Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Joementum posted:

Do you mean "Democracy Now, Democracy Now Dot Org the War and Peace Report, hello I'm Amy Goodman talking today with Noam Chomsky about corporations exploiting Palestinian children, Noam talk about that"?

Pretty sure that's the name of the show.

That's only like half the show

The other half is worshiping journalists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Prorat posted:

The democrat party is the party of acceptance, progression, tolerance, love.

*compares someone that's never committed a violent crime to Hitler obsessively over a years time.*

"Donald Trump, a man who has never killed anyone is exactly like a man who killed 6 million Jews. We are the progressive party! Vote Hillary!

P.S. Bernie hates black peoples"

The GE thread is going to be amazing.

This is only the beginning.

i mean not that you won't be hearing this stuff from dems, but dude, that's from a republican super pac.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Rasmussen National GOP Poll
3/16 - 3/17 - 719 LV

Trump 43
Cruz 28
Kasich 21

36% of GOP voters say they are "Likely" to vote for Trump if he runs third party, including 24% who say they are "Very Likely" to do so.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 18, 2016

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Joementum posted:

Do you mean "Democracy Now, Democracy Now Dot Org the War and Peace Report, hello I'm Amy Goodman talking today with Noam Chomsky about corporations exploiting Palestinian children, Noam talk about that"?

Pretty sure that's the name of the show.

Nah, pretty sure she never makes it that long without tripping over her words or someone accidentally hitting play on an audio clip.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
That anti trump ad comparing his and Hitler's speeches word by word is pretty effective imo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fiction posted:

That anti trump ad comparing his and Hitler's speeches word by word is pretty effective imo

Yeah, for a Hitler, I guess I never realized how Hitlery Trump is. He's at like 0.76 Hitlers.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Fiction posted:

That video is savage.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Prorat posted:

*compares someone that's never committed a violent crime to Hitler obsessively over a years time.*

"Donald Trump, a man who has never killed anyone is exactly like a man who killed 6 million Jews. We are the progressive party! Vote Hillary!

Raping somebody is pretty violent

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not sure how this is true. He's for the full repeal of Obamacare, allowing the sale of plans across state lines, larger state level control of Medicaid, and health savings accounts. Which are all standard Republican talking points. He's tossed deducting premiums from your taxes, but that's the only thing I can think of that hasn't been harped on by the GOP for years now.

This is all from his campaign's website. Where are you seeing a plan that is "one step away from European-style UHC"?
I like how Trump only advocates half the stuff people ascribe to him. The rest is people projecting. I wonder how many "free" votes that gets ya.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's only like half the show

The other half is worshiping journalists

Let me kiss the feet of the brave men and women that stood next to dying refugees and looked disappointed and sad

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Slate Action posted:

Rasmussen National GOP Poll
3/16 - 3/17 - 719 LV

Trump 43
Cruz 28
Kasich 21

36% of GOP voters say they are "Likely" to vote for Trump if he runs third party, including 24% who say they are "Very Likely" to do so.

quote:

Additional information from this survey and a full demographic breakdown are available to Platinum Members only.

oh gently caress off rasmussen

i wonder what the splits for second choice are for supporters of each candidate - didn't see it skimming the article

edit: putting goebbels in the trump hitler ad was fun, i assume there aren't too many people who think goebbels comps are gonna wake up the sheeple

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 18, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

paranoid randroid posted:

also the difference between Democracy Now and Rush is that Rush is a natural entertainer who is really, really good at what he does. Democracy Now is just monotone soul-death.

If you want good leftward talk radio, there is only Thom Hartmann.

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
dont flinch

the sasse man is comin

https://twitter.com/BenSasse/status/710890518201274368

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Sad!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Prorat posted:

did hitler actually kill anybody before his election? well i guess he was in the army because he wasn't a cowardly draft dodger (like trump) but does that count?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^he himself might not've but
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weimar_paramilitary_groups

quote:

The political parties used their paramilitary groups to protect their party gatherings and to disrupt the marches and meetings of their opponents. Between 1928 to 1932, the Weimar Republic experienced a growth of political violence between these organizations euphemistically called Zusammenstösse (lit. clashes). For instance in 1930, the Nazis claimed 17 fatalities and the Communists 44 fatalities in these Zusammenstössen. Scores were injured; in 1930, 2,500 Nazis were injured and in 1932, 9,715. (1)

the rhetoric being superficially similar is one thing but the actual breakdown of democratic institutions in weimar germany by 1933 can't seriously be compared to 2016

but that's what's so great about attack ads

ben sasse comin atcha w the realness

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 18, 2016

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The New Black posted:

i mean not that you won't be hearing this stuff from dems, but dude, that's from a republican super pac.

I wasn't referring to that video, I was referring to the minimum of 1 hitler comparison per page in this thread.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Antisemitic Saturation is a psychological phenomenon in which repetition of "Hitler" causes the word to temporarily lose meaning for the listener, who then perceives the speech as repeated meaningless sounds.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait. graham endorced cruz? jesus. how man guns were pointed at graham to force him to say that.

Just one, and its size is no problem, let me tell you.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i'm hitler sexual

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Chaos reigns

Where my antichristies at

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if ben sasse saw a fox eating its own entrails he wouldve killed it with a shovel before it couldve said 'chaos reigns'

he's #FromTheRanch yall

i guess you probably would want to shoot an insane animal actually. what would i know im not #FromTheRanch

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Prorat posted:

*Democratic Party

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

stoutfish posted:

i'm hitler sexual

My preferred pronouns are der feurer/der feurer's/der feurerself

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
If I had to guess the hitler stuff is coming from the endless stream of racially charged rhetoric. If I absolutely HAD to guess, that's what I'd guess.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
heres a fun chart of hitler searches in the us:

note that hitler searching tends to peak in april (his birthday). keeping that in mind it looks like 2016 is shaping up to be a big year in hitler searching

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Al! posted:

My preferred pronouns are der feurer/der feurer's/der feurerself

:eyepoop:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
move over luigi, it's time for the year of hitler

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
David Brooks of the NYTimes writes: :cry:

quote:

The voters have spoken.

In convincing fashion, Republican voters seem to be selecting Donald Trump as their nominee. And in a democracy, victory has legitimacy to it. Voters are rarely wise but are usually sensible. They understand their own problems. And so deference is generally paid to the candidate who wins.

And deference is being paid. Gov. Rick Scott of Florida is urging Republicans to coalesce around Trump. Pundits are coming out with their “What We Can Learn” commentaries. Those commentaries are built on a hidden respect for the outcome, that this is a rejection of a Republicanism that wasn’t working and it points in some better direction.

The question is: Should deference be paid to this victor? Should we bow down to the judgment of these voters?

Well, some respect is in order. Trump voters are a coalition of the dispossessed. They have suffered lost jobs, lost wages, lost dreams. The American system is not working for them, so naturally they are looking for something else.

Moreover, many in the media, especially me, did not understand how they would express their alienation. We expected Trump to fizzle because we were not socially intermingled with his supporters and did not listen carefully enough. For me, it’s a lesson that I have to change the way I do my job if I’m going to report accurately on this country.

And yet reality is reality.

Donald Trump is epically unprepared to be president. He has no realistic policies, no advisers, no capacity to learn. His vast narcissism makes him a closed fortress. He doesn’t know what he doesn’t know and he’s uninterested in finding out. He insults the office Abraham Lincoln once occupied by running for it with less preparation than most of us would undertake to buy a sofa.

Trump is perhaps the most dishonest person to run for high office in our lifetimes. All politicians stretch the truth, but Trump has a steady obliviousness to accuracy.

This week, the Politico reporters Daniel Lippman, Darren Samuelsohn and Isaac Arnsdorf fact-checked 4.6 hours of Trump speeches and press conferences. They found more than five dozen untrue statements, or one every five minutes.

“His remarks represent an extraordinary mix of inaccurate claims about domestic and foreign policy and personal and professional boasts that rarely measure up when checked against primary sources,” they wrote.

He is a childish man running for a job that requires maturity. He is an insecure boasting little boy whose desires were somehow arrested at age 12. He surrounds himself with sycophants. “You can always tell when the king is here,” Trump’s butler told Jason Horowitz in a recent Times profile. He brags incessantly about his alleged prowess, like how far he can hit a golf ball. “Do I hit it long? Is Trump strong?” he asks.

In some rare cases, political victors do not deserve our respect. George Wallace won elections, but to endorse those outcomes would be a moral failure.

And so it is with Trump.

History is a long record of men like him temporarily rising, stretching back to biblical times. Psalm 73 describes them: “Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence. … They scoff, and speak with malice; with arrogance they threaten oppression. Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth. Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance.”

And yet their success is fragile: “Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin. How suddenly they are destroyed.”

The psalmist reminds us that the proper thing to do in the face of demagogy is to go the other way — to make an extra effort to put on decency, graciousness, patience and humility, to seek a purity of heart that is stable and everlasting.

The Republicans who coalesce around Trump are making a political error. They are selling their integrity for a candidate who will probably lose. About 60 percent of Americans disapprove of him, and that number has been steady since he began his campaign.

Worse, there are certain standards more important than one year’s election. There are certain codes that if you betray them, you suffer something much worse than a political defeat.

Donald Trump is an affront to basic standards of honesty, virtue and citizenship. He pollutes the atmosphere in which our children are raised. He has already shredded the unspoken rules of political civility that make conversation possible. In his savage regime, public life is just a dog-eat-dog war of all against all.

As the founders would have understood, he is a threat to the long and glorious experiment of American self-government. He is precisely the kind of scapegoating, promise-making, fear-driving and deceiving demagogue they feared.

Trump’s supporters deserve respect. They are left out of this economy. But Trump himself? No, not Trump, not ever.
http://nytimes.com/2016/03/18/opinion/no-not-trump-not-ever.html

:qq:

William Bear fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 18, 2016

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

HappyHippo posted:

did hitler actually kill anybody before his election? well i guess he was in the army because he wasn't a cowardly draft dodger (like trump) but does that count?

His party did murder his contractors during his rise. Which may or may not have been part of his doing. More than likely it was.

He just wanted the Jews out of the country and found out that holy gently caress there are too many. It's easier to bury them than feed them. It was a solution to a problem that he decided upon when he realized he had the power to do it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

note that hitler searching tends to peak in april (his birthday). keeping that in mind it looks like 2016 is shaping up to be a big year in hitler searching

also looking like a banner year for mussolini searching, which also seems to peak in april (probably because of hitler's birthday but he did die in april)

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=mussolini&geo=US
south carolina leads the nation in mussolini searches - and in tojo searches, oddly
https://www.google.com/trends/explore#geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F03gtt
lots of hipster axis fans in sc

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Prorat posted:

Well that particular ad is comparing Trump to Hitler during his campaign, when he hadn't yet killed any Jews, except maybe inadvertently in World War 1.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Philthy posted:

His party did murder his contractors during his rise. Which may or may not have been part of his doing. More than likely it was.

I know you meant detractors but i got a vision of hitler sitting annoyed in front of a polycom all " GOD loving drat IT GÜNTER NEXT THURSDAY ISNT GOOD ENOUGH"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

HappyHippo posted:

It makes sense that the Hitler searches were high in 2004 and 2005 because I remember that being when alt-right, Stormfront and proto-/pol/ started taking off.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
those were also the heady days of "BUSH=HITLER" comparisons were they not?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's really great that the Republicans are gonna let Trump win because they can't possibly bear to have Kasich drop out too and put all their support behind Ted Cruz

Think about this for a moment: Ted Cruz is so incredibly loathsome that he is nearly directly responsible for Presidential Candidate Donald J Trump.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
im also trying to figure out the april 2011 hitler peak. was there a hitler movie released around then?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Are they entirely sure they want to explain to Trump supporters that Hitler claimed he was just a victim of bad deals and the disgusting press, because that is how you get something far worse than neo-nazis (who can be seen and ostracized easily).

Now the GOP will have even more people that casually just drop a "Hitler wasn't so bad. America was just as bad and he did a lot for Germany."

AIPAC should probably tell that PAC to pull that commercial ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Donald Trump is just like Hitler except without all the bad things like the holocaust and WW2.

• Locked thread