Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
More GoT previews. Loyal Stark plot and new Wildling character. Both are awesome. Looking like Baratheon is the only house to get a poo poo loyal plot this cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The Bara one is not good but I think it's playable. It hurts fealty if nothing else and Targ and Greyjoy fealty are a big part of the meta currently.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A friend just told me FFG bought L5R and is making it into a LCS. I'm beyond excited for this.

I remember there being eight? clans, so I'm wondering if they're going to keep that or trim it down to maybe like the four most popular.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They've done well with high faction counts in every other game, so I don't see them cutting it here. I never played L5R though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

A friend just told me FFG bought L5R and is making it into a LCS. I'm beyond excited for this.

I remember there being eight? clans, so I'm wondering if they're going to keep that or trim it down to maybe like the four most popular.

There's been scant little detail released so far, especially since the game isn't slated to come out until 2017, but Game of Thrones and Conquest have 8 and 9 factions, respectively, so it's not like that matters much. A slower meta may even be pretty okay for the longevity of the game.

Here's the announcement article: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/a-new-emperor-rises/

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah they have tried two ways: A core set with four playable factions and two teasers that get filled out later, and putting all factions into the core and just accepting that multiple cores are necessary to actually play the game. GoT seems popular so I assume they'll do the latter for L5R.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah they have tried two ways: A core set with four playable factions and two teasers that get filled out later, and putting all factions into the core and just accepting that multiple cores are necessary to actually play the game. GoT seems popular so I assume they'll do the latter for L5R.

I'd totally buy 3 core sets. I always loved L5R but I was too young to really get it back in the day and by the time I was I just haven't lived anywhere with a playerbase. Thankfully my current store eats up FFG products so I should be able to get 5-6 people to play this with me without much effort.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'd totally buy 3 core sets. I always loved L5R but I was too young to really get it back in the day and by the time I was I just haven't lived anywhere with a playerbase. Thankfully my current store eats up FFG products so I should be able to get 5-6 people to play this with me without much effort.

Yeah I am in favor of the GoT model over the Netrunner model (in which you still bought 3 cores but felt shittier about it because the 3rd one was only for like 7 cards), or the Star Wars model (in which you only buy two cores but some factions aren't playable until they get a big box six months later)

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah I am in favor of the GoT model over the Netrunner model (in which you still bought 3 cores but felt shittier about it because the 3rd one was only for like 7 cards), or the Star Wars model (in which you only buy two cores but some factions aren't playable until they get a big box six months later)

I ended up lucking out and got two extra core sets from someone who was quitting right around when I was starting for Netrunner. I didn't enjoy Star Wars that much even though the art was awesome.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
9 Clans,

but there really should be 10

Bring back the Ratings!

No, please don't.

I'd curious to see how much faction mixing there is in the new L5R. It hit me tonight talking to a friend that outside of Netrunner most of their LCGs tend to have decks that are typically sharing a lot of cards between factions. That's also a big reason for the inclusion of so many cards in the core set, since you can share them between factions.

L5R has never really been about mixing factions as the game heavily penalized you for playing out of faction characters to the extent that even Neutrals(Ronin) didn't see much play unless they were really really good. While that made for cool pieces of fiction when the cards a World Champion used to win came from outside the faction he played, I doubt that aspect of the game is going to be carried over to the new game at all so I'm expecting more sharing of personalities between clans, which is probably a good thing because it's better to have more options than fewer with a more limited card base.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

9 Clans,

Bring back the Ratings!

No, please don't.

I'd curious to see how much faction mixing there is in the new L5R. It hit me tonight talking to a friend that outside of Netrunner most of their LCGs tend to have decks that are typically sharing a lot of cards between factions. That's also a big reason for the inclusion of so many cards in the core set, since you can share them between factions.

L5R has never really been about mixing factions as the game heavily penalized you for playing out of faction characters to the extent that even Neutrals(Ronin) didn't see much play unless they were really really good. While that made for cool pieces of fiction when the cards a World Champion used to win came from outside the faction he played, I doubt that aspect of the game is going to be carried over to the new game at all so I'm expecting more sharing of personalities between clans, which is probably a good thing because it's better to have more options than fewer with a more limited card base.

Personally I think that the Clan identity is super important. I'd rather the first 3 months or so have limited options to maintain the feel.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Personally I think that the Clan identity is super important. I'd rather the first 3 months or so have limited options to maintain the feel.

Definitely better for the feel of the game for sure, but from a deck building standpoint it would be pretty limiting. I even kind of preferred when Scorpion were the only ones who could dishonor, or Dragon where the only ones who could enlighten consistently, but honestly for the sake of the game that was a change that was better by giving each faction at least 2 options for victory. I'm actually curious if they'll even go that route as balancing around so many different victory conditions will be a pain in the rear end let alone just trying to make Honor/Dishonor not be a complete slog.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
New Conquest spoilers:

Looks like another exciting pack! This cycle has really managed to have a ton of interesting new cards.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Fetterkey posted:

New Conquest spoilers:

Looks like another exciting pack! This cycle has really managed to have a ton of interesting new cards.

There was a big thing about "Declare the Crusade", and the clarification came out that neither thing can affect victory pile cards. So this lets you swap an in-play planet for one of the 3 not chosen (or any not won when they were the first planet)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

9 Clans,

Bring back the Ratings!

No, please don't.

Actually throughout the game there's been more than 10 playable factions. On top of the rats, you've also had ninja, spirit, toturi's army (best faction)/wolf, monk, naga and I think that's it (assuming you consider shadowlands to be spider). Toturi's army and naga even had multiple boxes iirc. That's of course not counting the ridiculous draft strongholds.

But I could see them bringing back senseis in the form of GoT agendas-so like Yoritomo sensei let you use mantis dudes with your house discount or -1g, Hida sensei for using crab dudes, etc. If they follow the old game they could even have factions excluded (so no bayushi sensei crane or w/e). It would allow for a bit more diversity (which is really necessary in the LCG model since you're splitting your initial card pool among a bunch of different factions) while still having clans be largely different.

I'm actually really interested to see how it will do overall though, since from my understanding AEG kinda soured a lot of players on the license in general. Although Netrunner's done gangbusters so idk. It just seems there's a lot of playstyle and feel similarity with GoT.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

alansmithee posted:

I'm actually really interested to see how it will do overall though, since from my understanding AEG kinda soured a lot of players on the license in general. Although Netrunner's done gangbusters so idk. It just seems there's a lot of playstyle and feel similarity with GoT.

Everyone I've talked to has been incredibly hyped for it and is planning to pick it up. To the point where I've never played it, but the amount of support it has from the fanbase around Atlanta means I'll pick it up.

A lot of them are playing GoT now, and planning to drop that when L5R comes out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

EVGA Longoria posted:

There was a big thing about "Declare the Crusade", and the clarification came out that neither thing can affect victory pile cards. So this lets you swap an in-play planet for one of the 3 not chosen (or any not won when they were the first planet)

Are you supposed to be able to see the out-of-game planets at any time?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

StashAugustine posted:

Are you supposed to be able to see the out-of-game planets at any time?

That's what no one is clear about now. Gonna need an FAQ to clarify, is where things stand. Nothing says either way definitively.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Everyone I've talked to has been incredibly hyped for it and is planning to pick it up. To the point where I've never played it, but the amount of support it has from the fanbase around Atlanta means I'll pick it up.

A lot of them are playing GoT now, and planning to drop that when L5R comes out.

Yeah, I expect both Thrones and Conquest (probably Netrunner too) to take big hits when L5R comes out. That game seems to have a ton of hype and loyalty built up already.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Master Warpsmith: So you play a daemon, reduce its cost by X cultists getting sacrificed and the next elite you play gets that same reduction.... kinda wish this had been a low cost support or something, cost reducer costing 4 makes it kinda iffy to me, but I could be wrong on my head math here.

That Dreadnought is loving insane though.More so when Backlash hits and you cant just hand-wave it.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chances are I'll be playing L5R as well. And it definitely had a pretty big fanbase-I think for a long time it was the #2 tcg behind Magic, and the regional tourneys would get 100+ people at times. And the core game IS really good. There's multiple victory conditions, lots of interaction built in the system, and typically there's always been varying ways to go about deckbuilding. The thing is though a lot of that was the setting, backstory, etc and people were seriously invested in the universe. I'm not sure how FFG is gonna wanna handle that aspect-they obviously can't do much with SW, 40K, or Got's respective stories but how have they treated Netrunner's storyline?

The other thing I'm wondering is how they'll go about adding 100s of tokens into the game, because if I've learned anything, it's that FFG loves printing tokens.

MisterShine posted:

That Dreadnought is loving insane though.More so when Backlash hits and you cant just hand-wave it.
I'm just getting back into Conquest, but do high cost units like that really get played much? Outside of Chaos cheating in some pricey dudes? 7 is a ton of resources.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

alansmithee posted:

I'm just getting back into Conquest, but do high cost units like that really get played much? Outside of Chaos cheating in some pricey dudes? 7 is a ton of resources.

High cost units have started becoming much more relevant than they were in the core set and Warlord cycle - part of that is better high cost units being printed and part of it is better support for those units, but the combined impact is substantial.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah its not likely to see a ton of play, but a combo of Declare The Crusade to pull Y'Varn to drop it out for free is feasible. Or see it as an investment if you can swat it to get 3 resource back on Tarrus.

Its certainly something you cant just plop into any SM deck, but getting a free Battle ability mid fight is really good.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I like that Auxilary Overseer is loyal.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
A couple new Game of Thrones spoilers cropped up today via Team Covenant, both from the next chapter pack. The Night's Watch event seems like it has potential to really catapult defensive Wall strategies into being much more competitive.

https://teamcovenant.com/game-of-thrones-lcg/fire-and-ice-no-middle-ground-preview

Also random aside- there was a Night's Watch Fealty deck that went 9-0 to win a Store Championship this last week. List was posted on the AGOT 2nd Edition Facebook group. Finally, the house I was most excited about playing when the game was announced, is growing some legs. :black101:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alansmithee posted:

Chances are I'll be playing L5R as well. And it definitely had a pretty big fanbase-I think for a long time it was the #2 tcg behind Magic, and the regional tourneys would get 100+ people at times. And the core game IS really good. There's multiple victory conditions, lots of interaction built in the system, and typically there's always been varying ways to go about deckbuilding. The thing is though a lot of that was the setting, backstory, etc and people were seriously invested in the universe. I'm not sure how FFG is gonna wanna handle that aspect-they obviously can't do much with SW, 40K, or Got's respective stories but how have they treated Netrunner's storyline?

There was already a couple books out about the Android universe prior to Netrunner coming out and there's been more since, our store just put in an order for a bunch of copies of Worlds of Netrunner which I guess is a setting and art book. They don't really do fiction on the website which is something AEG does/did biweekly it felt like. All the AEG website promos for upcoming Doomtown stuff is fiction that involves the card being spoiled as an example of how they did it. I could see FFG putting out something similar to Worlds of Android as a hype product for L5R and would actually be really good to help invest people in the theme and story before the game comes along.

I think also one of the big things with L5R was that the RPG setting and books/system played as much of a role in defining the world as the CCG so that helped a lot. And there was a bit of LARPs that went on throughout the year where people would show up and play as a character, so the whole experience was one pretty unique package and I think that element will probably be lost. I'm certainly sad to see the storyline prizes go out the door as that was something I found really interesting. Getting to influence design decisions to some extent beyond "World Champ" makes a card is cool and the yearly events where stuff like mass donations of gifts, faction turnout, costume contest victories; all played a part was a really cool thing and that those elements will almost certainly be lost is a testament to AEG's ridiculously entrenched workers and their die-hard devoted players.

I give AEG/L5R poo poo for being a refugee camp for survivors of Magic oppression but it's all those cool events that sprung up out of a way to get people interested in the game beyond just winning the tournaments. As an ex/eternal Magic guy I was always more interested in L5R as a CCG but I thought it was cool going to tournaments and seeing people who were just playing because their clan needed support, or they wanted to try and cash in a bounty on a certain clan. The other nice/weird side of that was that I never got poo poo for what janky deck I was playing or being told "X isn't competitive because blah blah blah"(I'm usually that rear end in a top hat) but instead would get stares of hatred for which Clan I chose. It would be like going to a GoT tournament and having the dude across from you glare at you for playing Lannister, then bring out a Stark deck and swear vengence on you for the death of Ned Stark. Those people were literally crazy but they made the game a better place to be honest.

Having players online who were super loyal to each clan led to crazy online situations too where people would be cross posting and coming up with alliances and supporting one another based on fiction and giving up prizes to help support clans their clan was friendly with.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
That Nights Watch event is insane.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I played the poo poo out of L5R when I could. In my area there was very rarely a player to play with but when I could it was fun. Making me wish I didn't sell all my cards. Can't wait for the LCG though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
That Nights Watch event gets even better for Melee because the challenge doesn't even have to be against you. It can really gently caress up someone's day if they're launching an all out attack on someone trying to get them beaten down.

I already like my Nights Watch/Baratheon Melee deck I made but the new cards will make it even more of a threat.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

I wrote another Conquest article following my Store Championship victory with Ba'ar Zul the Hate-Bound - check it out!

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Fetterkey posted:

I wrote another Conquest article following my Store Championship victory with Ba'ar Zul the Hate-Bound - check it out!

I've been meaning to try this guy out. This has pushed me over the edge. Thanks for the write-up!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Martell/Targaryen spoilers for Wolves of the North

His Viper Eyes!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That is a sick card. I'm loving Martell/Crossing and those new cards will only make it better. That 6 drop will be killer too, as I don't run Red Viper in mine.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
House florent looks too expensive for what he is. And that's a shame because I'm a sucker for Martell Knights.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bottom Liner posted:

That is a sick card. I'm loving Martell/Crossing and those new cards will only make it better. That 6 drop will be killer too, as I don't run Red Viper in mine.

How does Martell Crossing actually WIN without Viper? Mine is basically "durdle around until you can burst out a win with Viper/Doran's Game"

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Its like Targ without Dany?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

JoshTheStampede posted:

How does Martell Crossing actually WIN without Viper? Mine is basically "durdle around until you can burst out a win with Viper/Doran's Game"

The Boneway

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

I forgot about that, but I do run it. Is it enough to win on its own though, even with Dorans Game? 3 power every two turns or so doesn't seem like enough. It could be three power a turn if you lose all three of your challenges AND all three of the opponents, but many opponents will skip a challenge to deny you that and then you are suffering the effects of all those fails too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm generally gaining 3-4 power every turn thanks to icon removal for unopposed and crossing boosted power challenges. The Boneway and Doran's are just way's to seal the deal in the end. Also, The Long Plan into Counting Coppers + In Doran's Name is an incredible late game combo. Tons of gold and card draw to seal the deal or rebuild if I face a board wipe or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Had some good results with Morn and Gorzod today. Taurox APC and Outflank 'Em have been big buffs for Gorzod (he now has a more reliable combat trick and a really good extra one-drop), while Morn has benefited a lot from the two new Kabalite units. I think Morn is actually going to eclipse Kith as the best Dark Eldar warlord by the end of this cycle - she just has so many tricks at her disposal!