Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

I actually really like how the game looks lol

Aside from looking lovely, personally subjective as that is aside, there are a few places where enemy attacks blend into the muddy slop that is the environment. Mostly had problems with it in the Bandit area with those axe guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

It appears that there is for enemies at least, I've gotten poisoned by different enemies at different times and had vastly different amounts of damage done. Whether or not this applies to player-induced poison I don't know.

I think there is a difference because my poison arrows do gently caress all while my wraithfang knives melt everything. There's also two separate charms for poison with one having heavy poison in it's description. My funniest death has been a boss dying while it killed me a two seconds before and having the obliterated/vanquished text overlapping.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Duke posted:

The Kraekan Wyrm is hilarious with the warhammer. Just put some electricity on it he goes down in like <10 hits. Where's a good spot to find Amber Idols?

Yeah, I enchanted my warhammer with the Iron Ones electricity item and he went down in something like 7 or 8 swings. It really made up for most of the bosses up to that point being very resistant blunt damage.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Orv posted:

Aside from looking lovely, personally subjective as that is aside, there are a few places where enemy attacks blend into the muddy slop that is the environment. Mostly had problems with it in the Bandit area with those axe guys.

I find this weird, maybe because I played from a 'monitor' sized TV about two feet from my face? The game never had an issues like that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
When do level 2 or higher swords show up? I'm still rocking my starter sword because I have seen like 3 swords and two of them are level 0. I've seen armors of level 2-3 so why not swords? (Just unlocked monolith ability, now running around looking for places where I can use it)

Also, are there any negative effects to changing gods?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ymgve posted:

When do level 2 or higher swords show up? I'm still rocking my starter sword because I have seen like 3 swords and two of them are level 0. I've seen armors of level 2-3 so why not swords? (Just unlocked monolith ability, now running around looking for places where I can use it)

Also, are there any negative effects to changing gods?

A lot of the good poo poo is available via transmuting from an Alchemist in a sanctuary. Not sure if you can pick up a stone alchemist and summon one before then but you're guaranteed to meet one in the sanctuary in the woods areas. I'd mostly been finding level 0 weapons but an alchemist lets you use the "boss souls" or whatever you want to call them to transmute a weapon of a specific type into a number of much more powerful level 2+ weapons.

edit: also if you change gods your old gods will get mad at you and not let you change back to them, I found an NPC though who will absolve your "sin" for a price. It seems like there are much higher sin levels than I managed to achieve though so maybe the consequences become worse as you stack that up, who knows.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Played this for a couple of hours yesterday, loving it!

For the skill tree - is there something I should be mindful about that may screw me over later? It feels like the tree is pretty friendly (and not that interesting). But I've been upgrading cautiously so far, without committing too far down a single branch.

edit:
Some mistakes...

PerOlus fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 18, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PerOlus posted:

Played this for a couple of hours yesterday, loving it!

For the skill tree - is there something I should be mindful about that may screw me over later? It feels like the tree is pretty friendly (and that interesting). But I've been upgrading cautiously so far, without committing to far down a single branch.

Much like DS salt is potentially endless so it's really hard to screw yourself over unless you actively work against your own self-interest or try to focus on too many things at once.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Protip: Just because you're holding nothing in one hand doesn't mean you're 2-hand wielding a weapon. You need to toggle it on the equipment page (or is there a button to do this?). I played all the way up to the lake witch 1-handing a great hammer with nothing in my other hand. I thought since my damage went down if I picked up a torch that meant I was 2-handing it :v:

Also, this game is really big. I was not expecting this much content.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are prayers worth working towards if I've started as a Knight? They seem allllllllll the way over the other side of the skill tree.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lategame question regarding the floating castle. I made it through the first indoor area but now it looks like I have to jump for this ladder and I can't seem to make it. If I don't dash I can't jump far enough, and if I do dash I can't seem to grab it for some reason. Is there a trick here or do I just need to git gud.

poptart_fairy posted:

Are prayers worth working towards if I've started as a Knight? They seem allllllllll the way over the other side of the skill tree.

They're pretty good but you should probably focus on one weapon type and one armor type exclusively if you you're putting points that way.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
It seems like stat scaling kind of sucks early/midgame - weapons with an A or S stat scaling for strength are doing much, much less damage than weapons that start with a high base damage but no scaling. It took me a while to figure this out, unfortunately, and kept hitting a brick wall with not being able to kill stuff in the Castle of Storms until I switched to the greathammer.

At what point does that change, if it ever does? Class 3 and higher?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Lategame question regarding the floating castle. I made it through the first indoor area but now it looks like I have to jump for this ladder and I can't seem to make it. If I don't dash I can't jump far enough, and if I do dash I can't seem to grab it for some reason. Is there a trick here or do I just need to git gud.

You need to tap the air dash button twice to make that jump. I did that boss thinking I was almost done with the game and I still have like 7 more to go.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
What's a good way to spend my money? The shops still have the same gear they had when I created my first sanctuary, and I'm sitting here with thousands that just bleed out because I die a lot.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ymgve posted:

What's a good way to spend my money? The shops still have the same gear they had when I created my first sanctuary, and I'm sitting here with thousands that just bleed out because I die a lot.

I like to buy lots of the useful consumables like buffs or the good throwing items.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Now that I've beaten the game, I can say that rank 5 light armor is a terrible investment because the two tier 5 sets that exist for light armor are just there for dress up and the best light armor in the game is a class 4 you can get about midgame.

Also you're probably not going to get a class 5 weapon unless you're in NG+ (with one exception)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is that one warhammer you find the only greathammer you can ever get? That is, can I have multiple greathammers in my inventory at the same time before ng+? I'm thinking of upgrading mine to the T5 version, but it's sooo heavy. I wish I had another one as insurance in case I don't like the upgraded version.

Marogareh posted:

You need to tap the air dash button twice to make that jump. I did that boss thinking I was almost done with the game and I still have like 7 more to go.

Oh dang, I didn't realize you could double air dash.

ymgve posted:

If you pick the Iron Ones religion there's a hammer you can buy for 200,000g. I don't think I've ever had more than 60k or so at a time.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 18, 2016

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I have three class 5 weapons and I'm just before the last boss on my first NG. Shimmering pearls are farmable, I think I still have like 6.

E: one of them is the class 5 greathammer and it seems better than even its high stats show. Aside from strike resistant enemies it does way more than my class 5 greataxe.

acumen fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 18, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How did you people get 100k for upgrades? My salt count was never that high and I don't think I fought a boss that gave that much (even the final boss doesn't give that much salt)

Maybe I just suck :(

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Protip: Just because you're holding nothing in one hand doesn't mean you're 2-hand wielding a weapon. You need to toggle it on the equipment page (or is there a button to do this?). I played all the way up to the lake witch 1-handing a great hammer with nothing in my other hand. I thought since my damage went down if I picked up a torch that meant I was 2-handing it :v:

Also, this game is really big. I was not expecting this much content.

poo poo
fuckkkkkkkk

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lakbay posted:

How did you people get 100k for upgrades? My salt count was never that high and I don't think I fought a boss that gave that much (even the final boss doesn't give that much salt)

Maybe I just suck :(

That big suit of armor in the floating castle drops 5000 salt baseline and with my metal lightning stone enchanted warhammer I can kill them in 3 hits. There's also two outside of the the asadsd dragon olijlj fight, which might be better for farming. Tedious, but hardly the worst grind ever.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Where do I go after I kill the Queen of Smiles? I found some forest area, but it doesn't seem to lead anywhere, all I've found is dead ends and shortcuts

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Where do I go after I kill the Queen of Smiles? I found some forest area, but it doesn't seem to lead anywhere, all I've found is dead ends and shortcuts

There's a boss in the forest area, keep climbing upwards. I think you have a few other options but that's the next progression route

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
The Third Lamb is a tough fight.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

goferchan posted:

There's a boss in the forest area, keep climbing upwards. I think you have a few other options but that's the next progression route

A tip for that boss: There's another sanctuary close to the boss. Instead of going up above the ogre near the boss, go past him and down to the right.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I absolutely loathe these poison slimes in the forest.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

PrinnySquadron posted:

I absolutely loathe these poison slimes in the forest.

Sometimes it's better to just let them grab you so you could tear them apart from inside. I found them way worse to deal with during the boss fight.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Satorr posted:

The Third Lamb is a tough fight.
I got stuck here as well. My dagger (level 2 dagger + 3) does barely anything to it. I'm like level 40 now too.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

SLOSifl posted:

I got stuck here as well. My dagger (level 2 dagger + 3) does barely anything to it. I'm like level 40 now too.

Try fire.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

praise the salt

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Game does not seem to be balanced very well for daggers and short swords. No reach, no damage, no ability to stagger, and the fast attack speed isn't nearly enough to bring them in line with bigger weps.

Like it's not great when my solution for boss fights is to break out a great sword because even un-upgraded and without any points in str it's still more effective.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 18, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's the other way for me, I had to put away my greatsword and bring out my level 1 midshipman's dagger in order to kill The Alchemist, the False Jester, and Kraken Ogre

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

It's the other way for me, I had to put away my greatsword and bring out my level 1 midshipman's dagger in order to kill The Alchemist, the False Jester, and Kraken Ogre

Those are all early bosses which aren't that tough (as in physically resistant). Later bosses seem to take jack all damage from swords and daggers relative to the damage that greatswords and greataxes do.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

lets hang out posted:

Game does not seem to be balanced very well for daggers and short swords. No reach, no damage, no ability to stagger, and the fast attack speed isn't nearly enough to bring them in line with bigger weps.

Like it's not great when my solution for boss fights is to break out a great sword because even un-upgraded and without any points in str it's still more effective.

I used my dagger up until the Untouched Inquisitor boss fight, and just before that I picked up a pistol and upgraded it.

Pistols are loving incredible. I blitzed through the next couple of bosses with no issues.

Also I think I sequence-broke a bit, I was exploring either the Dome of the Forgotten or the Ruined Temple and fell off a ledge to my death. So I went back to it, slid down and wall-jumped-sorta off and landed safely, then fought the Bloodless Prince.

I only think I sequence broke as he was stupidly tough and took forever to kill with my dagger. Didn't hit me once though, it was a stupid easy fight.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

So It Goes posted:

Where is the Masterless Knight after the cave area. I know that wiki says in the ruined temple, but I can't find him. It says after you beat the coveted so I assume he didn't disappear even though I beat the boss?

Still don't know.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey hey, how do I use torches? It's dark and I can't find them in my inventory I'm scared

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Those are all early bosses which aren't that tough (as in physically resistant). Later bosses seem to take jack all damage from swords and daggers relative to the damage that greatswords and greataxes do.

That's disappointing. I hope I won't have too much trouble with my build (smallshields and one-handed swords, light armor)

Also, these crashes are making me angry!!!

Orv
May 4, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey hey, how do I use torches? It's dark and I can't find them in my inventory I'm scared

D-pad down, shows number and duration bottom left of HUD.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

How's the platforming in this game? Is there a lot of pixel perfect jumping over bottomless chasms?
I really like souls games, but I'm afraid the combination of platforming and souls difficulty would get infuriating quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Brumaldo posted:

How's the platforming in this game? Is there a lot of pixel perfect jumping over bottomless chasms?
I really like souls games, but I'm afraid the combination of platforming and souls difficulty would get infuriating quick.

I haven't seen too much pixel-perfect jumping yet, but I don't know how far into the game that I am. There's a forest with a bunch of platforming over instakill heights but it really wasn't that big a deal.

Gotta say overall that playing as a paladine was an easier choice than mage. The way they handled magic was pretty good, but honestly smashing poo poo with a giant hammer is much more gratifying and wearing more than tissue paper really helps.

gently caress this stupid dragon though

• Locked thread