Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bhsman posted:

Either way, it's weird that people are hoping for that sort of outcome. Worried that your cynicism so far will look silly in retrospect? Genuine question, FWIW.

I want it to be good. And im not gonna but you could ask the same genuine question fwiw about your optimism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Evos gonna be cool cuz I got seats in the front section suck it nerds!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Evos gonna be so boring even people who like sf5 will agree. im just saying this now so i can call back to it if im right and let it disappear if im wrong

Nah, you just toxxed yourself. If no one here (aside you) claims the top 8 of SFV is boring, you lose. See you at the EVO thread :)

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Lucky i didnt put anything on the line and i have no self worth to lose

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I still think it's insane that Pokken is a main event game at EVO. Like, I understand that it's a legit Tekken game that happens to be all pokemon. It just feels like it would be a total outsider game, which I guess makes it fitting that it replaced Persona 4 Ultimax.

I'm not trying to knock either of those games, but they both have this "odd one out" vibe on the lineup.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I read all these posts in Dwight Shrute's voice, fwiw

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I still think it's insane that Pokken is a main event game at EVO. Like, I understand that it's a legit Tekken game that happens to be all pokemon. It just feels like it would be a total outsider game, which I guess makes it fitting that it replaced Persona 4 Ultimax.

Didn't EVO last year have Splatoon? While it's a really fun game, it's not even a fighting game to begin with. Mr Wizard's just putting in the games that their sponsors have to show off. At least Pokken is appropriate, probably more so than the Smash games but... can of worms.

Then again, the Catherine side tournament was the best thing ever and I hope it's back.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Saoshyant posted:

Didn't EVO last year have Splatoon? While it's a really fun game, it's not even a fighting game to begin with. Mr Wizard's just putting in the games that their sponsors have to show off. At least Pokken is appropriate, probably more so than the Smash games but... can of worms.

Then again, the Catherine side tournament was the best thing ever and I hope it's back.

No, splatoon was not aa main eevent.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I want it to be good. And im not gonna but you could ask the same genuine question fwiw about your optimism

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Lucky i didnt put anything on the line and i have no self worth to lose

I mean, my standard for success is not only relatively low but already met; the game is fun to me and among the established middle-to-upper tier of the FGC the game is real popular and means I get to watch cool high-level play on Wednesdays, most Thursdays, and some weekends while trying to improve at my own pace. The conversation that preceded this was about people going nuts over Moons teleporting->grab setup and people complimenting the set for being awesome, and it's not the first time, either. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I'm already pretty satisfied with the game, for the most part. :shrug: Obviously there are still issues with stuff like the ragequitters or the recent v-sync thing, and those should be fixed.

And you can't really say anything about my 'optimism' because I haven't been explicitly optimistic about the game in ways that reality hasn't already supplemented so far. EVO is upgrading to a larger arena not because people are just assuming it needs to, but because of neccesity; hell, Mr. Wizard on Twitter is hinting that SFV registrations are off the charts so far, and that's just SFV. You can have complaints about the game launching with less content than is desired or developing it better, but it just seems like you are just hoping it turns out bad for vindication more than anything else.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Most people hete will hate evo just because of smash so who cares

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tae posted:

Fair; it takes forever, can lead to boring matches, and other than Hungrybox and Armada (and even then probably only Armada) the high-level players come off as assholes to me (Mangothrowingmedalintocrowd.gif).

I think it would be funny if Pokken ends up being really hype and we see an R. Pika main win the whole thing. :3:

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bhsman posted:

And you can't really say anything about my 'optimism' because I haven't been explicitly optimistic about the game in ways that reality hasn't already supplemented so far. EVO is upgrading to a larger arena not because people are just assuming it needs to, but because of neccesity; hell, Mr. Wizard on Twitter is hinting that SFV registrations are off the charts so far, and that's just SFV. You can have complaints about the game launching with less content than is desired or developing it better, but it just seems like you are just hoping it turns out bad for vindication more than anything else.

Your standard for whats good enough is obviously lower than mine since you know i feel the game is a failure on levels beyond the purely technical and you would probably like whatever fighting game they put out regardless. thats not an insult just saying were operating on very different levels of expectation/pickiness here

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Your standard for whats good enough is obviously lower than mine since you know i feel the game is a failure on levels beyond the purely technical and you would probably like whatever fighting game they put out regardless. thats not an insult just saying were operating on very different levels of expectation/pickiness here

I get that, and likewise don't blame you for feeling differently, but extending that dislike to wanting EVO is fail just comes across is petty is all.

EDIT: Also I can't stand UMvC so try again, bud :c00l:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

bhsman posted:

Fair; it takes forever, can lead to boring matches, and other than Hungrybox and Armada (and even then probably only Armada) the high-level players come off as assholes to me (Mangothrowingmedalintocrowd.gif).

I think it would be funny if Pokken ends up being really hype and we see an R. Pika main win the whole thing. :3:

I'll probably watch the Street Fighter and Pokken matches, and maybe glance at MKX and KI for some variety. I guess it depends on the scheduling.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Pokken is hype, like you said. It's a weird lineup title, but it seems like it could be good for some, I dunno, levity I guess? Pro Smash is way too businesslike for me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Marvel should die already unless they open mic the players on stage.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bhsman posted:

I get that, and likewise don't blame you for feeling differently, but extending that dislike to wanting EVO is fail just comes across is petty is all.

EDIT: Also I can't stand UMvC so try again, bud :c00l:

well i dont want evo to fail i just expect it to be bad. relatively since its always some degree of fun watching like a vf side or whatever or xiaohai beating the entirety of mexico in 98 with one hand

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tae posted:

Marvel should die already unless they open mic the players on stage.

:yeah:
I find Marvel to be a visual clusterfuck without beauty or art, but drat if I haven't heard the world's finest trash-talk come out of those guys' mouths.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

marvel will be the best top 8 at this evo but nobody will watch it

sf5 will be the exact same game as it is right now but with less slop

mkxl will net sonicfox another 50k and he will go on to buy a house before he enters college with his money

edit:
guilty gear will have the highest quality of play but nobody will care because no american will make it into top 8

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 18, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

dangerdoom volvo posted:

well i dont want evo to fail i just expect it to be bad. relatively since its always some degree of fun watching like a vf side or whatever or xiaohai beating the entirety of mexico in 98 with one hand

Alright, but that was joined with 'even people who like sf5 will agree' and this followed a half-page or so of people talking about how hype Moons dash setup was. :v: The reaction seems to be genuinely positive, in spite of individual issues with the game or relatively low sales.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's really interesting how on SA people really, really hate SFV and won't stop bitching about it, but when I go to FGC events and the arcade, the reception ranges from lukewarm to positive. And I know a lot of people who just hated SF4 who feel okay with SF5. Granted, I think most of the goodwill towards SF5 is that it isn't SF4... it's sorta like how Obama got a Nobel Prize for not being Bush.

But yeah, I'm probably just going to watch SF5, Xrd and maaaaybe Pokken because the rest of the lineup doesn't wow me.

Honestly I haven't watched many streams at all in the past 2 years or so because USF4 and Marvel 3 just bore me to tears at this point. And where I say those games bore me, watching people play Melee puts me into a full blown coma.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I need Yaas Pay Me on loop

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
He's gonna cut out the middleman and buy a college instead I think

Tae posted:

Smash is great because the timing it gets on stage means that I don't have to pay delivery for the pizza I'm gonna order

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Last year's EVO was incredible both in the competitive sense and for the "what the gently caress am I watching" moments. (Strider vs. Skullzer, Woshige no, Frutsy and KBR in Top 8 Marvel) so I'm excited for this one.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
As someone who watches more than plays by a big amount I really liked past year because it felt like a bunch of the SF4 players really hit a level of play we don't always see from them. V seems p good, and was fun the little bit that I played it (poverty gamer here) but it's a new game so I don't know for sure that it's gonna look as good

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The hypest moment of evo last year was the infiltration vs gamerbee counterpickfest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMz23Md1GhU

E: HEALING

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Jmcrofts posted:

The hypest moment of evo last year was the infiltration vs gamerbee counterpickfest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMz23Md1GhU

Oh yeah, I forgot that one - Infiltration playing 6 different characters during his time in Top 8. Also everyone freaking out when he hovers over Rolento is the best.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Death Bot posted:

As someone who watches more than plays by a big amount I really liked past year because it felt like a bunch of the SF4 players really hit a level of play we don't always see from them. V seems p good, and was fun the little bit that I played it (poverty gamer here) but it's a new game so I don't know for sure that it's gonna look as good

yeah thats why im saying sf5 will p much be the same with less slop
a few months in isn't really enough time for any major strides

final round will definitely show just how much dudes are stsfn but i genuinely can't imagine what someone would abuse w/ the constraints sf5 has overall in it's system mechanics

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

deadly_pudding posted:

Pro Smash is way too businesslike for me.

If you mean how esports it is, just you wait since that's clearly the direction SF is pushing itself.

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's really interesting how on SA people really, really hate SFV and won't stop bitching about it, but when I go to FGC events and the arcade, the reception ranges from lukewarm to positive. And I know a lot of people who just hated SF4 who feel okay with SF5.

You should come to where I am then, where my locals didn't like SF4 and moved on to BB/GG. Then SF5 came out, and no one liked it, and everyone stuck to anime.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ventana posted:

You should come to where I am then, where my locals didn't like SF4 and moved on to BB/GG. Then SF5 came out, and no one liked it, and everyone stuck to anime.

I want to live in this paradise on earth.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Fereydun posted:

yeah thats why im saying sf5 will p much be the same with less slop
a few months in isn't really enough time for any major strides

final round will definitely show just how much dudes are stsfn but i genuinely can't imagine what someone would abuse w/ the constraints sf5 has overall in it's system mechanics

moons dashed through a alpha counter

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The big question for SF5 this weekend is whether USA really is the strongest region right now, or if Japan is underestimating/understating their abilities.

From watching a shitload of streams, to me it seems like the best US players (Snake, Arturo, and Moons especially) have a stronger understanding of SF5 as a game. Japan seems much more practiced in the specifics though - on Daigo's stream you can see they all know the frame data of every single situation and what the best answer is (i.e. frame data off v-trigger cancels and other things that it seems like most players don't have down yet).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Death Bot posted:

Smash is great because the timing it gets on stage means that I don't have to pay delivery for the pizza I'm gonna order

This is the sickest burn I've read on this forum in weeks :drat:

I'll be curious to see what the character distribution in SF5 ends up being. Ryu and Chun seem to be the strong picks, but Snake Eyez has been cleaning house at WNF as Zangief, too.

edit:

Ventana posted:

If you mean how esports it is, just you wait since that's clearly the direction SF is pushing itself.

Nah, I just mean pro Smash has this really dry like back and forth quality that I just find sorta unappealing. It's just a lot of dancing around that takes forever because it's a ring-out game. It's only interesting in like giffable 10-second segments where somebody does a sweet ledge fakeout or something.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 18, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Im making another bold prediction and saying nerdjosh is gonna win because its the first month of a new game

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Im making another bold prediction and saying nerdjosh is gonna win because its the first month of a new game

LI JOEEEEE

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ventana posted:

Nah, I have a lot of friends here who all go to an honest to God arcade so I'm good. To be fair, Xrd gets a lot of play too but that's the only anime game a lot of people are into. People are always like "hey, let's play BlazBlue!" then I buy the new BlazBlue and never actually wind up playing it, so I kinda stopped doing that.

However where I'm from, people really, really like ST and 3s so I'm sure it's hell on earth for y'all

Jmcrofts posted:

The big question for SF5 this weekend is whether USA really is the strongest region right now, or if Japan is underestimating/understating their abilities.

From watching a shitload of streams, to me it seems like the best US players (Snake, Arturo, and Moons especially) have a stronger understanding of SF5 as a game. Japan seems much more practiced in the specifics though - on Daigo's stream you can see they all know the frame data of every single situation and what the best answer is (i.e. frame data off v-trigger cancels and other things that it seems like most players don't have down yet).

For once, the US might actually have a chance because SF5 has no arcade release.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Super SF4 was console-only at first and it didn't help the US win many majors, soooo

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is there a schedule for Final Round that shows what games are on what channel (besides the obvious SFV being on capcom's channel)?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

Super SF4 was console-only at first and it didn't help the US win many majors, soooo

Yeah, that's true... I typically figured that Japan is better because of its stronger arcade scene but honestly I dunno why.

Cue someone saying it's because of Asian math superpowers in 3... 2... 1....

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's because they channel their ki into their buttons duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't care about nationality I'm just rooting for Big Body Grappler champs Snakeeyez and FAB.