Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

synthetik posted:

Isn't hay the scene that Baron references three posts up?

Yes. It's also the joke, not just something one should "like to think."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes. It's also the joke, not just something one should "like to think."

I think he's approaching it like he hopes it wasn't scripted and they just went with it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Missing Link posted:

Pretty sure he's referencing one of the guys fighting BD in his dojo right before he gets the phone call. "What'd I tell you about interrupting my Kung Fu!?"

wrong idiot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its BAD news black dynamite!!!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Jerry Rice?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Black Dynamite could fill a page of this thread. My favorite gag is the tear that keeps appearing and disappearing on Honey Bee's cheek.

My favorite is Michael Jai White speaking actually decent Mandarin in that one scene, because Chinese in Hollywood movies (by non-native speakers, at least) is usually terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtVT4cpXFs

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
He fired in sequence about 20 rounds out of a revolver

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
My favorite little subtle moment is a henchmen rolls up in a big old 70's car, flings open the door, and the door gets stuck on the grass near the curb and has to struggle to get the door closed again. I used to have an old 70's car and it would sometimes happen to me since the doors were very large, heavy, and low to the ground.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

My favorite little subtle moment is a henchmen rolls up in a big old 70's car, flings open the door, and the door gets stuck on the grass near the curb and has to struggle to get the door closed again. I used to have an old 70's car and it would sometimes happen to me since the doors were very large, heavy, and low to the ground.

thats a blooper they left in......highly recommend watching with commentary

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

thats a blooper they left in......highly recommend watching with commentary

Somehow that makes it even better...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

lambeth posted:

Going back to subtlety, while it's never specified in the movie, I realized partway through Children of Men that given Clive Owens and Julianne Moore's ages and the fact that the infertility issue started in 2009, they're actually millennials, which may explain why many of the characters their age have piercings and tattoos. While that's not exactly mind-blowing, I found it interesting to see people my age as they might look in the future (you know, minus the dystopian part).

Are tattoos and piercing really that much of a millenial thing? I mean I'm pretty sure every person born in the 70's is required by law to have at least one tribal tattoo and/or the name(s) of their child(ren) in fuþark or Hebrew script.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Strudel Man posted:

? Regression to the mean applies to random parameters, whereas heritability is the reason why a parameter would be non-random. What are you implying that the applicability would be?

It's called the Breeder's Equation for genetics, this is a good explanation:

https://westhunt.wordpress.com/2013/06/07/the-breeders-equation/

Basically if IQ average is 100 and you get two parents who are 80 IQ their kids will have an average of 90. They are much more likely to have a sub-80 kid than an average couple and much less likely to have an above 110, but in general their kids will be less extreme than the parents, and that's assume a pretty strong narrow-sense heritability, which is probably not true.

Edit: Also behold the glory of my new red text.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are tattoos and piercing really that much of a millenial thing? I mean I'm pretty sure every person born in the 70's is required by law to have at least one tribal tattoo and/or the name(s) of their child(ren) in fuþark or Hebrew script.

I think it's more common in this generation than previous ones. For example, it's become more and more common for younger people in food service and retail to have tattoos.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

Somehow that makes it even better...

theres lots of bloopers that got left in black dynamite

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

future trophy wife posted:

And as a result he's credited as 'Coffee Shop'.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Obdicut posted:

Basically if IQ average is 100 and you get two parents who are 80 IQ their kids will have an average of 90. They are much more likely to have a sub-80 kid than an average couple and much less likely to have an above 110, but in general their kids will be less extreme than the parents, and that's assume a pretty strong narrow-sense heritability, which is probably not true.

Sure, the non-heritable component would be essentially random. But the fact that much of it is indeed heritable (up to 80% at adulthood) means that stupid people having more kids would indeed produce a downward evolutionary pressure, as the movie's premise suggests. The kids don't have to have exactly the parents' IQ for that to be true.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Isn't IQ a bullshit measurement that skews favorably toward white upper-class males in any case?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Screaming Idiot posted:

Isn't IQ a bullshit measurement that skews favorably toward white upper-class males in any case?

Well...no, remember Asians and Jews tend to score best on IQ tests.

That said trying to quantify intelligence on a single scale is ridiculous.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lambeth posted:

I think it's more common in this generation than previous ones. For example, it's become more and more common for younger people in food service and retail to have tattoos.

It's probably more common to have visible tattoos now, but people in their 30s & early 40s definitely have a lot of tattoos (especially their kids' names as mentioned).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Obdicut posted:

That link is a pro-click. Come for the straightforward explanation of an evolutionary concept, stay for the extended slapfight between academics in the comments. :allears:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Strudel Man posted:

Sure, the non-heritable component would be essentially random. But the fact that much of it is indeed heritable (up to 80% at adulthood) means that stupid people having more kids would indeed produce a downward evolutionary pressure, as the movie's premise suggests. The kids don't have to have exactly the parents' IQ for that to be true.

80% is the highest estimate based on the narrowest definitions of intelligence, and the effect wouldn't be flat, the way the movie suggests. There'd still be plenty of smart people.

Perestroika posted:

That link is a pro-click. Come for the straightforward explanation of an evolutionary concept, stay for the extended slapfight between academics in the comments. :allears:

Is it a fight about terminology? I didn't read comments (never read the comments) but those are the best. And actually that article is stupid, because it doesn't undrestand it's own premise. gently caress. Why is there so much bad science writing?

Screaming Idiot posted:

All measurements are bullshit, but IQ is definitely not a test of 'intelligence' it's a test of passing IQ tests.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

theres lots of bloopers that got left in black dynamite

How can you tell what's a blooper and what's a gag?

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well...no, remember Asians and Jews tend to score best on IQ tests.

That said trying to quantify intelligence on a single scale is ridiculous.

Jews tend to be upper-middle class white people...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All remaining bloopers are gags, but not all gags are bloopers.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not just a millennial thing--it's just more acceptable to have them these days. Just about everyone I run across on a daily basis has at least one tattoo. Hell, even my mother has two visible (albeit tiny) tattoos, and she was raised in a time when only bikers and grizzled old sailors got inked.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
In The Boondock Saints after the cafe scene Rocco goes tearing through his ex's apartment in a panic and the first thing he grabs to take on his escape is a clothes iron.

The same iron that comes in handy after the neighborhood shootout about two scenes later. A very small thing, but it was neat to notice.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not just a millennial thing--it's just more acceptable to have them these days. Just about everyone I run across on a daily basis has at least one tattoo. Hell, even my mother has two visible (albeit tiny) tattoos, and she was raised in a time when only bikers and grizzled old sailors got inked.

So was your mom a biker or a grizzled sailor?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Let's try to stay away from hurtful stereotypes please

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Obviously not every Jew in America is well off, but the median net wealth of Jewish Americans is still 4 times the national median.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Obdicut posted:

I will guess that she probably used to hang out a lot with them.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Obdicut posted:

A butcher, actually. Been in the profession since I was a kid. Which, of course, means she's touched fewer low-quality pieces of meat than your mom has

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Let's try to stay away from hurtful stereotypes please

Of my own ethnicity?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Of course, because you're internalizing racism then!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The type of people who put stock in IQ tend to not see Jews as white anyway, which was more my point.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Obdicut posted:

Wowie Zowie! Eugenics and justification of IQ tests in one post! In a thread about movies no less!

I had the highest IQ score evar when I was a grade schooler and the highest SAT my high school guidance teacher had seen. Didn't even study for the loving thing as I had zero ambition. When he asked where I was applying my response was "huh?"

I failed out of HS, slid into community college and slithered through a series of gullible women and poo poo jobs.

But these statistics matter, damnit! Ignore your BMI at your peril, citizen!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but how big's your dick?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

How can you tell what's a blooper and what's a gag?

the director, star/writer and bullhorn tell you on the commentary

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but how big's your dick?

Undetectable by modern science but I pray that one day its existence will be proven.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Obdicut posted:

the effect wouldn't be flat, the way the movie suggests. There'd still be plenty of smart people.
I'm really not following your logic. What do you mean by "wouldn't be flat," and why wouldn't a downward pressure on intelligence reduce the number of smart people (for a given level of 'smart?')

Screaming Idiot posted:

Nah. It's kinda like global warming, really - well-founded scientifically, but politicized enough that certain circles dismiss it out of hand.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 00:36 on Mar 18, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

syscall girl posted:

Undetectable by modern science but I pray that one day its existence will be proven.

lmao, they said the same thing about my Iq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Screaming Idiot posted:

No, it's just a type of test that specifically targets the logical/mathematical facet of intelligence.

It doesn't take into account things like spatial or musical intelligence, or any other kind of intelligence, for that matter.