Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Idle pondering: It would be nice if the biter evolution was real evolution akin to what happens in Warning Forever, wherein the enemies adapt to the ways you beat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

SinineSiil posted:

I understand how first one works but could someone explain how second one works? How are items seemingly moving diagonally?

The blocked lane is on the underground "input" side. The left lane is going through.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

On the subject of cars (and tanks, I guess) has anyone tried using them as giant mobile chests by putting one on a belt? I have no idea how that would work but it sounds fun to try.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

SinineSiil posted:

I understand how first one works but could someone explain how second one works? How are items seemingly moving diagonally?

In the bottom example, the items are actually traveling on the underground belts, because they're being peeled off at the entrances.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SinineSiil posted:

If you mean what I think you mean by moving diagonally, it's not.

It's doing this: , not this:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

LordSaturn posted:

In the bottom example, the items are actually traveling on the underground belts, because they're being peeled off at the entrances.

Oh, oh I get it. For some reason I thought the entrances and exits blocked belt traffic the same way.

Toast Museum posted:

If you mean what I think you mean by moving diagonally, it's not.

It's doing this: , not this:
Yeah, I got a bit confused there.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ratzap posted:

And this ladies and gents is what happens when you play with goons. Presented without further comment: Wormschwitz

apparantly you then broke it somehow on one of the days I was busy. RIP wormshwitz. Now I have to build an improved one somehow.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
How many green circuit factories do you generally have in a game? I can't seem to make enough of them. Although I am working on building solar panels and that's eating up tons of them.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Travic posted:

How many green circuit factories do you generally have in a game? I can't seem to make enough of them. Although I am working on building solar panels and that's eating up tons of them.

I seek to make 1 of every science pack per second in most of my games. So whatever the clock timer at the top is, that's how many factories I build. If memory serves me red is 4, green is 5, and blue is 12.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm moving towards slightly more self-contained designs for factory modules, so my current green science factory will be making all the gears and circuits for belts and inserters in-house. That way I just feed, for example, one iron and one copper line off the main bus into the factory module, and if I need more production I just clonestamp the whole thing next door to double the green science output.

Probably overall I usually end up with somewhere around 6-10 "sets" of 5 assemblers for making green circuits (3 wire, 2 circuit) and eventually upgrade most of them to T3 assemblers with speed modules. I usually put somewhere around 4 of them together just to feed module production (including the red/blue circuits part of it), one or two to feed red circuits for blue science, one for green science, one for general use, and one for inserters/splitters/mines/assembler production.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love this thread when it's active, seeing everyones' different ideas and contraptions to tackle obstacles, it's amazing how differently everyone figures it out.

I've finally gotten my logistics network up and running and am planning on having around 250 logistic robots. It's such a good feeling, most of the work takes care of itself now and I have bots shuttling batteries and plastic from the oil part of my factory to the automation part and it's given me time to expand hugely and overproduce electricity. Aww yea

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A lot of really pretty factories and cool expert setups getting posted, so I thought I'd just leave this here as an example that you, too, can launch a rocket with the conveyor belt vomit method.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
What's the advantage of putting concrete everywhere? Is it just the improved player movement speed?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

WhiteHowler posted:

What's the advantage of putting concrete everywhere? Is it just the improved player movement speed?

Paving the world. Also, concrete doesn't absorb pollution, so you piss off the natives even more.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I see a map and i want to paint it red.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Do we happen to know when the next version with the better track laying is coming in?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kinetica posted:

Do we happen to know when the next version with the better track laying is coming in?

Really can't wait for that and the spider mech vehicle. Track laying right now is an absolute chore.

Concrete is so easy to make, I just layer it everywhere. Better vehicle speed and handling, and the exoskeleton feet thing that give you 30% movement speed stack with concrete and you run so fast around your base. I also use concrete / brick combo to outline the main paths in my base so I'm not constantly driving through obstacles and figuring out a path on the go.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Loopoo posted:

Really can't wait for that and the spider mech vehicle. Track laying right now is an absolute chore.

Concrete is so easy to make, I just layer it everywhere. Better vehicle speed and handling, and the exoskeleton feet thing that give you 30% movement speed stack with concrete and you run so fast around your base. I also use concrete / brick combo to outline the main paths in my base so I'm not constantly driving through obstacles and figuring out a path on the go.

FARL, while not perfect, makes track laying not that bad for long distances.

EDIT to avoid doublepost: I'm looking to start a new map, after just going through my first RSO run. Definitely going peaceful this time around, as biters weren't enough of a "fun" addition to the game and simply got in my way. Being able to just roll through the early ones until unlocking lasers made it sort of pointless. Any suggestions on other quality of life mods? I was considering mixing in infinite resources with RSO to make it so my remote bases actually had a reason to exist. I'll also potentially open this one up to the internet cause I'm getting bored playing solo.

CanOfMDAmp fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 18, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Concrete, because what else are 400 construction bots going to do because it sure as hell wasn't blue printing organized manufacturing lines.

6x exoskeletons on top of concrete was actually more of a problem than a help, I couldn't really input movement commands short enough to nudge myself off conveyor belts when I wanted to stand still somewhere specific. Moving through the base was a lot like plinko.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Evilreaver posted:

How to get the most oil from your wells:
  • Don't abandon 'dry' wells. 0.1 oil is 0.1 oil, and 10-20 of them adds up to 'some'. Better than nothing! I hate seeing people tear up/depower their dry fields.
  • Speed mods in wells. Turn that 0.1 to 0.2! Power is basically free so that's free oil. Spread some beacons around to get them to .3 or .4, and 20 of them adds up to sustainable amounts of oil.
  • Production mods in Refineries. If output becomes too slow, build more refineries.

These are good advice.

quote:

• Don't tank any oil products (MAYBE lube), and have LOTS more heavy/light cracking plants than you need. If petrol is full, congrats you're not short on oil. If anything else backs up, you don't have enough cracking. Tanking (or barrel-chesting) crude oil is acceptable to forestall peak oil, and give you some indication that you'll need to do steps 2 and/or 3 again.
  • Whenever there is a T-junction in long pipes (usually having Alaskan Pipeline situations from remote oil fields), use an Electric Pump to pull oil towards the main line. This keeps pressure on your refineries high, so they aren't sharing oil with the whole pipe network (which can slow refinement marginally when you're scraping the bottom)

These are not.
1: You want to have ample tank space for petroleum products, because any time you are not extracting crude oil is crude oil lost forever. That 0.1 over time adds up way more than you might expect.

2: A single electric pump will not properly pressurize a full pipe of liquid. Since you want to push your oil into your storage depot as fast as possible, it takes multiple pumps, and they need to be parallel rather than sequential. The best way to do it is pump stations like the following examples: :

Each pump can move 30 units/second, and the max capacity of a pipe is 150 u/s. If you want to keep it at 150 the whole way, you have to put the stations rather close together (there's only pressure loss on actual pipe items, so all the tiles underground in a pipe are 'free'), so that makes it a little better.

zedprime posted:

Concrete, because what else are 400 construction bots going to do because it sure as hell wasn't blue printing organized manufacturing lines.

6x exoskeletons on top of concrete was actually more of a problem than a help, I couldn't really input movement commands short enough to nudge myself off conveyor belts when I wanted to stand still somewhere specific. Moving through the base was a lot like plinko.

That's why you have more than one suit and swap between them depending on what you need.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

CanOfMDAmp posted:

FARL, while not perfect, makes track laying not that bad for long distances.

EDIT to avoid doublepost: I'm looking to start a new map, after just going through my first RSO run. Definitely going peaceful this time around, as biters weren't enough of a "fun" addition to the game and simply got in my way. Being able to just roll through the early ones until unlocking lasers made it sort of pointless. Any suggestions on other quality of life mods? I was considering mixing in infinite resources with RSO to make it so my remote bases actually had a reason to exist. I'll also potentially open this one up to the internet cause I'm getting bored playing solo.

Surely infinite resources would simply make RSO and remote bases pointless if the stuff in your starting area never depleted? Or you mean the mod which makes resources behave like oil and always give a minimum amount? That one would make more sense but even then, your throughput falls off and you still have to find new patches. You'd have to fiddle with the settings to make it give enough to bother having your trains stop there.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SinineSiil posted:

They're not. One lane is moving down and then right.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
If you have already played a few games, go for bob's mod. I have been playing it with RSO, and it's definitely making the game more fun. Basically the vanilla "build the whole rocket" is the equivalent of "getting advanced circuits" of bob's mod. You are gonna need huge bases, but it's definitely rewarding in terms of satisfaction.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kenlon posted:

2: A single electric pump will not properly pressurize a full pipe of liquid. Since you want to push your oil into your storage depot as fast as possible, it takes multiple pumps, and they need to be parallel rather than sequential. The best way to do it is pump stations like the following examples: :

Each pump can move 30 units/second, and the max capacity of a pipe is 150 u/s. If you want to keep it at 150 the whole way, you have to put the stations rather close together (there's only pressure loss on actual pipe items, so all the tiles underground in a pipe are 'free'), so that makes it a little better.

That pumping station spaghetti bullshit is one of the reasons I added a faster pump to my pipes mod (https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=20645). You still have to have the same number of pumping stations but with the mod each one can be just be one express pump instead of 5 vanilla pumps with a bunch of pipes.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm really getting shafted when it comes to oil. My metal production is brilliant, the best it's ever been, and I'm churning out so many electric circuits, I've got a huge surplus.

However, my oil wells dry up so loving quickly. I keep them running, but it's becoming really tedious laying down new tracks and building brand new pumpjack outposts, especially when the site has 2 or 3 oil wells (let's not even begin to describe how big a pain in the rear end it is setting up camp in the middle of biter-infested territory, or the logistical nightmare of keeping turrets armed and laser turrets powered). Am I doing something wrong? Plastic production can't keep up with demand, nor can battery production.

There must be a better way to doing this than just rinse / repeat building pumpjack outposts? It involves way too much effort: 1) clearing out the surrounding area of biter nests 2) laying down miles and miles of track 3) keeping turrets operational etc etc

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Personally, after my first game I always set all the oil settings to max while keeping the others at normal. Oil seems to just deplete in a fraction of the time given equal settings, although given I haven't had a well run out since I think next time I'll set them down a notch, then maybe I'll be expanding for both metal and oil equally.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

So i just beat the first campaign, but is there a way i can just keep playing on a level after objectives are complete? Its bewildering to not have that option for this kind of game.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

peepsalot posted:

So i just beat the first campaign, but is there a way i can just keep playing on a level after objectives are complete? Its bewildering to not have that option for this kind of game.

Kinda.

You can fake out the engine by scripting in a victory condition that includes the "continue" option early in the level, and later when the map script tries to also finish the level, it will get ignored.

code:
game.set_game_state{game_finished=true,player_won=true,can_continue=true}
I haven't tested this in a fresh save though, no idea if it will screw up the unlock for the next level if it's your first time through.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

peepsalot posted:

The sandbox/freeplay missions can be Just One More Turn'd.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I put a mod pack together to play RSO as a train game. One of the things I picked was a new mod I'd not tried yet

K&L Inserters

It's straight up fantastic, you can bin all the other inserter mods - all they do is add clutter. These ones work like this, you drop one on the ground and a little GUI pops up. You select where the arm should be to pick up from anywhere in the 8 grid boxes around it, then pick where it puts down with an optional tick box to insert near side. All the variants and none of the tabs/mess, it's my new favourite mod.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ratzap posted:

I put a mod pack together to play RSO as a train game. One of the things I picked was a new mod I'd not tried yet

K&L Inserters

It's straight up fantastic, you can bin all the other inserter mods - all they do is add clutter. These ones work like this, you drop one on the ground and a little GUI pops up. You select where the arm should be to pick up from anywhere in the 8 grid boxes around it, then pick where it puts down with an optional tick box to insert near side. All the variants and none of the tabs/mess, it's my new favourite mod.

My problem with these mods isn't that they complicate things too much, but they complicate things the wrong way, by making there be even more obvious solutions to logistics puzzles, through more options.

I've been playing a trains-only logistics game, which means that I have to plan everything around that limitation and increases the puzzle-solving. Or at least did for a while.

What I want now is like... cargo boats and planes and runways, so that you can have an island hopping factory.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I dunno, that seems less like a mod to me, and more like a cheat.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ikanreed posted:

My problem with these mods isn't that they complicate things too much, but they complicate things the wrong way, by making there be even more obvious solutions to logistics puzzles, through more options.

I've been playing a trains-only logistics game, which means that I have to plan everything around that limitation and increases the puzzle-solving. Or at least did for a while.

What I want now is like... cargo boats and planes and runways, so that you can have an island hopping factory.

God, I've wanted big steam tanker ships for the longest time, but I never even thought of how amazing planes would be. Depending on the size of the plane (I'm guessing it'd be late-game tech, so to make it easier to get into, you could start off with small Cessna type plane, which is relatively simple to research but has limited cargo space, compared to high-tier research cargo planes with huge cargo spaces), they'd need a certain size of cement runway. Small planes could make do with small runways, but your huge cargo planes would need big big big runways.

Imagine how fun it'd be designing an airport that ships copper, iron and coal from really far away outposts to your main base. I'd love flying in general, it'd make scouting out new places to build a base much more fun. Driving is tedious because you've got so many biter nests to avoid. Imagine how great it'd be packing up a huge Hercules-type plane with all your base-building necessities and setting out somewhere to build up.

I'm about to hop ingame and redesign my train system from the ground up. It's getting to the point where I need more throughput and my original track system just isn't cutting it. My main station can only handle 3 trains and only offloads from one side. I'm going to boost this so each station can handle multiple trains and load / offload from each side.

Edit: thinking of planes, actually, a VTOL would probably fit the atmosphere of the game than just regular cargo planes. Means you could land without a runway but it takes longer to land, compared to landing on a built runway (which means automated plane delivery would be faster with runways, but for scouting and setting up new bases, you'd land slower but have the ability to land in untamed areas).

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 19, 2016

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
VTOL would be higher-tech, along with (attack) helicopters. Finally a use for all those rockets!

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Starting up a new game on default settings with a friend, we spawned in a desert already surrounded by biters. Before we could even research Military 1, the pollution from our burner mining drills reached them and killed us. Anybody had any good luck in desert spawns?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mithaldu posted:

I dunno, that seems less like a mod to me, and more like a cheat.

Perspective I reckon. I think if I was building a factory I'd adjust the arms of the robots to fit the task if necessary. Standard parts fit the bill the vast majority of the time but if I can use one of those and avoid ripping a section back out then it's a win. The mod pack we're playing MP with has so many drat inserters it's next to impossible to find the 'normal' ones, let alone figure out which one does what and how fast. If I'm going to use an inserter mod, K&L is the one I'll use - it's simple and get the job done perfectly.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

My 2nd game was in a desert and I did fine, but I think I increased the size of the starter zone so they probably spawned farther away I guess, I don't remember for sure. This is also the game where like an hour or two after I started they expanded right next to my base with a big worm I couldn't kill until I made a tank

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Loren1350 posted:

Kinda.

You can fake out the engine by scripting in a victory condition that includes the "continue" option early in the level, and later when the map script tries to also finish the level, it will get ignored.

code:
game.set_game_state{game_finished=true,player_won=true,can_continue=true}
I haven't tested this in a fresh save though, no idea if it will screw up the unlock for the next level if it's your first time through.

Cool I had a save from just before I made the plane so I loaded that and the command worked.

I had just researched laser turrets and increased power production. Went around the map with a pocket full of laser turrets and big power poles and cleared out a bunch of nests for fun. The laser turret works great against worms (and biters of course).

Btw is there a setting or mod that shows ranges during placement?

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 19, 2016

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

peepsalot posted:

Btw is there a setting or mod that shows ranges during placement?

I saw this mod earlier, been browsing the mod forum a bunch today and noticed it, it requires you to build a special item to use on the turret though so I didn't bother and I don't particularly care about the precise range of the default turrets anyway, but it could be nice if you had a mod with some wierd ones maybe

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=14783

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Logistic + Construction bots are a lifesaver. Completely redesigning my rail system, and I just drive along placing track blueprints down and the 3 personal roboports sort it all out for me: powerlines, spotlights and signals all included! My main station in the center of my base was far too little to handle the sheer volume of stuff coming in, so I'm rebuilding that. It's a pain in the rear end cause the coal + copper chests are still full, so I gotta empty them out somewhere so I can dismantle them and rebuild the whole section. It's quite annoying.

Other than that, I gotta say, once you have an army of robots, it really does make enjoyment skyrocket. It gives you the freedom to just build en masse, and I've had a blast designing hugely complicated stuff. This station will be so satisfying when it's complete.