Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
People warned me that Phantom Breaker's bosses were a difficulty wall and that you needed to grind to be able to beat them and it killed the game, and I understand their grievances in that regard. But in playing it for myself, it turns out the game's manual should probably just say "it's Guilty Gear, if you don't know how to play Guilty Gear, go learn that". The game includes a gatling combo system, guard gauges, faultless defense, burst triggers, just defends, etc, all stuff you need to know to handle the bosses. It just doesn't really make that very clear.

It's a surprisingly good game, if you can jive with fighting game mechanics from the starting gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

It's a surprisingly good game, if you can jive with fighting game mechanics from the starting gun.

yeah, it's pretty fun and I played though it multiple times. If you can beat the first real boss, you've cleared the initial hurdle of difficulty and it's likely nothing will be as hard from that point on. I played through it without replaying stages to level but the first boss is definitely a " you've got to do more than just mash buttons" check.

The reason there's a lot of mechanics compared to your average beat 'em up is probably because it's a spin-off of a fighting game series.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Deakul posted:

Rogue owns, sorry you have bad taste. :shrug:

I didn't say it was a poo poo game did I? Just that the flaws are a lot more present since I played the most recent one first and it makes me way more aware of them. Sorry you misinterpreted my post I guess.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Morter posted:

I read it and piggy-backed with my own thoughts.

Not that it means anything. :smith:

(But yes it is a very good game)
Now now, I read your post too :), it's a cool game that should be played.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Someone buy Emporea and tell me how it is.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zotix posted:

Someone buy Emporea and tell me how it is.

...It's free to play, dude.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

END ME SCOOB posted:

:thejoke:

At least I hope.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
My apologies if this is the incorrect thread for this but how legitimate is G2A and Gamesplanet UK? Like they seem really low prices for certain things but how fishy/or not are they and have there been any issues experienced by people in this thread?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

G2A is fishy as hell man.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

SkySteak posted:

My apologies if this is the incorrect thread for this but how legitimate is G2A and Gamesplanet UK? Like they seem really low prices for certain things but how fishy/or not are they and have there been any issues experienced by people in this thread?

The best way of determining if a site is legit is if it shows up on is there any deal. GamesPlanet UK shows up but G2A doesn't. Also G2A pretty much forces you to buy key insurance from them so give them no business because they're shady as gently caress.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Anonymous Robot posted:

People warned me that Phantom Breaker's bosses were a difficulty wall and that you needed to grind to be able to beat them and it killed the game, and I understand their grievances in that regard. But in playing it for myself, it turns out the game's manual should probably just say "it's Guilty Gear, if you don't know how to play Guilty Gear, go learn that". The game includes a gatling combo system, guard gauges, faultless defense, burst triggers, just defends, etc, all stuff you need to know to handle the bosses. It just doesn't really make that very clear.

Except you have to grind to unlock all those features on your character after the first stage because they pull a Metroid Prime on you and whoops, hope you skilled the right stuff or you literally can't fight boss 2!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

SkySteak posted:

G2A is a no-go unless you stick to their own front page sales, and even then you'd have to untick the dumb insurance and make sure you don't commit tax fraud by "forgetting" to click the right VAT box.
gamesplanet UK/DE/FR are legit and great all around.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

BlueKingBar posted:

Except you have to grind to unlock all those features on your character after the first stage because they pull a Metroid Prime on you and whoops, hope you skilled the right stuff or you literally can't fight boss 2!

I played all the characters in rotation so I beat stage 4 (halfway point of game) on a level 0.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

NaDy posted:

I didn't say it was a poo poo game did I? Just that the flaws are a lot more present since I played the most recent one first and it makes me way more aware of them. Sorry you misinterpreted my post I guess.

Uh, no, you see you said bad thing about game I like so gently caress YOU!

God, what a jerk, am I right guys?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
No Man's Sky will be a bunch of empty space. Sorta like Star Citizen.

/endofbadjoke

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

Yeah, that's right. I typed that up on the way to work this morning. Didn't remember it was F2P

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
March of

Day 1: 80 Days
Day 2: The Journey Down: Chapters 1 and 2
Day 3: Contradiction: Spot the Liar!
Day 4: Gray Matter
Day 5: Fran Bow
Day 6: Syberia
Day 7: The Dream Machine: Chapters 1-5
Day 8: Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Day 9: Gone Home
Day 10: Shardlight
Day 11: Bad Mojo Redux
Day 12: Her Story
Day 13: Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Day 14: Oxenfree
Day 15: Waking Mars
Day 16: The Magic Circle

Day 17: Dropsy

Dropsy was created by fellow goon Jay Tholen aka Gaspy Conona. Dropsy has its origins in the CYOA games Gaspy held in GBS years ago. After a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2013 and getting helped along by Devolver Digital, Dropsy was officially released last year.

You play the titular Dropsy, a creepy-looking yet endearing clown who only wants to help people and doesn’t have a mean bone in his body. Dropsy lived happily with his adoptive parents at the circus until a fire broke out during a show, killing Dropsy’s mother and closing the circus down. While not charged for it, the people of the town blamed Dropsy for the fire and began to fear him. Dropsy stayed in seclusion with his father and his faithful dog until one day his father falls ill and Dropsy and his canine buddy are forced to venture out into the world to help him. Along the way he helps the people of the town, making the townsfolk begin to realize that they were wrong about Dropsy. But as Dropsy continues his quest he soon realizes that the nearby pharmaceutical company might be up to something…

Dropsy is a traditional point and click adventure game, but of the new school of puzzle design. There was only like two instances of weird pixel hunting I had and the rest were all good. Dropsy actually has a fairly sizable world that you’re mostly free to explore once you start the game. There is no proper dialogue in Dropsy, everyone communicates through images in word bubbles. While you think this would be annoying, it’s executed quite well and there was rarely a time in the game I didn’t know what to do.

Dropsy is a charming as hell game. The aesthetic and character design is delightfully cartoony, the soundtrack is really chill, and Dropsy is a lovable character. It’s a very silly, optimistic, and heartwarming game where Dropsy improves everyone’s lives out of the kindness out of his heart which the townspeople respond in kind. Hell this a game where you can give pretty much everyone a hug. The ending is also really goofy and comes out of left field but it fits the game well. Definitely check Dropsy out.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 2, 2016

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Dropsy didn't really grab me, but at the same time I don't regret dropping five dollars on me, since it's still a nice idea.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Not exactly sure where to put this, but Klepek at Kotaku has a write-up of Noted Steam ParticipantTM Digital Homicide and their $10 million lawsuit against Jim Sterling.

They're suing him for libel. They are representing themselves and briefly had a page up to try to crowdfund a legal team. They will have a very bad time in court.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh hey, Skyshine's Bedlam just updated with a lot of stuff, among them changing the game to let you use all your squad members each turn. That's nice to hear.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Teddybear posted:

Not exactly sure where to put this, but Klepek at Kotaku has a write-up of Noted Steam ParticipantTM Digital Homicide and their $10 million lawsuit against Jim Sterling.

They're suing him for libel. They are representing themselves and briefly had a page up to try to crowdfund a legal team. They will have a very bad time in court.
"Romine also said he recently received a package full of feces in the mail, despite “multiple requests private and public to the individual [Sterling] to inform his subscriber base to stop harassing me.”"

Thanks Obama Sterling.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
My favorite part of the article was:

quote:

In his video, Sterling had criticized the game for using generic art assets purchased online, which Digital Homicide defended as necessary from a production standpoint and part of the “cycle of cash flow that is the lifeblood of hardworking people in the indie community.” The developers described Sterling as a “leech” who profits “from the hardwork [sic] of other people” and said his criticism “reduces sales which in turn reduces money that can be used to purchase more indie development assets.” This impacts “the livelihood of many people with no risk or cost to yourself.”
Yes, please don't negatively review indie games as you're just ruining the livelihood of so many hardworking people.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Teddybear posted:

I don't think they actually understand the things you have to say to be libelous

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Teddybear posted:

I can't wait to see what Jim has to say on Monday, cause there's no way he doesn't do a Jimquisition on this.

I don't know why Digital Homicide is doing this to themselves. They keep making themselves look worse and worse when they could've just never responded to Jim's first video and nothing ever would've came of it. He plays a lot of bad steam games on his channel that get on the store somehow and rarely does a creator of those games ever get on Jim about it, and the ones that do haven't gone anywhere near the extent that DH has. I dunno if they really believe in the "all publicity is good publicity" thing or what but it's not true guys

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Teddybear posted:

Here's hoping for the first livestreamed court session in the history of law.

e: gently caress, apparently it's already a thing. Next time you'll tell me this electricity fad has caught on. Point is this clown's defense is going to be amazing.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 17, 2016

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Macaluso posted:

I can't wait to see what Jim has to say on Monday, cause there's no way he doesn't do a Jimquisition on this.

I don't know why Digital Homicide is doing this to themselves. They keep making themselves look worse and worse when they could've just never responded to Jim's first video and nothing ever would've came of it. He plays a lot of bad steam games on his channel that get on the store somehow and rarely does a creator of those games ever get on Jim about it, and the ones that do haven't got anywhere near the extent that DH has. I dunno if they really believe in the "all publicity is good publicity" thing or what but it's not true guys

He won't say anything, because you don't comment on pending litigation against you.

anilEhilated posted:

Here's hoping for the first livestreamed court session in the history of law.

A lot of states and courts actually livestream their proceedings! I think the Hogan/Gawker trial is being livestreamed, for example.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Teddybear posted:

He won't say anything, because you don't comment on pending litigation against you.

Eh well after it's over then

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If any of you don't subscribe to Jim Sterling on Youtube, here's the latest video that Jim posted about DigiHom, just yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoNDahSe5J4

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I don't know why Digital Homicide is doing this to themselves. They keep making themselves look worse and worse when they could've just never responded to Jim's first video and nothing ever would've came of it. He plays a lot of bad steam games on his channel that get on the store somehow and rarely does a creator of those games ever get on Jim about it, and the ones that do haven't gone anywhere near the extent that DH has. I dunno if they really believe in the "all publicity is good publicity" thing or what but it's not true guys

Maybe rename themselves to Digital Suicide

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Oh hey, Skyshine's Bedlam just updated with a lot of stuff, among them changing the game to let you use all your squad members each turn. That's nice to hear.

Yeah.

For those who haven't been paying attention, since release they

- Completely reworked the campaign to be more unlock/roguelike focused.

- Completely reworked the combat, adding in an XCOM style combat mode.

and then after people pointed out the flaws in both of those things reworked them again, this time making a new campaign that encouraged you to explore the map more, and now have made the combat 1:1 with XCOM.

It's a good game now, and it's a shame nobody is going back to take a look at it. They've been listening and reworking their game over the last year in ways most devs wouldn't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So Indiegala is having this sale and if you pay more than like $5 you get this bonus game called "Life is Hard". It's an early access city builder whose twist is that it's in a sidescroller format.

It's very very early access (it doesn't even full screen correctly on OS X) but I like the general idea of it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
A sick part of me hopes that Digital Homicide somehow wins and sets the precedent to destroy games journalism forever, but also it won't happen because this is all pretty laughable.

"So, you released a huge number of incredibly lovely games, and were outraged when your audience found them incredibly lovely?"
-The Judge (paraphrased)

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I've never played anything by Digital Homicide but I really like their website url, it's so bad.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

A sick part of me hopes that Digital Homicide somehow wins and sets the precedent to destroy games journalism forever, but also it won't happen because this is all pretty laughable.

"So, you released a huge number of incredibly lovely games, and were outraged when your audience found them incredibly lovely?"
-The Judge (paraphrased)
It'd be fun to watch them all destroy each other in petty squabbles.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Update - 12:25 pm: Digital Homicide has taken down its crowdfunding request “due to harassers donating amounts specifically to cause charges rather than donations and charge backs to cause financial fees...[W]e will be seeking another avenue for donations”

Okay that's loving funny

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

deadly_pudding posted:

-The Judge (paraphrased)

I think they are going to go with the angle that Sterling was leading a harassment campaign but good luck proving that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking they aren't a game dev but professional comedians. Would explain the game quality too.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Who is Jim Sterling and who is Digital Homicide

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

computer parts posted:

So Indiegala is having this sale and if you pay more than like $5 you get this bonus game called "Life is Hard". It's an early access city builder whose twist is that it's in a sidescroller format.

It's very very early access (it doesn't even full screen correctly on OS X) but I like the general idea of it.

I'm looking at the store right now and it says $2 or 2 Euros for the Life is Hard key. They have a bunch of neat little indie games on sale for less than a dollar so I think I'm going to hoover a few up and give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Has anyone been keeping up with Offworld Trading Company? A MULE-inspired game sounds like my jam, and I definitely wanted to play the next thing from the designer of Civ 4. But $40 for an Early Access game was a bit of an ask. It's still Early Access but now on sale at $20...

• Locked thread