really need to go again because I doubt 4 year old me really appreciated it enough

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
If anyone else was looking for a Patagonia Field Shorts alternative that aren't like $45 a pair, throwing out a random recommendation for FiveUltimate Triton shorts. They're a lot more affordable for single orders and the same price for bulk orders, and very comparable if you're looking for thin, minimalist shorts to hike in.

Now if only I could find decent looking tech button up shirts that aren't cut to cover up a beer gut...

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 17, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

If anyone else was looking for a Patagonia Field Shorts alternative that aren't like $45 a pair, throwing out a random recommendation for FiveUltimate Triton shorts. They're a lot more affordable for single orders and the same price for bulk orders, and very comparable if you're looking for thin, minimalist shorts to hike in.

Now if only I could find decent looking tech button up shirts that aren't cut to cover up a beer gut...

I have a Columbia Silver Ridge button up in plaid that actually looks pretty decent even if it's still more boxy than I'd like (and I have real trouble finding shirts that are cut slim enough to not look boxy on me) I'm probably going to try going with a "base layer" style shirt this season though and see how that goes. Button ups still feel a little bit too much fabric sometimes

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I still have a little beer gut that I will always treasure to show off how much fun I have drinking beer. My problem is finding tech shirts that fit my very broad chest but aren't like twice as long as I need them to be.

I asked in the men's fashion thread, and while they were very helpful in showing me a bunch thongs and other dick-pants I could buy, I thought I would ask here. I'm looking for some tech-ish hiking shorts with a very short Inseam, I'm talking like 7 to 6 inches. I still want two rear and two hand pockets, so that puts most running shorts out of the running.

Also, I'm probably going to buy those dumb arcteryx boots. I was supposed to go on an overnight trip this weekend, but my boss made sad puppy dog eyes at me and now I'm working on Sunday. I might as well spend the money on some stupid shoes I guess.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I don't know that I've ever been part of a group hike where someone didn't get injured. Seems like it should be a tagline for GeorgeDonner.com, but it's the sad reality. People become so distracted that they don't notice immediate concerns or the development of chronic situations with the usual advanced notice, so they go unmitigated. Even in a party of two, I've asked several times if the buddy is okay, wants poles, etcetera, only to find out a week later that they've set an appointment with the doctor.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups (2 or more, I guess). It doesn't even have to be peer pressure or machismo; I may know I can hike back a 6mi route, but without experience a group member may not realize until mile eight that they can go no farther... and then what do you do? People think they'll be fine if they just reach the summit... and then it turns out that descending is slippery because of afternoon heating. Literal "stupid", lack of intelligence about one's own skill level. Not to mention people that behave idiotically.

Good that the kids made it without injury. Feel free to read some trip reports online before you go, and see how many of them are people learning lessons, crawling back toward the parking lot an hour after dark, "we could have made it to X if Y, Z", we should have turned around when we ran out of W, and so forth.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Yeah, the way it was explained to me was that people often get hurt on the no-difficulty stuff because they aren't paying attention. Hard to not pay attention while scrambling.

Did our snow hike with WTC and it had lows and, well, higher lows. Snowshoeing lessons were fine, but it's not like they were watching our form or anything. I didn't fall, so I guess I passed. The hike was light and short enough with long breaks where I don't feel like I got any actual exercise, so that was kinda lame.

Snow camp in 3 weeks, which I'm hoping has the class end on a high note. Now I'm looking at the led trips that count towards our "graduation" but it seems pretty difficult to estimate the demographics of the groups. I'd prefer not to have my first out-of-class backcountry backpacking trip be with people I generally don't like. And as a goon, I generally don't like most people.

Edit: Two things

1 - Stretchy schoeller softshell pants are loving awesome. Easily the best thing I've bought in a long time.

2 - How do you minimize fogging up your glacier glasses when wearing a balaclava? Mouth breathing is just going to leave my mouth and throat dry, so is it really the best option? To note, I have a light fleece balaclava and the cheapy Julbo glasses from Amazon. I think they actually provide less protection than my Native Hardtop XPs.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 18, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I think probably the worst I saw was during berry season at Moraine Lake when the have mandatory minimum groups of 4 on any trail that isn't the shoreline because there is a high concentration of grizzlies in the area trying to plump up for winter. We were headed down Consolation Lakes trail when this toddler came running up the trail alone. His dad was silently walking about 100 feet behind him, completely out of sight because of the trees. That kid would have been an easy and tasty snack if things went wrong. This is the area where bear 122 hangs out, by the way.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
To be fair, dad would also be a snack for 122.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

In the 40s and rain is falling on the tent. I'm warm and dry in here with the dogs.

gently caress yeah.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Levitate posted:

I just use one pole because I'm a freak.

That's good to hear. I once got a snide remark from a hiker when I was using just one pole, that I was "choosing to hike on one foot." Last year I ended up breaking my single trekking pole (for reasons other than it being inefficient, I swear!) so I'm currently looking to buy a pair and trying out two so I can compare it with my experience using one.

Using trekking poles for the first time, either way, is like using dual monitor screens at work - you wonder how the hell you even went without them. And I'm past due getting a great pair. Will Wood aka "Redbeard", the thru-hike Youtube guy, posted some reviews of Leki trekking poles (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zn6C6fS6Oc) which are the ones I'll probably get. Unless someone here has something bad to say about them.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
1 pole is handy for stability and moving through obstacles, but it's nothing compared to 2 used properly.

I don't see anything wrong with those leki poles, but their page won't load for me so I only looked at what's sold on amazon. Looks like they're available in a wide range of configurations which is nice. Aluminum + 3 fold tent pole style + cork grips is my dream combo personally.

Wonder if I can hack some cork grips on my eva foam handled black diamond z poles. I've never liked the foam, and they've gotten chewed up by puppies a few times..

Levitate posted:

I have a Columbia Silver Ridge button up in plaid that actually looks pretty decent even if it's still more boxy than I'd like (and I have real trouble finding shirts that are cut slim enough to not look boxy on me) I'm probably going to try going with a "base layer" style shirt this season though and see how that goes. Button ups still feel a little bit too much fabric sometimes

I'll have to check them out, they're really vague about the measurments online. I guess as long as I can find a decent fit in the shoulders I could just have it tailored. REI had some good looking tech button ups too, but they ruined it with a dorky arm pocket thing I'd never use. Sucks because I was really feeling some of the colors.

I don't plan on actually wearing a button up when I go out hiking, rather just something to wear casually when I'm at risk of spontaneous adventure. It rains most of the year here and cotton sucks if I'm not indoors all day. Merino isn't a bad option, but I'd really like to find something synthetic that looks half decent.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 20, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Why the hell are cirques and cols called summits sometimes? I'm headed for a place called "Bow Summit" tomorrow for an avalanche skills course and was thinking it was going to be up on Bow Peak when in fact it's a 230m hike up into the bottom of a cirque on a completely different mountain.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Is bringing a "nice" camera along on a backpacking trip considered kinda stupid? I guess phone cameras are good enough at this point so that backpackers use those, although in my case I have a camera that would take even better pictures. Just not sure if it's uncommon because it's dumb / adds too much weight / too delicate for rugged wilderness or not uncommon because fully grown adults can be cautious and not complain about extra weight.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Haven't seen this posted: I Can't Stop Reading One-Star Yelp Reviews of National Parks

Yosemite:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

To be fair, parking in Yosemite valley is poo poo

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I haven't been to Yosemite in eleven years, so what's this about a $150 tram? When I was there, you just parked anywhere and hopped on the bus whenever you liked to get anywhere in the Valley, no extra charge.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Time Cowboy posted:

I haven't been to Yosemite in eleven years, so what's this about a $150 tram? When I was there, you just parked anywhere and hopped on the bus whenever you liked to get anywhere in the Valley, no extra charge.

Possibly the valley floor tour. But it's not that expensive so I've no idea what he's talking about. The transit bus system is free, unless you go to Toulumne on the hiker bus, which was $10 last time I was there.

That article is awesome. Obviously those people have no idea how to plan a trip properly, and paid for it with bad visits.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Just seconding the Leki pole recommendation. Haven't used mine in years (still young 'n spry, haven't done anything intense enough / have the right conditions to merit them), but they're freaking great.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Is bringing a "nice" camera along on a backpacking trip considered kinda stupid? I guess phone cameras are good enough at this point so that backpackers use those, although in my case I have a camera that would take even better pictures. Just not sure if it's uncommon because it's dumb / adds too much weight / too delicate for rugged wilderness or not uncommon because fully grown adults can be cautious and not complain about extra weight.

It's all up to you. Plenty of people do it but one thing is certain it will add more weight to your pack quickly. Dslr, batteries, lenses, tripod can easily add 5 lbs or more. Also make sure you have a way of storing it that's waterproof. Ziplocks, waterproof bags etc.

One of the reasons I've stopped carrying a dslr is the bulk, another is the awkwardness of carrying it. In order to use it quickly, you want it accessible. They make some cool harnesses to prevent it from flopping around. They also make front bags to store it in so that you don't have to stop and dog through your bag every time you want a photo.

For backpacking anyway, I've recently switched from big full size dslrs to high performance point and shoots. I have a Sony rx100ii and it's great. Wide angle, zoom, manual focus and controls, shots raw, and most of all it takes great photos. Also I can put it in my pocket or a shoulder strap pouch for quick access.

I think mirrorless is another great option as they can be more compact than traditional cameras. Just be sure to bring extra memory cards and batteries. The cold at night can drain the charge so keep somewhere near your body if it gets cold.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I just wish you could take sweet rear end night shots with a phone camera, that's the only thing I really miss. Sure they're not as good as a nice rear end camera but honestly they're better than the stuff I grew up with and are even lighter

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
We went out hiking along a creek for about 11 hours yesterday, it was low 40s-high=30s, rain ranged from a light mist to medium downpour, and by the end was snowing these huge fuckin wet snowflakes that you could feel hit your head through a hat and hood. I caught two trout (on bass lures!) and ruined my hands, they were so cold at one point that I couldn't unzip my pockets by myself.

After about 6-7 hours my rain coat wet out pretty badly. I ended up getting a ton of water inside through the pockets, just from sticking my wet hands in there. They have a mesh inner liner to help them breath but it sucks for fishing. It's a shame as I love the jacket and am otherwise perfectly happy with it. Looking for any imput/recommendations for a jacket as close to the Marmot Artemis, but with pockets sealed from the body of the jacket.

I also need some rain pants that have the following feature set:

1) A fuckin zippered fly. I drink a lot of water and a lot of coffee, I like to pee on the reg.

2)Zip up legs. I want a real easy on/off without taking my boots off and without sitting down.

3)Pockets. I have a ton of stuff I like to keep handy and I need pockets.

I have a pair of decent kayaking pants that I use now but it has none of this stuff and it is killing me.

On the good side, my sock plan was on point. I used poly liners under insulated waterproof light socks and some old NF boots with suspect WP ability. My feet stayed warm all the way up to the last hour and my boots were soaked the entire time. One foot overtopped for like 5 seconds but my sock liner was barely damp when I got back to the car. The socks have an elastic top and it loving rules.

All in all, rain hikes rule, we didn't see another person the entire time and I found some great new fishing spots.

I didn't take any pictures, but here is a trout. They stock them like 2-3 miles downstream from where I caught him. I didn't know they stocked this creek, I was after smallmouth, sorry Mr Trout, I really wish I had a net with me! It surprised the poo poo out of me when I got up to the top.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I always bring a Nikon DSLR with two lenses and a GoPro with a few different mounts. I used to bring a tripod too but now I leave my current one at home because it's ridiculously huge. I take my camera almost everywhere. Weight vs reward is a nobrainer for me. Taking nice pictures is a thing I need in my life and I would be full of so much regret if I didnt have it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm currently looking to buy a pair and trying out two so I can compare it with my experience using one.

Unless someone here has something bad to say about them.

Not something bad persay, but have you ever looked at costco's carbon fiber hiking poles? They're cheaper in store if you have one nearby that carries them, but these things are ridiculously light, quick and easy to adjust, and really cheap to boot. The cork handle is starting to disintegrate on mine after a few years, but it's otherwise been a solid pole.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
That's funny you mention that. I've been looking for these poles for a while after hearing about them and never found em. They're on Amazon for $45-50.

We went to costco today and they must have just showed up. They were $30 with two sets of baskets and 2 sets of rubber tips. Surprisingly light weight and decent for the money. I'm not sure I'll use them at ton but for $30 I'll give it a try.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Question about canister stoves... I currently use an alcohol stove, but I've been thinking of trying something different. Last time I went out, someone had one of these 12$ Chinese titanium dealies, and it seemed pretty nice. Should I go ahead and spring for one of them, or does anyone have any other canister stove recommendations? I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for something better.

Also, are jetboil pots with the heat fins the way to go, or does anyone make something similar I should be looking into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Not something bad persay, but have you ever looked at costco's carbon fiber hiking poles? They're cheaper in store if you have one nearby that carries them, but these things are ridiculously light, quick and easy to adjust, and really cheap to boot. The cork handle is starting to disintegrate on mine after a few years, but it's otherwise been a solid pole.

I remember these were brought up before here, thanks for the reminder. I live near a Costco and will look for them at some point. Their four and half star average on Amazon is reassuring. Otherwise I'll use my REI 20% coupon on the Leki ones.

One thing I've noticed: "great poles for the price." Anyone know what makes them inferior to $150-$200 ones? just wondering.