Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Scouts is just praetorian guard for dick-obsessed battalion commanders who think their KLEs with some assfingering Afghan governor means jack poo poo in the big picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Unimportant and unrelated to current poo poo, but Jesus loving Christ, what the gently caress takes so long to approve a CRSC application? I am just pissed off and want this to be done. It's like the last little game of "Just the Tip" from the green weenie.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Sorry I wasn't trying to assume with certainty what your current diet was like, I just know like a vast majority of soldiers I've met don't give a gently caress about what they put in their bodies. Army does a piss poor job of promoting a healthier diet.

Well, hopefully when you get out, you might have an easier time with it. Getting out certainly didn't solve a lot of my issues, but definitely aggravated them less, so here's to hoping that post army is a breakthrough for you.

No worries. I honestly feel gross after eating fast food and stuff. Ever sinc Ive learned how to cook I've much preferred to make my own stuff. Not like pre-assembled bullshit either but mostly everything from scratch (gently caress making pasta from scratch) etc. i think my biggest complaint is that the BMI system we use is horribly inaccurate and outdated. I mean, I'm thick but fatter people have passed because of tree trunk necks.

Sugar is probably my biggest enemy. I love fruit, but the nature of sedentary jobs make it easier to grab a soda and a box of nerds or something instead of an apple. I make conscious choices when I go out to eat, but it's the work day that sucks. I need to go back and get some more sunflower seeds.

Ace of Baes posted:

If you're trying to lose weight I'd suggest Stronglifts aka SL5x5, I did it on deployment and ate like a pig and still went from like 190 to 160 in somewhere around 14 or 15 weeks, it's only every other day too and will give you decent strength. Also it's super duper simple so you don't have to worry about getting the reverse side downwards tri lateral shoulder pull down machine at the gym.

I'd love to do something like this, but the nature of my injuries gently caress me. The lower legs (failing condition) make it so I can't run, jump, or really anything other than walk. And that's at my pace or else pain goes through the roof. I also have a non-failing condition with my left arm. I have 2 plates and 16 screws in it from skateboarding way back in the day and when I joined I had full function-ability. Now, I can't hold my left arm palm up at all. Closest I can get is about 45 degrees. I tried going hard on weights and it caused too much issue and pain. Felt like the bone was bending with the plates and screws.

That 5 compound fracture happened 3 days before I was put on my dads insurance too. That was expensive as gently caress.

The gym does this weird tension rope thing that breaks you off something fierce that I liked, but you can't do it during pt hours, and I think they got rid of the instructors fr some reason. It's like TRX or something.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I got roped into P90X or Insanity or whichever one when they were all the rage while I was out in Afghanistan because if there's one thing the Army has never managed to gently caress up it's PT. They made us do some kind of side-to-side shuttle sprint jumping thing that made me fall to the ground in pain when what I assume was a ligament on the outside of my knee decided that was a bad thing. So of course the Army had to Army it up and I was told I could skip that one exercise but had to keep doing the rest of the program next day. Well the program loving loved making us do burpees and I had to do them until I blacked out because that specific exercise has always hosed with my balance and made me queasy to do it.

Now I'm out and I exercise on my own and yet somehow I manage to not injure myself on a regular basis all while not wearing a reflective belt. Amazing how that works.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

Unimportant and unrelated to current poo poo, but Jesus loving Christ, what the gently caress takes so long to approve a CRSC application? I am just pissed off and want this to be done. It's like the last little game of "Just the Tip" from the green weenie.

It took me about six months once the paperwork actually got to where it had to be. Then I got the VA's chunk of it about a month after the fact. This was about 18 months ago maybe, so it might be different now.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Yeah.

That's why it won't happen.

I'll just go to school and get a job. But it's fun to daydream that it wouldn't turn into a slaughter fest within a week. Not so much fun thinking about the prison time I'd do for smashing faces in with a sledgehammer.
I dunno, a couple years ago I drove from Bragg to Seattle, stopping in Chicago to visit museums and hitting up northern states until I found I-90. I found out about these folks at one of my hotels and it's something I missed about tracking out after the Army if service is still on my mind.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SumYungGui posted:

Now I'm out and I exercise on my own and yet somehow I manage to not injure myself on a regular basis all while not wearing a reflective belt. Amazing how that works.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Whats the deal with 1SGs having huge boners for cross fit

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

Whats the deal with 1SGs having huge boners for cross fit

First Sergeant doesn't have time for PT, but has time to ruin his joints and body other ways.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
We had one like that. Rock hard moto boner for PRT and crossfit.

Then hurt his shoulder doing something dumb and they told him that his shoulder needed a complete reconstruction, and probably wouldnt be able to do much with his arm afterwards.

Kind of lost his enthusiasm for everything crossfit and PT after that. Who knows how many other people he crippled before that though.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

not caring here posted:

Who knows how many other people he crippled before that though.

Which brings back the old topic "leaders should be required to maintain a count of the people in their command they've permanently damaged". Or just burn everyone. Sanitation by fire.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

psydude posted:

Does this apply to officers, too?

I stand corrected. I followed up and it applies to Warrants, but not commissioned officers.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Soulex posted:

The gym does this weird tension rope thing that breaks you off something fierce that I liked, but you can't do it during pt hours, and I think they got rid of the instructors fr some reason. It's like TRX or something.

Are you seeing a physical therapist at all?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The It's Always Sunny episode from last season about the Crossfit Cult Dennis started hit the nail on the head

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

not caring here posted:

We had one like that. Rock hard moto boner for PRT and crossfit.

Then hurt his shoulder doing something dumb and they told him that his shoulder needed a complete reconstruction, and probably wouldnt be able to do much with his arm afterwards.

Kind of lost his enthusiasm for everything crossfit and PT after that. Who knows how many other people he crippled before that though.

On my last deployment my shoulder was separated and ended up being all kinds of hosed requiring surgery, so while I was waiting to go to BAF and eventually back to the States I was stuck being TOC bitch. My 1SG at the time was a huge tool and whenever he saw that I was in the TOC he'd talk to the company medic about how he hurt his shoulder lifting, but after he drank some water and had some ibuprofen he was good to go and went right back to lifting. gently caress that guy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I had to request an official transcript from the Army via email, since they couldn't send it directly to another federal agency through the online portal to request it. Do any of you have any ideas regarding the turnaround on that (outside of "lol never")?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

sky shark posted:

Are you seeing a physical therapist at all?

Tried to 3 times. Was told "nothing we can do."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I think I just found the best MoH winner right here.

some stupid loving website posted:

One of the more darkly humorous episodes of warfare occurred on 29 January 1945, in Holzheim, Belgium. Funk and his paratroopers were assaulting the town, and he left a rearguard of 4 men, while he scouted ahead to link up with other units, Those 4 men had to guard about 80 German prisoners. Another German patrol of 10 happened by and overwhelmed the 4 Americans, freeing the prisoners and arming them. When Funk returned around the corner of a building, he was met by a German officer with an MP-40 in his stomach. The German shouted something at him, and Funk looked around.There were now about 90 Germans, about half of them armed, and 5 Americans, disarmed except for Funk. The German shouted the same thing at him again, and Funk started laughing. He claimed later that he tried to stop laughing, but the fact that the German was shouting in German touched a nerve. Funk didn’t speak German. Neither did any of the other Americans. Why would the German officer expect him to understand?His laughter and non-compliance caused some of the Germans to start laughing. Funk shrugged at them and started laughing so hard he had to bend over. He called to his men, “I don’t understand what he’s saying!” All the while, the German officer was shouting more and more angrily.Then, quick as lightning, Funk swung his Thompson submachine gun up and emptied the entire clip into the German, 30 rounds of .45 ACP. Before the other Germans could react, he had yanked the clip out and slammed another in and opened fire on all of them, screaming to his men to pick up weapons. They did so, and proceeded to gun down 20 men. The rest dropped their weapons and put their hands up.Then Funk started laughing again and said to his men, “That was the stupidest loving thing I’ve ever seen!”

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
lmao if he magdumped a thompson mag into him

I'm just imagining one of the death animations from Jagged Alliance 2 and losing it

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I can't imagine a crazier time to be in the US Army than WW2, holy poo poo

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

His last quote is army as gently caress

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

He has a gym named after him on Bragg.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im sad that i couldnt do much of anything during my war

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im sad that i couldnt do much of anything during my war

I had a wwf style wrestling match on our camps ad hoc boxing ring right across from the chow hall at lunch, that was pretty cool

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Soulex posted:

o7 gatdam

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
that dude was metal as gently caress

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
HBO, make a drama comedy about the "Adventures of SGT Funk and the Funky Bunch" which uses the George Clinton song "We Got the Funk" as its opening intro.

Someone please forward this suggestion to HBO, Showtime, and wethepeople.gov in order to make this a reality

This concept is entirely copy-write of me do not steal

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

HBO, make a drama comedy about the "Adventures of SGT Funk and the Funky Bunch" which uses the George Clinton song "We Got the Funk" as its opening intro.

Someone please forward this suggestion to HBO, Showtime, and wethepeople.gov in order to make this a reality

This concept is entirely copy-write of me do not steal

I will give twenty US dollars for this. I know what you're thinking too, "this is gonna cost so much dollars to produce." I will render my services for free to play the part of annoying extra who talks to cast.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I had a wwf style wrestling match on our camps ad hoc boxing ring right across from the chow hall at lunch, that was pretty cool

Anybody lose teeth? We knocked some dude tooth out and then had to do a police call to look for it.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Soulex posted:

Tried to 3 times. Was told "nothing we can do."
I don't remember are you being medically separated? If not that's some bullshit and you need to be going up the chain / seeking outside treatment

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

sky shark posted:

I don't remember are you being medically separated? If not that's some bullshit and you need to be going up the chain / seeking outside treatment

Yeah. Just waiting on ratings now.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Soulex posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Captain Napalm's Thermonuclear League of Liberty > Army Thread - That was the stupidest loving thing I’ve ever seen!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Speaking of "stupidest loving thing i've ever seen", I requested a transcript for another federal agency via the online portal (JST) and the person processing the request a) thinks the agency is a school, b) asked me to try and tell them to sign up for a JST account, c) told me to submit an unofficial transcript, because "it contains the same information as the official transcript", d) said I'd need to get something in writing from the agency in question on why an unofficial transcript isn't good enough for them, and e) give my transcript request form to the agency I'm applying to and have them send it to the help desk at JST. :psyduck:

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
I had always felt that everyone I served with in Iraq were completely certain that once the US withdrew that it would turn into a total shitshow. Not that this was an argument in favor of continuing US presence there but more just a general sentiment on how democracy building in Iraq was a total failure.

Did most of you guys feel the same?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, it was stupid from the word go.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yo, these ACAP classes are awesome. They're like "pft whatever, don't pay attention." so I don't. Well I kinda do but being able to listen while playing on my phone is loving surreal. It doesn't feel army at all

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
ACAP is a joke, as is anyone who works in that program.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
it seemed like it was a weeks worth of "LINKED IN IS AWESOME DO THAT"

and then a bunch of really generic advice like "dress appropriate for the interview"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm in a course with a bunch of captains and senior NCO's and when they talk about their deployments to Afghanistan during downtime they pretty much all have experiences that fall in line with what you see in "This is What Winning Looks Like." One of them mentioned a boy in a nearby village getting kidnapped and raped for a month straight before being dropped off back at his families house. Then I found out about CPT Dan Quinn. Guy beat up a Afghan pedophile and got kicked out of the army for it.

Don't even know why we bother trying to "nation build" such a medieval poo poo hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
my last unit just called me asking if I had turned my phone in. I loving went on terminal leave on OCT 2nd. I would have turned the phone in September. What the gently caress you bunch of loving morons :doom:

• Locked thread