Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
Do any of you guys host a Plex server remotely? Which host do you use, and how does it go? I currently host mine at home but I have crappy aussie internet (1mbps upload on a perfect day) and I have ~4tb of content hosted from my home computer and I would like to reduce my power bill by not having a gaming computer on 24/7, and would like to watch it at a decent quality without watching 2 minutes and waiting 5 minutes for the next 2 minutes to buffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i host remotely on servers, but for 4tb you're probably going to be paying a pretty penny not to mention domestic bandwidth if you don't want constnat buffering and 300ms+ latency

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Biowarfare posted:

i host remotely on servers, but for 4tb you're probably going to be paying a pretty penny not to mention domestic bandwidth if you don't want constnat buffering and 300ms+ latency

I don't necessarily need my whole library, I can even settle with 500gb or a terabyte and just put "the essentials" on and link it with my home library. Which host do you use, if you don't mind? I'm australian so I get about 150-180ms ping to LA, 130ish to Singapore and about 300 or over to france/uk/etc.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/storage/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

River posted:

Do any of you guys host a Plex server remotely? Which host do you use, and how does it go? I currently host mine at home but I have crappy aussie internet (1mbps upload on a perfect day) and I have ~4tb of content hosted from my home computer and I would like to reduce my power bill by not having a gaming computer on 24/7, and would like to watch it at a decent quality without watching 2 minutes and waiting 5 minutes for the next 2 minutes to buffer.

I host Plex on a server I got from http://oneprovider.com/ (they're a reseller but they seem to have pretty good deals occasionally)

I pay 30 Euros / month for:
CPU: Intel Xeon L3426 1.86Ghz + IPMI
RAM: 16GB
Hard drive(s): 2x 2TB
Bandwidth: 1Gbps

The server is in Paris and Plex works fine for friends in the UK, Germany, Switzerland etc. I don't think anyone further afield has used it so not sure how it would deal with longer distances. I regularly get 4/5 people watching at the same time with no issues.

I do all my torrenting on the same server and the whole setup has been running pretty reliably for a couple of years.

Plex is a little annoying to set up on a remote server because you have to connect to the web interface to do the initial setup and it only accepts local connections, so you need to setup an ssh tunnel to the server (you only have to do it once).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How loving log would it take to upload 4TB of media? What's your upload like?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

fuf posted:

I host Plex on a server I got from http://oneprovider.com/ (they're a reseller but they seem to have pretty good deals occasionally)

I pay 30 Euros / month for:
CPU: Intel Xeon L3426 1.86Ghz + IPMI
RAM: 16GB
Hard drive(s): 2x 2TB
Bandwidth: 1Gbps

The server is in Paris and Plex works fine for friends in the UK, Germany, Switzerland etc. I don't think anyone further afield has used it so not sure how it would deal with longer distances. I regularly get 4/5 people watching at the same time with no issues.

I do all my torrenting on the same server and the whole setup has been running pretty reliably for a couple of years.

Plex is a little annoying to set up on a remote server because you have to connect to the web interface to do the initial setup and it only accepts local connections, so you need to setup an ssh tunnel to the server (you only have to do it once).

It's resold online.net, I have this package for 30eur [direct, not oneprovider] - https://documentation.online.net/en/serveur-dedie/offres/server-dedibox-limited-edition-08164/start

Pretty happy with it. Network is decent.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Biowarfare posted:

It's resold online.net, I have this package for 30eur [direct, not oneprovider] - https://documentation.online.net/en/serveur-dedie/offres/server-dedibox-limited-edition-08164/start

Pretty happy with it. Network is decent.

Oh dang, any idea if that deal still available? I would switch but I can't see it here:
https://console.online.net/en/order/server_limited

Also unrelated but do you (or anyone) happen to know where oneprovider get their London servers from (i.e. who they are reselling)? I have a London server with them too and I've always wondered what data centre it's in.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain

Bob Morales posted:

How loving log would it take to upload 4TB of media? What's your upload like?
If it was me I would just download it again using the gbit downlink on the server. Or mail my host an external hard drive to plug into the server if they will do that. Does anyone offer that?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Wasn't sure where to post to ask and this is the closest thread.

Currently have a website and email hosted with Arvixe, which at one point was a recommended hosting solution for windows based services. Anyway, they apparently got bought out last year and since then service and reliability have taken a nose dive.

Right now and I looking to offload mail hosting service to something like Google Apps, but leave the website hosted on Arvixe for the time being. How do I do this? We used GoDaddy as the registrar like 14 years ago and when I go in there I am not able to edit the MX Records for the domain, I can only edit DNS server information which currently points to Arvixe servers. It says I can't edit mx records directly since DNS is hosted elsewhere which is OK, but I am starting to wonder if this in itself is going to be a problem too? Right now the server hosting my email/website is down (has been for 24hrs) and they don't seem to know what the problem is. It sounds like I have to wait until it comes back online so I can access the control panel and point MX Record elsewhere from there. Won't that still cause my email to be down even on another host since i'll need their name servers online to tell mail where to route? I haven't done this crap, at least this in depth for over 16 years so I don't remember much...but I assume if I edit the MX Record with my current DNS host routing for email would be something like web>arvixe>google apps - so if arvixe is down I am screwed and won't get email. How can I host these 2 services completely separate so if one fails the other works still? I know there had to be a simple solution for this, but I am not seeing it?

Do I need to have Godaddy host the DNS, then edit records from there to point to Arvixe server ip? and then edit mx record to point to google? Will this cause any issues with the website routing?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

thebushcommander posted:

Do I need to have Godaddy host the DNS, then edit records from there to point to Arvixe server ip? and then edit mx record to point to google? Will this cause any issues with the website routing?

It sounds like your registrar (GoDaddy) is pointing the DNS servers to Arvixie, which is okay. You can use a different company to register the domain and host your DNS. Your GoDaddy DNS settings just tell the internet which DNS server has the records for your domain, not the actual DNS records that say which mail/web servers you are using. GoDaddy has DNS hosting available, you might not have that in your plan - but you should be able to add it for a small charge.

For now you just want to log into Arvixie and change your MX records to point to Google Apps. Your webserver being down shouldn't have any effect on this. That would only be a problem if Arvixie's DNS servers were not reachable. You can have MX records without even having records for a website...

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 9, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Bob Morales posted:

It sounds like your registrar (GoDaddy) is pointing the DNS servers to Arvixie, which is okay. You can use a different company to register the domain and host your DNS. Your GoDaddy DNS settings just tell the internet which DNS server has the records for your domain, not the actual DNS records that say which mail/web servers you are using. GoDaddy has DNS hosting available, you might not have that in your plan - but you should be able to add it for a small charge.

For now you just want to log into Arvixie and change your MX records to point to Google Apps. Your webserver being down shouldn't have any effect on this. That would only be a problem if Arvixie's DNS servers were not reachable. You can have MX records without even having records for a website...

Ok, it is an issue though. Right now my site is hosted on shitserver.arvixe.com , but the DNS servers are NS1/NS2.shitserver.arvixe.com - So if shitserver goes down so does my DNS. I basically need to host DNS offsite, point A record to shitserver somehow so the website still works and point the mx record to google apps. Is that a thing, from what I have been reading online it sounds like a pain in the rear end. Godaddy is just the registrar and when I try to change anything but name server it tell me "The zone file is unavailable because the domain's set nameservers do not belong to this registrar." which is obvious I guess.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

Ok, it is an issue though. Right now my site is hosted on shitserver.arvixe.com , but the DNS servers are NS1/NS2.shitserver.arvixe.com - So if shitserver goes down so does my DNS.
This shouldn't happen. Your web hosting with a provider and their DNS hosting are separate.

You should be able to go to your domain setup on GoDaddy and point it at GoDaddy for DNS if you want to do that. Then point your www to shitserver and mx to google apps. You can't change the zonefile until you have pointed your domain to GoDaddy's DNS servers.

GoDaddy will do this for you over the phone if you call them.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

IMO use Amazon Route 53 for DNS. It costs about $6-8 a year per domain for typical light usage, and I've never seen an outage and don't think I ever will due to the way it's architected with tons of anycast DNS servers spread all over the place.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Bob Morales posted:

This shouldn't happen. Your web hosting with a provider and their DNS hosting are separate.

You should be able to go to your domain setup on GoDaddy and point it at GoDaddy for DNS if you want to do that. Then point your www to shitserver and mx to google apps. You can't change the zonefile until you have pointed your domain to GoDaddy's DNS servers.

GoDaddy will do this for you over the phone if you call them.

Yeah it seems weird that my hosts server and DNS server are the same. It's a shared hosting platform so I image that will cause problems hosting DNS offsite too ;(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Do most people with a large amount of traffic use a separate DNS service outside of what their registrar provides?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thalagyrt posted:

IMO use Amazon Route 53 for DNS. It costs about $6-8 a year per domain for typical light usage, and I've never seen an outage and don't think I ever will due to the way it's architected with tons of anycast DNS servers spread all over the place.

I use HE.net, it's free

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Ok, think I have it figured out. I used a .net domain had that wasn't actually pointed anywhere and set it up with google apps and then edited the A Record for my hosting provider. Once their servers come back online i'll need to add the .net domain to my hosting account to see if it all worked, but email for the domain is working over google so I am at least half way there.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I use HE.net, it's free

I used to suggest that to my customers - I don't anymore. I've seen about 6 dns.he.net outages in the past 4 months. Not long outages, but 5-10 minute blips of timeouts or other resolution errors. It was enough that our monitoring on managed customer DNS records would catch the outages and alert us that all of the domains on he.net aren't resolving at the same time, then resolve 5-10 minutes later when he.net started working again. This wasn't a problem until about 4 months ago, and I haven't seen it again in the past month so maybe they've resolved their issues, but it still leaves me hesitant to rely on it.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

River posted:

If it was me I would just download it again using the gbit downlink on the server. Or mail my host an external hard drive to plug into the server if they will do that. Does anyone offer that?

There is a vps provider that lets you mail in/buy big hdds mount on your vps but I can't remember the name

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Hey all. Is there a Google analytics thread (search was not helpful) or can I ask a bit of esoteric question here?
---
I have created a very specific Dashboard that I want to use for some comparison reports. So I have duplicated it (using the copy link/paste into new tab/rename method - http://designpieces.com/2013/04/how-to-duplicate-dashboards-in-google-analytics/ ).

The plan was to have the same metrics and dimensions for each report, but with differing date ranges. Then I could set each one to email out on a scheduled date (every Monday or every 1st of the month for instance).

Dashboard 1: Previous 7 days
Dashboard 2: Previous 30 days
Dashboard 3: Previous 7 days, compared to previous year
Dashboard 4: Previous 30 days, compared to previous year

All of the Dashboards have the same widgets in place.

The problem is that if I change the date ranges on one Dashboard, it changes them for all of the Dashboards! Am I doing something wrong? Did I miss a step?

Thanks in advance.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
My podcast is hosted with bluehost.com and they've apparently poo poo the bed. For the last 3 days, my websites are down and tech support has been extremely unhelpful - all I know is they upgraded to nginx 1.81 and that hosed everything up somehow. I use their shared business pro plan because it has unlimited storage and bandwidth. My podcast has built up a massive backlog of episodes over the years (about 1 TB) and I use 2-3 TB a month according to awstats. Does anyone have any idea what the gently caress is going with bluehost and should I switch hosts to something more reliable? I can afford better than what I currently spend, but it seems any VPS package that can take what I have is going to be $200 or more a month, which is way more than I can afford.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
That's roughly in line with what it would cost on Amazon S3

The alternatives that come to mind are e.g. OVH's public cloud storage, which is about a tenth of the cost, or a Soundcloud Unlimited account

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

is there anything in the $500-600/year range that is better than a shared hosting plan but offers unlimited storage and bandwidth? Bluehost seems to going down the tubes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

clockworkjoe posted:

is there anything in the $500-600/year range that is better than a shared hosting plan but offers unlimited storage and bandwidth? Bluehost seems to going down the tubes.

There is no such thing as unlimited storage at a fixed flat rate. There will always be catches and clauses because hard drives have a real cost to the operator. The way to get the best value is to understand how much bandwidth and storage you actually need and shop for an appropriate plan.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

So the next step up from shared hosting is $200/month for what I use? gently caress.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Why don't you just get a vps.

Nvm, reread your post. Rip

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

clockworkjoe posted:

So the next step up from shared hosting is $200/month for what I use? gently caress.

It doesn't mean that necessarily but the better you can define what you need the less money you'll spend.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

clockworkjoe posted:

The dedicated server deals we were discussing earlier on this page offer >1TB disk space and unlimited bandwidth for around 30 euros a month.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Well I requested a quote from http://oneprovider.com/ and we'll see what they say.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

Well I requested a quote from http://oneprovider.com/ and we'll see what they say.

oneprovider resell, amongst others, OVH

is there a reason you're not looking at OVH's S3 competitor? It would probably work out cheaper than a dedicated server and is less hassle

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rufus Ping posted:

oneprovider resell, amongst others, OVH

is there a reason you're not looking at OVH's S3 competitor? It would probably work out cheaper than a dedicated server and is less hassle

Because I have no idea what it means by 'object storage'. I want a wordpress site that can host lots of podcast episodes. I can't even tell what they're offering. Plus, they're hosted in the UK and most of my listeners are in the US.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

clockworkjoe posted:

Because I have no idea what it means by 'object storage'. I want a wordpress site that can host lots of podcast episodes. I can't even tell what they're offering. Plus, they're hosted in the UK and most of my listeners are in the US.

Why aren't you using s3 for the mp3 storage ? Wordpress even has an s3 storage plugin ?

https://wordpress.org/plugins/amazon-s3-and-cloudfront/

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

jre posted:

Why aren't you using s3 for the mp3 storage ? Wordpress even has an s3 storage plugin ?

Because it's incredibly expensive for what I do.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

Because I have no idea what it means by 'object storage'. I want a wordpress site that can host lots of podcast episodes. I can't even tell what they're offering.
you're being a bit obtuse considering people are trying to help you

clockworkjoe posted:

Plus, they're hosted in the UK and most of my listeners are in the US.
OVH are a French firm and their cloud storage service is available in their French and North American data centres

jre posted:

S3 itself would be pretty expensive for this but there are other providers that use the same API

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as rude but I only have experience related to Cpanel and Wordpress. I honestly don't know much at this level of admin/hosting services. I can't figure out what OVH would charge me for 1 TB of storage and 2-3 TB of bandwidth a month with several Wordpress sites. The sites themselves don't get a lot of views, it's just a lot of people downloading long podcast episodes. Is this the best option for me? https://www.ovh.co.uk/cloud/instances/ - it's still out of my price range.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

storage is $0.0112/GB/month and outbound traffic is $0.011/GB

so 1TB storage and 3TB of downloads would be $44.20/month

that's just for the mp3 files themselves - you'd host the wordpress installation itself elsewhere at minimal cost

alternatively you could try to find a dedicated server with a big enough hard disk e.g. https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc for ~$18/mo

but then you'd have to set it up and administer it yourself

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

If I switch, is it technically possible to redirect all files - so that when someone tries to download oldsite.com/episode1.mp3 and the file is hosted at ovh.net/episode1.mp3 they will be redirected to the right location? I don't want all the old URLs for my podcast to break.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

clockworkjoe posted:

If I switch, is it technically possible to redirect all files - so that when someone tries to download oldsite.com/episode1.mp3 and the file is hosted at ovh.net/episode1.mp3 they will be redirected to the right location? I don't want all the old URLs for my podcast to break.

Are you getting a new domain name? Typically you would migrate all of your content so that you have two copies, one at each provider, and then change DNS to point your single domain name to the new IP address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

yes, you can set up some redirects so the old urls point to the new cloud storage urls