Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh my time to wow the masses:
-laptop integrated poo poo
-laptop dedicated slightly less poo poo
-A 460 that never saw the inside of a computer
-one gen late 660ti.

And waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
1992(4?)-1998 486-DX50 so I doubt I had a gpu. May have been updated to a Pentium at some point.
1999-2000 Pentium 3. No GPU. Counter-strike at 20 fps all day.
2000-2003 Voodoo 3 3000. Counter-Strike 120 fps all day.
2003-2005 Gaming Laptop Radeon 9800 Pro?
2005-2007 Gaming Laptop Geforce 6800
2007-2010 Gaming Laptop Geforce 7700 Go
2010-2012 Gaming Laptop Radeon 5650 Mobility
2012-2014 AMD Radeon 7850 2GB
2014-2015 Nvidia GTX 770
2015-2016 Nvidia GTX 970 ('cause Witcher 3 mainly)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I actually went from

ATI Rage Pro (in some kind of Powermac), that was my first discrete card, for Unreal Tournament 1
Nvidia 260m in a gaming laptop
Radeon 7950
GTX 660ti
GTX 770
GTX 970
GTX 750ti
GTX 980ti
R9 290x RMAed into free 390x
Back down to R9 290x while I wait for die shrinks

I've done a lot of buying open-box at microcenter and returning them a month later for the free game / rental, sometimes I keep them and sell them with the system I build and sometimes I just swap them around. Half three open box stuff has artifacts, especially AMD side.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Got HL2 for free for buying 2600XT club. Or maybe it was the 9600 line

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 17, 2016

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I vaguely remember a GeForce 2 card of some description and then a Radeon 9700 Pro.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I remember having:

Pentium 166 integrated graphics (they had those right?)
GeForce2 MX 200
GeForce3 Ti 600 (although I might be mixing the 600 from the Pentium III 600Mhz, we might've had a GeForce4 instead, nothing catches my eye on the wiki though)
GeForce FX 5200
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 in a laptop
GeForce GTX 660
GeForce GTX 970

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Animal posted:

$200?

-edit-
And video cards are just $300-$500 hunks of silicon for playing games and doing stuff that your smartphone can do anyways. Not saying they are bad, but their price is a bit silly, right? :v:

Now we're on the same page

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
As far as my main gaming machine goes...

1993(?)-1997 Unknown onboard VGA on an IBM PS/1 with a 486-SX25 (not even sure it had anything worth calling a "graphics accelerator")
1997-1999 Matrox Millenium PCI (2D acceleration woo!)
1999-2000 Rage Pro AGP
2000-2004 Rage 128 All-in-Wonder AGP
2004-2005 Radeon Mobility 9700
2005-2006 GeForce 6600GT
2006-2008 GeForce 7900GT
2008-2012 GeForce 8800GT (RMA replacement for above)
2012-2014 GeForce 550Ti (RMA replacement for above)
2014-Present GeForce 970 (x2 since early 2015)

If you're looking at non-gaming then mixed in there somewhere are a Radeon HD4670 and a GeForce GT220 that I used in my old HTPC back when real-time audio over HDMI and VDPAU video decode acceleration respectively were new things, the Ion nettop that replaced said HTPC, 8600M and GT650M laptops, and an uncountable number of onboard graphics controllers that aren't worth thinking about.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

1998-2003: Voodoo 2 or 3 (cursed vague childhood memories)
2004-2009: Integrated crap including various Intel chips and a Radeon Xpress 200M at one point
2009: ATI Radeon HD 4770
2011: AMD Radeon HD 6870
2013: AMD Radeon HD 7950
2014-present: AMD Radeon R9 290x

I feel like the main realization coming from this cataloging is that I seem to be attracted to card manufacturers of ill repute; almost all of those are Sapphire or Powercolor cards, and they've typically ended up being loud and prone to failure. Unfortunately, they also seem to be the brands that go on sale the most. :v:

Next card's likely to be a 980ti, I think.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cross-Section posted:

1998-2003: Voodoo 2 or 3 (cursed vague childhood memories)
2004-2009: Integrated crap including various Intel chips and a Radeon Xpress 200M at one point
2009: ATI Radeon HD 4770
2011: AMD Radeon HD 6870
2013: AMD Radeon HD 7950
2014-present: AMD Radeon R9 290x

I feel like the main realization coming from this cataloging is that I seem to be attracted to card manufacturers of ill repute; almost all of those are Sapphire or Powercolor cards, and they've typically ended up being loud and prone to failure. Unfortunately, they also seem to be the brands that go on sale the most. :v:

Next card's likely to be a 980ti, I think.
A PNY 980ti I'm guessing :haw:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Ugh this is a hard one I dont know how you all have such good memories!

II can't remember the years, but I *think*

Geforce 2 or Voodoo cant remember
Radeon 9800pro
Radeon X1800 pro or xt or something
Radeon 5850
Geforce GTX 570
Geforce GTX 970 (my favorite GPU ever)

e: remember when GPU's didn't need huge fans and shrouds?

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 17, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Polaris 10's rear end end pictured

3 DP1.3, 1 HDMI2.0, 1 DVI-D, similar form factor to R9 Nano (let the Fiji die-shrink and HBM1 rumors spread).

Also Polaris 11 is capable of running passively, so expect OEMs to do stupid poo poo with it yet advertise it as gaming capable. Unless it can, in which case holy poo poo.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Polaris 10's rear end end pictured

3 DP1.3, 1 HDMI2.0, 1 DVI-D, similar form factor to R9 Nano (let the Fiji die-shrink and HBM1 rumors spread).

Also Polaris 11 is capable of running passively, so expect OEMs to do stupid poo poo with it yet advertise it as gaming capable. Unless it can, in which case holy poo poo.
The start-of-year demonstration where Nvidia famously showed Maxwell as part of their Drive PX prototype had AMD showing their "small" Polaris that was basically a performance equivalent to a 280x running at ~65w board power, 88w system power total, and a 280x still isn't too bad these days.

Fiji die shrink sounds interesting. drat thing literally fries itself in its 28nm incarnation :smith:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

A PNY 980ti I'm guessing :haw:

Huh, upon googling, it actually seems like they get less of a bad rap than they used to, but yeeeeah I'm probably gonna stick with EVGA or MSI cards for the immediate future.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Even Hawaii die shrinks would be nice @ $200 and around 150-175 watts. We already know of its staying power for DX12 and the existing 8GB board designs from 390s would only speed production. Also, because gently caress 28nm and gently caress 1080p cards costing over $300 new.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cross-Section posted:

Huh, upon googling, it actually seems like they get less of a bad rap than they used to, but yeeeeah I'm probably gonna stick with EVGA or MSI cards for the immediate future.

PNY has no transferable warranty either which is poo poo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Think we'll see any wood screws this time around?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Without looking it up:

Pentium 166 integrated graphics
Some kind of 3DFX card from one of the now long-dead companies
Nvidia FX 5600, a poo poo-tastic mid-range card that I gleefully replaced with an
ATI 9800 Pro
Some ridiculously hot and lound NVIDIA Laptop card
Intel mobile HD graphics (the original)
Nvidia 710m
Current: Intel HD 530, keeping me humming along on low settings till I get the Ti edition of whatever Nvidia's flagship card is.

PS. yeah I've going to be doing some serious tea-leaf reading over the Pascal release to see if there'll even be a Ti edition. I'm finally in a position to be able to buy the best (barring the ridiculous vanity top-shelf cards) and I'm happy to wait for the best to be available.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The start-of-year demonstration where Nvidia famously showed Maxwell as part of their Drive PX prototype had AMD showing their "small" Polaris that was basically a performance equivalent to a 280x running at ~65w board power, 88w system power total, and a 280x still isn't too bad these days.

Fiji die shrink sounds interesting. drat thing literally fries itself in its 28nm incarnation :smith:

That was also an engineering sample, so if AMD is claiming passive cooling functionality for mobile then there has to be an incarnation of it running sub 30W, maybe a cutdown P11 can do this. The reason Fiji die shrinks are becoming rumor is in theory a 232mm2 chip should provide ample room to put eight 1GB HBM1 stacks down. I mean poo poo, if Fury did so poorly and SK-Hynix has a ton of these HBM1 chips laying around and/or is still producing it, why not roll the tech onto a likely more successful chip?

Seamonster posted:

Even Hawaii die shrinks would be nice @ $200 and around 150-175 watts. We already know of its staying power for DX12 and the existing 8GB board designs from 390s would only speed production. Also, because gently caress 28nm and gently caress 1080p cards costing over $300 new.

Wouldn't this still be considered a "new" chip though? Raja said only 2 new chips this year, likely demarcated into 450/460 and 470/480, so this likely has a lot to do with semantic fuckery if it happens, maybe to screw with Nvidia.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
I don't remember the exact order of the early cards but I had:

Canopus Pure 3d - Voodoo 1 with 6mb ram and Svideo out!
Matrox M3D - PowerVR
Kyro II - More PowerVR with Tile Based rendering.
Radeon 9800pro
GTX275
GTX970

I remember that Unreal looked AMAZING on that M3D card.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Man, the Canopus Pure 3D was a kickass Voodoo card. 6mb! :getin:

RIP Canopus.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

9800 GTX
660 TI, warrantied out for a

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Not being a computer buff, I think we had:

a 386
a pentium1
voodoo banshee
some kind of nvidia hand-me-down from my brother bought in '07

I've been watching this guys videos. He seems to really know his stuff without fanboying. I link it because he actually has me thinking AMD has an edge moving into the next gen of cards:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ7VCOgMZ9I

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Gerard Butler's nerd cousin ya feckin weapon

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Purgatory Glory posted:

Not being a computer buff, I think we had:

a 386
a pentium1
voodoo banshee
some kind of nvidia hand-me-down from my brother bought in '07

I've been watching this guys videos. He seems to really know his stuff without fanboying. I link it because he actually has me thinking AMD has an edge moving into the next gen of cards:

I hope so

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Purgatory Glory posted:

tl;dw but AMD is potentially in a good place for the next generation. Their cards do really well on DX12 so far - not just AOTS, Fury X is beating 980 Ti and 380 is beating 960 on Gears Of War Ultimate Edition - plus they've got Async Compute capability, which Maxwell does not (and probably never will). They already have a working arch using HBM, and they've demoed engineering samples of their next-gen chips (not HBM). Also, they're partnered with Samsung, who is truly a one-stop shop for electronics (or literally anything else from shipyards to appliances to building construction) - you can literally go from a pile of sand to finished boxed boards entirely in-house with Samsung if you want, and they have a huge amount of expertise building their own electronics. That's a huge advantage vs just having a GPU-die fab and having to go outside for wafers/memory/integration.

Like, I would actually love to see Samsung buy out AMD because they could give Intel a serious race for its money, but that would trip the killswitch on AMD's x86 license, so a tacit partnership is OK.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 17, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Like, I would actually love to see Samsung buy out AMD because they could give Intel a serious race for its money, but that would trip the killswitch on AMD's x86 license, so a tacit partnership is OK.

Intel also loses AMD-x64 licensing rights as well. So if an acquisition did happen, they would literally have to renegotiate a new licensing deal. If my understanding of the situation is correct. Which had been started MULTIPLE times in this thread what would happen, but I'm too lazy to find it when phone posting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SlayVus posted:

Intel also loses AMD-x64 licensing rights as well. So if an acquisition did happen, they would literally have to renegotiate a new licensing deal.

No, it only terminates the rights of the purchased party.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Godspeed 980 Ti Hybrid on SA-Mart :patriot:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

tl;dw but AMD is potentially in a good place for the next generation. Their cards do really well on DX12 so far - not just AOTS, Fury X is beating 980 Ti and 380 is beating 960 on Gears Of War Ultimate Edition - plus they've got Async Compute capability, which Maxwell does not (and probably never will). They already have a working arch using HBM, and they've demoed engineering samples of their next-gen chips (not HBM). Also, they're partnered with Samsung, who is truly a one-stop shop for electronics (or literally anything else from shipyards to appliances to building construction) - you can literally go from a pile of sand to finished boxed boards entirely in-house with Samsung if you want, and they have a huge amount of expertise building their own electronics. That's a huge advantage vs just having a GPU-die fab and having to go outside for wafers/memory/integration.

:eyepop:

:eyepoop:

(courtesy OC3D: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/gear_of_war_ultimate_edition_performance_retest_-_the_game_has_been_fixed/)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why are they capping frame rate? Does the game force it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Why are they capping frame rate? Does the game force it?
Hello welcome to the brave new world of Universal Windows Platform where the rules are: no mods, forced V-sync, no SLI or Crossfire support (for now), etc.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/tim-sweeney-to-microsoft-universal-windows-platform-can-should-must-and-will-die/
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/02/microsoft-needs-to-stop-forcing-console-like-restrictions-on-windows-store-pc-games/

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Windows Store PC Games. Good, something I will never have to worry about because I'm never going to buy something from there.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Another joyous advantage of UWP games, you can't stream them using any sort of desktop capture software, so I hope you haven't made a poor decision like I have, in making your primary 5K monitor a full desktop computer that doesn't support any sort of display input, and never will.

Hmm, maybe I should sell this desktop Mac and buy some other desktop Mac that actually supports external displays. Or not.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 18, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yawn.

http://anandtech.com/show/10154/gdc-2016-tearing-freesyncgsync-support-coming-to-windows-uwp-apps

They're working on adding tearing, freesync and gsync support.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
But I don't want tearing.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

UWP is still pure trash, everything encrypted to hell and back, no moding and so on. They want to turn the PC into a Xbox with a keyboard and mouse, if they get any significant adoption of this poo poo I expect they will start charging monthly and yearly fees just to access basic things like multiplayer.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

kuroshi posted:

Another joyous advantage of UWP games, you can't stream them using any sort of desktop capture software, so I hope you haven't made a poor decision like I have, in making your primary 5K monitor a full desktop computer that doesn't support any sort of display input, and never will.

Hmm, maybe I should sell this desktop Mac and buy some other desktop Mac that actually supports external displays. Or not. My SO doesn't like me gaming anyway.

I am sorry, I can't parse this post. What does the lack of streaming have to do with your AIO computer not having any sort of external input?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I stream video form a Windows tower to my AIO PC, which is apparently incompatible with that UWP crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Stanley Pain posted:

Windows Store PC Games. Good, something I will never have to worry about because I'm never going to buy something from there.

Here's the rub: Microsoft wants to move everyone and everything to UWP, and deprecate Win32.

In short, UWP is supposed to allow Microsoft to compile a program once and have it run on everything. But there are so many layers of abstraction, security, and state switching required, yes that's right, REQUIRED that when the entire point of PC gaming is to run as leanly as possible to squeeze every last drop out of your hardware, UWP's overhead is completely unacceptable.

Reposting a relevent video explaining UWP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJF-T8-qXUM&t=3128s