Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The Silver Surfer, The Ultimate Cosmic Experience!!!!! is really fucken good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Doom helped deliver Valeria the time that it worked, and named her (after the love of his life). He's her godfather, so to her she's family.

I don't recommend trying to read all the nonsense that led to her unrebirth.

Thanks for the tl;dr version. WTF is an "unrebirth" though? :psyboom: drat time travel / parallel universe stuff melts my mind.

Skwirl posted:

Fantastic Four 48 and 49 features Galactus' first appearance. Silver Surfer: Parable is a great retelling of Galactus' first appearance on an earth without any superheroes. I imagine both are on comixology.

bobkatt013 posted:

The Silver Surfer, The Ultimate Cosmic Experience!!!!! is really fucken good
Are these recommendations further Galactus stories, or more along the lines of first appearance/origin type stories? I will check them out, but I'm really looking for good stories beyond first appearance/origin type stories.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Check out Galacta for sure. It's a must have for Galactus fans.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

B33rChiller posted:

Thanks for the tl;dr version. WTF is an "unrebirth" though? :psyboom: drat time travel / parallel universe stuff melts my mind.

Stay away from X-men comics. :v: All you need to know is that Sue was exposed to some bad cosmic radiation while pregnant and miscarried, but later ridiculous events led to that being undone and the child being born healthy. The reason I say to not bother looking into it is that you'd be reading disjointed issues set several years apart and not really appreciate anything that's going on.

X-O posted:

Mods shouldn't troll.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Mods shouldn't troll.

It's essential reading.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

This but unironically.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It's honestly pretty rare for Galactus to have stories that are really about him. He'll show up in pretty much every Silver Surfer series or limited, and tends to have a place in most cosmic events. The Annihilation event had at least one really great moment for him.

There are occasionally things like in the most recent Surfer series, where he comes upon a planet entirely populated by refugees by worlds that got eaten and the fallout/dynamics of that.

Unfortunately, comic writers have the phenomenally bad habit of repeatedly having their pet badasses clown on Galactus to show how much of a threat they are. It's either that or stop the juggernaut.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

X-O posted:

You're the worst.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

B33rChiller posted:

Are these recommendations further Galactus stories, or more along the lines of first appearance/origin type stories? I will check them out, but I'm really looking for good stories beyond first appearance/origin type stories.

They're great stories. Hell, I really recommend the entire Lee/Kirby run on FF. It's one of the greatest long runs in Superhero books that exists.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

B33rChiller posted:

Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo did a good Galactus story when they had the book - their run as a whole is very good and definitely worth checking out if you're interested in the Fantastic Four. Maybe the second or third best there's been.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I read through Trial of the Punisher and Punisher MAX 1-22 on the recommendation of the Daredevil Season 2 thread in TV/IV. Absolutely loved it! Now I am in the mood for dark and gritty stuff. I've started Deadpool MAX and I'm not entirely sure I'm vibing it as much as I enjoyed Punisher MAX. I've heard really good things about Preacher and Alias. Where should I go from here?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If it can be just a good violent crime book, my favorite is Stray Bullets.
The first issue is free on Comixology https://www.comixology.com/Stray-Bullets/comics-series/13959?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Windows 98 posted:

I read through Trial of the Punisher and Punisher MAX 1-22 on the recommendation of the Daredevil Season 2 thread in TV/IV. Absolutely loved it! Now I am in the mood for dark and gritty stuff. I've started Deadpool MAX and I'm not entirely sure I'm vibing it as much as I enjoyed Punisher MAX. I've heard really good things about Preacher and Alias. Where should I go from here?

Preacher and Alias are great.

I say Criminal. Pick up any volume as they're (mostly) unconnected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_%28comics%29

Grab Sleeper if you want more super powers in your story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_%28comics%29

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

You might as well read Ennis' Punisher stories under the Max imprint, which are in the same continuity as Jason Aaron's Punisher MAX and directly precede it. They're not all gold but that run is considered the definitive Punisher by most people. You can start here. Some people consider Ennis' earlier Punisher stories in the main Marvel continuity to be part of the MAX run but ehhh. The tone's pretty different.

Deadpool MAX only gets weirder from the start so if you're not into it right now it's probably only going to lose you more as you go on.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

You might as well read Ennis' Punisher stories under the Max imprint, which are in the same continuity as Jason Aaron's Punisher MAX and directly precede it. They're not all gold but that run is considered the definitive Punisher by most people. You can start here. Some people consider Ennis' earlier Punisher stories in the main Marvel continuity to be part of the MAX run but ehhh. The tone's pretty different.

Deadpool MAX only gets weirder from the start so if you're not into it right now it's probably only going to lose you more as you go on.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions :). I'm going to give this 2004 MAX run a go. May as well stick with my little Punisher binge.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'll toss in Torso by Bendis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torso_(Image_Comics)

If you like that his other books from that time are also good. Fire, Jinx, and Goldfish were solid (although I didn't like them as much as Torso). Powers is cop-perspective superhero law & order. Alias, which you mentioned, is also great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_(comics)

If you find you like Powers but want grittier, and also liked Criminal which you should definitely read because it is excellent, then Gotham Central by Brubaker and Rucka is your next stop. It is Batman from the cop perspective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_Central

Also read Queen & Country by Rucka, it is British spy stuff but "realistic".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_%26_Country

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Lurdiak posted:

They just started republishing these in larger trades, so buy this instead

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I actually prefer to read in CBR on my tablet and use my comic spendin' money for silver age stuff that never gets opened. The android comic reading app I use is so nice for keeping it all organized.

That being said, I got through about 12 issues of that 75 issue 2004 Punisher run last night and could not stop turning the pages until I could hardly keep my eyes open at 1:30am. It was 1000% my poo poo and exactly what I was looking for. I can assume that these other suggestions are also dope and I'm excited to start picking through them over the next week.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Windows 98 posted:

I actually prefer to read in CBR on my tablet and use my comic spendin' money for silver age stuff that never gets opened. The android comic reading app I use is so nice for keeping it all organized.

Can I ask which app? I've tried a ton and have disliked most for one reason or another* to the point that I just use the PDFs that comiXology gives you instead of the CBRs.

*Slow, buggy, lovely interface, or a combination of all three!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Lurdiak posted:

I saw him get this recommendation in the DD thread, and I didn't know until I read your post that the ones recommended WEREN'T the ones you linked. That first MAX run is amazing. Aaron's and Dillon's is good, but I don't think most of it stacks up. I think it was Bullseye that ruined it for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

That being said, I got through about 12 issues of that 75 issue 2004 Punisher run last night and could not stop turning the pages until I could hardly keep my eyes open at 1:30am. It was 1000% my poo poo and exactly what I was looking for. I can assume that these other suggestions are also dope and I'm excited to start picking through them over the next week.

Enjoy yourself! You might want to pick up Fury MAX: My War Gone By once you're done, which is about that version of Punisher's Nick Fury, also written by Ennis, and features some Frank cameos. Don't confuse it with the first Ennis Nick Fury MAX trade, which is also entertaining but not canon at all.

Oh, and at some point you might want to pick up Punisher: Born, which is essentially Ennis' version of the Punisher origin story in the MAX continuity, but published outside his regular run. It can go anywhere in your binge, really.

10 Beers posted:

I saw him get this recommendation in the DD thread, and I didn't know until I read your post that the ones recommended WEREN'T the ones you linked. That first MAX run is amazing. Aaron's and Dillon's is good, but I don't think most of it stacks up. I think it was Bullseye that ruined it for me.

I think Aaron's run is exactly what the character needed after years and years of Ennis, but the Dillon art did drag it down a couple notches.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I took advantage of the deal for Marvel Unlimited for cheaper. I'm wanting to read the Secret Wars stuff since it looks like it's mostly up on unlimited now. Should I go by the reading order in the app or are there other books I should read before or during? Also, is the death of wolverine worth reading? It looks like the new marvel thread is good for stuff after secret wars so I'll use that after it starts being available on unlimited.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr E posted:

I took advantage of the deal for Marvel Unlimited for cheaper. I'm wanting to read the Secret Wars stuff since it looks like it's mostly up on unlimited now. Should I go by the reading order in the app or are there other books I should read before or during? Also, is the death of wolverine worth reading? It looks like the new marvel thread is good for stuff after secret wars so I'll use that after it starts being available on unlimited.

There is no real reading order for Secret Wars. Almost all of the minis are separate from the actual event itself. They just take place on the same world.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

There is no real reading order for Secret Wars. Almost all of the minis are separate from the actual event itself. They just take place on the same world.

Well, there's NA/Avengers/Infinity. I wouldn't try to read SW without reading all that lead up, especially since they're all available on MU too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And I'd argue Siege should be read before the main mini, at least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

And I'd argue Siege should be read before the main mini, at least.

It should be read concurrently. There's things that happen in the main mini that affect the events in Siege, and the finale of Siege ties directly into the main mini.

I seem to recall people saying something else tied in, but I don't recall what it was.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I seem to recall people saying something else tied in, but I don't recall what it was.

Thors?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, there was that, too (good call), but I think there was one I didn't read. *shrug*

EDIT: The Sinister one?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inhumans?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Inhumans?

That one was more about how big of dick Doom can be. It really had nothing to do with the main story. The ones that did are the ones where someone from the craft co-stared and Old Man Logan.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Attilan Rising is worth reading if you're planning on continuing Charles Soule's stuff, especially with the last couple of issues of Uncanny Inhumans.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Attilan Rising is worth reading if you're planning on continuing Charles Soule's stuff, especially with the last couple of issues of Uncanny Inhumans.

If the writer of the secret wars mini is writing the title currently they are important as things from the mini might return. The only two I can honestly say are worthless are House of M and Ultimate End. I am still a fan of Bendis and Ultimate Spider-man but holy poo poo Ultimate End was pointless. House of M was just boring and nothing happened, and no character actually grew.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If you have Marvel Unlimited just read all the tie ins and main book.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Better yet read Avengers and New Avengers and skip all of Secret Wars.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I also recommend reading 90% of a story and stopping.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I only say that because the lead up was so good and the ending so boring.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hadji murad posted:

Not true.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

hadji murad posted:

Better yet read Avengers and New Avengers and skip all of Secret Wars.

Yeah totally skip 9 well done comics at the end of the run you just read. :rolleyes:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hadji murad posted:

For that you get no pocket burger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I poked the sloppy conclusion hornets nest.

Also the only good SW mini series was written by Dan Slott. Skip the rest.