Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Jackard posted:

or Desmond Fishman

People apparently eat Des up (outside of here). Didn't he win a "vote for which story I should do for January filler" poll or something along those lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, I'm enjoying Mordawwa and I also liked Robert Cop. Allison's fun to read regardless of whatever he's doing, apparently.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Leroy Dennui posted:

People apparently eat Des up (outside of here). Didn't he win a "vote for which story I should do for January filler" poll or something along those lines?

Maybe he should have sent Desmond Fishman to Hell; then they'd keep reading Mordawwa.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The tiny Horns reveal was a comedic master stroke.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea it was great and also makes it clear that someone set him up

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Fangz posted:

Yeah, I'd imagine so. I have a lot of sympathy for Allison. He clearly wants to experiment and tell different types of stories but it's hard to do that without alienating some people.

Is it really that big of a departure? I mean, tonally and in terms of how it looks, it's not too far off a lot of classic SGR and two of the main characters are SGR/Bad Machinery holdovers.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I can't really speak for everyone but during SGR's run I never managed to get into it despite several attempts. It was only when we got the much less hectic Bad Machinery that I became a fan, so just because people are current fans doesn't mean "classic SGR" will hold their interest.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I felt like the last Bad Machinery case wasn't so polished so I haven't read Allison in a while.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

I, too, fear the inevitable decay.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

In his spare time, Allison writes Happy Days fanfiction. This explains so much.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Saoshyant posted:

In his spare time, Allison writes Happy Days fanfiction. This explains so much.

I'm not sure that everything in that bio is, strictly speaking, true.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm not sure that everything in that bio is, strictly speaking, true.

Hm, I think you are onto something.

Anyway, this is the end of Mordawwa, now with fake horns and her reign on hell over for the time being. A rather weird comic, but I'm not disappointed by reading it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It ended rather abruptly. I wonder if Allison killed it off early 'cos people didn't like it so much?

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
He only allotted five weeks for it and, well,

John Allison on Facebook posted:

MORDAWWA enters its final week! I have precisely five comics to sew this story up, so I'd better get on with it! Things might get raw again! I don't know!!!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Man, today's Giant Days hurts when you know what's coming down the line.

But hey, Carrot's talent for literature has been discovered! :unsmith:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I also just read the latest Giant Days. Kind of confused with the timeline here. I had once thought that Esther's adventures in college were close to Bad Machinery days, but this Giant Days completely contradicted that view. And it makes sense when you think The Boy died aged 24 and he was the same age as Esther -- he had already gone through college, found a job at a science lab, and lapsed into depression by the time Bobbins ends. Additionally, Sarah changed a lot during Bad Machinery -- she got thinner, changed hairstyle entirely, and had a good relationship with Dr Perfect until the Scooby gang ruined it -- and, obviously, none of that can be seen here.

So I guess Giant Days is happening about five or six years before the current events of Bad Machinery and the final Bobbins?

Also, I would read a book by Carrot.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Giant Days is on the timeline.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Giant Days is set in the year after the end of Scary Go Round, so that puts it about two years before the start of Bad Machinery.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Heh, it's a funny coincidence that Allison made a whole timeline table just as I was getting confused about this stuff. That clears it, though. I'm happy he did it too, because he's now running four different stories on the same universe but in different time periods (Mordawwa is in the future apparently), so I wasn't going to be the only confused about it.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It was nice for Esther and The Boy to get some closure in the new Giant Days.

Still gonna be weird if he ever appears again though. 'Cause of the whole horse thing.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
There At The End Of All Things

MORDAWWA

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 11, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Hahaha, Destroy History is on the timeline?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Hahaha, Destroy History is on the timeline?

I mean, that was an easy one.* Shelley left town at the end of Scary Go Round because she got a job at the Ministry of History.

*(assuming you remember a specific strip from many years ago.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So it looks like Amy & Scott Pilgrim have the same taste in jackets.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jumping straight from queen of hell to bratty little sister is really weird

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Spoken like someone who's never had a bratty little sister. :v:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

jumping straight from queen of hell to bratty little sister is really weird

Would make a great title for John Allison's biopic.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
The Case of the Fire Inside is out if people want a physical copy of the best case.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Giant Days got an Eisner nomination for Best Continuing Series. Cool to see the bobbins-verse getting that kind of recognition.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Can I just say that even though it was cheesy, I very much enjoyed Pa Winters making the joke about Erin sprouting horns.

Also, Carol Winters is now maybe my new favorite of the Winters family.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

HMS Beagle posted:

Giant Days got an Eisner nomination for Best Continuing Series. Cool to see the bobbins-verse getting that kind of recognition.

Giant Days really is very good, it's such a good read.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm not entirely sure that would have been your genius mother's approach, Shelley.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not entirely sure that would have been your genius mother's approach, Shelley.

:raise:

http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20160426

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
The terrible thing about leaping back to new old new Bobbins is that we know how and when Rich dies, and it is not now.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Wonderslug posted:

The terrible thing about leaping back to new old new Bobbins is that we know how and when Rich dies, and it is not now.
At least we know that it was/will be in great pain, doing something loving stupid.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Rich has notably died twice; the first time was when Holly fired him so hard he ceased to exist at the tail end of OG Bobbins.

It seems that he had been dead inside for a while prior to then, anyway.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wonderslug posted:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I haven't read the original Bobbins. What did Rich do that makes you all hate him so much? All I know about him is that he led that ill advised protest to save the bears in Bad Mach, and seems kind of sleezy in Bobbins. In terms of villainy he seems to be really low end by Scary go Round standards, so all the hate thrown his way confuses me.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
My impression of Rich, knowing exactly as much as you do, is that he's just kind of a generally garbage person. Not quite as garbage as Desmond, but definitely needs to be thrown to the curb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The Lord of Hats posted:

My impression of Rich, knowing exactly as much as you do, is that he's just kind of a generally garbage person. Not quite as garbage as Desmond, but definitely needs to be thrown to the curb.

It's kind of like a Rich:Desmond::Umbridge:Voldemort situation there. Desmond is amazingly, fantastically awful, and Rich is awful in the way that somebody you already know probably is.

• Locked thread