Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The real] problem here is that someone at SE in Japan still thought it would be a good idea to make you play through each sidequest 4 times in order to get all the cutscenes.

Why make that choice in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

The real] problem here is that someone at SE in Japan still thought it would be a good idea to make you play through each sidequest 4 times in order to get all the cutscenes.

It's almost certainly a case of "we have this thematic idea we want to do and thought about that before if it's any fun to play." Bravely Default had the same problem.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pureauthor posted:

I thought I heard that the replays through the scenarios were significantly shorter than a full on "do everything over again" situation. Can't confirm myself though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ventana posted:

I thought I heard that the replays through the scenarios were significantly shorter than a full on "do everything over again" situation. Can't confirm myself though.

After finishing the game, you can fire up New Game+ and tailor specifically what is brought over and what chapter to start on. Getting the sidequest scenes you haven't seen isn't hard by any stretch, more a test of patience because it's mostly just running across a map with encounters off because you're mega powered level 99 maxed out jobs.

Having to re-do them isn't the best or arguably a valid reason to cut them because it's just that easy.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 18, 2016

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
You know, I wonder what happened afterwards when Ringabel went to save his world's Edea & companions. Also, interesting to know that Ringabel now loves the Edea from the world where he became Ringabel, rather than the Edea from his world (who is the actual Edea whom he wrote all those flowery things about in BD's Enigmatic Writings). I wonder if we'll see what happened in the period from when Ringabel saved his Edea to meeting back up with the Edea we're familiar with in a sequel.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Folt The Bolt posted:

You know, I wonder what happened afterwards when Ringabel went to save his world's Edea & companions. Also, interesting to know that Ringabel now loves the Edea from the world where he became Ringabel, rather than the Edea from his world (who is the actual Edea whom he wrote all those flowery things about in BD's Enigmatic Writings). I wonder if we'll see what happened in the period from when Ringabel saved his Edea to meeting back up with the Edea we're familiar with in a sequel.

Ringabel cockblocking himself makes me feel bad for Alternis.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

gently caress Alternis, such a dork who deserves all the poo poo he gets.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

No way, man, he's the coolest. :(

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bravely Second is an action-game based on ancient memeian history

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If Minette plays a keyboard, I will throw my 3DS through a window.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No way, man, he's the coolest. :(

To be honest, Alternis as-is would never have a chance at winning Edea's heart anyway. The moment pre-world Alternis lost his memory and became Ringabel, he would be forever changed.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

I don't think we need to spoiler tag the stuff about Alternis and Ringabel since that's from Default and literally the first thing Second does is spoil everything spoilable about the previous game. So even if someone didn't play Default, they'll find out about all that as soon as they start Second.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Eh, Edea clearly sees Alternis more as a brother since they were raised together or whatever. He never had a shot. And frankly, he seems to have mostly gotten over it anyway. The only time his crush on Edea is brought up is when he's beaten half to death in his asterisk fight. Unlike BD, when basically every moment he was onscreen he just talked about Edea.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Alternis may be a loser who is not very smart, but he is also pretty cool imo. I like that he is very concerned with getting all the orphans and homeless kids new toys and education and stuff. Perhaps overly so. But still, it's very nice of him. :3:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alternis was my favorite male character in the first game, with DeRosso and Victor being other top contenders.

And Ringabel, but... well. :v:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

To be honest, I think BD made it rather clear that Alternis kinda idolized Edea and put her on a rather high pedestal that she couldn't and would not stay on, whereas when pre-world Alternis became Ringabel, all he had to go on when it came to Edea was his (though he didn't know it because amnesia) journal and his flowery description of her and he didn't quite expect Edea to be who she was at first (because of... um... said flowery descriptions of her), and for some reason he thought he was a dandy. By the time the game was over, Ringabel had fallen in love with this world's Edea because she was Edea, not because she was the "innocent" daughter of the man who gave him a new family and purpose.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a broken job combo for chaining battles?

I'm in chapter 2 and just unlocked the ninja. I vaguely recall someone here mentioning they were able to get a 99 chain with ninjas so it would be good to find out.

I'm already over levelled from completing the bestiary but I really like breaking the game over my knee too.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Kin posted:

Is there a broken job combo for chaining battles?

I'm in chapter 2 and just unlocked the ninja. I vaguely recall someone here mentioning they were able to get a 99 chain with ninjas so it would be good to find out.

I'm already over levelled from completing the bestiary but I really like breaking the game over my knee too.

Ranger's Berserk + Red Mage's BP Recover is one way to do it - put that on all your characters, and as long as you're strong enough to one-shot enemies while berserked (and don't run into a pack of >4 enemies) you can keep doing that forever..

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

fezball posted:

Ranger's Berserk + Red Mage's BP Recover is one way to do it - put that on all your characters, and as long as you're strong enough to one-shot enemies while berserked (and don't run into a pack of >4 enemies) you can keep doing that forever..

I picked the black mage asterisk :smith:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just picked this up, is there anything special I should know before playing?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Andrast posted:

I just picked this up, is there anything special I should know before playing?

Not really, nothing in this game is permanently missable - you do have to make choices sometimes, but you will have a chance to take the other path later.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A tiny selection of weapons are steal only from story bosses. Maybe 2. They're not any better than any other weapons you can get and once you finish the game and get NG+, picking them up isn't hard anyway.

e:
The ones that spring to mind:
Janne in Ch.4. Final boss of Ch.5

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
In the first game, I had a thing about getting 8 of every one handed weapon for potential dual-wield shenanigans.

Now I need to get 16 of every weapon. :negative:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

In the first game, I had a thing about getting 8 of every one handed weapon for potential dual-wield shenanigans.

Oh, you did that too huh? Ha. Yeah, grinding for gold will be fun!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Don't forget extras for throwing!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Whew. Finally completed the game. Spellcrafted magic owns!

Yew was a Black Mage with Time Magic as his secondary ability. Coupled with Chainspell and Spellcraft, Meteors and elemental magic would rain down upon the foe and Aspir was useful as an MP recovery tool when I didn't have time for Turbo Ethers. He was the magical attacker of the four.

Edea was a Guardian with Holy Magic as her secondary ability. Part-tank, part healer, she withstood most attacks and healed off any damage inflicted on her.

Magnolia was a Hawkeye with Confectionery as her secondary ability. She was probably the most versatile of them all, playing the role of physical attacker, debuffer, and secondary healer through items, but her main role was as a debuffer.

Tiz was a Dark Knight with Catmancy as his secondary ability. Needless to say, he was the physical attacker of the four, possessing a slew of useful physical moves and the ever-great Dark Arts moveset.

Yew was without a doubt the main hero of the story, and a great one: a good mix of genius and dork. He got a lot of character development, going from skilled but naïve upperclass dork to capable and just leader (while still being a dork), and everytime I thought he had showed all that was to show of himself, he defied expectations. Also liked that the "player as celestial being" resided in his body this time around.

Edea started off... kinda eh in contrast to the first game, but the latter parts of the game (and the Yoko Sidequest in particular) made me appreciate her all over again. And her porking on food is always good for a laugh.

Magnolia was good, but I think underused a bit. Kind of like Tiz in the first game but in the opposite way. (Tiz was alright, but definitely had the weakest characterization of the main characters in Bravely Default.) Still, the love story between her and Yew was great to watch! (Though it kinda disappeared around the latter parts of the game... until the end.) Her "bravely defaulting" at the end though was both awesome and hilarious.

With Tiz being a secondary main character, like Edea, this time around, as well as being older and experienced from his previous adventure, he became a lot better. Though he still mostly sticks to the role of being the heart of the group, it was better done in this game than in the previous game.

The two major supporting characters, Agnés and Altair were also great! Agnés definitely felt better characterwise in this game than in the first (though that may have been because she keeps her character development from that game), and some of the funnier moments came from the "Tell me more Agnés" segments. Altair was a bit like Yew personality-wise, but more scientist and scholar than leader. He was definitely likable though, and had a well defined backstory. Speaking of backstory, the love story between Altair and Vega was a rather strong moment in the game, and it definitely helped me understand the designs of the Ba'als more. (Plus, when they reunited at the end I got all those widdle butterflies in my stomach. :kimchi:)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So I've been playing this, and I'm up to the beginning of Chapter V. And... I feel like offensive magic is just one gigantic trap or something. Unbuffed, my casters are hitting for 1500-2000 damage with -ga spells at 45 MP a pop, while my physical hitters are regularly hitting for 3500+ with a single, no-MP Trample, and that's just with regular old dual wielding. Amped Strike just outright hits the cap (albeit at a steep MP cost - nothing Free Lunch won't fix, though...), but even Double Damage hits hard enough to obliterate everything in short order. Am I missing something with regard to making offensive casters, y'know, useful?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Spellcrafting.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Spellcraft what, though? Spellcrafting eats BP, and I don't feel like even Arrow beats Wanton Destruction (which already does 5000+ damage to everything - 9999 with a crit or two) for the same BP investment. A Blizzaga Arrow is still only going to hit for about 8000-10000 damage total across four enemies, compared to 20000 out of a physical equivalent - and at a higher MP cost, too. Besides, when am I ever going to be a in a fight against more than one enemy where Wanton Destruction isn't just going to wipe the entire enemy team turn one? Bosses tend to be alone...

Now, stuff like Benediction Mist is nice, but that's because the white magic generally just feels better at its job in general.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 20, 2016

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Spellcraft Rain can do ridiculous amounts of damage against elemental weakness (using Summons, -ga spells or even plain Meteor). The casting passive from the final job adds another multiplier on top of that, which allows you to get 80-100k out of 4 BP quite reliably (with some buffs applied).

Physicals get their own utterly broken combos of course, but offensive magic is definitely competitive. Spellcrafted high-.end magic does require tons of MP though, but there's solutions to that as well.

fezball fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 20, 2016

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

fezball posted:

Spellcraft Rain can do ridiculous amounts of damage against elemental weakness (using Summons, -ga spells or even plain Meteor). The casting passive from the final job adds another multiplier on top of that, which allows you to get 80-100k out of 4 BP quite reliably (with some buffs applied).

Physicals get their own utterly broken combos of course, but offensive magic is definitely competitive. Spellcrafted high-.end magic does require tons of MP though, but there's solutions to that as well.

Basically this. Nothing feels more great than to chip off huge chunks of enemy HP through Meteor Rains. And then you add stuff like Ventriloquism and Chainspell into the mix. :allears:

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Ghosting three of your characters also buffs magic.

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 20, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EchoEcho

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So I've been playing this, and I'm up to the beginning of Chapter V. And... I feel like offensive magic is just one gigantic trap or something. Unbuffed, my casters are hitting for 1500-2000 damage with -ga spells at 45 MP a pop, while my physical hitters are regularly hitting for 3500+ with a single, no-MP Trample, and that's just with regular old dual wielding. Amped Strike just outright hits the cap (albeit at a steep MP cost - nothing Free Lunch won't fix, though...), but even Double Damage hits hard enough to obliterate everything in short order. Am I missing something with regard to making offensive casters, y'know, useful?

A pierce M.def rain summon hits an individual character on a weakness for about 20k damage. Unless you're getting a 9999 per turn investment from physical classes, offensive magic is incredibly strong. With amped strike that's completely possible of course.

I /think/ there's a way to replicate the BP recovery trick from Default. I need to experiment but I'm pretty sure it's there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's technically next chapter stuff, but the jump in difficulty is negligible by that point but Meteor Rain hits guaranteed 40k with a chance of a free multiples of that 40k with Echo for 2BP when you are in final gear in 99% of scenarios. Echo can proc from proc from Echo attacks. You can kill anything in 2BP theoretically.

*Guaranteeing* essentially free (depends how much you care about pg) 9999 hits is also possible with melee classes. Amped Strike is pointless because Double Damage gets you to the 9999 cap easily anyway. Dragonlord Strike is your go-to but it's worse than Hit+ 2/3/4 Wielding Ninja that can also do the 40k but it's harder.

Default strats are 100% busted and outdated news honestly. BP batteries aren't especially needed, but are always nice.

Guarantee'd 9999 isn't always optimal, except when you're Meteor Raining because that is guarantee'd and optimal.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 20, 2016

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Nah, this one is busted.

Just finished testing, so Patissier can beat the My Hero BP battery since it inherited Default's BP recovery strat. Item for all lets you use any item, including the Patissier items on all characters. That works with Poison pastry. Equip your entire party with BP recovery and hurl pastries at yourself to gain 4 BP a turn on three of your guys and be BP neutral on your fourth. If you don't have cash you can use mimic to make the pastries free. If not you can sub in another class for the turn where you don't need to battery as hard. That beats out any other BP recovery based strategy in the game easily.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I meant inherited Bravely Default strats are busted, not defaulting as an action, or building BP.

Spamming Amped Strike is pointless etc etc

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

An accurate representation of my current strategy in Chapter 5.

Mash BP recovery from Poison, Drop 80k damage per turn from my caster.

Occasionally my healer, who keeps spamming resurrection mist will use sacrifice rain for another 20k on top of that.

Edea, my physical damager watches. I don't think she'll ever actually manage to do anything.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

An accurate representation of my current strategy in Chapter 5.

Mash BP recovery from Poison, Drop 80k damage per turn from my caster.

Occasionally my healer, who keeps spamming resurrection mist will use sacrifice rain for another 20k on top of that.

Edea, my physical damager watches. I don't think she'll ever actually manage to do anything.

Meteor spam is just so good. :allears:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The tent scenes are the loving best.

"Here Comes Another Schnitzel!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Finishing the Ba'al journal entries takes foreeeeeeeever.

• Locked thread