Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Motto posted:

I knew XSEED wasn't going to cut content of their own volition, but I was curious about what Falcom's stance was with regards to future releases of 3rd.

Well, as far as I know it still happened. When it gets brought up again in Zero, it downplays that aspect for the more drug related and political side of what happened but it still happened. There's even a drama CD which covers that door, presumably for PSP players who missed out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

having seen the original scene, I think people are kinda overblowing it. The implications are incredibly hosed up but nothing explicit is shown or described or anything, all you get is third hand implications and Joshua and Leonhardt being disgusted. . Iunno about the CERO rating, but it's the kind of thing you could totally get away with in a T game. Heck, I've seen it gotten away with in T games.

yeah I was expecting something way more crass from the way people talked about it. I think falcom aims for cero B which isn't that high so that's mostly it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

yeah I was expecting something way more crass from the way people talked about it. I think falcom aims for cero B which isn't that high so that's mostly it
Yeah, Cero B is equivalent to an E10+ in the US, so - yeah, no surprise they'd cut it. Trails games are probably on the cusp between B and C, considering.

quote:

Cero B - Contains some content parents may not like for children under the age of 12. May contain mild sexual content, some violence, or infrequent use of profanity.

quote:

Cero C - Some content may be inappropriate for children under the age of 15. May contain moderate sexual content, more violence, or more frequent use of profanity.

I really doubt the scene was so awful they needed to cut it just to not get a Z, it's probably more likely that the scene was enough to make them worry it'd tip them over the edge from B to C.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Endorph posted:

having seen the original scene, I think people are kinda overblowing it. The implications are incredibly hosed up but nothing explicit is shown or described or anything, all you get is third hand implications and Joshua and Leonhardt being disgusted. . Iunno about the CERO rating, but it's the kind of thing you could totally get away with in a T game. Heck, I've seen it gotten away with in T games.

I think the biggest problem is the CG honestly. It doesn't really leave much to the imagination, unlike all the vague implications.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the descriptions of this without context probably make it sound a lot worse than it probably is. Without having seen said CG it sounds like a weird rape scene or something.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though speaking of Tom's statement:

quote:

Nothing is being edited out or removed. In fact, as others have said, I believe Sara will even be attempting to add the previously PSP-exclusive elements to the PC release -- though of course, nothing can be guaranteed there, especially at this early stage. It's just sort of an idea/goal at this point.
what are the PSP features he's referring to?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly the descriptions of this without context probably make it sound a lot worse than it probably is. Without having seen said CG it sounds like a weird rape scene or something.

Major 3rd spoilers ahoy.

You're basically right. To be more exact, it's child prostitution and the CG shows her scars on her legs which she inflicted on herself to stay sane.

Motto posted:

Though speaking of Tom's statement:

what are the PSP features he's referring to?

I think there were minor balance changes? That's about all I can think of though.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The series has sold 350K overall too. Not too shabby for a niche series and a small publisher. It just doesn't seem like a lot because AAA publishers like Square-Enix have grossly inflated expectations where a game which sells 4 million is deemed a failure.

That's good. I'm glad that I am a fan of this niche series instead of i dunno, Phantasy Star or another niche series whose localization is up in the air. Xseed is committed in localizing this seed, I mean we're definitely getting a Trails game this year and another one next year. That's exciting.

Also, I don't have a gaming PC/Laptop but since this is an older game, I hope that the minimum is low enough to run on my work laptop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's about sexual assault/forced prostitution, but it isn't really a 'scene.' You don't actually see or read about any of it going down directly, just how the characters invovled deal with it and react to it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

davidHalestorm posted:

That's good. I'm glad that I am a fan of this niche series instead of i dunno, Phantasy Star or another niche series whose localization is up in the air. Xseed is committed in localizing this seed, I mean we're definitely getting a Trails game this year and another one next year. That's exciting.

Also, I don't have a gaming PC/Laptop but since this is an older game, I hope that the minimum is low enough to run on my work laptop

Yeah, it's a 2007 game with the same graphics as one from 2004 and meant to run on Japanese PCs besides, so there shouldn't be an issue.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The psp version added some quartz and I think gear. Nothing major like SCs new playable characters

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Though yeah, that door is kind of overblown. Even if it was to be removed, there's plenty of other messed up stuff in 3rd. It's pretty easily the darkest game in this series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You're basically right. To be more exact, it's child prostitution and the CG shows her scars on her legs which she inflicted on herself to stay sane.

Endorph posted:

It's about sexual assault/forced prostitution, but it isn't really a 'scene.' You don't actually see or read about any of it going down directly, just how the characters invovled deal with it and react to it.

That sounds pretty grim but I've got enough faith in Trails that it probably handles it well enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's grim, but also handled decently, imo. i don't think it was necessarily needed for the story they're trying to tell but they dedicate a decent amount of time to the actual ramifications of it and it doesn't feel like it was added for pure shock value.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Endorph posted:

poo poo, this series got dark fast.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

Trails the 3rd confirmed

Hell yeah, couple days late for my birthday but very appreciated nonetheless, Xseed!

Cold Steel II screenshots look neat too. Sharon's S-craft looks amazing, and I guess there are dual crafts now? They had those in Zero/Ao didn't they?

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Well, Trails games always had a hint of darkness, I think. I mean, Joshua's backstory is pretty loving dark, so is Agate and Scheherazade to a lesser extent.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Trails 3rd Chapter?! gently caress yes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Some Numbers posted:

Trails 3rd Chapter?! gently caress yes.

Finally you get your permanent party member Anelace!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Finally you get your permanent party member Anelace!

My avatar will become relevant in another year!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

My avatar will become relevant in another year!

She's actually really good to use in battle too once you do a certain sidequest and get a certain sword for her.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

She's actually really good to use in battle too once you do a certain sidequest and get a certain sword for her.

Pretty much anyone with an AT Delay craft is going to be super good, no matter what.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Falcom really has in a way created a bit of a mess for being a fan of their games.

Like so many of their titles are on one platform and not the other.

I can play Ys Origin, the definitive version of YsVI, and soon the final entry of Trails in the Sky on PC, but on Playstation consoles or handhelds.
I can play Ys VII and Memories of Celceta on Playstation handhelds but not Playstation consoles or PC.
I can play Trails in the Sky on PC and Playstation handhelds but not on Playstation consoles.
I can play Trails in Cold Steel and Ys VII on Playstation handhelds and Playstation consoles, but not on PC.

Zaggitz posted:

just plug your pc into your tv with an hdmi cable and pretend its a console game.

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/708366699485986816

please put this in the op a million times.

This is what I do. Can't imagine playing PC games any other way to be honest.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is what I do. Can't imagine playing PC games any other way to be honest.

With a 22' monitor connected via an HDMI cable.

That's how I played Cold Steel.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

With a 22' monitor connected via an HDMI cable.

That's how I played Cold Steel.

...eww....

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Falcom really has in a way created a bit of a mess for being a fan of their games.

Like so many of their titles are on one platform and not the other.

I can play Ys Origin, the definitive version of YsVI, and soon the final entry of Trails in the Sky on PC, but on Playstation consoles or handhelds.
I can play Ys VII and Memories of Celceta on Playstation handhelds but not Playstation consoles or PC.
I can play Trails in the Sky on PC and Playstation handhelds but not on Playstation consoles.
I can play Trails in Cold Steel and Ys VII on Playstation handhelds and Playstation consoles, but not on PC.

yes, they did in fact switch from making games for one platform to making them for a different one

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People getting pissy over 3rd being PC-only. :cripes:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Colonel posted:

yes, they did in fact switch from making games for one platform to making them for a different one

What's even more confusing is that there games sell better on PC overseas than they do on handheld. I wonder if Falcom will begin to move to an engine that is more multiplatform friendly so their games can release on multiple platform from the get go.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's even more confusing is that there games sell better on PC overseas than they do on handheld. I wonder if Falcom will begin to move to an engine that is more multiplatform friendly so their games can release on multiple platform from the get go.

Ironically, supposedly the Cold Steel games --- the ones that aren't available on PC --- actually use PhyreEngine, which supports PC along with Sony's platforms...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks posted:

i imagine that's because falcom never really imagined they'd have a western audience in the first place. after all, ys games only started getting released on steam in 2012, and it took a while for them to build up the momentum they have now since then. i don't know if they'll try and support pc releases again for fanbases outside of japan, but that would be rad

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
PC gaming is pretty much stone dead in Japan outside of like doujin games, westaboo imports, and touhou stuff (so doujin games). Mobile has strangled it more and more over the last decade and change. If a Japanese company does a PC release in TYOOL 2016 it's pretty much to appeal to the western demographic.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

PC gaming is pretty much stone dead in Japan outside of like doujin games, westaboo imports, and touhou stuff (so doujin games). Mobile has strangled it more and more over the last decade and change. If a Japanese company does a PC release in TYOOL 2016 it's pretty much to appeal to the western demographic.

Even some PS4 versions of games exist mainly for the West. Heck, it's literally the only reason Tales of Zestiria has one.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Falcom's last PC only game which I believe was Zwei II, sold so abysmally that they pretty much had to jump ship to Sony platforms to make a profit. This was before anyone even thought of putting Japanese games on Steam at all, nevermind JRPGs and also before XSEED partnered with Falcom to publish their titles. Before then, the western Falcom fanbase had to deal with botched localizations by Bandai, a functional yet weird PS2 port of Ark of Napishtim by Konami, old Hudson Soft ports on the Turbografx, a console that never particularly took off and Nightwolve's antics for fantranslations.

No doubt Ys VIII (and possibly Cold Steel 3) coming to PS4 was Falcom trying to appeal to the west.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Woop for Third.

And frankly just as much for what that implies about their business as about the actual game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Beat Ys: Memories of Celceta.

While I in one way enjoy the direction the series went as it is what I initially imaged the series to be, a hybrid action RPG/JRPG, the game as a whole is pretty so-so and forgettable. It's kind of sad because I really enjoyed the focus on exploration toward the beginning of the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I like Celceta but I still think Dawn of Ys is the better Ys IV, even if it's the furthest one removed from canon since before Celceta existed, Falcom considered Mask of the Sun to be the canonical game for God knows what reason. Celceta also had a lot of the same problems Seven did, but Seven in my opinion had a more interesting story and some good twists to it which you wouldn't expect from an Ys game and made up for it.

I still think Ark of Napishtim did exploration the best, even if the gameplay hasn't aged too well with the backtracking, balance issues, needing to use dash jumping to progress, limewater cave being a pain to navigate etc.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/709760320198320129

There's some tentative release dates in those amazon links, and some hints as to some of the new gameplay elements of 2 that I'm really excited about.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

There's some tentative release dates in those amazon links, and some hints as to some of the new gameplay elements of 2 that I'm really excited about.

One of the screenshots that XSeed tweeting (which is also on the Amazon page) shows Rean's ARCUS and it looks like it'll have the same upgrade system as Sky SC.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you're in the EU (including the UK), Cold Steel is currently nearly 50% off.

Also, Celceta and SC are 30% off, FC is 50% off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Finally finished Trails in the Sky the first. That's quite the cliffhanger!