Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Lady Naga posted:

Oh god the entrance animations get all hosed up if there isn't a ramp

I'm trying to think, with what I know of 3d animation, why this would be, and the only thing I can think is that they defined the position of parts of the character model against the entrance ramp, but not others, and I have no idea why you would do that? I mean it'd be a safe assumption that it wouldn't matter in normal gameplay, but it just seems so sloppy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm having real trouble defending anything in the clinch or on the ground. It's really difficult to just control the position and grind people a la Khabib.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

I beat Bruce Lee as Nick Diaz in like 75 seconds. It was nice. Then I learned that Classic Mike Tyson has no grappling. At all.

Yep. Armbarred the gently caress out of Iron Mike with Sakuraba once I realised that.

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm having real trouble defending anything in the clinch or on the ground. It's really difficult to just control the position and grind people a la Khabib.

It feels weird compared to last game, as if you can't defend against the whole motion, but only the beginning of the animation. So if you see them move to transition, it's already too late.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 17, 2016

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I mean I knew he wouldn't be Roger Gracie over here but I thought if you held L2 and pointed the right stick at the opponent Literally Anything would happen. But no, nothing happens. He can do a body lock against the cage, that's it. I am actually super happy about it. I didn't expect them to be that brave.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

How does Punk play?

And Tyson not having any grapple commands is hilarious. They should've at least given him an Ear Bite.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

How does Punk play?

And Tyson not having any grapple commands is hilarious. They should've at least given him an Ear Bite.

I went to a decision as Punk vs Conor. He seems fine, if a little sluggish in standup. One of his heavy takedowns is basically a belly-to-back suplex.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah Punk doesn't play very different than any Muai Thai primary/BJJ secondary guy would. I hoped they would give him the GTS or something.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I decided to buy ufc 2 on a whim even though I haven't played a ufc game since the ps2 days and I like what I'm playing so far. I like that they look super hosed up when you punch a guy a lot and grappling seems a lot easier than other ufc games. It's also giving me fight night Round 2 vibes which is great because that's one of the best fighting games of all time.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Huh, apparently the economy of a region in TEW2013 effects how likely a worker declares that he can start taking bookings there.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Cubone posted:

I'm trying to think, with what I know of 3d animation, why this would be, and the only thing I can think is that they defined the position of parts of the character model against the entrance ramp, but not others, and I have no idea why you would do that? I mean it'd be a safe assumption that it wouldn't matter in normal gameplay, but it just seems so sloppy

I checked again and CM Punk's is fine, it's only RVD that clips halfway into the floor at the ECW arena (he's fine again once he gets in the ring). I'll be importing both Hogans today probably so I'll see how that works.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
At least you can overight/replace the useless characters with better characters. I bet everybody gets rid of General Adnan.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I'm still hoping there's a way to restore moves, Hogan's not the same without being able to Hulk Up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's WWE Hall of Famer Legend Superstar Wrestler Employee person who was on tv General Adnan to you, buddy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

quote:

Mar 17: Screwed Up Endings

If a wrestler is injured during a match there is now the chance that the workers will 'call an audible', rebooking the finish of the match themselves on the fly. This doesn't happen often, but when it does it can lead to surprising booking changes that can throw a spanner in the works for a player.

Mar 17: Trademark Spots

Workers can now come up with brand new trademark spots (in matches) or new catchphrases (in angles). When this happens, you are informed on-screen via the road agent.

Trademark spots take multiple forms, including 'hope' spots for babyfaces and visually cool power spots for workers who are very strong. Debuting a new trademark spot gives the worker a one-off boost to one or more of their skills.

A new catchphrase, only available to workers with high charisma, gives the worker a one-off boost to his microphone skills.

Mar 17: Creative Meeting Change

The criteria for some of the sections of the Creative Meeting feature have been relaxed considerably for smaller companies; this stops them ending up with only one or two entries for some categories, as they were prone to do in TEW2013, thus making the feature more useful.

Some cool new additions

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm getting completely obliterated in Ultimate Team. I'm hoping it's a case of the game needing time to sort players into proper tiers.

Doing fine in career mode though, 8-0 all KOs

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I'm getting completely obliterated in Ultimate Team. I'm hoping it's a case of the game needing time to sort players into proper tiers.

Doing fine in career mode though, 8-0 all KOs

How are you liking the career mode? Is it as shallow as some reviews are saying?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've not played UFC 2, but if you're expecting anything more than Fight > Training minigames to get your stats up > Fight with some flavour to spice things up from a combat sports game career mode, you probably have unreasonable expectations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've not played UFC 2, but if you're expecting anything more than Fight > Training minigames to get your stats up > Fight with some flavour to spice things up from a combat sports game career mode, you probably have unreasonable expectations.

Yeah it's exactly that. Personally I don't mind it, but I wasn't expecting anything more.

Apparently the main issue is that it ends too soon. I can see that being the case, I'm only 10 matches in and my life bar is getting ever closer to the "retirement" point.

I just want a game where I can get into drunken brawls on TUF

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Oh no, I'm sad to hear it ends so early. I loved going 42-0 over 14 years in Undisputed 3. I'm still in TUF myself, playing as 205 Sakuraba. My main curiosity is about how I didn't get to declare a style, so I'm wondering how you get announced when you get to the big time. I guess if you train your hands a lot, they say you're a boxer?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh no, I'm sad to hear it ends so early. I loved going 42-0 over 14 years in Undisputed 3. I'm still in TUF myself, playing as 205 Sakuraba. My main curiosity is about how I didn't get to declare a style, so I'm wondering how you get announced when you get to the big time. I guess if you train your hands a lot, they say you're a boxer?

Does it not let you edit that if you import someone? If you make a character from scratch, you go into the stat editor and it lets you pick from 8 or so presets.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Does it not let you edit that if you import someone? If you make a character from scratch, you go into the stat editor and it lets you pick from 8 or so presets.

Now I'm a huge moron, so I may have just missed something, but even when I made a custom dude for Career, I thought it had a little popup before showing me my stats that said everyone starts with the same stats and you just trained as you went on. If I could have just pressed L1 and been a Muay Thai player instead of Interchangeable Wrestleboxer 398, then I'll feel like a chump.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Now I'm a huge moron, so I may have just missed something, but even when I made a custom dude for Career, I thought it had a little popup before showing me my stats that said everyone starts with the same stats and you just trained as you went on. If I could have just pressed L1 and been a Muay Thai player instead of Interchangeable Wrestleboxer 398, then I'll feel like a chump.

Feel like a chump, I'm afraid. That's exactly what you do.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Rad! I'll restart my career then. I don't know how I missed that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
In Ultimate Team, you get cards every time you make a new fighter. Is there anything stopping you from just deleting fighters and making new ones to get more cards for your collection?

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Took some time away and came back today with different mind set. S till losing but now they are really close matches and when I do lose I understand why I lost.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
You only get 5 starter packs. Each one relates to the weight class of the fighter you just made, so you could get 5 heavyweight packs in no time, for example, but after that you have to use the in-game currency to buy new card packs.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Skjorte posted:

You only get 5 starter packs. Each one relates to the weight class of the fighter you just made, so you could get 5 heavyweight packs in no time, for example, but after that you have to use the in-game currency to buy new card packs.

Ohhh ok, thanks!

Is using cards the only way to recover Fitness? Or does it come back over time?

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Ohhh ok, thanks!

Is using cards the only way to recover Fitness? Or does it come back over time?

I THINK you have to spend cards to recover fitness, but I'm not sure. Didn't seem like anyone on my roster had recovered today. If they did, it can't have been by more than 10 points in half a day. You can buy a 1500-coin boost pack if you're running low, but I feel like I have a pretty good amount already just by playing and buying the 'real' packs, so I don't know if it's something that'll be necessary for a while.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Oh my god that was amazing. Was fighting against Bruce Lee and got him in Thai clinch against the cage. Three strikes later and his leg went through the cage and he was hanging by it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think I've said it about loads of different games but forced retirements or whatever in career modes in WWE/MMA games bugs me.

If I want to train myself to be 100/100 in all stats, aged 99 because the counter doesn't go to 100 and have a 1023-0 record taking on Robbie Lawler for the 49th time at UFC 3084, then it should let me.

Just make it so characters who go over a certain amount of total stats that no official fighter in the game can have can't be used for online play.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

I think I've said it about loads of different games but forced retirements or whatever in career modes in WWE/MMA games bugs me.

If I want to train myself to be 100/100 in all stats, aged 99 because the counter doesn't go to 100 and have a 1023-0 record taking on Robbie Lawler for the 49th time at UFC 3084, then it should let me.

Just make it so characters who go over a certain amount of total stats that no official fighter in the game can have can't be used for online play.

I haven't tried any of the single player modes, but I'd be surprised if any of the skills you attain in career mode could carry over into online play. Which of course makes the apparently way-too-early forced retirements even dumber.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Fight Night 4 was pretty good about that, like eventually they retire you but I think my guy ended up with a 63-1 record or something like that. The only bad thing is that I was in camp for 1 more fight and the commission revoked my license 2 weeks before the fight :argh:

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Ultimate Team is probably the coolest thing in this game and really helps it to rise above the previous iteration. Online play has been flawless so far and when I lose I really know why. Still haven't figured out a good counter to people that just want to take me down and clinch a ton though, I don't quite get why when trying to transition from bottom my transition options just disappear, is that when I'm supposed to be holding RT and fighting the other person's transition?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

The conspiracy is that they made career mode short to funnel people into Ultimate Team, where the IAP lives.

But career mode was apparently the same in UFC 1 without the UT mode, so it's probably not so malicious.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

triplexpac posted:

The conspiracy is that they made career mode short to funnel people into Ultimate Team, where the IAP lives.

But career mode was apparently the same in UFC 1 without the UT mode, so it's probably not so malicious.

It took longer to get forced into retirement in UFC 1's career but yeah they're about the same.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

I don't quite get why when trying to transition from bottom my transition options just disappear, is that when I'm supposed to be holding RT and fighting the other person's transition?

When your transition options disappear, it's because your opponent has already finished their transition. There's a sort of invisible momentum meter at play, which is why you might wonder why you were able to transition back to guard before they mounted you 30 seconds ago, but not this time around. Same idea applies to the clinch. Denying transitions and/or landing punches will put the momentum back on your side, allowing you to do more time-consuming transitions like taking their back from bottom half guard, getting into kesa gatama from side control, etc.

Remember you'll never actually see the "defend" prompt when holding R2 like you do in the tutorial mode. You also can't hold the right stick preemptively like in the last game; you have to flick it in the right direction quite precisely. It's super difficult.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The UFC 2 career mode is a lot more strict about damage--not just because you can take less of it before retirement but because unlike UFC 1 passing various total damage thresholds makes you more injury-prone and makes it take longer to raise stats, which in turn makes it harder to fight the top dudes without getting hosed up more. Kind of neat, kind of a pain.

Also, even as I gradually understand it better I'm coming to really dislike the grappling, in part because it seems the AI doesn't play by the same reaction/stamina loss rules you do, mostly because it really, really disincentivizes holding positions. It's a lot harder to Fitch dudes now.

Oh, and I gave up on WWE 2k16's areer mode because holy poo poo what an awful slog. I didn't think they could make it worse than 2k15's.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, gently caress the UFC 2 AI. Playing career with a lady bantam, and every god-drat prelim chick is A) a loving Amazon at the max height and reach for the division, and B) will not even try to fight. Like, they just run the hell away if you go near them.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah I'm going to have to practice as actual guys before I play career. I sit here and throw combos and knees and such at the TUF qualifier match dude for two minutes and he gets like to the second level of head redness then he liver kicks me once and I'm rocked. Also as mentioned grappling the AI is basically impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Hey so, people who have EA UFC 2

On the start screen before you go into the menu, hit up up down down left right left right O X Options to unlock Joe Rogan