Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
At this point, saying the site is back is like saying "the yo-yo is back".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

TheMcD posted:

The site is back now, I think? You never really know with this thing.

Yeah, and Trasson got timed out. Restart your game if you would please, gentlemen.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Slur posted:

Yeah, and Trasson got timed out. Restart your game if you would please, gentlemen.

Is there some way to continue the game the way we have it now (because if so I can't find it)? Or do I literally have to make a new game?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Is there some way to continue the game the way we have it now (because if so I can't find it)? Or do I literally have to make a new game?

The latter option. I have your game and Trasson got timed out.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

The latter option. I have your game and Trasson got timed out.

:rip:

Tournament Fun Times II is up. Password is again "goons". Took the liberty of setting the timeout time to 20 days, I think we can tell on our own if the players are slacking.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Tournament Fun Times II is up. Password is again "goons". Took the liberty of setting the timeout time to 20 days, I think we can tell on our own if the players are slacking.

Sounds fine by me.

For everyone else's knowledge, another update will be posted today. Stay tuned.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

First Round - Match 3: Kennyman666 vs Doctor Reynolds

It's been quite some time since the last update. That is because Advance Wars By Web is kind of like a yoyo: it's up, then down, then up, then down...and sometimes doing a sleeper for an extended period of time. Thankfully it's on an upswing today, meaning that this LP can finally be updated to showcase the epic struggle between Kennyman666 and Doctor Reynolds.

As tradition goes, let's take a look at the map and CO selections of our participants:

...Well, at least I don't have to do a CO evaluation this time!

We should look at the map that I chose for our two participants this time however, and note what makes this map unique. The most interesting aspect of this map, as well as the primary reason I chose this map was due to the HQ placement on this map: both players' HQs are isolated on a small strip of island which can only be accessed by air units. Thus, the only way to reach those HQs for either players' infantry is for T-copters to transport them over to those islands. There are two oddly-placed ports on either side of the map, which can be captured at a minimum of 3 turns from the beginning of the game. The players' bases are widely spread apart from one another, forcing each player to maneuver and manage resources along the two fronts they are given individually. Finally, a multitude of woods and mountains cover the terrain, making it difficult for vehicular units to maneuver along the map, and making the map much more narrow than it initially seems.

Choosing Sami on this map for both players is a bit of a double-edged sword, as far as I see it. On one hand, the infantry specialization will mitigate some of the mobility penalties that the terrain will provide. As well, Sami's indirect combat units can go mostly unhindered and uninterrupted by units such as tanks and recons due to the narrow landscape. On the other hand, due to the way that this map is designed, a lot of common Sami tactics will be hindered: mech flooding can be more easily disrupted due to the smaller number of mechs being produced, the HQ isolation won't allow for a quick and easy victory in the mid-to-late game, and the properties being as spread apart as they are will not allow for a necessarily fast advantage from either player. At least neither of them have to worry too much about recon harassment.

Pre-game analysis aside, let's jump right into the skirmish:

Purple Lightning - End of Day 2

Immediately, I have to respect both players here for making the smart decision to capture the cities right in front of them instead of bee-lining towards the port. The funding advantage that this will grant in later turns helps a lot more significantly than one would initially think it would: losing 1000 funds for any one turn is a hindrance, and losing 1000 funds for Sami is a lot more crucial, as infantry are her bread and butter which wins her matches. As well, deploying a black boat wouldn't be possible at this point in time, due to the low funding that each player has. A lot of this seems like pointing out the obvious to the veteran Advance Wars player, but there is a reason this is worth discussing: the decision of capturing important properties versus capturing the properties immediately in front of you, when it's appropriate, and when to do one versus the other. In this case, capturing the city was the better option, but there will probably come times where a nearby deployment property will be more important.

Pink Cosmos - End of Day 5

So I jumped forward a few turns past the capture phase to see where we ended up at. It seems as if the first unit to be deployed which isn't an infantry on this map is Kennyman666's black boat. There's an obvious use that it's going to have: capturing the airport on the southwestern point of the map. Doctor Reynolds has captured her port on the northwest side of the map as well, meaning she's probably soon going to be doing the same. Otherwise, the capture phase does continue.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 6

Well, Doctor Reynolds decided to deploy the one unit I didn't expect to see on this map: a tank. Around the time that Doctor Reynolds did this, I remember having a discussion with Kennyman666 in IRC, and I remember his reaction quite vividly: surprise and dismissal. Players who do use Sami don't normally deploy tanks, and for good reason.

In normal circumstances, a mech and a tank have equivalent stats to one another when facing in one-on-one combat. However, when Sami's tanks and mechs are in the equation, the former receives a penalty of 10% reduced attack power, while the latter has a bonus of 30% extra attack power. Thus, the only advantage that Sami's tank has over Sami's mechs are mobility.

However, this isn't a mistake by any means. Due to the fact that there is only a singular base along each side of the map, deploying an APC to transport mechs onto the frontline isn't a viable option, as it will take too long of a time to get mechs out to the front line as necessary. As well, a tank can deploy itself to necessary positions on the map much faster than a mech possibly could, even with the surrounding terrain. Considering that Kennyman666 hasn't built any offensive units yet, this tank will be useful for disrupting infantry before they attempt to make captures on the central cities on the map. Reynolds's move is one I never considered, but a very smart one nonetheless.

Pink Cosmos - End of Day 6

Kennyman666 makes an equally surprising move and doesn't deploy an offensive unit, but rather an APC. I can see his reasoning behind it: before that tank can possibly get deployed, he might wish to establish a property advantage, and an APC can help him mobilize some mechs later on to counter that tank. I don't consider this to be the most viable move, but considering the defensive line on the southern front can be overtaken with a few infantry as of the moment, this isn't exactly the worst possible option either. When it comes to a Sami mirror match, superior infantry numbers on any given point on the map is a must if one wants to take over a given area.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 7

The first set of fireworks finally go off just as it begins to rain. Doctor Reynolds uses two of her infantry to destroy a capturing infantry on the middle-to-south city, as well as attacks the infantry which is on the city to the right of Kennyman666's port. That won't stop the infantry capture on the latter city, and Reynolds might have sacrificed his infantry to a potential attack from one of Kennyman666's infantry. However, it does prevent Kennyman666 from gaining further ground in that particular area of the map for a temporary period of time. Reynolds also built a second tank on the southernmost base to protect the area which she's already captured. It begs the question of when Kennyman666 will start building some more offensive units.

Pink Cosmos - End of Day 7

It seems "next turn" was the answer to that question. Kennyman666 built a mech, and is ready to load it into the APC for the next turn. As predicted, he used his infantry to retaliate from Doctor Reynolds's attack in the south. His black boat is positioned strangely, but we'll see why during Kennyman666's next turn.

Pink Cosmos - End of Day 8

Seems that Black Boat had more than just one use: his infantry which he used to attack Doctor Reynolds's infantry was transported by the black boat to a southern shore, and it's ready to lay siege to the city right next to it. There's nothing that Doctor Reynolds can do to stop that, due to Sami's capture bonus. Thus, Kennyman666 will wrestle some fund advantage out of Doctor Reynolds's pockets.

On the northernfront, Kennyman666 is shrugging off all of the damage that Doctor Reynolds's tank is doing to try and disrupt captures as well. If any unit gets too damaged, Kennyman666 can just join the units together, resume the capture, and just not care that Doctor Reynolds's tank is doing damage at all. Kennyman666's entire game right now is not caring one bit about what Doctor Reynolds deploys, does, or retaliates with offensively: so long as he can secure property advantage, he can live without a single offensive unit on the board.

Well, bar that one mech he built last turn which is doing nothing.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 9

The rain has cleared, and so has many of Kennyman666's forces on this turn. In fact, Doctor Reynolds has secured quite an advantage this turn in terms of mobility and unit placement, destroying a total of 3 infantry this turn. It may not seem like a lot, but they were placed in important positions, and now Doctor Reynolds has a rather open opportunity to take quite a few cities that Kennyman666 owns. Furthermore, there's little defending Kennyman666's open central properties as of the moment, and his only offense is being threatened by two full HP infantry and a tank. Reynolds has quite a bit of the map secure at this point, and reinforcements are on the way to help the northern front out a little bit. Things aren't looking up for Kennyman666, especially since Doctor Reynolds just built an anti-air, as to not only just mow down some infantry, but to also prepare for whatever air units Kennyman666 builds with his newly captured airport.

Pink Cosmos - End of Day 9

Kennyman666 saved his mech by transporting it southbound, as well as built a mech on the northermost base, an artillery on the leftmost base, and a t-copter on his airport. Bar the T-copter, I consider the artillery and the mech to be a huge mistake: that mech won't be able to mobilize fast enough to take care of the two tanks which are marching on the northernfront, and the artillery won't be able to position itself fast enough to disrupt the infantry marching in on his cities. Considering that Doctor Reynolds and Kennyman666 are both experienced players, I wouldn't expect the former to fall to a stealth capture on the HQ, or the latter to attempt one. Let's see how things play out.

Pink Cosmos - End of Day 10

Kennyman666 makes good use of his northern infantry to try and prevent Doctor Reynolds from taking the central-north city, and continues with his tactic of building some more mechs and artillery. His artillery placement is smart, in that it is sitting over the cities that Doctor Reynolds is planning to lay siege to. As for his mechs, I think he's planning to make a wall of them on the northern front to push back Doctor Reynolds's tank assault a little bit. It may take some time, but Doctor Reynolds, in her previous turn, built a battle copter. Unless Kennyman666 deploys an anti-air unit on the northern base, he's going to experience some heavy casualties.

The more interesting move from Kennyman666 here however is building a battleship in his lake. If deployed correctly, it will help Kennyman666 take back some southern properties from Doctor Reynolds, as the only viable units which can counterattack that battleship would be some air units (which would take an excessive amount of time to deploy in the southwestern front).

Purple Lightning - End of Day 12

Doctor Reynolds's assault continues, but some of the wind is being taken down out of her sails in the final push against Kennyman666: those artillery that Kennyman666 deployed are serving as effective walls, as although they cannot counterattack Doctor Reynolds's infantry, they aren't doing a significant amount of damage either. Kennyman666 also did a bit of damage to Doctor Reynolds's anti-air in the last turn.

The push is still strong, however: Reynolds has her tanks on the northern front lined up to take down Kennyman666's newly deployed anti-air. As well, her battle copter is moving forward and preparing an attack on Kennyman666's mechs. Rockets were also deployed to threaten Kennyman666's battleship from making any immediate deployment. Most of the map currently belongs to Doctor Reynolds, and Kennyman666's units are pushed back into a rather tight corner. However, the wall isn't the strongest, and Kennyman666 can push back with the right units.

Pink Cosmos - End of Day 12

A medium tank. That is all.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 13

...Okay, that's not all: Kennyman666 built a neat little wall with his infantry and mech to prevent any fire from happening upon his anti-air. This move is a good beginning for Kennyman666 to push back against Doctor Reynolds's assault, but Doctor Reynolds already has taken quite a bit of territory away from Kennyman666. Mobilizing will be difficult for Kennyman666 to pull off, but that medium tank and battleship are quite threatening units to deal with at this point in the game. As for Reynolds, his two b-copters are flying towards the south and center of the map to probably assist with the assault on the left-most front. Though Doctor Reynolds is being pushed back a little bit on the northernfront, it's going to take some time for Kennyman666 to fully regroup there, as Kennyman666 still has two tanks and a few infantry to deal with.

Meanwhile, on the leftmost front, Doctor Reynolds is almost done destroying the northmost artillery Kennyman666 has with his two infantry, and might break a hole in his defenses. An anti-air is coming around to assist as well, meaning there isn't much time left for Kennyman666 on that side of the map unless Kennyman666 redirects some of his resources there.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 14

On Kennyman666's turn, he used his mech to and artillery to damage Doctor Reynolds's assaulting infantry on the left side of the map, which is why they're in the condition they are in. However, things turned from bad to worse on the northern front of the map: though the medium tank is deployed and doing its best to take down whatever Doctor Reynolds has, a single medium tank won't be sufficient to take back what's already lost. Furthermore, Doctor Reynolds has cornered Kennyman666's anti-air, meaning that Doctor Reynolds has free reign to move her battle copters and transport copters as she pleases this turn. That medium tank can't move very far either, with the 6 HP infantry and the transport copter surrounding it.

Pink Cosmos - End of Day 14

To note on this turn is Kennyman666 building a b-copter on this turn, as well as consolidating his forces a little bit. Retreating his anti-air, he surrounds it with a few mech to protect it a little bit from the oncoming tank assault. However, this isn't the biggest of Kennyman666's worries right now...

...it's the B-copter and T-copter rushing in and planning to lay siege to his HQ.

Doctor Reynolds was able to protect her B-copter and T-copter just long enough so that no threats would impede them going in and attempting an HQ capture. Though an opposing mech and a T-copter sit on that island, it wouldn't take very long for Doctor Reynolds to destroy those and perform a capture. Kennyman666 acknowledged this and build a b-copter in response, in hopes of disrupting the capture on a later turn.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 15

Did I say b-copter? Make that 2 b-copters and a magical flying infantry.

Pink Cosmos - End of Day 15

And snowfall. Seems as if even the RNG doesn't want Kennyman666 to stop this. Well, Kennyman666 at least built some rockets to disrupt the capture in a turn or so, right?

...This game is just stacking everything against you, isn't it Kennyman666?

Pink Cosmos - End of Day 17

And this is the end result of the game. Kennyman666 resigns at this point, knowing that in the next turn Doctor Reynolds will destroy that T-copter and activate Victory March for an HQ capture. Ultimately, Kennyman666 lost due to a few mistakes involving unit deployment: going for the normal Sami tactic of spamming mechanized infantry and indirect combat units didn't work on this map. As well, Kennyman666 underestimated just how useful these units would end up being: a tank is still a tank, even with a 10% power cut, and thus has all the mobility and defenses a tank has. Thus, Doctor Reynolds's advantage in unit placement and speed gave her victory, despite each player having property levels at parity with one another for a good portion of the game.

Considering that these updates have been coming out rather swimmingly (past the exhibition match), I've decided that I can post the next rounds to play for our contestants. Paul.Power and Anticheese will be playing on this map. Keiya and Gnoman will be playing on this map. Trasson and TheMcD currently have an ongoing game as well, and the next part could showcase any of these six skilled contestants making it to the next round. See you then!

Slur fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 17, 2016

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Until I get use to this type of game it is going to be like playing chess and having to buy the knights and bishops.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

TheMcD posted:

I can't say I'm complaining, given that our match was about to go south for me real fast.

Are we expecting the other to choose the same CO? I have no issues either way but I don't want to operate under any misunderstandings.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Trasson posted:

I can't say I'm complaining, given that our match was about to go south for me real fast.

Are we expecting the other to choose the same CO? I have no issues either way but I don't want to operate under any misunderstandings.

I picked Olaf again because I like Olaf. If you want to switch, go right ahead, I don't particularly care.

And yeah, I was really liking the way that match had developed. It getting booted was kind of annoying.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah partway through that match I thought to myself I'd like to get those cities on my HQ island, then I was like... hey wait a minute, I'll do the opposite! GENIUS!

I'm a woman, by the way.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah partway through that match I thought to myself I'd like to get those cities on my HQ island, then I was like... hey wait a minute, I'll do the opposite! GENIUS!

I'm a woman, by the way.

...This is the second time this has happened to me in this LP.

Cleaning the post up. Sorry!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

No stress!

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Ah AWBW, I remember this, wasn't that great but still had lots of fun.
Actually I remember quite enjoying making maps, possibly more than playing the actual game. In fact I'm pretty sure they still have my old maps, if you goons are at all interested I'd love to go over a few of them, just tell me if you'd rather I start from the beginning to show off some of the things NOT to do when making maps, or if you'd rather I only show off the "good" ones.
And of course I fully understand if you'd rather I not coo over what I've made like a mother showing off pictures of her babies to anyone and everyone.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

xelada posted:

Ah AWBW, I remember this, wasn't that great but still had lots of fun.
Actually I remember quite enjoying making maps, possibly more than playing the actual game. In fact I'm pretty sure they still have my old maps, if you goons are at all interested I'd love to go over a few of them, just tell me if you'd rather I start from the beginning to show off some of the things NOT to do when making maps, or if you'd rather I only show off the "good" ones.
And of course I fully understand if you'd rather I not coo over what I've made like a mother showing off pictures of her babies to anyone and everyone.
Feel free, although I'd go with "skip to the good ones". Or maybe post them in good/bad pairs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on designing asymmetrical maps too. I always find them more fun than perfectly symmetrical ones, but they're a pain to do right.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Just posting to say that I'm enjoying the write-ups a lot. I am Bad At Advance Wars and probably always will be, but I love me some tactical analysis LPs.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Site's (temporarily) back up, for now.

I might start the next rounds of games, 'cause I've been handling the LP as well as I have lately. What do you guys think?

Successful Student
Jan 29, 2009

Slur posted:

I might start the next rounds of games, 'cause I've been handling the LP as well as I have lately. What do you guys think?

I think I'm in either the next round or the one immediately following it? I'd be fine with this either way.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Slur posted:

Go for it. As TheMcD can attest, my schedule does not lend itself to a fast game.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Slur posted:

Sure, fine by me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Do you mind posting the bracket if you do, so those of us following the thread know which game is being played?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Do you mind posting the bracket if you do, so those of us following the thread know which game is being played?

I went digging in the first few posts and found This. I didn't even know this bracket thingy existed before you asked about it.
And I don't know what the 20 and 17s indicate.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Major_JF posted:

I went digging in the first few posts and found This. I didn't even know this bracket thingy existed before you asked about it.
And I don't know what the 20 and 17s indicate.

The amount of turns that it took each player to win, which will factor into something later on. Maybe.

Retroactively updating the last post. Paul.Power and Anticheese will be playing on this map. Keiya and Gnoman will be playing on this map. If there are any objections to the map selection, or if someone isn't showing up, give me a PM and I'll find a way to deal with it.

My personal thoughts are that I'm going to make the maps bigger and more gimmicky in the next rounds of play, as to mix things up a little bit. I was debating doing that immediately, but I didn't think that'd be fair to the contestants.

Also, the boot interval can be set at default for the time being, until hosting switches over to the new site.

Sorry for not making the bracket more apparent.

Slur fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 17, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ok, game's up - called "Goon Tourney Game 5", password is cheese (ha, didn't even think about who I was playing when I picked that). Good luck, Anticheese!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

Ok, game's up - called "Goon Tourney Game 5", password is cheese (ha, didn't even think about who I was playing when I picked that). Good luck, Anticheese!

Since Paul.Power didn't link it

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I created it named 'Goon Tournament 6', with the password 'Beethro Budkin', but now I'm getting mysql errors... imagine we had a mysql error emote. It's inserted here.

Should show up here though.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Keiya posted:

I created it named 'Goon Tournament 6', with the password 'Beethro Budkin', but now I'm getting mysql errors... imagine we had a mysql error emote. It's inserted here.

Should show up here though.

People in irc have been talking about making an :awbw: emoticon. Nobody can decide on what it'd look like though.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Tried to join, said invalid password.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The new website works just peachy.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Gnoman posted:

Tried to join, said invalid password.

Ugh, I probably mistyped it. It hides it and doesn't have you type it twice, for whatever reason...

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I don't know if you fixed it, I had a clipboard error (I just copy-pasted the password from you post), or the site glitched, but I seem to be in now.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The new website works just peachy.

Except it doesn't save replays.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Just as a general PSA, Amarriner's Twitter can be found at @amarriner, and his e-mail can be found at amarriner@amarriner.com if anyone wants to ask him about what's happening with the site lately.

There's also an IRC channel for those who want to talk about Advance Wars over at irc.synirc.net at #awgoons

Slur fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 21, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
wow, bummer. I only just now saw this thread. I would've totally entered this

but then again, it seems maybe that was for the best if with all the issues going on.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Generally, my hope is that there are enough people harassing him about it, or the migration happens sooner. Once the migration's done and replays are working, then this tournament is going to go by so much more swimmingly.

Hopefully.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Slur posted:

Generally, my hope is that there are enough people harassing him about it.

Please don't harass a person who is providing a free service out of the goodness of their heart.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Is politely prodding acceptable?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

My game with Anticheese is over. I've copied the log to a spreadsheet as a bit of a backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Considering I accidentally quoted a post here instead of editing it, I might as well edit this post to say that an update is indeed coming today.

Thanks to Paul.Power for copying the log and sending it to me just in case the game would be deleted.

• Locked thread