Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, last round trip I took between Pittsburgh and DC averaged 34.5 MPG. That was averaging above 70mph the whole way and the PA turnpike ain't exactly flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Chriskory posted:

an RX8 with good fuel economy

And an engine that doesn't need to be rebuilt every 100k.

I would totally buy one if I could afford it.

Speaking of affording something, does anyone here have an SVX? How hard is it to find replacement parts? That's been my dream car since I was 17.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Speaking of affording something, does anyone here have an SVX? How hard is it to find replacement parts? That's been my dream car since I was 17.

Anything non-SVX-specific (engine, trans, probably a bunch of other stuff)? no harder than usual

Anything SVX-specific? Very.

If you ever find an SVX in a junkyard with an intact windshield, PULL IT. They are worth like $2000 or some poo poo. Unobtanium.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Long in advance of doing either option, but just trying to plan out before I spend more money slowly accumulating parts (or not) And mostly I'm waiting for my first work-coffee to kick in so I can be productive.

So I'm DDing a bugeye, still on the original EJ205, at about 170k miles. No signs that anything is going wrong, but I like the car and it's my intent to just keep fixing it and upgrading stuff a bit so I don't get bored and take out a loan on some stupidly expensive replacement. Suspension and maybe driveline (mostly bought, a question if I get to it) is this year, then on to power. And basically I'm torn between a mildly built engine or a 207 swap. Engine plans would be on the order of a 2.1 stroked closed deck EJ20G block (which I already have sitting around) with ported 205 heads and cams, while the 207 would be an unopened 207. Target either way is 93 octane power and adult-driven-non-launching-5-speed torque, so about 350-375hp and 300ft/lbs - so it's not like I'm asking the moon. I like the idea of doing a built engine - it seems to me that a used 207 will be, by definition, used in god knows what way, whereas I know I can select better quality parts than Subaru bothered to use. But will even 4032 forged pistons held to fairly tight PTW last? I'd prefer to not have to open the thing up again for quite a while. And yeah, I know AVCS on the 207 helps low end torque and all that... but I'm not sure I actually care, given I know how to actually downshift and all that jazz.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Had a buddy in the same situation, he's in the middle of his 207 swap. Sounded like the cost was more than his car was worth but he likes it enough I guess and is the original owner.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

22 Eargesplitten posted:

And an engine that doesn't need to be rebuilt every 100k.

I would totally buy one if I could afford it.

Engine rebuilds are what make a subaru a subaru.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I always hate looking at stuff like this in terms of what things are "worth", you know? By the end point (and I have a defined end point) I'll probably have around as much into upgrading this WRX as I paid for it, and I know if I were to sell it I'll never get that money back out of it. On the other hand, if I fix all the stuff Subaru screwed up (ok, stuff that isn't to my taste, whatever) why would I sell it?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

nm posted:

I meant that rotaries need complete rebuilds a lot more often than 4-strokes. I know you've had nothing but trouble with yours, though. Maybe it's just NA vs forced induction.

I'm moving somewhere with worse traffic, which is why I asked about the SVX. I figure that an automatic GT car would be a lot more pleasant than my stick Outback Sport for stop and go driving. I really hope that they become classic enough cars one day to have people making repro parts like old muscle cars do.

Are the EG33 parts interchangeable with the EJ22 parts?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Rolled over 200k today. :toot:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

mekilljoydammit posted:

Long in advance of doing either option, but just trying to plan out before I spend more money slowly accumulating parts (or not) And mostly I'm waiting for my first work-coffee to kick in so I can be productive.

So I'm DDing a bugeye, still on the original EJ205, at about 170k miles. No signs that anything is going wrong, but I like the car and it's my intent to just keep fixing it and upgrading stuff a bit so I don't get bored and take out a loan on some stupidly expensive replacement. Suspension and maybe driveline (mostly bought, a question if I get to it) is this year, then on to power. And basically I'm torn between a mildly built engine or a 207 swap. Engine plans would be on the order of a 2.1 stroked closed deck EJ20G block (which I already have sitting around) with ported 205 heads and cams, while the 207 would be an unopened 207. Target either way is 93 octane power and adult-driven-non-launching-5-speed torque, so about 350-375hp and 300ft/lbs - so it's not like I'm asking the moon. I like the idea of doing a built engine - it seems to me that a used 207 will be, by definition, used in god knows what way, whereas I know I can select better quality parts than Subaru bothered to use. But will even 4032 forged pistons held to fairly tight PTW last? I'd prefer to not have to open the thing up again for quite a while. And yeah, I know AVCS on the 207 helps low end torque and all that... but I'm not sure I actually care, given I know how to actually downshift and all that jazz.

I did the 207 and would suggest that. I had 400 hp on 91. It drove like a factory car, and I really liked that part of it.
I would trust an oem more than building some aftermarket thing personally, but thats your call.

Doing the Koni and STi springs was a huge step in feeling sporty, so certainly do that first.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

nm posted:

You know it's bad when like half of all used Subarus on craigslist mentions something like "130k on the car, 40k on the new engine!". And drat near all of them mention having the headgaskets replaced at least once.

I don't understand how Subaru has a reputation of low-cost, bulletproof reliability akin to Toyota. They're good cars for what they are and fill their niche very well, but their long term maintenance and repairs are closer to a VW than a Toyota.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It's from people that buy na Subarus new then sell or trade in before 120k.

A friend was buying a used car and her fb friends (mainly homely middle aged white females) were chiming in saying to buy a Subaru and saying they were totally problem free, so I was like "yeah they are great just make sure the headgaskets were done in addition to the timing belt" and lo and behold one of the people that recommended them was like "oh YEAH... I forgot my forester started leaking from the heads and eventually I had to trade it in! Forgot about that!"

Like how do you forget about something like that?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I think that it's because they often rust to poo poo before they fail catastrophically, or at least EJ22 engined cars did, which made them seem unkillable, despite the fact that other brands with similar miles and years on them probably would have had similar repair costs at best without the rust.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Guinness posted:

You know it's bad when like half of all used Subarus on craigslist mentions something like "130k on the car, 40k on the new engine!". And drat near all of them mention having the headgaskets replaced at least once.

I don't understand how Subaru has a reputation of low-cost, bulletproof reliability akin to Toyota. They're good cars for what they are and fill their niche very well, but their long term maintenance and repairs are closer to a VW than a Toyota.

Apart from the Phase 1 headgasket issues, NA Subarus ARE incredibly reliable. The turbo ones seem to get assfucked by the piss that passes for fuel in the USA tho, the ringlands issues just don't happen in Australia like they do in the USA

quote:

I meant that rotaries need complete rebuilds a lot more often than 4-strokes

No they dont.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Apart from the Phase 1 headgasket issues, NA Subarus ARE incredibly reliable. The turbo ones seem to get assfucked by the piss that passes for fuel in the USA tho, the ringlands issues just don't happen in Australia like they do in the USA

No they dont.

What about the many sub-25k miles #3-4 bearing failures? (Particularly on the 2015s...like mine)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The turbo ones seem to get assfucked by the piss that passes for fuel in the USA tho, the ringlands issues just don't happen in Australia like they do in the USA.

Not designing for the destination market is a failure in engineering no matter how your slice it. If a factory car is tuned too close to the edge that a fraction of octane lower fuel lunches the engine, then it's the fault of the designer.

Yes, that would probably mean selling them at lower HP in the states until they designed something better. But that's preferable to the alternative.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah people here complain about the gearbox a lot more than the car leaning out. But thats what happens when you put a lot of power through a stock 10 year old wrx 5 speed and drop the clutch all the time to launch it.

People poo poo on Subarus locally because they arent rwd and therefore cant go to bogan skids on a thursday night too.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Are 2015+ catbacks the only ones that properly fit the "VA" 2015 or will other GR chassis mount/look alright as well?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 18, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The back of them is pretty similar but I don't know for sure. What exhaust were you looking at?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

jamal posted:

The back of them is pretty similar but I don't know for sure. What exhaust were you looking at?

I'm not really picky, but I am kinda cheap. Looking for something sub $500 and don't mind buying used. Only requirement is a dual exhaust and a tab more power throughout the RPM.

I'm in a weird spot where I have a warranty for 7yr/100k (twas free after my #3 rod bearing ate itself) but I want to mod the car to be more exciting to drive. With my two '02s I could mod them until they broke because I had a Tactrix...but everything worth doing on the 2015 seems to need a tune so I am basically stuck with a K&N air filter and CBE for exhaust it seems unless I want to void that sweet sweet warranty.

...also considering underdrive pulleys, opinions welcome on non tune-needing, motor-warranty-voiding mods.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 18, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Even a K&N filter and a catback technically needs a tune :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Really? That's what I heard when I was fantasizing about RX-8s.

I feel like saying this is going to jinx it, but my EJ22 hasn't had any problems aside from normal wear, and that's at 170k. I got it at 117k. I put a lot of money into it over the past 2 years, but that was after nothing from 120 to 150. Since may 2014, I've put over 20k on it. When I decide to upgrade, I'm keeping this thing as a project. For clarity, the work hasn't been on the engine, aside from having the plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets done. gently caress doing the plugs on that thing.

My friend had a first generation legacy at 225 on the odometer. Probably more since it was a salvage rebuild. He had to replace the fuel pump a couple times, the second gear synchros were gone, and he had to replace the clutch, but the engine never had any problems.

I'm probably never buying a 2.5, though.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 18, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

literally a fish posted:

Even a K&N filter and a catback technically needs a tune :v:

I think some of the "needs a tune for everything" is total bullshit based on tuning my 02s.

...but I don't want to get in a fight with the dealership even if I'd win.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

mekilljoydammit posted:

Im in the exact same situation with an 04 and the same miles. I rallycross the piss out of mine and am trying to start a local rallycross program. The only advantage I have, its its not my DD, its my 3rd car though I pretty much DD it.
Things that are on my car:
Light weight flywheel (I didnt do it and Id rather it be stock)
Aluminum rad
SPT intake
Cobb catted DP
No name decatted up pipe
Blitz touring exhaust
Homegrown tune

Things I plan on doing, in this order:
Mud flaps
Skid plates
Feal 441 long travel suspension
04 STI or JDM sti drive line
Either 205 stoker build, or an EJ207. The torque matters to me though, because thats where the STIs kill me right now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CarForumPoster posted:

I think some of the "needs a tune for everything" is total bullshit based on tuning my 02s.

It ain't 2002 anymore. You'd be surprised how sensitive automotive control systems are nowadays. After calibrating for an OEM I pretty much never want to mod newer cars now. The aftermarket doesn't have the same access and tools (an know how for the billion different calibrations) that we do and it would be a nightmare. Luckily "tuners" just shut off diagnostics and other stuff. :v:

Sorry, not the thread for this derail.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 18, 2016

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
God, I ran my Cobb intake on a stock tune the other day to bring it to the dealership for the ECU reflash recall thing going on with 2015s and it ran like poo poo. Power delivery was all hiccuppy. It did not feel right at all. I actually sat in the dealer lot afterward and reinstalled the tune there.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Sold my 04 to a nice kid last night. Sad to see it go after 11 fun years of ownership, and I was amazed how many calls I got. I had people from Florida and SC ready to fly up to see the car.

Edit: is buying a set of snow tires and wheels a good idea in the spring or are the prices pretty constant? This is for my 2016 wrx.

Mercury Ballistic fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 18, 2016

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Where I am, the prices for Winter Tires do dip a little bit, if you can find your stock on hand. Otherwise if they need to place a purchase order, then it's back to regular price.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Friend on a tight budget is looking at this, what should she worry about and/or PPI?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5497825257.html

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

blk posted:

Friend on a tight budget is looking at this, what should she worry about and/or PPI?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5497825257.html

Oh craigslist, never change :allears: 35th anniversery edition ~rare~ with no pictures of badging to back up the claim. Fantastic. Also, are 4EATs okay with being flat towed behind RVs for 35k miles?
e: also, I thought that the EZ30 was a great motor that didn't need timing chains and headgaskets unless they get run low on oil...

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 19, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Flat towing? hell no. IIRC you can flat tow the manuals in neutral, but the manual says not to tow the autos above 25mph or for more than 30 miles. But since it survived 35k miles, I'd wager they lifted the front two wheels off the ground and disconnected the rear driveshaft...

Or maybe did the comedy option of towing it with the engine idling and the trans in neutral. I'm not sure that would actually be okay, though.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 19, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Oh craigslist, never change :allears: 35th anniversery edition ~rare~ with no pictures of badging to back up the claim. Fantastic. Also, are 4EATs okay with being flat towed behind RVs for 35k miles?
e: also, I thought that the EZ30 was a great motor that didn't need timing chains and headgaskets unless they get run low on oil...

I thought the same about the EZ30 but I've only been looking at 07-09s so assumed older 6 cyl cars like this were some different mill. Didn't even see the towing, yikes.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

literally a fish posted:

But since it survived 35k miles, I'd wager they lifted the front two wheels off the ground and disconnected the rear driveshaft...

This'd actually be ok wouldn't it? I mean if you had to tow it 35k miles

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Yep. Transmission parts wouldn't be spinning, so it'd be fine. IIRC there are some companies that make driveshaft disconnect devices for almost this exact situation (they're intended for flat towing RWD cars, but close enough)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I've got some nice gearbox whine developing in my 07 WRX. Pitch increases with road speed, starts around 40mph regardless of gear and still there when coasting in neutral. Momentarily louder and more grindy when engaging 3rd or 5th. Shifting is still perfectly smooth.

Changed gear oil, didn't help. Where do I start?

This loving car. :smith:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Does it sound like this and go away at around 50-55mph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDShiHP8GHA

Because if so...

this post should help;

stevobob posted:

I did up a post in this thread a while back detailing how I fixed this noise in my 04 Impreza, the culprit is worn roller bearings in the center differential. They receive insufficient lubrication from factory design. I'll try to link it here but I'm on the Awful mobile app and I dunno if I can link posts.

Edit: wow that was easy

Edit not so easy attempt #2 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&pagenumber=613&perpage=40#post450512127

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Hey lesbians. Thank you for your previous sisterhood and support in pointing me in the right direction for a rebuild for the VF40 in my LG(B)T. I'm in the process of pulling it right now and it's about ready to come out (very proud of her atm) but the only thing I haven't gotten disconnected is the oil return line. How the hell do I get to it? Is it just a slip fit, can I just yank the turbo up and it will pop off, or do I need to disconnect it with more precision and subtlety?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

literally a fish posted:

Does it sound like this and go away at around 50-55mph?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDShiHP8GHA

Because if so...

this post should help;
It's still there regardless of throttle/in/out of gear and doesn't go away as speed increases, just gets higher-pitched. I'll look into it though, thanks.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Could just be diff whine :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Fifty Three posted:

It's still there regardless of throttle/in/out of gear and doesn't go away as speed increases, just gets higher-pitched. I'll look into it though, thanks.

Wheel bearing?

I had one grumbling so badly that I couldn't hear the engine. Now that I can I wonder if a subaru is supposed to sound that lopey :v: