Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

pixaal posted:

You can also have it not peel off and just print 150,000 labels overnight for mass labeling of products all on a nice roll. Basically figure out how large a roll is and print the entire thing, put it next to someone labeling product in a few hours. You can print an entire 8inch roll in a few hours. Extra part is called a rewinder.

Peeler does't have to use the rewinder you can get machines without one and just have it leave a mess on the floor. We use peel + rewind in shipping and rewinder in production. Zebra's are tanks, they only cause problems when you have more then one on a computer in my experience. Just don't buy a model with plastic get an all metal one their low end models are complete trash.

We use the peel off mode when the labels need to be serialized. We do have computers that have a dozen networked label printers installed, so a manager can send a print job to a specific printer if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

you ate my cat posted:

I remember hearing (I think from here) that the reason people answer yes to an 'x or y' question is that they parse it differently than you mean it. Instead of "Do you want x or do you want y?", they interpret it as "Do you want either x or y?" This seems especially prevalent when you're asking what something that isn't working right is doing. It's doing one of those two things, so they say yes.

I've started structuring my questions differently, and I've found it makes a huge difference in the quality of answers that I get back. "Which error are you getting - x or y?"

This. Every time you ask a user some question, or ask them to complete some instruction, and you get back an answer that obviously misunderstands your intention, consider how you can change your wording to be more in line with what they might understand.

And if you're instructing someone live over the phone, make sure to constantly check with them what is actually happening. Reference elements to click not just by name, but by their location relative to other things, shape, colors, icons, etc. It's fine to mention the proper names of thing, to help reinforce correct terminology, but just never expect others to understand what you mean. Like the way both the task bar and the title bars of windows have come to be known as "menu bar".
"Okay in the task bar at the very bottom of your screen, you have the clock, right? Just next to that, you should be able to see a white symbol for a speaker, it's sort of like a triangle but not quite pointy. If you click on that once, and wait a bit, a tall bar pops up above it. Are you following me?" - and then wait for the user to catch up.

Of course there's also a large element of judging the user's level of knowledge and how secure they feel about it. Few are stupid, many are insecure or lazy.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

nielsm posted:

consider how you can change your wording to be more in line with what they might understand.

I don't think my boss would appreciate it if I started responding to client emails with nothing but emoji and pictures of cats.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
"I can't print"

"All good fam it's lit now 😂😂🔥🔥🔥💯💯💯💯💯"

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Flatscan posted:

I don't think my boss would appreciate it if I started responding to client emails with nothing but emoji and pictures of cats.

I commincate with mid to senior level business people in SE Asia a lot. Most of them don't really know me that well but about half think emojis are pefectly fine in otherwise serious emails. I don't personally care but it is a bit jarring.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A ticket came in:

quote:

The welding shop break room PC won't turn on. Please fix right away.

The PSU fan was clogged, but it still wouldn't boot after clearing. RIP that PC

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That a Pentium 4 still in the wild? Maybe a core 2 duo?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pixaal posted:

My money's on Pentium D.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in:

The PSU fan was clogged, but it still wouldn't boot after clearing. RIP that PC

A new PSU will easily let that tortured machine continue plodding the death march it deserves.

I had tons of machines like that at my last job. I demanded sealed / vented / filtered boxes for factory floor machines, and was built crates out of pallet wood to keep the machines in. My friend who replaced me at this shop confirms they're still in crates, and replaced all the time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I got really mad at a PM at my old job for doing this loving constantly.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

pixaal posted:

Yeah, Optiplex 745 with a core 2. I scavenged together a 755 core 2 and added an SSD to replace it. No way I'm putting one of our new machines in there, especially since it's only used for web browsing and assignment printing.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Hungry Computer posted:

Yeah, Optiplex 745 with a core 2. I scavenged together a 755 core 2 and added an SSD to replace it. No way I'm putting one of our new machines in there, especially since it's only used for web browsing and assignment printing.

Use that station as your garbage outlet. Any case of "This machine still works, we can't throw it away!" gets lined up for the Shop Break Room death march.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I've still got a functioning slotted Pentium 3 running Windows 98.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I've a 386 that was mission critical here until about two years ago.

It is still sitting there, because what the hell else are we going to do with it, it's been here longer than all but two employees.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Antifreeze Head posted:

I've a 386 that was mission critical here until about two years ago.

It is still sitting there, because what the hell else are we going to do with it, it's been here longer than all but two employees.

I haven't seen a 386 since i was like 8, I miss that thing :(

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I've still got a functioning slotted Pentium 3 running Windows 98.

I still have a Core2Duo build from Feb 2008 sitting on my kitchen counter, working at recovering data from a 2 TB drive that went into failure mode. Became redundant when I did my new build last April (i7), but other than turning down some graphics settings in games, was working fine as my primary system at home.

Spent extra time and money on the build so it would be beefy enough to last a while... might have been pushing it a bit. :v:

Don't think I have records of when I did the P3 build, though, which was one emergency-replacement (gently caress you power company) out from being the direct predecessor to the C2D.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

MF_James posted:

I haven't seen a 386 since i was like 8, I miss that thing :(

Happy memories!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

pixaal posted:

I've got maybe 60 or 70 P4's still running. My idea of a good computer is a core 2 duo, of which we have hundreds..

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Just today my friend who's an electrician at a local engine plant shared in our Hangout the fact he just found six of these, brand new still in the box:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Nerdrock posted:

Just today my friend who's an electrician at a local engine plant shared in our Hangout the fact he just found six of these, brand new still in the box:

That is a thing of beauty.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Nerdrock posted:

:swoon:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nerdrock posted:

A quick googling informs me that I am barely older than that Motherboard.

I'm just :psyduck:ing at all the real estate taken up by onboard memory chips and what appear to be side by side ISA slots at the top?

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 17, 2016

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Kurieg posted:

I'm just :psyduck:ing at all the real estate taken up by onboard memory chips and what appear to be side by side ISA slots at the top?

8 and 16 bit, thank you very much! That onboard stuff is probably L2 cache.

In the days when you didn't have build in FDD and HDD controllers, or sound, or video, or even serial or parallel ports, everything had a card. I likely still have some old controller cards somewhere.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kurieg posted:

You mean ISA, not IDE. I'm not sure what the double-length one is, though.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

anthonypants posted:

You mean ISA, not IDE. I'm not sure what the double-length one is, though.

VESA video port, I think?
poo poo, been a while for me to. I first started loving up computers with a 486/sx 25. The memories.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Siochain posted:

poo poo, been a while for me to. I first started loving up computers with a 486/sx 25. The memories.
Actually it looks like they say SLOT1 and SLOT2, so they're probably for some kind of riser or backplane?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
NASA will pay a lot of money for those things. IIRC they have a lot of legacy stuff that runs on 386/486 hardware and are starting to hit ebay for parts.

Edit: 8086 but whatever.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

anthonypants posted:

Actually it looks like they say SLOT1 and SLOT2, so they're probably for some kind of riser or backplane?

Yeah looks like a slot of a daughter board.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

anthonypants posted:

You may be correct. I didn't quite think it looked like VESA, but wasn't sure. Bectcha a VESA video card plugged into the daughterboard, and the whole thing went into a horizontal case.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Warehouses and workshops are what passively cooled industrial PCs are for.

Or thin clients maybe.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Siochain posted:

386 SX with 2 whole megs of RAM.

I wrote a menu system for my various DOS executables using Turbo Pascal.

Ahhh, memories.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

pshh. the computer i learned to read and do DOS commands was an epson computer with a 2MB hard disk. My dad still has it. I should liberate it some day.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Flatscan posted:

After Mickens, I have had to fight the urge to replace the error messages in one of our internal tools with 🏈🐺🌴🌴🌴

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Nerdrock posted:

486DX...
SIMMs....
ISA slots...
AMBIOS 1992 Copyright...

So clean... should've sent a poet.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I shed a tear when I saw that. :(

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Holy.... that's quite the sight.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Siochain posted:

You may be correct. I didn't quite think it looked like VESA, but wasn't sure. Bectcha a VESA video card plugged into the daughterboard, and the whole thing went into a horizontal case.

VESA slots were much higher pin density than ISA slots. It would look like a PCI slot on the end of a 16bit ISA slot if it were VESA.

The double length ISA slot is for a riser card that would provide additional 16bit ISA slots. It could also be used to host a memory expansion board, but those were obsolete by the time this board would have been made.

This board has a bunch of features you don't see in modern boards:

In the lower left is the CPU cache. This board has 64kbit of SRAM cache, but up to 128kbit was possible if all the sockets were populated.

Above that on the left is the jumper block for configuring board features. Everything was done that way, the BIOS pretty much only let you configure HD parameters and the time. The empty pin blocks running up the left side would have been connections for the reset button and power lights, and maybe a turbo button. No power button, AT didn't support soft-on or soft-off.

The empty socket next to the 486DX is for a math co-processor (FPU). In this case, the DX has a co-processor already but a lower end 486SX wouldn't, so the upgrade option existed. This was all marketing flim-flam, as the 486 FPU was just a 486DX that took over completely, leaving the SX unused, though it had to be present. (Note that the 486DX and 486SX were both 32bit CPU's, unlike the 386 series, where the DX was 32bit and the SX was 16bit). FPU became standard on all processors from then on until the advent of SSE instructions, which replaced it, emulating the old FPU.

The two soldered UMC chips are likely the memory controller and cache controller, both of which were part of the mainboard, and not integrated into the CPU. This meant different mainboards could have huge performance differences. It was about this time intel became fed up with the shoddy controllers they kept encountering, and started making their own.

The two silver 'boxes' are quartz clocks, for generating timing signals.

The red bars are all resistors, which served to smooth power and signal flow throughout the board. Today we'd use capacitors for this (and better board design), but resistors were much cheaper back then.

The small rectangular chips scattered everywhere are simple logic controllers, and served to control traffic flow between different parts of the board and keep everything on the same timing cycle.

The memory are SIMM's, single inline memory module, and feature SDRAM running at what was most likely 8Mhz.

In the lower right is an AT keyboard socket and white AT power connector (black together!). The blue tube above that is the CMOS battery.

The square socketed chip is probably the ISA controller. The BIOS is socketed nearby, and wouldn't be larger than 64 or 128kbit at most, and not flashable, it would have to have been pulled and replaced. Unlabeled next to it would have been the CPU microcode firmware (note that this chip is from intel as well).

I've configured boards like this and sold them to people and used them for work related systems (so old). This board also isn't brand new, the two white plastic standoffs mean it was mounted and used at some point.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 18, 2016

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

EoRaptor posted:

It could also be used to host a memory expansion board, but those were obsolete by the time this board would have been made.

That's where I've seen a double ISA before! I saw my Uncle working on a PC with a memory expansion board once when I was a kid. Thanks, that's been bugging me since ever since the pic was posted.

I also seem to remember him using a soldering iron to either add or remove long pins from some RAM sticks so they could be used in a different PC. A quick google search says he was probably removing pins from a 30-pin SIPP to fit into a 30-ping SIMM? That seems crazy.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I probably should google this but what the hell did those old turbo buttons even do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I probably should google this but what the hell did those old turbo buttons even do?

Toggled between full speed mode and a reduced speed mode designed to support older software meant for the 8088 chips that used the CPU frequency for timing. That's right, the Turbo buttons slowed down the computers.

• Locked thread