Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Philosopher King posted:

So is the ps4 and xbone version of this game going to die soon? I know it just started but it seems like there are so few people on which is a drat shame. And how does artillery do down the line? I'm enjoying the american and british lines for now. The birch gun seems to be the only fully rotatable turret though. And I'm not looking forward to the reload times on tier 10. Do the explosions get bigger or something?

The other tanks seem to improve in power/speed/rate of fire and things like that but artillery shells just keep getting slower and slower.

Artillery gets longer range, slower reload, slower aim times, lower accuracy, and larger splash radius generally. The french are an outlier to that following. And I suppose the russia to an extent as well since their tier 10 gun is more accurate and faster firing than the tier 9 before it. But it trades a smaller shell as well so it has a smaller splash radius.

There are some fun tanks in the line though. You chose the two nations with them too. For tier 9, the american m53/55 has a partial turret giving you a wide range to shoot without having to move the hull. On the british side, the tier 6 fv304 is an artillery gun mounted on to a go cart. Most would argue that stopping with those two tanks is good enough to enjoy life with. The french artillery line is the most punishing of the artillery lines, so just avoid them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have done all arty tiers from all nations. Only 1 tier 10 though which is the Soviet. I like it but haven't played it in maybe 2 years or so. I'm at the 155 50 in the French line and it isn't too bad. The accuracy is good, the reload time is good, but damage is certainly lacking. I.... hate..... the British line so far. I'm at the Bishop right now and it's just terrible. The range is only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the map, so you have to move into danger immediately. However, it's incredibly slow so you miss the start of the action. Relocating is terrible for the same reason. Damage is terrible as well. I normally get 150 dmg every direct hit. I can only hope it gets better because this thing is a piece of poo poo. I know Hellsau disagrees, but as with others, I disagree with him on many things. :downs:

I just bought the M53/55 last night after playing the M40/43 for a long time. Hooooolllyyyy poo poo. This thing is amazing even stock. I've been hitting for 1,300 damage with the stock gun and it reloads in less that 30s I think. This thing is amazing.

Those are my thoughts.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 18, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have done all arty tiers from all nations. Only 1 tier 10 though which is the Soviet. I like it but haven't played it in maybe 2 years or so. I'm at the 155 50 in the French line and it isn't too bad. The accuracy is good, the reload time is good, but damage is certainly lacking. I.... hate..... the British line so far. I'm at the Bishop right now and it's just terrible. The range is only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the map, so you have to move into danger immediately. However, it's incredibly slow so you miss the start of the action. Relocating is terrible for the same reason. Damage is terrible as well. I normally get 150 dmg every direct hit. I can only hope it gets better because this thing is a piece of poo poo. I know Hellsau disagrees, but as with others, I disagree with him on many things. :downs:

I just bought the M53/55 last night after playing the M40/43 for a long time. Hooooolllyyyy poo poo. This thing is amazing even stock. I've been hitting for 1,300 damage with the stock gun and it reloads in less that 30s I think. This thing is amazing.

Those are my thoughts.

The 304 is the same gun. The reason they are so loved is the edge of range shots. At that distance, your shots nearly plunge straight down. And no tank has notable roof armor. You'll enjoy it more in the 304 thanks to the mobility upgrade.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Blindeye posted:

More tanks, more goons, need the gold? Help me.

http://worldoftanks.com/en/tournaments/1000000017/team/1000007856/

Same password as the goons channel.

i joined but haven't played much lately but at least have a pro lvl chaffee crew cause it's the Best Tank. Whoa you need 4 more within the next 5 hours lol

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Yeah if you can't consistently hit for 450 damage with the Bishop/304, then you're going to have a bad time.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ToiletDuckie posted:

Anyone have advice on how to improve at not using "Sniper" view? I'm sure it's mostly a matter of time and experience, but I'm struggling with the difference between a high third person camera versus where the gun is actually pointing relative to the cross hair, especially if you ever need to lead someone and are pointing at the ground "ahead and behind" them.

I'm also struggling with lovely dispersion and aim times due to ~90% crews, not to mention getting into situations where I actually need to not be aiming, but one thing at a time.

I zoom in for most of my shots, but have actually been trying to get used to zooming out first. Generally you can take zoomed-out shots when you can't really afford to zoom in (due to movement) or when it won't matter, either because aim bloom is high enough where zooming in won't matter (perhaps due to movement again) or you're not really shooting at a target with immediately available weak spots. To rephrase, zoom in when you need to hit a small weak spot, zoom out when you're trying for a center-mass shot. In the latter case, autoaim is viable, and the autoaim assist mod that lets you snap to target is invaluable.

What tiers are you on? If you tell us your IGN and hang out in the in-game channel we can platoon with you.

Philosopher King posted:

So is the ps4 and xbone version of this game going to die soon? I know it just started but it seems like there are so few people on which is a drat shame.

I told my bro about the PS4 version because he's been playing that console exclusively (he refuses to spend the money to upgrade from his old WInXP desktop.) He tried it for a bit, then decided to pick up the PC version again after avoiding it for >3 years rather than starting over on PS4. :shrug:

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I aim with the third person view any time A) I am 100% sure I'll hit and pen, or B) I am 100% sure that bouncing or missing will not gently caress me over. Any other time the third person perspective doesn't give you the precision you need to reliably damage things with any armor.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 18, 2016

Modguy
Nov 9, 2012
I've had a lot of fun on the PS4 version, personally. Couple weeks in and I'm looking at unlocking the Tiger tomorrow. The trick is to have room mates play while your at work :P

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Steelion posted:

Yeah if you can't consistently hit for 450 damage with the Bishop/304, then you're going to have a bad time.

That is insane. The "average" damage on the gun says that it is 450. I've never even been close to that. I don't use gold in arty. I just played another match to see if I was insane (yes) and the top damage I got was 199. Direct hit of course. Another direct hit was 99 damage which is pretty normal. No clue what you guys are doing but this thing is terrible. Is it gold? Is that what does it? My entire tank career has been mostly arty. All clan wars in SGLE I was arty. I know how to play arty and this one just sucks for me.

Going to play a few more... no gold.... and see what happens again.

edit: nm this thing doesn't even take gold. bs, just bs. blah blah blah learn to play. I know. I just haven't seen it. Last battle, 205 was the high. gently caress it, can't wait to get rid of this thing

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 18, 2016

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Fat Jesus posted:

i joined but haven't played much lately but at least have a pro lvl chaffee crew cause it's the Best Tank. Whoa you need 4 more within the next 5 hours lol

I figured with us doing rampage I would have been able to recruit a few rooms but nope. Oh well. There will be other tourneys.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The 304 works because of the high rate of fire, it doesn't matter if you can actually get into that sweet spot where you lob shells straight into engine decks. You can just permatrack and chip damage tanks to death with it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

That is insane. The "average" damage on the gun says that it is 450. I've never even been close to that. I don't use gold in arty. I just played another match to see if I was insane (yes) and the top damage I got was 199. Direct hit of course. Another direct hit was 99 damage which is pretty normal. No clue what you guys are doing but this thing is terrible. Is it gold? Is that what does it? My entire tank career has been mostly arty. All clan wars in SGLE I was arty. I know how to play arty and this one just sucks for me.

edit: nm this thing doesn't even take gold. bs, just bs. blah blah blah learn to play. I know. I just haven't seen it. Last battle, 205 was the high. gently caress it, can't wait to get rid of this thing

I want big number, give me big number, number no big gimme big number!

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011
M44 is the best T6 arty by far! HEAT spam tier 8 heavies 24/7.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hellsau posted:

I want big number, give me big number, number no big gimme big number!

I agree. :allears:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Modguy posted:

I've had a lot of fun on the PS4 version, personally. Couple weeks in and I'm looking at unlocking the Tiger tomorrow. The trick is to have room mates play while your at work :P

Ask us about Quixperience! :eng101:

He should've phrased that as, "...if you can't consistently full-pen...." Don't expect to roll for the nominal damage every time, but that gun is fully capable of penning roofs and decks.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the lesson here is to not play artillery.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:siren:Today is the first day of the March Madness Tournament!:siren:

If you're on my team please be ready tonight at 9:00 PM Eastern, 6:00 PM Pacific.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ToiletDuckie posted:

Anyone have advice on how to improve at not using "Sniper" view? I'm sure it's mostly a matter of time and experience, but I'm struggling with the difference between a high third person camera versus where the gun is actually pointing relative to the cross hair, especially if you ever need to lead someone and are pointing at the ground "ahead and behind" them.

I'm also struggling with lovely dispersion and aim times due to ~90% crews, not to mention getting into situations where I actually need to not be aiming, but one thing at a time.

The only times you should be shooting in 3rd person are if you are fully prepared for the shot to miss, such as taking full bloom shots at targets that pop up while you're moving between cover, or if you don't care where you hit the target, such as shooting a high pen gun at a low tier tank. The autoaim mod that locks on to the closest tank is perfect for helping you hit these "throwaway" shots. It is included in the modpack I linked earlier.

If you need to hit a tank in a particular spot in order to do penetrate, you should be using sniper view.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Philosopher King posted:

So is the ps4 and xbone version of this game going to die soon? I know it just started but it seems like there are so few people on which is a drat shame. And how does artillery do down the line? I'm enjoying the american and british lines for now. The birch gun seems to be the only fully rotatable turret though. And I'm not looking forward to the reload times on tier 10. Do the explosions get bigger or something?

The other tanks seem to improve in power/speed/rate of fire and things like that but artillery shells just keep getting slower and slower.

I don't see the XBone/PS4 version dying. Most nights there are an average of 150 people in queue + however many are in games and that number has been steadily increasing as people are becoming aware of the game (lovely marketing). The only time I have seen population low is during mid day on the East Coast server during the week. I just play on the EU server during those times for the much higher daytime population.

The faster XP rates on console vs. PC make it much easier to go up the various tank lines (if you aren't a scrublord at least). I only have 1584 battles and have already got as far as 4xTier 8, 6xTier 7, and my FV304.

It gets even more comical when you find out that the Console version balances tanks based on the console players and not the PC players. Apparently console players suck at driving a TD because most of the TD nerfs have never made it console side.

The lack of keyboard chat means hardly anyone knows where to aim at the AT2/8/7/15 British TDs. Muhahahahaha :getin:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

When I'm jumping into Sniperview about half the time it pushes my camera way up into the sky, does this happen to anyone else?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

ShankyMcStabber posted:

It gets even more comical when you find out that the Console version balances tanks based on the console players and not the PC players.

Not to mention the Tier V Rammpanzer and its 870 HP.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Merry Marauder posted:

A medium with 170 more HP than the O-I Exp. :wtc:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

please tell me it rams things to kill them

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Oh, indeed. And, of course, console has platoons up to five, so it's "gg, folks" when you get Rammpanzer platoons, even in a Tier VI game. It's like explosive bumper cars.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Oh, indeed. And, of course, console has platoons up to five, so it's "gg, folks" when you get Rammpanzer platoons, even in a Tier VI game. It's like explosive bumper cars.

The 5 man platoons are REALLY comical. If you get a 5 man of good players on the other team you get rolled almost as fast as when you end up with a 5 man platoon of potatoes on your team.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Check out this extremely awkward video that the WoT launcher has up today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjQagpnidn4

Also WGNA is apparently is having some meeting with NA streamers/Youtubers like they did with Quickybaby/Jingles/whoever.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
Is there a xbox 360 goon platoon? I read the op but not the other 500 pages.
My gamer tag is vader1679

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:siren:Tournament bracket is up!:siren:

Battles are between 9:05 and 10:41 Eastern, 6:05 and 7:41 Pacific.

If we make it out with only 3 losses I'd be super happy.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 18, 2016

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

McGavin posted:

:siren:Tournament bracket is up!:siren:

Battles are between 9:05 and 10:41 Eastern, 6:05 and 7:41 Pacific.

If we make it out with only 3 losses I'd be super happy.

Four of our opponents appear to be non-poo poo, two of them even pretty good, the rest are toilet lords. We will crush the opposition nevertheless.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Neat, I'll be in Discord around 8:30.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I should be there around 8:45, provided I don't get caught in traffic.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The Soviets have been playing World of Tanks for 70 years longer than anyone else by grinding their Valentines

Available for request:

:britain:
Tetrarch in the USSR
Covenanter NEW

:911:
M22 Locust
Medium Tank T2

:france:
ARL 44

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
T-60
ZIK-20

:godwin:
Geschuetzpanzer MkVI (e)
Mauschen

:sweden:
Bandkanon 1
Otto Merker's tanks
Strv 74

:poland:
7TP
TK-3/TKS

:japan:
SR tanks

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I had a match the other day with an O-I experimental who was absolutely furious that he kept bouncing off the "french paper" upper front plate of the ARL 44.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

dude should grab a copy of the yellow pages and see what trying to punch through 120 mm of paper is like.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So we went undefeated in our tournament bracket tonight, beating a good team who played like they were being called by me. Also we had someone crash at the start of that game, AND had someone crash during a different game where this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUFrGGZvFEk

Pretty good stuff, new physics.

e: RAMPAGE poo poo TOMORROW AT 8PM EASTERN!!!! TOURNAMENT BATTLES END A QUARTER TO EIGHT, AND START AGAIN AT NINE, SO WE HAVE AN HOUR TO FINISH A BUNCH OF MISSIONS PLEASE SHOW UP!!!

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 19, 2016

Exia00
Feb 13, 2014

When in doubt.... C4
I'll make a video from my view. Later... good job WG there is literally nothing there for him to hit and do that....

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Team Goons Ruin Everything did pretty okay today. Got a win against the best team in our group, scored a draw against the second best one, two defeats unfortunately. Tied for third place in our group.

The draw was infuriating because I had bounced several shots off an enemy Chaffee that would have been removed in the final minute of the game where poo poo got rough. And then, when I was the last guy standing against a Type T-34 in the Prokhorovka village and had him down to 40hp, I had a loving buzzerbeater shot lined up through a thatch loving roof and as the shell is in the air, the goddamn time ran out for the draw. I'm getting angry again just writing this. Tournaments aren't good for me.

Neither are teammates that keep putting me in high-pressure situations. t:mad:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Low team sizes make variance like those random bounces far more punishing than they usually would be. This is why WoT is a lovely unwatchable mess of an esport. If there were full 15 player teams, those random bounces become significantly less punishing.

see also our tier 6 3v3 skirmish results where one less freak bounce turns a loss into a win multiple times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Team Goons Ruin Everything did pretty okay today. Got a win against the best team in our group, scored a draw against the second best one, two defeats unfortunately. Tied for third place in our group.

The draw was infuriating because I had bounced several shots off an enemy Chaffee that would have been removed in the final minute of the game where poo poo got rough. And then, when I was the last guy standing against a Type T-34 in the Prokhorovka village and had him down to 40hp, I had a loving buzzerbeater shot lined up through a thatch loving roof and as the shell is in the air, the goddamn time ran out for the draw. I'm getting angry again just writing this. Tournaments aren't good for me.

Neither are teammates that keep putting me in high-pressure situations. t:mad:

That Chaffee bounced 360 damage. :qq:

Also you wouldn't be in high pressure situations if you just died first like I do. :smug: