Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
So... Yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Like I said, it depends. If you don't care about blowing speakers or destroying transformers, go ahead without checking the impedance.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Check the impedance, there's no other way besides possibly blowing speakers. You're just checking a number. If you're worried you can come back and tell us the number and we'll say if it's okay.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The 66 Bassman head has a 4 Ohm output transformer (125A13A). Apparently you can also safely run a single 8 Ohm load off one of its parallel-wired outputs (and lose some output), but the optimal situation would be a single 4 Ohm load, or a pair of 8 Ohm loads. I'd be willing to bet that the matching cab with original speakers and wiring would probably be impedance-matched to the head, but without knowing how it's wired or what's in it, it's hard to say for sure. The CR120 apparently wants to be hooked up to one or two 16 Ohm loads, or a single 8 Ohm load. You do NOT want to hook an amp up to a cab with lower than recommended impedance, that will likely damage the output transformer on the amp, if not more. Given that the stock blackface Bassman cab is almost certainly lower impedance than your CR120 head, I would definitely not hook it up without first checking the impedance to see how it's really going to load your amp.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yes...but you may have to make it work. If you don't have a meter, you'll want to pop the back off and see what's inside, along with how it's wired. The individual speakers should have the impedance somewhere on them, even it's just a factory stamp next to some other giberish. Look for the Ω symbol if you don't see the word "ohm."

As for how they're wired, remember that parallel HALVES the impedance (most common in a 212) and series ADDS the impedance. So two 8 ohm speakers in parallel is a 4 ohm load, and in series is a 16 ohm load. How do you tell?

In parallel, the input wire USUALLY goes to the (+) and (-) on one speaker, and those are connected to the (+) and (-) on the next speaker. There are some other goofy ways to achieve it, but this is what you'll almost always see in a 212.

In series, the (+) and (-) from the input are connected to the terminals on TWO speakers, with another wire connecting the remaining terminals.

Of course, this is assuming both speakers are connected and working. If one is removed from a parallel circuit by being disconnected or dying, the remaining speaker will run at its original impedance. In a series circuit, the whole thing will shut down.

It looks like the CR120 has a minimum of 8 ohms... so if your cabinet is wired at 4 in parallel, you should rewire it to run at 16 in series (or unplug one of the speakers). If it's already at 8, you're golden.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Schpyder posted:

The 66 Bassman head has a 4 Ohm output transformer (125A13A). Apparently you can also safely run a single 8 Ohm load off one of its parallel-wired outputs (and lose some output), but the optimal situation would be a single 4 Ohm load, or a pair of 8 Ohm loads. I'd be willing to bet that the matching cab with original speakers and wiring would probably be impedance-matched to the head, but without knowing how it's wired or what's in it, it's hard to say for sure. The CR120 apparently wants to be hooked up to one or two 16 Ohm loads, or a single 8 Ohm load. You do NOT want to hook an amp up to a cab with lower than recommended impedance, that will likely damage the output transformer on the amp, if not more. Given that the stock blackface Bassman cab is almost certainly lower impedance than your CR120 head, I would definitely not hook it up without first checking the impedance to see how it's really going to load your amp.

Sometimes you saw older Fender cabs wired at 8, so people could :rock: the sock hop with two cabs.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

After The War posted:

Sometimes you saw older Fender cabs wired at 8, so people could :rock: the sock hop with two cabs.

The only consistent thing about Fender was how inconsistent they were.

Coryne
Aug 20, 2008
Does anyone know if it would be safe to plug the effects loop out on my valve amp into an irig HD going into an iPad ?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Coryne posted:

Does anyone know if it would be safe to plug the effects loop out on my valve amp into an irig HD going into an iPad ?

You should be fine.

Coryne
Aug 20, 2008
Cheers. I tried it and it sounded pretty good using Bias to emulate the power amp and cab.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I successfully transplanted the Champ and added a 3-band tone stack. Sounds pretty good and the Jensen C10Q is a pretty good match.

I was originally gonna have a switch turn the tone stack on and off but then realized that this requires me to either have a second volume pot for that or have it be separate from the volume and always max. I did have a spare pot around that would have worked but in the end decided that one knob operation is kinda pretty loving dumb so I just took the switch out and that's what that little bit of electrical tape in the front is covering. Also I forgot to get proper fasteners to attach the chassis cover so it's also held on with electrical tape so that the plate and chassis actually stay together so I don't misplace the loving plate before I get the fasteners.

Actually removing the old speaker from that cabinet was the hardest part because the nuts were sort of epoxied on there so I had to slowly twist them to break past where the epoxy was and also there was some corrosion and it was a pain in my butt.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Shugojin posted:

I successfully transplanted the Champ and added a 3-band tone stack. Sounds pretty good and the Jensen C10Q is a pretty good match.

Nice! Is this a new production C10Q?

Did you wire the FMV tone stack in the typical fender way, capacitor to the junction of the top and bottom wipers of the two adjacent pots, or capacitor to wiper way?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's a new production, and I went standard Fender tone stack wiring. The whole set up has a nice slightly compressed clean tone to my ears.

E: supposedly the speaker will break in and sound ~very vintage~ according to internet bluesdads but even now it sounds pretty good

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 28, 2016

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Sica-made Jensens are painfully ice-picky and brittle, and take forever to break-in. I like the Blackbird series of speakers they're doing now though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a bizarre request for anyone that knows about schematics and stuff (I do not!). Basically, I have a hunch that the "Thick" circuit for the Night Train is the same as the "Normal" channel for the AC15 or 30. Just because comparing the two they have the same pre-amp breakup point and react so similarly. The "Bright" channel stays clean for days and only starts breaking up right at the end of the gain level, but I swear the Thick and Normal circuits are the same, especially since they both have two controls plus the Tonecut to control them (AC15 has "Volume/MV" and NT has "Gain/MV" so basically the same thing).

I'm not going anywhere with this, I just have a suspicion that they're either the same, or really dang close. It's bothering me so I was wondering if anyone could give me closure!

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
The story I've heard is that it is quite literally just the tone circuit taken out of the signal path. The reason it breaks up sooner is that the signal isn't being filtered through the variety of pots, caps, and resistors that make up the tone stack.

I've also heard that the Night Train is based off of the "normal circuit" in a AC15; but considering how the bright it can sound I wouldn't be surprised if there are some changes. But most of this I can't remember where I heard this from, and I've never looked at the circuit of a Night Train so I would take all of this with a generous helping of salt.

Edit: nvm, I forgot you had the bigger version. I am basing all of this on the 15w version; I don't really know much about it's big brother.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 8, 2016

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
No no, that's applicable. I was working on the assumption that the Thick mode was the Normal circuit from an AC15, and the bright channel was that with added EQ options. It likely differs but that was the guess I was making, just because of the similarities.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I inherited a Fender Deluxe 90 DSP.

I hate it and think it's stupid.

What should I replace it with instead? Pairing with a Fender Strat (Clapton edition) for bluesdad /classic rock.

I'm a bedroom hero, at best.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
What's your budget? And do you need a headphone output?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Captain Apollo posted:

I inherited a Fender Deluxe 90 DSP.

I hate it and think it's stupid.

What should I replace it with instead? Pairing with a Fender Strat (Clapton edition) for bluesdad /classic rock.

I'm a bedroom hero, at best.

Vox AC4 would be my choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlcMgnWw5Bg

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

looking for an amp for my rickenbacker 4001. there's an ampeg gemini for 700 at the local store, can probably get it to 650. how do those compare to b-15s? should i spring for either or go with an old fender? looking for something with a lot of drive, like an old sunn but i just can't find one

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Can someone give me a quick comparison and offer a recommendation between a Peavey Valveking 112 combo and a Peavey Super 40 XXX combo? And in lieu of either Peavey, would a Blackstar HT5R 1x12 be a better buy?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Carl Seitan posted:

Can someone give me a quick comparison and offer a recommendation between a Peavey Valveking 112 combo and a Peavey Super 40 XXX combo? And in lieu of either Peavey, would a Blackstar HT5R 1x12 be a better buy?

The Valveking is excellent for cleans. For a while, there was a whole community of guys in Ultimate Guitar who were obsessed with modding' the poo poo out of the Valveking combos (both the 112 and 212) to make them Metal-ready and I found it hilarious. Like, if you wanted a metal sound, why didn't you go for the 6505? The Super 40 has a bunch of functional, on-board effects that are a good bang for your buck, but don't expect too much out of them. Rhythm channel is good.

So, it depends on what you want: The Valveking is excellent for cleans but the OD can be kinda iffy (disto, OD and boost pedals do work wonders on the guy, though). The Super 40 has is more or less an all-rounder with some effects, but doesn't do one thing beyond "acceptable"or "good". Never tried that particular Blackstar, so I can't give you any tips on that.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

That ac4 does seem really epic actually.

I went and A/B'd a blues Jr. and a bassbreaker 15. Really loved the bassbreaker for some reason

I'll wait for a non Saturday to go to the local Vox place and see what they have.

Max budget around 700.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

So while we're answering questions: I've got too many things to buy, but I'm looking for another lust object. What's everyone's current favorite two channel el34 amp between 30 and 100 watts? I've been thinking about multi amp setups and wet/dry rigs lately...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Octatonic posted:

So while we're answering questions: I've got too many things to buy, but I'm looking for another lust object. What's everyone's current favorite two channel el34 amp between 30 and 100 watts? I've been thinking about multi amp setups and wet/dry rigs lately...

The one I've been rocking for this tour is the Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25 head. Now, I know that doesn't meet your wattage needs (it can change between 10 and 25 watts at most), but the fucker can push air. I actually tried to run it through a 4x12, but that got kicked in the head for being too loud, so I've been using an Orange 2x12 closed back cabinet.

The other guitar player DOES have a Multi Amp setup and he uses a Mark V 35 head with a Zilla Fatboy 2x12 for his filthy (but pedal-free) tones and an Orange TH30 combo for cleans.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, our boss started playing some guitar on the second half of the tour and she started using a Soldano Astroverb head, which is a 20-watt head and I honestly do not know why, but I am getting that head from her when this tour is over because HOLY CRAP.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

looking for an amp for my rickenbacker 4001. there's an ampeg gemini for 700 at the local store, can probably get it to 650. how do those compare to b-15s? should i spring for either or go with an old fender? looking for something with a lot of drive, like an old sunn but i just can't find one

Ampeg Gemini would be a poor choice as it's an open back combo. I'm partial to the new Fender Rumble series for gigging for wattage to weight ratio. The built-in overdrive isn't terrible, either. If you're looking for tube maybe a used Ampeg cab and a Peavey Windsor? Would get plenty of grind.

Carl Seitan posted:

From the standpoint of maintenance and repair I would go with the Valve King. They do have some design issues, but I don't see them as often as other Peavey tube offerings. Avoid anything Blackstar. They use surface mount micro resistors and most techs are not set up to handle SMT, so when it's out of warranty and dies you are either looking at a costly repair or an expensive doorstop.

no dad im not gay! fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 24, 2016

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Captain Apollo posted:

That ac4 does seem really epic actually.

I went and A/B'd a blues Jr. and a bassbreaker 15. Really loved the bassbreaker for some reason

Max budget around 700.

If you can, see if you can try a Peavey Classic 30. I haven't heard the Bassbreaker yet, but I know it blows the Blues Jr out of the water. Their Delta Blues is similar, but with more speaker coverage, so it may be too much "oomph", despite technically being the same power.

I also rather like the Crate V-series, if you can find them. Leaves you with pedal money. :getin:

After The War fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 24, 2016

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Octatonic posted:

Hovercraft Caribou is really nice, if you want DOOM TONES.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Abel Wingnut posted:

What kind of drive are you looking for? The model-t saturated tube type is going to be expensive and an old Fender won't really give it to you. I played a dual showman setup for a while and it was alright, but not great.

If you like the old solid state type grind it's easy enough in my opinion to get it from a pedal. The Rusty Box is very very good at that sound and then you can run it into whatever amp you got. I've got both a Rickenbacker and an old Sunn Beta Bass and would recommend the Rusty Box over the Sunn unless the amp could be found real cheap.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Rusty Box is great. Apparently it's the preamplifier from a Traynor TS50B, or at least, something very similar. I've used one for a long time with my bass rig which consisted of just an early eighties p-bass, a tuner, a rusty box, and an early SVT. Also sounds pretty good with guitar, too.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Mate of mines Marshall with custom made casing, really nice and perfect finish, he's having a matching cab done as well

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
So our lead guitarist is bowing out of the band for a bit, but we have 60 shows, west coast, east coast, in the next few months. So do we go as a Guitar, Bass, Drum three piece? NO! I moved to lead guitar and now were using my bass amp for guitars. I'm playing out of a Rockerverb 50 and 6x12, and the OB-1 and 4x10. Stage left guitar is Dual Dark, 4x12, 2x15 and the 2x15 from the bass cab through the other OB-1. Running two pedal chains for both of us, Bass big muff for me, and a POG with Soulfood for the other guitar. Sounding heavy as gently caress, and it's been fun to move back to lead guitar. Doomy as all hell.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm surprised venues are left standing after a set through that lot, that's awesome.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Mate of mines Marshall with custom made casing, really nice and perfect finish, he's having a matching cab done as well

I think it looks kinda cool? I'm more of a "natural wood" for guitars kinda guy. Still pretty cool! :)

Pokey Araya posted:

So our lead guitarist is bowing out of the band for a bit, but we have 60 shows, west coast, east coast, in the next few months. So do we go as a Guitar, Bass, Drum three piece? NO! I moved to lead guitar and now were using my bass amp for guitars. I'm playing out of a Rockerverb 50 and 6x12, and the OB-1 and 4x10. Stage left guitar is Dual Dark, 4x12, 2x15 and the 2x15 from the bass cab through the other OB-1. Running two pedal chains for both of us, Bass big muff for me, and a POG with Soulfood for the other guitar. Sounding heavy as gently caress, and it's been fun to move back to lead guitar. Doomy as all hell.

You're out of your loving mind. In the best kind of way :allears:

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Loud and proud, my friend has been asking for video of guitar through the bass amp/cab, I'll post it here when I'm done with it.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Pokey Araya posted:

whats your project?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pokey Araya posted:

So is it really true that every bassist is just a guitarist willing to compromise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

peter gabriel posted:

As much as I love the clean new look please post pictures of this rig in the next few years after the eventual wear and tear. It's going to age in the best way I swear.

Pokey Araya posted:

Pictures with this much Orange make me feel what my dog must feel when she sees a big hunk of chicken. Absolutely wonderful. Keep doing what you're doing and enjoy every second of it man.