Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
The president has the explicit power to nominate a candidate, but does that also include the implicit power to withdraw the nomination? Could the GOP controlled lame duck senate claim no take backs and confirm Garland? Has the act of "withdrawing" a nomination been people behaving civilly and just acknowledging the president's request by not continuing with the advice and consent phase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
At this point Congress has the power to do whatever it can get away with.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DARPA posted:

The president has the explicit power to nominate a candidate, but does that also include the implicit power to withdraw the nomination? Could the GOP controlled lame duck senate claim no take backs and confirm Garland? Has the act of "withdrawing" a nomination been people behaving civilly and just acknowledging the president's request by not continuing with the advice and consent phase?

Well, they could try, but if Garland refused to serve there wouldn't be a lot they could do. Or he could "resign" instantly after they approve him, creating a new vacancy.

It's not an actual problem.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Apologies if this is a naive question, but could the Obama administration actually ask the (8-member) Supreme Court to rule on whether the constitution requires the Senate to give a hearing to their nominee? And if so, would the court be likely to rule in their favour?

No.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
It occurred to me today that the GOP committing a series of blatant, nakedly political acts under the guise of following the Constitution is perhaps the most appropriate way they could honor Scalia's memory.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Beforehand posted:

Can someone elaborate on Justice O'Connor being hostile to Justice Thomas? I can imagine reasons why, but would like to know what they actually were.

She basically never joined an opinion of his. She would write a concurring opinion when he wrote for a majority she wanted to be in, and didn't join his dissents when they were both outside the majority.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

climboutonalimb posted:

I really want the "people speaking" in November to be voting all these shitbird senators out of office; however, I know that won't happen.

Be careful what you wish for. I felt compelled to go vote in a republican primary for Thad Cochran not too long ago.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

DARPA posted:

The process has 3 parts:
1. President nominates
2. Senate consents
3. President appoints

Normally the third part is considered a formality because of course the president would want their nominee on the court, but technically he could decide not to make the appointment even after the Senate approves it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I hope that Garland understands that him getting appointed during the lame duck period would be terrible and shouldn't happen.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If I was Merrick garland, a good and not terribly ideological judge, I would probably rather not forego a seat on the Supreme Court just because that would be good for people who don't actually see the world or law the way I do.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

If I was Merrick garland, a good and not terribly ideological judge, I would probably rather not forego a seat on the Supreme Court just because that would be good for people who don't actually see the world or law the way I do.

gently caress him. When he croaks in ten years, the world will be glad President Clinton appointed a 50-year-old justice instead.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Chamale posted:

gently caress him. When he croaks in ten years, the world will be glad President Clinton appointed a 50-year-old justice instead.

http://www.theonion.com/article/merrick-garland-kind-uncomfortable-political-analy-52579

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Chamale posted:

I hope that Garland understands that him getting appointed during the lame duck period would be terrible and shouldn't happen.

Why?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
loving lol at hatch saying one thing and then when franken calls him on it he's just like "no you see actually what i meant to say was this completely different other thing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVW8zQM7oe4

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I am constantly astounded by how partisan and utterly ridiculous US politics currently is, how incredibly dull and uninteresting all the debate and discussion is. Everyone sounds bored. The only attempts to inject interest I've seen have been childish props.

Edit: Ok I just got to 'The President serves a 4 year term. Scientists tell us that he has approximately 10 months left in his term.' Not entirely boring.

MrNemo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 19, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chamale posted:

It's not like Garland's a walking corpse. I expect 20 years instead of 30.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

According to some bullshit life expectancy counter I just plugged his info into, you'd expect a healthy white male of his age and income to live to 89.

Even if that's optimistic, I don't think 63 is old enough to say that his age is a bad reason for the pick. I'd be more worried about what he'd do on the bench if actually confirmed.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Agronox posted:

I'd be more worried about what he'd do on the bench if actually confirmed.

Why? What specific issues are you worried about? What do you base this view on?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
At some point humans are going to live to 150+ years and we'll need to really seriously re-evaluate lifetime supreme court nominations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Remember who he's replacing. If Moderate Merrick Garland becomes the swing vote in the Supreme Court instead of Libertarian Anthony Kennedy, there will be a hell of a lot more 5-4 decisions in favour of the forces of good than there were before.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rygar201 posted:

Why? What specific issues are you worried about? What do you base this view on?

He is mediocre on criminal appeals. Tends to side against the convicted a slightly worrying proportion of the time.

Other than that he's pretty good, but he is definitely on the lawnorder end of the spectrum.

Still a massive improvement on Scalia unless you really care a LOT about rights re police searches, though.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The criminal justice piece is noteworthy, as Scalia was decent in fourth amendment stuff in particular.

But all in all he's a very good judge and would probably make liberals happy more often than not.

Also worth noting that to whatever extent he's 'robotic' in applying the law, as described above, maybe that changes on the Supreme Court. It's possible he would be a little more flexible with precedent when there isn't a higher court handing it down to him.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Agronox posted:

Even if that's optimistic, I don't think 63 is old enough to say that his age is a bad reason for the pick. I'd be more worried about what he'd do on the bench if actually confirmed.

I'm fine with him if he gets confirmed between now and November, but if the Dems win the election, the Repubs will be rushing to confirm Garland because he is their best-case scenario. If we reach that situation, I don't want to give the Republicans the best supreme court justice they could possibly get at that time just to preserve one man's feelings. I hope that Obama explained the deal to Garland before going ahead with the nomination.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Chamale posted:

I'm fine with him if he gets confirmed between now and November, but if the Dems win the election, the Repubs will be rushing to confirm Garland because he is their best-case scenario. If we reach that situation, I don't want to give the Republicans the best supreme court justice they could possibly get at that time just to preserve one man's feelings. I hope that Obama explained the deal to Garland before going ahead with the nomination.

It's okay, Nina Pillard is there for when the next old fart croaks or retires. She's basically the Crown RBG, but I'd bet on Kennedy or Breyer leaving the bench before her.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

MrNemo posted:

I am constantly astounded by how partisan and utterly ridiculous US politics currently is, how incredibly dull and uninteresting all the debate and discussion is. Everyone sounds bored. The only attempts to inject interest I've seen have been childish props.

You need a dose of roll call

http://youtu.be/lIVDWZpj8i0

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Chamale posted:

I hope that Obama explained the deal to Garland before going ahead with the nomination.

I get why everyone wants a younger more liberal nominee, especially if the Dems take the senate. And I understand the political situation re: the election and the republican senate influences who can get confirmed, but is there any particular reason to believe that Obama wants a significantly more liberal nominee?

Why is everyone starting from the assumption that Garland isn't just straight-up the person Obama wants to see on the court?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Chamale posted:

So...spite?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vahakyla posted:

Doesn't this ultimately make Chief Justice a good guy in a sense?
My family enjoys all the benefits, and so do millions of americans. Is that what motivated him in the end?

Is there a write up on his reasoning or motives, or can anyone elaborate?

"This helps people, so it must be allowed to stand" could not have been Roberts' thinking. It'd be too alien for him. Maybe he has a family member who simply needs the ACA or something and that's why he did it. Or maybe he simply knows that overturning the ACA would cause a horrific amount of damage to the US on multiple levels.

GoutPatrol posted:

Some people are bemoaning that he might 'only' serve 20-30 years instead of 40+ not realizing that a couple decades is still a really loving long time (especially when most people complaining are probably 30 or less years old).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Capt. Sticl posted:

Why is everyone starting from the assumption that Garland isn't just straight-up the person Obama wants to see on the court?

Such is the power of Obamaschloss over the mind of many American progressives. Either that or he's just too willing to capitulate, because they're stuck groundhog day style somewhere in 2011.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Wanting a stronger pick after Hillary takes POTUS and presumably the Dems retake the Senate instead of letting the GOP have its cake and eat it too is not spite

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Garland's appointment would pull the court further left than it's been in nearly half a century. "But it could be slightly more liberal!" is not a good reason to pull the nomination of an incredibly accomplished and well-respected jurist.

I'm not seeing anything to suggest that Garland is some sort of sleeper-conservative, either. He seems pretty in-line with Kagan and Breyer.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
If you don't do that, or threaten to do that, and if the GOP knows it, then there is no downside to the stupid game they are playing. No risk. Obama puts forward a centrist compromise nominee and the Senate shuts down the confirmations on the off chance that Literally Hitler wins the election this year and they can approve Sarah Palin instead. Then, if Literally Hitler isn't elected, they still get the compromise candidate anyway. If that's the calculus the GOP makes, and if Obama and the Democrats give them no reason to think it won't work, then in fact what they're doing makes perfect sense and is totally rational. Usually, you don't want to give assholes good reasons to continue to be assholes, if you can help it.

To put it more bluntly, if the Democrats are spineless, then the GOP is right to walk all over them.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Kilroy posted:

If you don't do that, or threaten to do that, and if the GOP knows it, then there is no downside to the stupid game they are playing. No risk. Obama puts forward a centrist compromise nominee and the Senate shuts down the confirmations on the off chance that Literally Hitler wins the election this year and they can approve Sarah Palin instead. Then, if Literally Hitler isn't elected, they still get the compromise candidate anyway. If that's the calculus the GOP makes, and if Obama and the Democrats give them no reason to think it won't work, then in fact what they're doing makes perfect sense and is totally rational. Usually, you don't want to give assholes good reasons to continue to be assholes, if you can help it.

To put it more bluntly, if the Democrats are spineless, then the GOP is right to walk all over them.

Ignorant and petulant, a winning combination. Weren't you the idiot trying to pretend the Senate's silence=consent?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Magres posted:

Wanting a stronger pick after Hillary takes POTUS and presumably the Dems retake the Senate instead of letting the GOP have its cake and eat it too is not spite

It's also not what he said. :v:

Edit: I was responding to him in particular, not the entire collection of posters who've expressed unhappiness with Garland.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

farraday posted:

Ignorant and petulant, a winning combination. Weren't you the idiot trying to pretend the Senate's silence=consent?
Yeah that one wasn't tongue-in-cheek at all, you dumb poo poo :rolleyes:

But sure, go ahead and continue to explain how endless compromise with intransigent assholes strengthens your own hand. Surely you can point to the last 20 years of Democratic politics as proof.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

farraday posted:

Excuse me, but

Squizzle posted:

I kind of want the President to surf the edge of a constitutional crisis by citing the "shall" thing, and saying that the Senate will be assumed to consent in this case unless they vote specifically to say that they do not consent.

Really ride the wave of this "lol nothing matters" year.

It's me, I'm the original idiot. Do not steal.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Capt. Sticl posted:

I get why everyone wants a younger more liberal nominee, especially if the Dems take the senate. And I understand the political situation re: the election and the republican senate influences who can get confirmed, but is there any particular reason to believe that Obama wants a significantly more liberal nominee?

He passed over him twice, for starters.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Squizzle posted:

Excuse me, but

It's me, I'm the original idiot. Do not steal.

No it wasn't he beat you by a month.

Kilroy posted:

The Constitution doesn't really define "consent" though. What is consent? Are we talking about affirmative consent, or what?

If they don't hold hearings, then they can't say no. That's consent :colbert:

And now he's trying to pretend his repeated attempts to justify it were tongue in cheek because that sounds better than being an equivocating rear end in a top hat.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yeah I said that poo poo a long time ago. I also said this:

Kilroy posted:

You have some reason to believe they will reverse course once there is a nominee?

I don't know what you mean by "get a grip"? What haven't I got a grip on? The President is definitely going to put forward a nominee, and every indication is that the Senate will neither consent to nor decline to consent to that nominee - i.e. they will not be putting that to a vote.

Fwiw, to my mind that means "decline to consent". But I'm far from convinced.
So gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Kilroy posted:

Yeah I said that poo poo a long time ago. I also said this:

So gently caress off.

I'm far from convinced. Perhaps you'd care to gently caress off with me?