Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

Why did roguelike games blow up all of a sudden anyway? Was it Nuclear Throne and FTL?

Spelunky, BoI, and maybe FTL. Nuclear Throne is definitely a Johnny come lately to the action RL genre.

Classic Spelunky was the first time an action based roguelike was legitimately good, and I think it got a lot of traction with indie devs. BoI blowing up, and how well it combines with YouTube and streaming, was probably the bigger factor though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

procedurally generated posting

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SynthOrange posted:

procedurally generated posting

Wake me when there's procedurally generated shitposting.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wamdoodle posted:

i'm pretty sure byob is actually a bunch of experimental markov chain scripts producing just that

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Wamdoodle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YzSHIYxdRs

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Re: Borderlands

Y'all should get Tales From The Borderlands even if you hate Borderlands. It's just that loving good.

/edit: Shite, it's not actually on sale. Well, wishlist it for next time.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 18, 2016

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Y'all should get Tales From The Borderlands even if you hate Borderlands. It's just that loving good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wasnt the ending pretty bad?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SynthOrange posted:

gently caress no, it's one of those weird cases where it just keeps getting better. I was losing my poo poo by the last 2 acts of the last episode, I just couldn't believe the poo poo they were pulling and how well they were pulling it off.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

From what I've heard no. Now Game of Thrones on the other hand...

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Subnautica is a beautiful game when the framerate isn't hitching.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fair enough. I get the awful 5th episode mixed up on their games.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SynthOrange posted:

Fair enough. I get the awful 5th episode mixed up on their games.

You might be confusing it with Life is Strange, which ended at almost the same time and was much more controversial. Most people liked the TFTBL ending.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Accordion Man posted:

From what I've heard no. Now Game of Thrones on the other hand...

Game of Groans? :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah part 5 is fantastic. The climax of episode 5 is amazing for reasons that I don't want to spoil.

mycot posted:

You might be confusing it with Life is Strange, which ended at almost the same time and was much more controversial. Most people liked the TFTBL ending.

Yeah Life is Strange's 5th episode is definitely the one that a lot of people (myself included) felt let down by. But I wouldn't call episode 5 bad either

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

The people who complain about the ending usually are complaining about literally the last couple minutes of the final episode. They have valid reasons for disliking the ending but it's such an insignificant part of the entire journey that's nothing worth fretting over.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mycot posted:

You might be confusing it with Life is Strange, which ended at around the same time and was much more controversial. Most people liked the TFTBL ending.

Nah Life is Strange ended fine, at least to me (I wouldn't say it was stellar but not the worst thing), and I think most people were fine/neutral or had some minor dislike of it at worst.

He might be thinking of Wolf Among Us which did end kind of shittily

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Macaluso posted:

Yeah part 5 is fantastic. The climax of episode 5 is amazing for reasons that I don't want to spoil.
It's just full of things I really want to talk to people about but at the same time I want people to experience them on their own. So good. :allears:

Macaluso posted:

Yeah Life is Strange's 5th episode is definitely the one that a lot of people (myself included) felt let down by. But I wouldn't call episode 5 bad either
Hey there disappointment buddy. And I was having such a good loving time with LiS.

:(:hf::(

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I played 2 episodes of Borderlands a while back and can confirm that it is [GOOD]. It is humorous and storyfromdifferentPOVs-tastic; I really should get back round to finishing that soon before it leaves my memory completely and I never touch it again because of the "can't remember it, don't wanna replay it though" effect. (does that have a name?)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
^ The "50-hour RPG Effect".

Xaris posted:

Nah Life is Strange ended fine, at least to me (I wouldn't say it was stellar but not the worst thing), and I think most people were fine/neutral or had some minor dislike of it at worst.

He might be thinking of Wolf Among Us which did end kind of shittily

Maybe SA just hated it more than usual because the ending caused the thread to completely poo poo itself. :v:

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 18, 2016

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Dohaeris posted:

Anyone played The Culling? Any impressions? Seems like the good parts of open world PvP survival games condensed into 20 minutes, Battle Royale/Hunger Games style.

It's surprisingly compelling. It's still early for sure, and melee combat is wonkier feel wise than I would like, but even not being a fan of these survival genre games I find myself hopping in queue repeatedly. I think the real meat of the game is in the paired team play mode as opposed to solo play.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cactus posted:

I played 2 episodes of Borderlands a while back and can confirm that it is [GOOD]. It is humorous and storyfromdifferentPOVs-tastic; I really should get back round to finishing that soon before it leaves my memory completely and I never touch it again because of the "can't remember it, don't wanna replay it though" effect. (does that have a name?)

Hop by the LP Thread, watch the two first episodes and then go and play the rest. The first two eps are [GOOD], but it gets even better by mid-ep3, skyrockets by 4 and doesn't let up until the end.

/edit: That effect is called "the first 10 hours of The Witcher 2" :argh:

No Such Thing posted:

The people who complain about the ending usually are complaining about literally the last couple minutes of the final episode. They have valid reasons for disliking the ending but it's such an insignificant part of the entire journey that's nothing worth fretting over.
Yeah, I know exactly the bit you're talking about (I didn't particularly like it either), but as you say it's just a minor thing in an otherwise amazing game that I kinda forgot about it until you brought it up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ep5 of BorderTales also has the best loving musical opening as well.

Hell all the songs they chose for each ep are pretty fantastic.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cactus posted:

I call it arpygitis because of where it strikes most

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

neurotech posted:

I just discovered how good the Steam In-home Streaming is. Can anyone recommend some good "couch games"?

Pretty much any games focused on controllers and not typing or needing super good aim, Shelter 2 is a favorite of mine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

wrong thread i'm a dummy

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 18, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Ep5 of BorderTales also has the best loving musical opening as well.

Hell all the songs they chose for each ep are pretty fantastic.

I'm not sure about that when Episode 4 exists but its still pretty good.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Why did roguelike games blow up all of a sudden anyway? Was it Nuclear Throne and FTL?

Spelunky I feel was the first real big, successful roguelike. That and Toejam & Earl.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've been eyeballing Arkham Knight for a while now; has it actually become playable after the patch, or is it pretty much a crapshoot whether it'll work on my configuration or not?

I know I can refund games on steam if it turns out it runs like shite, but it's like half price over at Nuuvem and I'm poor. Why don't games have demos anymore :argh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've been eyeballing Arkham Knight for a while now; has it actually become playable after the patch, or is it pretty much a crapshoot whether it'll work on my configuration or not?
It's a hell of a lot better but still doesn't perform as well as it should on some systems.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Edmond Dantes posted:

I know I can refund games on steam if it turns out it runs like shite, but it's like half price over at Nuuvem and I'm poor. Why don't games have demos anymore :argh:

Half price on Nuuvem? It's currently ~27 USD on nuuvem, and $13.79 on Bundlestars. Hop on that poo poo and tell me if it (still) sucks.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Complete crapshoot, some people who never had any problems with the game had problems after the final patch

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Edmond Dantes posted:

buy on steam, try and refund, buy again on nuuvem if it works

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

didnt nuuvem recently get locked down though?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a hell of a lot better but still doesn't perform as well as it should on some systems.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Complete crapshoot, some people who never had any problems with the game had problems after the final patch
Aight, I get the picture. Cheers.

Morter posted:

Half price on Nuuvem? It's currently ~27 USD on nuuvem, and $13.79 on Bundlestars. Hop on that poo poo and tell me if it (still) sucks.
It's usually ~12.50 on Nuuvem while on sale, and the cheapest I've seen it on steam was 23 or so, hence my 50% price; but yeah, not much difference with Nuuvem and Bundlestars right now.

The problem is I can't refund either of those, so if it runs like arse I'm pretty much screwed. I think I'll wait until it gets a deeper discount on Steam so I can get my money back in case it doesn't play well with my hardware, I don't really want to bet 12.50 bucks.

/edit:

Awesome! posted:

buy on steam, try and refund, buy again on nuuvem if it works
I thought about that, but I also think it's a bit of a dick move (and I'm not sure if they're not gonna flag my account or something for future refunds, they're kinda weird sometimes).

Awesome! posted:

didnt nuuvem recently get locked down though?
I'm in Argentina, so unless the game is Brasil-only I can still buy off them.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 18, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

mycot posted:

Maybe SA just hated it more than usual because the ending caused the thread to completely poo poo itself. :v:

Goons are tragically susceptible to Acute Game Ending Psychosis. If you see a fellow poster exhibit warning signs of intense mood swings, scouring YouTube for awful fancut videos of how the game should have ended, and typing 12 paragraph treatises about the nature of art that absolutely nobody will read, please refer them to the available helplines immediately.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
At this point if you don't go into a game's finale expecting disappointment then I don't know what else to say.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
I caved in and got Subnautica. It just looks so pretty. Current me is buying this game for future me's computer.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Ya know if you goons are looking for a good story in a game at a reasonable price and length, then you should totally check out Oxenfree: http://store.steampowered.com/app/388880/?snr=1_7_15__13. It's like someone took the teens from Life is Strange, wrote them like teens, and then put a good, spooky story around it. Also Deadbolt is pretty great but it makes me realize that they're never going to fix the coop problems with Risk of Rain.

• Locked thread