Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Seqenenra posted:

It was. I thought the sailor's creed thing was bad enough, but that was over the top.

I always feel so weird at Captain's call when all the sailors say their creed. I just kind of stand there awkwardly while everyone else does their thing.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Gingers don't have souls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSe83qc8Ngg

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I always feel so weird at Captain's call when all the sailors say their creed. I just kind of stand there awkwardly while everyone else does their thing.

Gets weirder when people don't know the words, especially when some Chief is trying to show off. Army has their own creed too for NCOs, one of them tried to show off and out of the 8 or so NCOs in the room only one knew the words. I've never heard a command say their creeds without it sounding like a group of zombies in a cult.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Here's a question for people that got out recently; I'm trying to figure out exactly wtf is going to happen with my healthcare when I separate, and obviously I'm doing this super late in the process because the Navy has trained me to do everything at the last minute. I'm officially out on Sunday, I start both the reserves and my federal job on Monday. Federal healthcare won't kick in for a couple of weeks and according to my reserve transition guy he won't actually contact me about anything reserve related for a couple weeks after my separation date. I looked at TAMP but it doesn't seem like I'm eligible based on the TAMP website which says:

The four categories for TAMP eligibility are:
Members involuntarily separated from active duty and their eligible family members;
National Guard and Reserve members, collectively known as the Reserve Component (RC), separated from active duty after being called up or ordered in support of a contingency operation for an active duty period of more than 30 days and their family members;
Members separated from active duty after being involuntarily retained in support of a contingency operation and their family members; and
Members separated from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency mission and their family members.

Normally I wouldn't be freaking out but my wife scheduled an appointment for my son that can't really be moved around due to the nature of it.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 17, 2016

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Well have our don't rape training tomorrow. 7th Fleet is the coolest

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

Here's a question for people that got out recently; I'm trying to figure out exactly wtf is going to happen with my healthcare when I separate, and obviously I'm doing this super late in the process because the Navy has trained me to do everything at the last minute. I'm officially out on Sunday, I start both the reserves and my federal job on Monday. Federal healthcare won't kick in for a couple of weeks and according to my reserve transition guy he won't actually contact me about anything reserve related for a couple weeks after my separation date. I looked at TAMP but it doesn't seem like I'm eligible based on the TAMP website which says:

Members involuntarily separated from active duty and their eligible family members;
National Guard and Reserve members, collectively known as the Reserve Component (RC), separated from active duty after being called up or ordered in support of a contingency operation for an active duty period of more than 30 days and their family members;
Members separated from active duty after being involuntarily retained in support of a contingency operation and their family members; and
Members separated from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency mission and their family members.

Normally I wouldn't be freaking out but my wife scheduled an appointment for my son that can't really be moved around due to the nature of it.

You'll qualify as a reservist so long as your SELRES date is the day following your last day of active service. That said, it doesn't guarantee certain coverage as I recently found out. Talk to the Tricare folks in your region and they'll be able to help, but I found out that I wasn't in a place covered my Tricare Prime and so was downgraded to Tricare Standard. I also had to pick up reserve dental insurance because I somehow didn't have ADDP and so it didn't transfer to TAMP.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

You'll qualify as a reservist so long as your SELRES date is the day following your last day of active service. That said, it doesn't guarantee certain coverage as I recently found out. Talk to the Tricare folks in your region and they'll be able to help, but I found out that I wasn't in a place covered my Tricare Prime and so was downgraded to Tricare Standard. I also had to pick up reserve dental insurance because I somehow didn't have ADDP and so it didn't transfer to TAMP.

Yeah the date on my contract is the 21st so that works. I'll give them a call and see what goes down.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Also, when you start as a fed, you can set your effective date to be the day you start working. You have coverage from day one as long as you enroll within 30 days.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PneumonicBook posted:

If you affiliated with the reserves through the CTO and enter your SELRES contract the day after your EAOS, you're eligible for 180 days of TAMP. Here's the NPC list of SELRES benefits.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I don't know if anyone was on the Enterprise during the time of The Most Boring Captain In The World, but CAPT Mewborne picked up RDML, just saw the naval message.

I guess if you suck dick long enough and take lovely hot-fill billets eventually you will be advanced, regardless of whether commands you were in charge of had multiple suicides and complaints about garbage command climate and morale.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
poo poo floats I guess

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

I don't know if anyone was on the Enterprise during the time of The Most Boring Captain In The World, but CAPT Mewborne picked up RDML, just saw the naval message.

I guess if you suck dick long enough and take lovely hot-fill billets eventually you will be advanced, regardless of whether commands you were in charge of had multiple suicides and complaints about garbage command climate and morale.

:confused:

He's been the Director of Maritime Operations (a 2-star billet, though he is RDML) since at least August at Fleet Forces. I watched him eviscerate a brief given to him by the oldest SEAL in the Navy (an O-6) and from what I've gathered through the FOPS director, FCC Director, and my own briefs - he's a loving complete pain in the rear end.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

Well have our don't rape training tomorrow. 7th Fleet is the coolest

Just out of curiousity, who are you with out here in Atsugi?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chuckle posted:

Just out of curiousity, who are you with out here in Atsugi?

He's a Seabee, so he's probably detted out to NAVFAC babysitting contractors for BCO or PWD.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Boon posted:

:confused:

He's been the Director of Maritime Operations (a 2-star billet, though he is RDML) since at least August at Fleet Forces. I watched him eviscerate a brief given to him by the oldest SEAL in the Navy (an O-6) and from what I've gathered through the FOPS director, FCC Director, and my own briefs - he's a loving complete pain in the rear end.

Sounds about like Dee Mewbourne. The airwing hated that guy as much as the ship. Well, almost. We only had one suicide during that cruise.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

He's a Seabee, so he's probably detted out to NAVFAC babysitting contractors for BCO or PWD.

I'm in a Mobile Construction Battalion, no babysitting thankfully, we're hanging with PWD and doing some projects with them and figuring out what else we can put some proposals together for. Beyond that we are just being amazed at how air wing personnel aren't subject to appearance regulations

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Okinawa det report:

Warm and tropically rainy. Would've been nicer if I wasn't literally getting back to my hotel at almost midnight every other day and actually got more than two days off. Currently hungover and waiting for a plane back to Atsugi.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Jesus Christ

http://www.stripes.com/news/navy-officer-arrested-on-groping-punching-allegations-on-flight-1.399821

Literally ONE WEEK.

Welp, now I'm prepared to assume the position.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I've been at Atsugi seven days and we are two violent incidents in. Amazing

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

I've been at Atsugi seven days and we are two violent incidents in. Amazing

Lol i knew there was more than just a touch when I read the sitrep.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

quote:

the officer assaulted the woman for about 90 minutes

How did no one stop this guy?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well at least it was an officer. Even things out a bit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

Well at least it was an officer. Even things out a bit.

This is why now all E6 and below will need a liberty buddy at all times.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

When sailors are forced to japan they lose their poo poo even though being in japan owns.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol officer gets in trouble enlisted get punished. Par for the course

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

When sailors are forced to japan they lose their poo poo even though being in japan owns.

We're talking about snapback in the current events thread. Were you on the fantail when we parted 5?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

We're talking about snapback in the current events thread. Were you on the fantail when we parted 5?

I was always on the fantail but for line 4. I was line captain when a tug snapped line 4 and I couldn't get it off the bitts fast enough. I think we broke line 4 twice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I was always on the fantail but for line 4. I was line captain when a tug snapped line 4 and I couldn't get it off the bitts fast enough. I think we broke line 4 twice.

I couldn't remember the number for sure but yeah it was doubled when it parted. I can't imagine what the gently caress was going through your mind at the time.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I couldn't remember the number for sure but yeah it was doubled when it parted. I can't imagine what the gently caress was going through your mind at the time.

I can't remember which chief was on the fantail, but he told me to get the line off quickly. We had already gotten the line completely wound on the bits and I was the only one trying to take them off. I was pretty close but as soon as it snapped I just dropped the line. I forget which port were in, but I think it was language problem with the tug.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
IIRC it was Sendai. BMC Wesley was loving livid up forward.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I thought BMC Wesley was always mad.

I'm the rust on the hatch and stanley's shiny boots.

I always had fun line handling as long as it wasn't raining.

Edit:

I couldn't find a better picture of the art and it pissed me off when they painted over it.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 20, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Stanley's shiny rear end boots lol

Also if they painted over the mccain field art they might as well just decom the JSM.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is why now all E6 and below will need a liberty buddy at all times.

My battalions policy is e8 and below and o3 and below require libbo buddies. So that's like eight people who can go out on their own. Makes sense

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

maffew buildings posted:

My battalions policy is e8 and below and o3 and below require libbo buddies. So that's like eight people who can go out on their own. Makes sense

Countdown to base masterchief / some commander commiting a double homicide

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

We are just in the 7th fleets AOR, I guess the NECC task force commander had the presence of mind to make our restrictions even more ridiculous in anticipation of this kind of thing

I can only assume a master chief or skipper murder would just confine all enlisted to base

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Anyone know if there is some mechanism where the RAPIDS/DEERS office can do a temporary dependent ID with essentially zero forms of identification? My wife came out to visit me at a TAD location, and managed to leave her wallet with all forms of ID in it on the train. All her forms of non photo ID (SS Card, Birth Cert) are back in Hawaii, at our house on base.

She does have the power of attorney to get DEERS/RAPIDS stuff done back home, but her state ID will take a few weeks to get replaced via the mail order process. Again, living on base, so even getting a visitors pass to get home is hampered by having nothing with a photo =/

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Laranzu posted:

Anyone know if there is some mechanism where the RAPIDS/DEERS office can do a temporary dependent ID with essentially zero forms of identification? My wife came out to visit me at a TAD location, and managed to leave her wallet with all forms of ID in it on the train. All her forms of non photo ID (SS Card, Birth Cert) are back in Hawaii, at our house on base.

She does have the power of attorney to get DEERS/RAPIDS stuff done back home, but her state ID will take a few weeks to get replaced via the mail order process. Again, living on base, so even getting a visitors pass to get home is hampered by having nothing with a photo =/

If you are in Japan, call the train line. They will bend over backwards to get it back to you.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

poopkitty posted:

If you are in Japan, call the train line. They will bend over backwards to get it back to you.

Nope. Good ol' Baltimore DC area where it probably won't surface for weeks, if ever =/

It looks like in the actual instruction for RAPIDS offices, there is a paragraph saying the photo in DEERS is sufficient to prove identity. Now the hard part is getting a RAPIDS office to do that. On a Monday. With no appointment.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Laranzu posted:

Nope. Good ol' Baltimore DC area where it probably won't surface for weeks, if ever =/

It looks like in the actual instruction for RAPIDS offices, there is a paragraph saying the photo in DEERS is sufficient to prove identity. Now the hard part is getting a RAPIDS office to do that. On a Monday. With no appointment.

Boo. I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Not sure if they do this for dependents but doesn't ID office require biometric scanning to confirm? It's better than a photo.

• Locked thread