Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kurokiba gives all the fucks. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Wark Say posted:

Kurokiba gives all the fucks. :black101:

:black101: was made for Kurokiba.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hahaha yes, eat poo poo flame guy :black101:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

btfo

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My guess is Central dude hosed up by using olive oil. Generally confit dishes are cooked in their own fat. By using olive oil he's potentially diluting out the fats of the salmon and impregnating it with olive oil instead.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

My guess is Central dude hosed up by using olive oil. Generally confit dishes are cooked in their own fat. By using olive oil he's potentially diluting out the fats of the salmon and impregnating it with olive oil instead.

My guess is central dude didn't gently caress up anything at all but Kurokiba was just that much better than his anyway because Kurokiba freaking owns and has been tirelessly training since his defeat in the Autumn finals in order to get revenge.

Anyway Kurokiba's the best and just as I predicted there was no way he wasn't going to crush this goddamn loser. :black101:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My guess is the green layer is a nori or maybe some molecular gastronomy creation from the waters where the salmon was fished out using some other portion of the salmon

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SyntheticPolygon posted:

My guess is central dude didn't gently caress up anything at all but Kurokiba was just that much better than his anyway because Kurokiba freaking owns and has been tirelessly training since his defeat in the Autumn finals in order to get revenge.

Anyway Kurokiba's the best and just as I predicted there was no way he wasn't going to crush this goddamn loser. :black101:

Might be. Souma noted that "Rentaro got one thing wrong in his little speech" so it might be referring to Rentaro's own dish or how he's underestimated Kurokiba.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

Might be. Souma noted that "Rentaro got one thing wrong in his little speech" so it might be referring to Rentaro's own dish or how he's underestimated Kurokiba.

I'm pretty sure what Ren got wrong was assuming Kurokiba was the same as he was during the Autumn finals, and "the difference" between their meals was all the effort Kurokiba has put in since his defeat in order to improve himself. And also that secret ingredient he used that is yet to be explained. But as far as the themes go the difference is probably Kurokiba's desire to get better after his loss.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ShadowCatboy posted:

They're gonna say that kurokiba utilized the properties of terroir better than flame man and everyone will be amazed

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought Kurokiba was going to lose and I was wrong and I'm glad to find that out.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Kurokibowns

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So when do we get the "Kurokiba and Alice (food)fight around the World!" spinoff?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
the green stuff's weed

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

he lost because he's a prat

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Centzon Totochtin posted:

the green stuff's weed

This is what I want. Nori was my second thought as well.

Xelkelvos posted:

My guess is the green layer is a nori or maybe some molecular gastronomy creation from the waters where the salmon was fished out using some other portion of the salmon

This would be cooler though.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Centzon Totochtin posted:

the green stuff's weed

It can't be, none of the judges have traveled backwards in time.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
There was a panel with the curry dude, it's a curry leaf no?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The fodder guy said that Kurokiba's dishes let all the flavors blend together willy nilly. The green layer exists to separate the rice from the whatever so the flavors don't all blend together. They're gonna tie this back thematically to his loss somehow, but I'm pretty sure that's the culinary intent here.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Well, we've got our answer. No one predicted right. It's a spinach crepe with roughly mixed spices including dehydrated bacon. Also, Kurokiba worked at a curry place for his Stagiare.
http://readms.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/159/3302/1

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

This entire panel is a thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I MIXED TOGETHER VARIOUS SPICES is the new "wait is this seriously supposed to be a big thing?".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I MIXED TOGETHER VARIOUS SPICES is the new "wait is this seriously supposed to be a big thing?".

It's a matter of mixing things in such a way that provides a variety in flavor. Yeah, it's sorta dumb.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

BlitzBlast posted:

Way back when they first introduced Akira, he was talking about how toasting spices and using water instead of stock would dramatically make curry better, even though that's Indian Cooking 101.

I'm getting the feeling that the student's food isn't as good as it looks, and the problem is with all these "we're serious food critics with seriously high-standards" judges.

Yeah yeah, I know shonen manga, but still. :v:

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 18, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm hoping that every time we get something new from the first years now we get a flashback to their Stagiare week. Cause it's a good way to show they've been through a training arc without actually having to waste a lot of time showing these kids getting better. Also, that was a good end to the Shokugeki and Spinach is delicious so I am happy it was the secret ingredient that granted Kurokiba victory.

I'm a bit disappointed though that it looks like we'll be sticking with Block D for a bit. I was thinking that we'd switch to another of the blocks to see a match featuring Ikumi, Hayama, or Kuga, since at the beginning of this battle it was mentioned those 3 might have had matches scheduled for today. On the other hand Naked Apron Senpai is on his way and Alice looks pretty intense in that last panel, so this could be cool.

Edit:

BlitzBlast posted:

Ahem, It was various spices, along with Spinach i'll have you know. :colbert:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Who just casually says that they tasted some astringency in their food

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BlitzBlast posted:

The great thing of knowing jack about cooking and not really caring is that I can read this manga and just treat each new way of cooking as a shounen power up and not get all hung up on stuff like this.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The bad thing is that I know jack about cooking.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

^^Same. On both accounts

Like, even with my little knowledge of cooking I know Ren freaking out about a spice mix is pretty silly. But I really like the idea that last week Ren was going on about how Kurokiba is unrefined and unelegant but through adding Bacon to his spices Kurokiba was able to use it more subtly and elegantly than him, who ended up making the same mistake he was accusing Kurokiba of. Like, shonen-logic wise that seems like an appropriate end to this smug elitist jerk.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 18, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not like the "you would have beaten the old me but the current me has evolved" is particularly new, either. Souma himself used that phrase against Mimisaka or whatever his name was.

As did Kiriko from Iron Wok Jan, the best cooking manga ever.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
There is nothing about Spinach Crepe that doesn't sound great.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Nahxela posted:

Who just casually says that they tasted some astringency in their food

Students in a culinary school?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

BlitzBlast posted:

Think about it in terms of Texas BBQ. The rub is the secret. The most secret.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
There really must be a better way to phrase that than seasoning spice. Even if you said seasoned salt, that conversation is ever-so-slightly less absurd sounding.

BlitzBlast posted:

It is for a guy who's known for having the subtlety of a steamroller, I guess.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was probably literally called seasoning spice in Japanese.

Like, sijuning supaicu or whatever.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Korean version literally reads 'Seasoning Spice' as well.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I hope that everyone was sent to restaurants outside their comfort areas. Akira could've gone to a fish place or just anything that used like 0 spices, but best of all I want Alice going to a super low-rent old-school restaurant where their most modern piece of equipment is an over from the 1980s. Now there's a stagiare flashback I can get behind.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the special part wasn't that he used spices it was the way he mixed it into the dough he did it uneavenly to produce a wider veriety of flavors in his dish. adding a greater depth of flavor

Neo_Crimson posted:

Way back when they first introduced Akira, he was talking about how toasting spices and using water instead of stock would dramatically make curry better, even though that's Indian Cooking 101.

that was more that cooking the same spices different ways would have subtle effects on the blend and you need to do the right things to the right spice to create the right blend for the individual dish

it's not super groundbreaking stuff but i think it's acceptable for a shounen series

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

NowonSA posted:

I hope that everyone was sent to restaurants outside their comfort areas. Akira could've gone to a fish place or just anything that used like 0 spices, but best of all I want Alice going to a super low-rent old-school restaurant where their most modern piece of equipment is an over from the 1980s. Now there's a stagiare flashback I can get behind.

Yeah, like always, surviving the trials the school throws at you should always product interesting results.

We only saw the main character's stagiare and God Tongue Girl's, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think Erina's reactions towards the Polar Star kids have made me dislike her a lot less. I mean, she's still a crappy tsukkomi, but it's one helluva improvement from her earlier characterization as a snotty, boring foodie-princess. Kurokiba trying his best to keep his hot-blooded personality in check was strangely endearing. :3:

Also Boo! Hiss! Go away, Foodie Aizen Dadkiri!.