Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Black Pants posted:

AE2 crafting terminal + NEI + shift-clicking on the show-recipe-in-grid (?) button, etc.

I honestly just had the show-recipe-in-grid function pointed out to me after using NEI for years a couple days ago. I didn't think I could just shift click too..cool stuff, thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

mensrea posted:

A lot of the really complicated tech mods wouldn't be so bad if crafting didn't necessarily involve dragging and dropping things onto a 3x3 grid. It was a long time ago, but I remember a mod that added a crafting bench that didn't require that tedium. Basically, the mod's bench looked at what you had in your inventory and showed on a GUI all the things you could make with it. Then, all you did was click on the thing and get it, no dragging and dropping.

Well... these days there's Avaritia, though obviously it's a rather silly implementation. It comes with built-in MineTweaker support.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 18, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hahaha what, the solid fuel firebox can run on buckets of creosote oil, which are worth 4 charcoal apiece. This changes a lot. I wish I hadn't been dumping that poo poo into the trash until now.

CoreDuo posted:

Well... these days there's Avaritia, though obviously it's a rather silly implementation. It comes with built-in MineTweaker support.
What part of that video is related to what he said? It's definitely silly looking but I don't see anything in there that reduces tedium.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 18, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
gently caress yes, I know how I'm going to be running my steam generation MK III now. Before this I was using creosote to cook cobblestone and coal ore and still regularly disassembled my coke ovens because I couldn't use it quickly enough.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man I'm pretty excited for the next major version of BFSR, seems like lots of neat stuff being added.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

What part of that video is related to what he said? It's definitely silly looking but I don't see anything in there that reduces tedium.

The mod's own items, no. But it does add a 9x9 crafting grid that can be used for anything in place of a hundred cascading 3x3 recipes. FTB uses it in their expert modes for some stuff.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 18, 2016

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

CoreDuo posted:

The mod's own items, no. But it does add a 9x9 crafting grid that can be used for anything in place of a hundred cascading 3x3 recipes. FTB uses it in their expert modes for some stuff.

Terraria's method of crafting is better anyway.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Pi In The Sky posted:

The Tokamak isn't the only thing in Reactorcraft. There's a couple different designs for fission reactors in there too (haven't really messed with the mod, so further knowledge on my end is limited).

I was just being a dork :buddy:

Reactorcraft looks too granular for me anyway. A middle ground between it and Big Reactors is where I'd want things (and it sounds like NuclearCraft might do it)

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

StealthArcher posted:

Many many games have since improved on Minecraft's crafting, but it's what we've got to work with aside from the ridiculously abstract stuff like Botania. Factorio's crafting is pretty nice too.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

CoreDuo posted:

Many many games have since improved on Minecraft's crafting, but it's what we've got to work with aside from the ridiculously abstract stuff like Botania. Factorio's crafting is pretty nice too.

Factorio is pretty much what I want in a minecraft mod :v:.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Taffer posted:

I use it for more than barrels. :colbert:

I maintain that it's a cool mod, albeit with some strange things mixed in.

Do you know about the NEI [?]. No drag and drop required, though you do still have to craft each item individually.

holy gently caress. why does nobody mention this >< Ive been dragging and dropping all my life............

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Hahaha what, the solid fuel firebox can run on buckets of creosote oil, which are worth 4 charcoal apiece. This changes a lot. I wish I hadn't been dumping that poo poo into the trash until now.

I'd just make a liquid fueled boiler and pump the creosote directly in. On my regrowth map, I used 10 coke ovens to fuel a 2x2x2 HP boiler full time. I am not sure what mod pack you're playing, but if you have Botania, you can run it resource neutral using the duplication catalyst and a field of endoflames fed by the outputted coal coke to dupe coal.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
I had no idea there were still people that were unfamiliar with NEI. :stare:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

to be fair 1.7 NEI is hot garbage because it cannot handle anything with metadata, which makes the gregtech pack a uniquely horrifying experience

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hay Taffer, I have the solution to your power generation needs! Make everybody use TNT generators:

I'm making it an end-level quest in BFSR, so lolmer, someday you are probably going to want to kill your kids if they play with speakers. Just about everything in that picture makes noise!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Give three forms of power generation: TNT Generators, Nether Star Generators, and the Endergenic generator thing from RFTools.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Black Pants posted:

Give three forms of power generation: TNT Generators, Nether Star Generators, and the Endergenic generator thing from RFTools.

If we're back to the joke generators discussion from late 2013, I humbly re-propose the Jump Generator, more RF with leaping pots.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Playstation 4 posted:

If we're back to the joke generators discussion from late 2013, I humbly re-propose the Jump Generator, more RF with leaping pots.

Only takes leaping pots, randomly sends entities within 8 blocks flying skyward while powered.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sage Grimm posted:

gently caress yes, I know how I'm going to be running my steam generation MK III now. Before this I was using creosote to cook cobblestone and coal ore and still regularly disassembled my coke ovens because I couldn't use it quickly enough.
The real problem is you have to manually bucket it out, place the bucket in the firebox, then bucket it back out. It's more of a stopgap than anything, I still find plain wood from tree farms works best right now because 2 iron can yield 8 stacks of wood planks which will keep the boiler going for a long burst, and your ovens will pump out a good deal of coal in the meantime.
I really don't want to go from my current 4 coke ovens to like 10 or so because it's hard enough dealing with all that poo poo already. I'm really hoping better power generation comes up soon.

StealthArcher posted:

Yeah, I always hated the manual placement. Just let me click on a thing and be done with it.
Honestly, removing shaped crafting means bypassing one of the biggest mod problems there is: relying on every recipe to be unique. This means you could totally remove intermediary processed items and just say "okay, this costs 24 iron, 6 gold, 2 pearls, 40 stone, one blaze rod, and a feather". No crafting an iron matrix, pearlified gold, and condensed stone furnaces first. Just take all the components you'd need and change the recipe to a single step.

Minecraft's shaped crafting is obviously never going away because it's so iconic at this point but it's not something you can really learn by experimenting. Explaining how it works to a totally new player usually leaves them a little confused, and while basic tools and a handful of things like buckets and boats might elicit a response of "oh that's cool", there are plenty of recipes that are nowhere near as intuitive (TNT, for instance), or combos that you'd never guess (fermented spider eye, eye of ender, etc), and there's a huge portion of the game you'd never even see if you didn't have the wiki open at all times.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Glory of Arioch posted:

to be fair 1.7 NEI is hot garbage because it cannot handle anything with metadata, which makes the gregtech pack a uniquely horrifying experience

You know that it's gregtech that hides all that stuff from nei right? All the tools and stuff. If you want to see it all in nei there is a config for it in one of the 8 gregtech config files. It might lag you out because it's like 500 pages of stuff.

Nei can absolutely handle metadata.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

bigperm posted:

You know that it's gregtech that hides all that stuff from nei right? All the tools and stuff. If you want to see it all in nei there is a config for it in one of the 8 gregtech config files. It might lag you out because it's like 500 pages of stuff.

Nei can absolutely handle metadata.

that is not what I meant

the 1.7 version of NEI eats poo poo when you try to shift-click a recipe into a crafting table that has an item with metadata, like filled buckets

this also includes any recipe with a tool in it, which is every single new horizons recipe practically

JEI in 1.8 fixes this and it owns

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

So McJty, the guy who makes RFTools (a Good Mod) apparently has a son who is also now making minecraft mods, and he made this:

http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/not-enough-wands

That's the cutest poo poo ever, and this mod actually sounds useful enough that I really want it. :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

So McJty, the guy who makes RFTools (a Good Mod) apparently has a son who is also now making minecraft mods, and he made this:

That's the cutest poo poo ever, and this mod actually sounds useful enough that I really want it. :v:

Yeap that scratches a few of my itches so that is in the BFSR todo now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Two questions:

1. Is there an optimization pack that works in tandem with forge-essentials? Apparently in 1.7.10, it will die with FastCraft. Will CoFHTweaks work?
2. Does blutonium turn 1:1 into cyanite when spent? I am trying to understand how far fuel reprocessing goes. I personally never bothered since I had laser drills going on faster than I could feed my reactors. However, I'd log on to my server game and find my buddy slapped one in. I don't know the details of reprocessing--just that cyanite processes 1:1, so it will eventually decay to nothing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Two questions:

1. Is there an optimization pack that works in tandem with forge-essentials? Apparently in 1.7.10, it will die with FastCraft. Will CoFHTweaks work?
2. Does blutonium turn 1:1 into cyanite when spent? I am trying to understand how far fuel reprocessing goes. I personally never bothered since I had laser drills going on faster than I could feed my reactors. However, I'd log on to my server game and find my buddy slapped one in. I don't know the details of reprocessing--just that cyanite processes 1:1, so it will eventually decay to nothing.

it takes 2 cyanite to make 1 blutonium

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The reprocessor takes two bars of cyanite and spits out one bar of blutonium (which is equivalent to yellorite). So fuel effectively decays half a bar each time through the reactor.

E: Which means you get infinitely close to 2 bars worth of fuel out of every bar of yellorite you put in, since blutonium also turns into cyanite 1:1.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 18, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Another way to look at it is that a stack of yellorite ore put through a pulveriser gives you 128 crafting ingots, but 255 ingots when used as fuel (128 + 64 + 32 + 16 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 1), meaning big reactors are even more efficient than they first seem.

e: curse you

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

4 postery

Yes i know it looks funky, we're working on it :xd:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Two questions:

What do you use FE for? Could be an alternative.

The other alternative is using the newest fastcraft: http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/forge-essentials-74735

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hay Taffer, I have the solution to your power generation needs! Make everybody use TNT generators:

I'm making it an end-level quest in BFSR, so lolmer, someday you are probably going to want to kill your kids if they play with speakers. Just about everything in that picture makes noise!

You're making my peaceful life hurt. :'( Though the Nether is still an enjoyable memory; my children still like going there and exploring, even after that scary first run.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I always hated the manual placement. Just let me click on a thing and be done with it.
Honestly, removing shaped crafting means bypassing one of the biggest mod problems there is: relying on every recipe to be unique. This means you could totally remove intermediary processed items and just say "okay, this costs 24 iron, 6 gold, 2 pearls, 40 stone, one blaze rod, and a feather". No crafting an iron matrix, pearlified gold, and condensed stone furnaces first. Just take all the components you'd need and change the recipe to a single step.

That's ultimately what I try to accomplish with my horrifying looking Word documents. Getting to the bottom of resource requirements. It's by no means perfect because sometimes I end up miscounting somewhere.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 18, 2016

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Two questions:

I'm not sure about you but I had so many people have CTD errors with fastcraft in http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/wh40k-blood-iron-pack.558927 that I actually had to remove it. This was without forge essentials, and the reports were from people with a diverse mix of computers (some crappy, some good). The game just locked up a few minutes into play and crashed without even generating a crash report. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it makes the game unplayable for the people it does happen to. I only figured out that it was related to fastcraft because it happened on my laptop (but not once on my desktop), and I narrowed it down to fastcraft through process of elimination.

A crafting system that only requires basic inputs would be great. Have a block that you click on to bring up a GUI with a list of all the things you can make. Select The Thing and a list of all the raw materials you need to make The Thing pops up, as well as countdown timers, energy requirements, and so on if The Thing calls for it. Bonus points if the block can check for the presence of other specific blocks in it's vicinity. Say, a 7x7x5 area. If The Thing needs a plate bending machine or whatever to be built, and a plate bending machine isn't in the area, you can't make The Thing. It's do-able, but a mod like that would take a lot of work.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Taffer posted:

Put it in Progress. :D

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

mensrea posted:

I'm not sure about you but I had so many people have CTD errors with fastcraft in http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/wh40k-blood-iron-pack.558927 that I actually had to remove it. This was without forge essentials, and the reports were from people with a diverse mix of computers (some crappy, some good). The game just locked up a few minutes into play and crashed without even generating a crash report. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it makes the game unplayable for the people it does happen to. I only figured out that it was related to fastcraft because it happened on my laptop (but not once on my desktop), and I narrowed it down to fastcraft through process of elimination.

A crafting system that only requires basic inputs would be great. Have a block that you click on to bring up a GUI with a list of all the things you can make. Select The Thing and a list of all the raw materials you need to make The Thing pops up, as well as countdown timers, energy requirements, and so on if The Thing calls for it. Bonus points if the block can check for the presence of other specific blocks in it's vicinity. Say, a 7x7x5 area. If The Thing needs a plate bending machine or whatever to be built, and a plate bending machine isn't in the area, you can't make The Thing. It's do-able, but a mod like that would take a lot of work.

Sounds like it might have been a mod interaction in your case. Fastcraft is in a lot of very high-profile packs with probably hundreds of thousands of users without systemic problems. At this point probably the only mod used more than fastcraft is invtweaks or ironchests.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Humans Among Us posted:

4 postery

Yes i know it looks funky, we're working on it :xd:

>< those look good. I wish i had the creativity to do something like that.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Second post.

Im trying to build a reactor, but i think ive stuffed up already.

I was going for a 5x5x5, but then i looked online and that seemed to be the internals, making the case 7x7.

ATM my reactor (unbuilt) is 7x7 and 5 tall.

Do i need to make the case 2 blocks taller? so that the case is 7x7x7 and the internal is 5x5x5?

(i have my digital miner up and running and it sucked my entire capacitator storage banks dry, so i have the stuff to build it (well maybe not the ender, but the website is telling my gelled cry something will be better anyhow)

And to automate it to best efficiency, 2 rednet ports or what?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

Second post.

I was going for a 5x5x5, but then i looked online and that seemed to be the internals, making the case 7x7.

Do i need to make the case 2 blocks taller? so that the case is 7x7x7 and the internal is 5x5x5?

(i have my digital miner up and running and it sucked my entire capacitator storage banks dry, so i have the stuff to build it (well maybe not the ender, but the website is telling my gelled cry something will be better anyhow)

you can make the interior anything you want, 1x1x1, 7x7x7, 5x6x7, 12x2x29, whatever. And yeah, rednet ports set to export internal battery % and export control rod %.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Second post.

The height isn't really important; a tall reactor just consumes more fuel and outputs more energy. I actually like 1 block reactors (3 including casing.)

The "optimal" design for a reactor is like so: http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...C8O3C8O3C8O3E4O . The trick is mostly in how the coolant works -- you want 3 layers of gelid cryotheum in every cardinal direction, then a single outer layer of resonant ender. The center block can be more cryotheum or even a graphite block; it makes almost no difference.

You could also build this more than 1 tall if you wanted.

As far as automation goes, if you have computercraft, use https://github.com/sandalle/minecraft_bigreactor_control . If not, 2 redstone ports work great -- have one output when the reactor is full, and run a lead from that into another redstone port which shuts off the reactor if the signal is high. This is super crude and will waste fuel on reactor warmup/core irradiation, but it's easy.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Taffer posted:

Reminds me a bit of HelperTools, which was also a cool mod. Being able to copy/paste structural stuff as long as you had the components was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

The height isn't really important; a tall reactor just consumes more fuel and outputs more energy. I actually like 1 block reactors (3 including casing.)

The "optimal" design for a reactor is like so: http://br.sidoh.org/#reactor-design...C8O3C8O3C8O3E4O . The trick is mostly in how the coolant works -- you want 3 layers of gelid cryotheum in every cardinal direction, then a single outer layer of resonant ender. The center block can be more cryotheum or even a graphite block; it makes almost no difference.

You could also build this more than 1 tall if you wanted.

As far as automation goes, if you have computercraft, use https://github.com/sandalle/minecraft_bigreactor_control . If not, 2 redstone ports work great -- have one output when the reactor is full, and run a lead from that into another redstone port which shuts off the reactor if the signal is high. This is super crude and will waste fuel on reactor warmup/core irradiation, but it's easy.

wow, ok so 11x11x1 is better than 7x7x5. hmm look.

Ok redesign 3 on the way