Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Wasn't it kinemon's bottom half fart talking, not the dragon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it was. they wanted to eat it way before they knew that tho, kinda like when luffy and sanji wanted to cook chopper when they first met

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am completely down with Davy Back 2: Vinsmoke Boogaloo.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

When's Gin coming back

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
I can't wait for Zoro to take out the head hancho of Wano in 5 years.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
If it makes you feel better, literally every animal chopper talks to seems to have near human intelligence, and Sea Kings definitely do, and the crew eat those all the time!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

When's Gin coming back

Conscripted into Big Mom Pirates by marriage.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gin is actually the daughter of Big Mom that Sanji is engaged to; he was turned male by Ivankov and then fled to East Blue to join Don Kreig's crew.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

https://youtu.be/jBQXsd9Mfpc?t=1m4s

A thousand One Piece videogame fans cry out "But why is she dressed like that though?"

I figured it out right after pasting the link that there advertising Koala's swimsuit costume right out the gate

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the davy back fight owns and was needed before the massive run that was water 7 through to the whitebeard war and i don't know why so many people hate it. Skypiea is one of my favourite arcs though because its mostly about adventure rather than just battles

i like when the crew get dragged into luffy's crazy ideas. law and kidd hanging around to see what insane thing he was going to do is one of the best bits of the series imo

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Something lighthearted we needed, but it didn't have to be the Davy Back fight. Despite there being a bunch of other silly things in the world of One Piece that I like, the Davy Back fight never did anything for me. It doesn't even feel like part of the world, since it has never been referenced before or since.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
So I guess the set up will be Zoro vs. the shogun of Wano? Because I'm down to see that. Hopefully he gets some kind of power up during that arc, not that it seems like he needs it yet. I think the story is done giving him new swords now.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

AshB posted:

So I guess the set up will be Zoro vs. the shogun of Wano? Because I'm down to see that. Hopefully he gets some kind of power up during that arc, not that it seems like he needs it yet. I think the story is done giving him new swords now.

He'll learn to cut fire! And maybe some other elements too, who knows?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Obligatory ReasonDavyBackWasBad.jpeg

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wasn't that like a really bad mistranslation because One Piece has always had lovely scans?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pretty sure, yeah. Doesn't make it any less funny though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I actually think the Davy Back arc was mostly OK. I think the Luffy vs. Foxy fight suffered from the common problem where it's not really clear in advance how much damage we're supposed to believe the protagonist is capable of taking, but other than that it was good. The lighter tone and faster pace were necessary after the dragged-out Enel fight, and it was neat seeing the characters use their skills in unusual contexts. Plus it introduced Aokiji.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the foxy pirates were the least interesting part of what happens on that island, but the davy back fight was a neat idea and it was fairly fun. I didn't like it at all when I first read one piece, but having reread the whole thing from the beginning recently has made me appreciate it a little more

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Waffleman_ posted:

Wasn't that like a really bad mistranslation because One Piece has always had lovely scans?

i'm preeeeety sure they translated "afro" as "black"

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Skypiea and the Davy Back Fight were so much better on my second read-through. Skypiea is the first big adventure for the core crew post-Alabasta, and the DBF is much needed levity between Enel and Water 7.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
This movie looks fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_shEgcWHC2U

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Is that Heracles at 0:21?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Hell yes it does

But..Akineru was in the trailer...could he have a connection with the villain? Possible family!?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I didn't like the Davy Back Fight or Skypeia much on my first read through but going back Skypeia is really good and the Davy Back Fight is fantastic.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I'm glad I watched this with no sound at work. It made it look like everyone was having fun and it was making Akainu eye twitchingly mad that they were having a good time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CG lookin' pretty primitive, though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Does the villain's face looks like Duval's post Sanji foot-surgery or is just me?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

???

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Ok, point taken.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Angry Lobster posted:

Does the villain's face looks like Duval's post Sanji foot-surgery or is just me?

Somewhere between Duval and Fullbody for me.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Getting some real Movie 6 flashbacks there.

Movie 6 was good though so that's okay.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
A large part of movie 6's appeal is the creepy-rear end villain, though. I don't think this guy has the same chops.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

True. Hoping that with an Admiral in the trailer this one might tie in with the world canon - I like grandiose villains and though the baron was well written that movie didn't really give us anything new to think about.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Andarel posted:

Getting some real Movie 6 flashbacks there.

Movie 6 was good though so that's okay.

The director of this one was the assistant director on movie 6 interestingly enough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Isn't Gold supposed to touch on the history of Roger or was that just early marketing stuff?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It looks like he's probably a Logia user with something like the Gold Gold fruit or something?

Maybe a Parmecia

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

I dont remember...but didnt manga duval have the exact same eyebrows as sanji? did they just gently caress up for the anime or am I remembering wrong?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

AkumaHokoru posted:

I dont remember...but didnt manga duval have the exact same eyebrows as sanji? did they just gently caress up for the anime or am I remembering wrong?

You're remembering wrong.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't Gold supposed to touch on the history of Roger or was that just early marketing stuff?

I think that was just fan speculation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Begemot posted:

You're remembering wrong.

it was sanji's poster looking like duval then.