Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Pash is also a noted weakling, and probably refuses to pick up the hobo when the hobo is drunk and needs a ride home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
You can call me weak when you are further in the game than I am. Also learn to use a phone right.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I am seriously considering, should te Mines survive, moving them to Stardew Valley.

It's so good, you guys.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I don't know, the mine in Stardew valley is full of monsters, might be hard to play baseball in them.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Pash posted:

I don't know, the mine in Stardew valley is full of monsters, might be hard to play baseball in them.

We're talking about a team that is apparently playing in the Centralia mine fire. They could live with it.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Hi, I am again looking to make a trade.

I have the #3 pick which means either Babe Ruth or Ted Williams. However, I need 2B , 3B and high level relievers more than I need a god-tier OF who doesn't play great defense. So if you want a Ruth or Williams, make an offer or talk to me in the IRC

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Pick 'em: FINALS!
Pick the WINNER, NUMBER OF GAMES (best of seven), and SCORE OF FINAL GAME!

Easy W's in 7, 2-1 with Jack McDowell winning game 7 somehow

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
I'm not a wrestling fan, but I have sources that say that was a very accurate depiction of a real wrestling response podcast. Even without that understanding, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Well done, Smasher. As for D&D, I'd probably be more of a weekend guy since my free time during the week tends to be scattered.

HulkaMatt is right. All my pitchers are basically the same. That's why I'm just going to leave the rotation in it's current state and trust in the four guys I have there. And gently caress using bullpens.

vs. RHP w/DH
SS The Masked Shorstop
2B Rogers Hornsby
1B Albert Pujols
3B George Brett
RF Frank Robinson
DH Jim Bottomley
LF Carl Yastrzemski
CF Willie Mays
C Ted Simmons

Bench: (to set the 25-man playoff roster)
C Darrell Porter
IF Johnny Pesky
OF Manny Ramirez
OF Pete Browning
2B George Grantham

vs. LHP w/DH
SS The Masked Shortstop
2B Rogers Hornsby
1B Albert Pujols
RF Frank Robinson
CF Willie Mays
DH Manny Ramirez
3B George Brett
C Ted Simmons
LF Pete Browning

Bring it on, W's.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
oh uh dibs on the Wednesday group i guess

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Hey just wanted to make ultra sure that THE PEOPLE'S LEFT HANDER is now :siren: GONE FOREVER :siren: and not in this draft

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

HulkaMatt posted:

Hey just wanted to make ultra sure that THE PEOPLE'S LEFT HANDER is now :siren: GONE FOREVER :siren: and not in this draft

Do people want him to stay?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
If he dies, he dies.

Edit: prizes should die with the team no? Seems more fun

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Do people want him to stay?

He's not my left-hander, I didn't even vote for him!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

shepard.shouldgo posted:

Hi, I am again looking to make a trade.

I have the #3 pick which means either Babe Ruth or Ted Williams. However, I need 2B , 3B and high level relievers more than I need a god-tier OF who doesn't play great defense. So if you want a Ruth or Williams, make an offer or talk to me in the IRC

I have a young Alex Centaur Rodriguez who has played 3B for me, plus Aroldis Chapman and a plethora of corner outfielders, as well as my own draft pick, that could be offered for that pick. I also have a young Eddie Mathews and younger Mike Schmidt who don't perform as well at 3B sometimes, and a Robinson Cano at 2B who is still relatively new to the Super League but hasn't done badly. PM me if any of these names pique your interest, or just post in the thread.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

All of you people with your useful assets and your Babe Ruths, while I have to deal with all of these anti-Mexico rules stopping me from my rightful Babe Ruths

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the only prizes I think shouldn't die with their teams are the real life guys like Cummings or the negro league guys and maybe the machine because he has a history of surviving the death of teams.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

All gimmick players should live forever

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Paul Zuvella posted:

This is true and cool

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I think it's clear which lefty-orthodoxy owner deserves the People's Left-Hander.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
When I eventually die horribly I want Maniac Magee to live.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

CraigK posted:

oh uh dibs on the Wednesday group i guess

Ya someone fill me in as this on whatever spreadsheet may or may not exist thanks

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

We still have the Roy Hobbses, don't we? Custom players are volatile and subject to the whims of the people running the leagues, so if they want to gamble that way, why not let them.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Paul Zuvella posted:

This.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I hope to one day do a thing notable enough to get me a gimmick player such as Mexican Babe Ruth or Swearing Tirade Dinger Hitting Ichiro

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Not a huge deal to me - but if I had a vote i'd want to keep the TPH around.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

rabidsquid posted:

I hope to one day do a thing notable enough to get me a gimmick player such as Mexican Babe Ruth or Swearing Tirade Dinger Hitting Ichiro

Hector Espino has been in the league.

As I recall he was kinda bad.

Also, keep the People's Left-Hander

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

I vote keep the people's lefty

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Let's kill him, or at least cut a finger off.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Cut a finger off

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The Peoples' Most-of-a-Left-Hander.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I haven't seen a single owner ask The People's Lefthander what they would prefer. Shameful.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DannoMack posted:

I haven't seen a single owner ask The People's Lefthander what they would prefer. Shameful.

He is an arm (literally) of the proletariat. It is not for him to selfishly decide what is best for the people.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Anyways Trade -

Centralia Mines receive:
Pick #15
Pick #44
'06 John McGraw
'41 Jimmie Foxx
'10 Joe Jackson
'75 Rod Carew

Oklahoma City Bombers receive:
Pick #2
This was the last package for a pick that'd get Babe Ruth.

Now, I'll grant that the league is different 1 season later, team needs are different, resources are different, and the #3 pick in this draft may end up being Ted Williams and not Babe Ruth.

But despite the fact I'm a really crappy judge of trades and player value and team building, I'm pretty sure anyone with the top 3 picks shouldn't sell for much less than the kind of package above. And if any of those teams are unable to find a suitor and end up with Babe Ruth or Ted Williams...that's not really a problem.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

One could maybe use the trade I made with Pash as a comparison, substituting Ted Williams + Nap Lajoie + Cool Papa Bell for Babe Ruth, I guess?

Pash posted:

Trade:

Commission sends:
1910 Eddie Collins
1915 Joe Jackson
1888 Roger Connor
2013 Johathan Papelbon

Zephyrs Send:
1950 Ted Williams
1933(?) Cool Papa Bell
1902 Nap Lajoie

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

FairGame posted:

This was the last package for a pick that'd get Babe Ruth.

Now, I'll grant that the league is different 1 season later, team needs are different, resources are different, and the #3 pick in this draft may end up being Ted Williams and not Babe Ruth.

But despite the fact I'm a really crappy judge of trades and player value and team building, I'm pretty sure anyone with the top 3 picks shouldn't sell for much less than the kind of package above. And if any of those teams are unable to find a suitor and end up with Babe Ruth or Ted Williams...that's not really a problem.

For the record, I later flipped that 15th pick for the 63rd pick, Deacon Phillippe, and Robin Yount. I think the 44th turned into... Jeff Reardon, maybe? Point is, I turned that one Potential Babe Ruth (tm) into 8 players - none of which approached a Babe Ruth in value individually, but almost all of which did Good Things (tm) for my team - or at least, none of which failed to be an improvement over the dross I had beforehand. Some people will still claim I got rooked, but given the season's results - a very respectable finish in a division that had the god drat Killer Mikes in it - I think it worked out pretty drat well.

In my admittedly limited Super-League experience, having One Amazing Player is a luxury; it is more important to have Twenty Decent Players. The output of a Babe Ruth doesn't necessarily make up for the lack of output you'll get from dudes who are bad. My plan has been to get a decent foundation, try to stay alive, and see if we can put together a package for someone else's Ruth-level picks somewhere down the road.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

For the record, I later flipped that 15th pick for the 63rd pick, Deacon Phillippe, and Robin Yount. I think the 44th turned into... Jeff Reardon, maybe? Point is, I turned that one Potential Babe Ruth (tm) into 8 players - none of which approached a Babe Ruth in value individually, but almost all of which did Good Things (tm) for my team - or at least, none of which failed to be an improvement over the dross I had beforehand. Some people will still claim I got rooked, but given the season's results - a very respectable finish in a division that had the god drat Killer Mikes in it - I think it worked out pretty drat well.

In my admittedly limited Super-League experience, having One Amazing Player is a luxury; it is more important to have Twenty Decent Players. The output of a Babe Ruth doesn't necessarily make up for the lack of output you'll get from dudes who are bad. My plan has been to get a decent foundation, try to stay alive, and see if we can put together a package for someone else's Ruth-level picks somewhere down the road.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say "twenty decent players."

The Space Fish are full of decent players with not a star among them, and what that gets you is a .500 record at best.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

FairGame posted:

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say "twenty decent players."

The Space Fish are full of decent players with not a star among them, and what that gets you is a .500 record at best.

In the Super-League? Sure. In the Sub-Par League? That's a different calculation, IMHO.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

The Commullamas got ty Cobb, Cy young, Mariano Rivera and hank Aaron for their Ruth if that helps people gauge what to ask for a top two pick.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

My current view is that I will NEVER be in a better position than I am now( #3 overall pick , relatively strong starting pitching, a good closer, locked down at a number of spots) meaning I can happily take a Ruth/Williams and have it improve my team. In other words, this pick is not going to be cheap and will probably take Collins/Gehringer/Papelbon level players and maybe a draft pick. I could consider throwing something in to even out a trade slightly (though for the record, Triss Speaker is not for sale).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

It turns out that having a Mantle and/or Musial made for my worst teams, the Corruption and Sad Pandas. Superstars are a luxury that can't guarantee anything. My teams now are built on finding good fits for each position rather than the gaudiest numbers.

Then again a Ruth almost single-handedly dragged my wife's team out of the Subpar League so there is that. Sometimes Babe Ruth IS the player you desperately need to fill a Reggie Jackson sized hole in your lineup!

I'd have taken the two deals listed below in a heartbeat. Cobb, a great starter, a great reliever, and an adequate replacement for Ruth? That's pretty good if you needed a better CF, and everyone could use a good starter/reliever. The Mines trade wasn't a travesty, but it was a little bit dicier since the ages of some of those names were bad (Foxx is too old, Jackson too young), and Phillippe is solid but not elite. If he could have squeezed a good modern reliever out of it I'd say that'd be great. Still, McGraw and Carew are fine bats to get, and on the whole it's a rolling the dice on 6 could-be-very-good guys across multiple positions instead of taking one "oh yeah he's great" corner outfielder.