Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

I think it's the beginning of the end phase too, I've been wrong before as people really are amazingly dumb, but I really think it's becoming harder to hide how deceptive the whole thing is.
I still can't believe Ben just said they were going to have natural disasters be a part of their Procedurally Generated planet systems. I can't believe he really believes it. This isn't SimCity.

Frontier is inching their way towards Volcanic worlds and one suspects, however they handle volcanic activity, that any man-made planetary objects (bases, cities, whatever) won't be truly at risk...

For Ben to act like it's no-big-deal, to imply that "sure, earthquakes might hit" or whatever and affect the NPCs and world's is outright lunacy or more likely brazen dishonesty. A real developer would immediately shut that down and say "Look, weather systems are one thing-- and yeah, you might occasionally get rain on Arccorp or whatever. But let's be real-- we're not spending 1 or 2 years developing ArcCorp so we can have an earthquake break stuff apart. You want that crap, go play Battlefield and blow up a dam or something nerd..."

But not Ben. He's studied under the master, I guess.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3kNozhTMow

twerk17 rationalizes why Star Citizen isn't actually any fun. awkward.
Wow- this is quite a stream. Poo-pooing on the Free Flight weekends for a game in a broken state? They better shape up... Starting sound a bit like heretics.

LOL at their speculations about ships that would be available in the sale.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

I still can't believe Ben just said they were going to have natural disasters be a part of their Procedurally Generated planet systems. I can't believe he really believes it. This isn't SimCity.

Frontier is inching their way towards Volcanic worlds and one suspects, however they handle volcanic activity, that any man-made planetary objects (bases, cities, whatever) won't be truly at risk...

For Ben to act like it's no-big-deal, to imply that "sure, earthquakes might hit" or whatever and affect the NPCs and world's is outright lunacy or more likely brazen dishonesty. A real developer would immediately shut that down and say "Look, weather systems are one thing-- and yeah, you might occasionally get rain on Arccorp or whatever. But let's be real-- we're not spending 1 or 2 years developing ArcCorp so we can have an earthquake break stuff apart. You want that crap, go play Battlefield and blow up a dam or something nerd..."

But not Ben. He's studied under the master, I guess.

I'm sure those natural disasters will end up in the same closet as that missing chair. And when asked about it they'll say there might have been a communication error and they're looking into it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So according to the transcript, they are hoping to have both the Reliant and Starfarer in the hanger for 2.3?

Bwahahaha.

They must really be feeling the heat to attempt to show progress no matter how broken when they shovel it out.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

ShredsYouSay posted:

That hangar might be a bit big, there's a lot of z-fighting. Isn't this supposed to be 64 bit?

I think that was just the world coordinate system and not the renderer. So your position in the hangar is probably represented internally down to the nearest nanometer, you just can't see it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GQ1HFb2Vwg

He's so bored in this.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I love how imaginative the name 'Vanduul Kingship' is.

I'm wondering if one of the other alien races might be the Ostrichgoths - ostrich-headed people, obviously. I mean Vanduul is a silly re-imagining of 'Vandal' with a couple changed letters, but why stop there? You can do that for all the tribes that overran Rome.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4azub1/disco_is_walking_through_the_starfarer_in_game_on/

Yeah, I'm sure it will

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

It'll work. Just like everything else has worked.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Jason Sextro posted:

I'm wondering if one of the other alien races might be the Ostrichgoths - ostrich-headed people, obviously. I mean Vanduul is a silly re-imagining of 'Vandal' with a couple changed letters, but why stop there? You can do that for all the tribes that overran Rome.

The BARB-arions, a race of giant hedgehogs

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

People are very excited

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/322760/starfarer-this-is-what-i-m-talking-about

Oh...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

"Should you buy this? No."

Ouch.

I'm still listening to the Redacted podcast... Man, they've got high hopes for 2.3 features this month.

Loot-drops from ships? Cover mechanics? Nyx? Multiple new hangar-ready ships? Star Marine? Lots of new player animations? Persistence? Landing zones on ArcCorp and maybe Nyx?

Would you be happy with an in-game store, guys?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

Ouch.

I'm still listening to the Redacted podcast... Man, they've got high hopes for 2.3 features this month.

Loot-drops from ships? Cover mechanics? Nyx? Multiple new hangar-ready ships? Star Marine? Lots of new player animations? Persistence? Landing zones on ArcCorp and maybe Nyx?

lol, cover mechanics were supposed to be in 2.2

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Are my codings unsound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdNsltQXTVU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
releasing a ship as a "surprise" to backers is like going to McDonalds, paying for a Big Mac, then 6 hours later they're like "Surprise! here's your BigMac" but it's only a photo of a BigMac

drat now i want apple pie

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

hahaha yesss

G0RF posted:

Ouch.

did you get to the part were twerk was scared that there might not be a store in 2.3?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Jason Sextro posted:

Parpuul Pimpship

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Tell you what, they would gain SO much credibility if they just said "we have enough money now to develop the game we dreamed of, we're going to stop selling ships now". They won't of course because they don't, a) have enough money left to fix the broken mess that is the tech demo or b) actually have a cohesive well thought out plan for what they game they dreamed of even IS, let alone what it should cost to make.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

did you get to the part were twerk was scared that there might not be a store in 2.3?
Ha- yes I just heard it.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Madcosby posted:

releasing a ship as a "surprise" to backers is like going to McDonalds, paying for a Big Mac, then 6 hours later they're like "Surprise! here's your BigMac" but it's only a photo of a BigMac

drat now i want apple pie

lmao if you didn't get pie on Monday.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
If the sale continues to do badly, Chris Roberts will throw a wobbly and someone will get accused of having no balls. :lesnick: will get stressed and start effort posting on the forums, then if someone says the wrong thing to him he might even start angry posting.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Ha- yes I just heard it.

Link to time?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The youtube comments are hilarious, people are angry about a new concept sale going up before their ships are "finished" and "delivered" as if the backers who do "have" their ships are remotely better off. Having access to a ship isn't much use when you can only use it in a broken buggy mess of a half finished tech demo.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

Ah see, you're close but you didn't quite get it. It's true the Vanduul are loosely based on a group of "real-world" pillagers who savaged civilization, but you're thinking too early in human history. In reality the name comes from these guys:

Who perfected the art of separating bored losers from their money in 2009. The FanDuel race served as inspiration not just for the in-game Vanduul, but also for Cloud Imperium Games themselves.

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.
Too much catte. Have a panda.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

G0RF posted:

We may have reached Peak Sperm Whale Oil. I may need to adjust my Market Saturation chart.

Yeah, especially since this is a combat ship which those tended to sell better. You do seem to have a lot of infographs and information. Is there a google doc page or the like where it is all stored at? I'd love to look through it. I am kind of an econ numbers nerd so I'm very interested in how this has been playing out. If this sale doesn't generate half a million dollars then we know they are in deep poo poo. Not that they weren't already, but it seems that the whales are slowing their funding.

Think about it like this. It's the 18th and a Friday, that means the 15th payday and the minimum wage grubs have both been paid within the last 4 days. Most teachers in Texas get paid between the 15th and 20th. I don't know how all jobs get paid but it's either weekly, bi weekly, or monthly from what I've always understood. The self-employed bitcoin millionaires get paid whenever they sell off. So why is this sale doing so poorly? Answer : the steam in the engine is running out.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Darkpriest667 posted:

Yeah, especially since this is a combat ship which those tended to sell better. You do seem to have a lot of infographs and information. Is there a google doc page or the like where it is all stored at? I'd love to look through it. I am kind of an econ numbers nerd so I'm very interested in how this has been playing out. If this sale doesn't generate half a million dollars then we know they are in deep poo poo. Not that they weren't already, but it seems that the whales are slowing their funding.

Think about it like this. It's the 18th and a Friday, that means the 15th payday and the minimum wage grubs have both been paid within the last 4 days. Most teachers in Texas get paid between the 15th and 20th. I don't know how all jobs get paid but it's either weekly, bi weekly, or monthly from what I've always understood. The self-employed bitcoin millionaires get paid whenever they sell off. So why is this sale doing so poorly? Answer : the steam in the engine is running out.

http://imperialnews.network/2015/07/crusader-industries-genesis-starliner-concept-sale-analysis/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit?usp=sharing

Sale currently looking like around 1 million, but I expect it to pick up as they won't be happy with that and will do something.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Whatever became of the security forces that are supposed to spawn and attack you if you attack people on the landing zones? Is it ~~IMMERSIVE~~ or is it just sudden death?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Not everyone's had a payday recently, I'm smack dab inbetween mine (not that I want to buy a $300 ticket to the shitshow anyway lol) but I am surprised to see this sale doing so poorly, especially because there's ALSO a sale going on every currently flyable ship. Theoretically if there were more room in the market, you'd see people finally grabbing that M50 or whatever that they've always wanted.

Oh that's got avatar written all over it. I still need to "pay-it-forward" for my fantastic Gary av that someone got me.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIos0ya-yss

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Reliant
2 hours: $57,310
4 hours: $101,282
8 hours: $176,262

It's tanking below even the Reliant figures, that fall off is brutal.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Money's reaction to the airquotes is both priceless and telling.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

e: I am not very good at gifs

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

You're an idiot. Therefore blocked.

Mission accomplished.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I've seen toddlers waving styrofoam around that managed to produce more believable ship movements.

Jesus loving Christ. :psypop:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tippis posted:

I've seen toddlers waving styrofoam around that managed to produce more believable ship movements.

Now imagine the starfarer doing physics like that

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Ah see, you're close but you didn't quite get it. It's true the Vanduul are loosely based on a group of "real-world" pillagers who savaged civilization, but you're thinking too early in human history. In reality the name comes from these guys:

Who perfected the art of separating bored losers from their money in 2009. The FanDuel race served as inspiration not just for the in-game Vanduul, but also for Cloud Imperium Games themselves.

It's true, I really don't understand games development.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Realistically modelled vector thrusters my rear end.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

G0RF posted:

Ouch.

Lol, remember the massive list of poo poo they expected for 2.2 and they got essentially none of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Now imagine the starfarer doing physics like that

If they ever do manage to fart that thing into the PU the jank is going to be loving biblical

• Locked thread