Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Knyteguy posted:

Hey I guess this is a good time to bring it up: My wife is going back to college to try to learn some skillz that will pay better. Classes with an "A" grade are recompensed by her work full, "B" is 50%. She had like a 3.75 GPA when she graduated university though so she'll do well. We're looking at probably Fall of this year for her to start classes. Just a heads up so it doesn't surprise anyone in 4-5 months.

What's your plan for the family to handle your therapy, a growing kid, two separate jobs, and your wife going back to college?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

What's your plan for the family to handle your therapy, a growing kid, two separate jobs, and your wife going back to college?

Eh I'll do what I can to help, and it's just one remedial online class to start. And we've both taken it before (me twice since math credits expire), so I can probably lend a hand for help if she needs it. 3 credits per full semester should be pretty easy for the family to manage. The only time that needs to be cut will be TV time. Time invested now for a professional job should pay itself back with dividends later. Even if it goes nowhere and she ends up being happy where she's at, then there's no detriment to getting more education.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 10, 2016

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Knyteguy posted:

Eh I'll do what I can to help, and it's just one remedial online class to start. And we've both taken it before (me twice since math credits expire), so I can probably lend a hand for help if she needs it. 3 credits per full semester should be pretty easy for the family to manage. The only time that needs to be cut will be TV time. We figure it's investing time now that should come back to her and us in the future.

TV time is break time.

What's your plan for the family to handle your therapy, a growing kid, two separate jobs, and your wife going back to college, all while reducing the amount of time she has to decompress and relax?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

bringer posted:

TV time is break time.

What's your plan for the family to handle your therapy, a growing kid, two separate jobs, and your wife going back to college, all while reducing the amount of time she has to decompress and relax?

Caught me in an edit.

Well as I said I'll do what I can to help. I can take over cooking some dinners she would usually cook, and some of her chores for her while classes are going on. That should be enough to start, and if she gets into something that involves crunching and a lot of study time, then I'll just act like a single dad would. I'm 100% supportive of this, so whatever I can do is what I'll do. Hopefully the work will enable her to get a job doing something that pays more. She's got one of the best work ethics I've ever seen, so I'm certain this will work if she dedicates herself.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What if the dog needs 6000 dollar surgery.

Why is the 3 hour semester class so easily manageable but going to therapy tomorrow isn't?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

What if the dog needs 6000 dollar surgery.

Why is the 3 hour semester class so easily manageable but going to therapy tomorrow isn't?

A 3 hour semester class that is online; if there were a therapist I could see at 8:00pm who makes house calls I would start tomorrow. I set a timeline to begin some therapy stuff, that's when I'll do it.

I don't think that, for at least one of her legs, that's an "if", but instead a when. But a single college class shouldn't derail that.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Knyteguy posted:

A 3 hour semester class that is online; if there were a therapist I could see at 8:00pm who makes house calls I would start tomorrow. I set a timeline to begin some therapy stuff, that's when I'll do it.

I don't think that, for at least one of her legs, that's an "if", but instead a when. But a single college class shouldn't derail that.

Have you looked for a therapist who conducts sessions over Skype the way someone way up thread suggested?

No? Well, have you called any therapist offices to find out if they do off-hour counselling? No? Well, what have you done?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

What if there was a therapist 10 minutes away who made 8pm calls?

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Veskit posted:

Knyteguy posted:

Eh I'll do what I can to help, and it's just one remedial online class to start. And we've both taken it before (me twice since math credits expire), so I can probably lend a hand for help if she needs it. 3 credits per full semester should be pretty easy for the family to manage. The only time that needs to be cut will be TV time. Time invested now for a professional job should pay itself back with dividends later. Even if it goes nowhere and she ends up being happy where she's at, then there's no detriment to getting more education.

I almost cut your quote down to just "Eh" Knyte, but seriously. Veskits question is so, so important (and done so succinctly. It's great). Your son is just turning 1 right? Lot of milestones coming up, and you've already given "Wanting more time with son and wife" as a reason to skip therapy. You need a LOT of contingency plans, emergency comforts, and resources like baby sitters and friends to visit. Plan for the worst. Can you not easily see that if a semester is long and hard a finals week where your wife is studying and you're supposed to be cooking but your boy gets fussy could break you and get you going out to restaurants all week? That seems eminently feasible.

Plan. Plan plan plan. Plan the boring stuff and then have fun planning emergency date night ideas with your wife. Plan.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Knyteguy posted:

Oh man what a missed opportunity! Now it will be expected.

Cornholio did it better. And by "it", I mean everything in his thread.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

Cornholio did it better. And by "it", I mean everything in his thread.

Good for Cornholio?

e: nevermind

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 14, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Couple updates: Finally made the $1750 debt payment to the car. We're at $14900 on that now. Already have April's additional minimum funded so we'll be around $14,200 minimum after that and the next payment goes through. The interest due keeps going down, so we're making a nice dent with the minimum monthly and the additional principals.

Checked out some online therapy stuff none of the ones i could find accept my insurance. It's anthem BlueCross BlueShield so I don't know.

Applied for a credit limit increase on my us bank credit card. From $300 to $1500. I'm expecting less but we'll see.

The $21,000 medical debt was removed from my TransUnion report. I'll know if it's off all 3 bureaus the first week of April. I double checked the statute of limitations and it should still be spring next year that we're no longer liable.

Budget is good. Went shopping yesterday on an ad we got and we stocked up on butter, cheese, and snacks 5 for $1.99. Should be good on that stuff for a long while. It's a small overall savings but hey.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Have you checked with the two major places with psychiatric practices in town?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Applied for a credit limit increase on my us bank credit card. From $300 to $1500. I'm expecting less but we'll see.

Uhhh why?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

High credit availability is a Good Thing.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Have you checked with the two major places with psychiatric practices in town?

Not yet. That's why I strategically gave myself until May 1st. I want to explore the easiest options first.

Veskit posted:

Uhhh why?

khysanth posted:

High credit availability is a Good Thing.

Basically what khysanth said. I've been rebuilding our credit for 2 years for that eventual mortgage, and other good credit perks. I'd love a nice rewards card, for example. A nice low percentage of credit used helps with that.

For example, my current scores are:
CK Reported Transunion: 658 (Fair)
CK Reported Equifax: 659 (Fair)
Experian FICO: 639 (Fair)

So since I started the credit rebuild, my personal scores have gone up roughly 300 points each.

Plus the US Bank card is our main purchase card since their online system is the best. A $300 credit limit is terrible when it's the main card. I don't even bother with debit cards anymore. Our credit union won't auto-import through nYNAB so using a credit card saves me a lot of time.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Years ago, my only card also had a $300 limit. I think it actually made my credit worse, because (apparently) the credit agencies score you partially on how much of your credit you're using compared to the limit. With such a low limit, I was always near the top of utilization, even though I paid it off at the end of the month or whatever. In the past month or so I've gotten 2 cards with high limits, and my score went up like 150 points. So anyway, yeah that's not a bad move as long as you're responsible with it.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Hi, long-time thread lurker, this helps me keep myself in check.
Re: therapy. Do you not have online access to your Anthem account? I'm pretty sure I've looked up providers through the site and obviously they'll take my insurance. It seems implausible that you can't find a therapist that accepts Anthem at all.

eta: in fact, I just found someone two blocks from my house accessing the Anthem site on my phone. It's so easy, you have no excuse!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

district 12 posted:

Hi, long-time thread lurker, this helps me keep myself in check.
Re: therapy. Do you not have online access to your Anthem account? I'm pretty sure I've looked up providers through the site and obviously they'll take my insurance. It seems implausible that you can't find a therapist that accepts Anthem at all.

eta: in fact, I just found someone two blocks from my house accessing the Anthem site on my phone. It's so easy, you have no excuse!
I found a ton of people under my insurance within minutes when I was looking. Called around, did some phone interviews, and did an in person interview and settled on that person. It was really painless, maybe an hour of time over a few days between a handful of 2min voice mails and 5-10min calls to a half dozen people.

Get on it, KG.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I refuse to believe that finding a therapist who accepts KG's insurance is as difficult for a motivated individual as it is for KG.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Not yet. That's why I strategically gave myself until May 1st. I want to explore the easiest options first.

Can you explain what this means? The strategy of it I'm a bit confused.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Veskit posted:

Can you explain what this means? The strategy of it I'm a bit confused.

Obfuscate and defer!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Obfuscate and defer!

Or give myself the time frame that I want to start something for me? God drat guys lay off. I don't want to start therapy right this minute obviously. No matter how much everyone gets on my rear end, I won't start therapy a minute before I'm ready. I don't know how to clarify that further. I gave myself a toxxable date to start which is May 1st, so until then just chill out.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Years ago, my only card also had a $300 limit. I think it actually made my credit worse, because (apparently) the credit agencies score you partially on how much of your credit you're using compared to the limit. With such a low limit, I was always near the top of utilization, even though I paid it off at the end of the month or whatever. In the past month or so I've gotten 2 cards with high limits, and my score went up like 150 points. So anyway, yeah that's not a bad move as long as you're responsible with it.

Yeah it's to the point where I'm paying off in full multiple times a month at the moment. I use a credit card like cash at this point, so yeah I'm not worried about being responsible with it. I've had plenty of opportunities in the past 1.5 years, but I haven't paid a cent of interest ever on those cards.

I'm in the process of selling stuff for an extra debt payment this month. I'm going to scavenge mine and my wife's video game collection, blu rays, and just all of our miscellaneous media. My wife has some picture game for the PS2 worth like $120 (last I looked), and I have some old RPGs from my childhood I can get rid of that may be worth something.

If I can find them:
Tales of Destiny 1
Xenogears

So like $200-$300 in just video games.

Plus I'll get rid of some game consoles. I sold a PS4 last night to a Goon, so that's ~$290 after shipping towards debt in April, I have a New 3DS XL to sell since that's used rarely, I have an Nvidia Shield Tablet that I may sell since I'm getting a recall version, so I'll have two (I disabled the update functionality that bricks the original tablet).

And then excess baby stuff, my electronic Roland drum set that I never play since I have my acoustic set, the sand rail (I'll bring down the price to whatever it takes to sell), and a 7.2 home theater receiver with a broken HDMI out port which maybe I can fix.

I can't give a definitive timeline on all of this, but I'll definitely start as soon as this weekend, and technically I've already started with the sale of the PS4. It's a win/win since we want to reduce clutter.

I'll price this all out based on what I think I can get and I'll post it here.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Is the May 1st deadline to find a therapist's contact info, decide on one where you will book an appointment (do phone interviews if need be), have an appointment booked, or have completed an appointment?

People are asking because they care about seeing you on a better financial path. Also if they think it's the last one they may be concerned you won't be able to get an appointment in time.

(Sorry if you already clarified this, tried to look back...)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Or give myself the time frame that I want to start something for me? God drat guys lay off. I don't want to start therapy right this minute obviously. No matter how much everyone gets on my rear end, I won't start therapy a minute before I'm ready. I don't know how to clarify that further. I gave myself a toxxable date to start which is May 1st, so until then just chill out.

We'll all confused how and why you're not ready, and also how you're not ready to research and set an appointment.

I'm also concerned you only plan on seeing a therapist and not a psychologist. That's personal though but others may feel the same.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Baja Mofufu posted:

Is the May 1st deadline to find a therapist's contact info, decide on one where you will book an appointment (do phone interviews if need be), have an appointment booked, or have completed an appointment?

People are asking because they care about seeing you on a better financial path. Also if they think it's the last one they may be concerned you won't be able to get an appointment in time.

(Sorry if you already clarified this, tried to look back...)

No I set the toxx to be a visit. I will have my first visit on or before May 1st. So completed an appointment. Yeah everyone was saying it may be tough to get an appointment in time, so I intend to really pick up the search in April.

No worries I probably wasn't clear enough if I did mention it; I'm not sure.

Veskit posted:

We'll all confused how and why you're not ready, and also how you're not ready to research and set an appointment.

I'm also concerned you only plan on seeing a therapist and not a psychologist. That's personal though but others may feel the same.

I am/have researched. I've mentioned a few times that I've checked out Anthem's website for listings, and that I checked out some online options a day or two back.

I intend to see both. At least a psychiatrist for a single appointment somewhere in April or so.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Hey! Was that new title in your budget??

:negative:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

RheaConfused posted:

Hey! Was that new title in your budget??

:negative:

My discretionary, yeah. I don't want to haggle with people on SA Mart when there's a link to my financial thread.

e: did you buy the old one then? :arghfist:

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 17, 2016

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Haha, no. I just noticed the old one yesterday and was wondering what the deal with grimey drawers was. So I noticed it was changed today.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Those bandaid things are from donating when Lowtax asked a couple months ago.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Plus I'll get rid of some game consoles. I sold a PS4 last night to a Goon

How long until you buy a third PS4?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Knyteguy posted:

No I set the toxx to be a visit. I will have my first visit on or before May 1st. So completed an appointment. Yeah everyone was saying it may be tough to get an appointment in time, so I intend to really pick up the search in April.

How long do you think it takes to a) find a list of suitable therapists, b) contact them, c) get a response from one that is taking new clients and has a schedule that works with yours, d) schedule an appointment, and also bonus e) has an open appointment spot before May 1?

Because I think the thread has a very different idea of timelines than you do.

(Also do you plan on choosing between multiple suitable therapists and picking the one you like best, or just taking the first one that can make your minimum scheduling/insurance needs?)

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Inept posted:

How long until you buy a third PS4?

We're reaaaaaally close to getting out of debt now. I mean we've put $3700 in additional principal alone just since January. I have $830 budgeted for April, and that doesn't include a bunch of leftover categories that will be added to that at the end of this month. As I mentioned earlier the amount of principal going towards the car from the monthly payment is also much, much higher, so all of this is incredibly motivating.

Basically I want to burn through this debt as quickly as I can without being stupid about it. Even with the inflated budget I'm aiming for the end of this year to pay off the car. I'm not selling all of this stuff just to sell it and lose money on them by buying it all again; they weren't/aren't used very often.

So yeah when we're out of debt I can look into toys again. The HTPC was my one caveat there, but that's been taken care of (thanks n8r that was a good idea, even if it required some creativity to make it work). As I said anyway my wife and I have been reading a lot so that's taken much of our entertainment time. I picked up Morning Star (finished), Saga vol 1 (finished), and The Killing Joke this month, and I'm nearly finished with the second book of The KingKiller Chronicle. I'm buying cheap also, just to throw it out there.

E that sounds like a backwards compliment n8r, but I mean it genuinely. Thanks.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 18, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

How long do you think it takes to a) find a list of suitable therapists, b) contact them, c) get a response from one that is taking new clients and has a schedule that works with yours, d) schedule an appointment, and also bonus e) has an open appointment spot before May 1?

Because I think the thread has a very different idea of timelines than you do.

(Also do you plan on choosing between multiple suitable therapists and picking the one you like best, or just taking the first one that can make your minimum scheduling/insurance needs?)

Well I found my previous psychologist in about a week and had an appointment before the end of week of the first call. My wife found a therapist and was in there in 3 days. I scheduled an appointment for my mom at one I think it was next day or two days away.

My timeline for this is short, my desire to begin immediately is not. I absolutely understand the only thing holding this back is me at this point; I'm OK with that. I don't feel like I need to rush in necessarily, but I still gave myself an absolute maximum date to get going.

e: meant to quote this above.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The library has free books and free electronic books! Just saying.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
It's hilarious you sold another ps4 since I'm pretty sure you did that right after the thread started. Which means at some point you bought a second ps4 which I don't remember you ever telling the thread about. Who knows this thread has been smoke and mirrors since it's origin.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

It's hilarious you sold another ps4 since I'm pretty sure you did that right after the thread started. Which means at some point you bought a second ps4 which I don't remember you ever telling the thread about. Who knows this thread has been smoke and mirrors since it's origin.

Yep. One of the reasons I feel like therapy would have been good previously was because I was terrified of the reactions in here, which was foolish. I've been straight with you guys on everything since the PC fiasco.

I also paid for the PS4 and many of my side toys with the business fund. Now my business fund is going towards debt, and then it will go towards the freelance stuff down the line.

But I don't find it hilarious in the least. I really don't care frankly; it's helping me get the job done right now, so that's the only thing that matters to me.

spwrozek posted:

I'm personally trying to collect a little as a hobby, but my wife is going this weekend to a library sale where you "fill a bag for 5 bucks". I'll go with though and see if they have the kind of stuff I'm reading.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Well I found my previous psychologist in about a week and had an appointment before the end of week of the first call. My wife found a therapist and was in there in 3 days. I scheduled an appointment for my mom at one I think it was next day or two days away.

My timeline for this is short, my desire to begin immediately is not. I absolutely understand the only thing holding this back is me at this point; I'm OK with that. I don't feel like I need to rush in necessarily, but I still gave myself an absolute maximum date to get going.

e: meant to quote this above.

did you ever think he's your previous therapist instead of your current therapist because he's not very good and that maybe it's pretty easy to get into a not very good therapist who can't keep his clients?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

spwrozek posted:

The Reno library system has all of the books you mentioned in that last post, including ebooks of the non-comics (albeit with a waitlist). Why not get the books you want sent to the closest branch to you and make a weekly/biweekly trip to the library with your son?

• Locked thread