Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Friendly reminder for you :yotj:ers out there: Keep your Monster/Dice/LinkedIn profiles up-to-date (or at least tweak them frequently).

For the last year I haven't gotten a single call. I'm not looking, mind you, but I got a call yesterday from a recruiter who asked how I was enjoying my current employer - a place I resigned from five years ago.

I updated my profiles last night for ha-has.

Today: I get calls from 6 recruiters. Back-to-back. 5 different recruiting firms.

Holy freaking moly. I just had to log in to re-tick "I'm not looking".

Helmut, do recently updated profiles get bumped to the top of the pile in recruiter-view?

Yes, they do. I get a report every morning that says who posted/changed their resume on Dice/CB/etc. Any recruiter that's any good is proactively looking for those candidates as opposed to just doing reactive searches for skill sets.

Which is not to say that any recruiter that calls you is good or more on top of their game. The first to call is not always necessarily going to give you the best competitive advantage. As always, figure out who is going to best represent you, hopefully by meeting with them and learning more about them and their company/clients/culture and how it aligns with your needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dark Helmut posted:

Yes, they do. I get a report every morning that says who posted/changed their resume on Dice/CB/etc. Any recruiter that's any good is proactively looking for those candidates as opposed to just doing reactive searches for skill sets.

Does the same thing happen for those who don't notify their network of changes? (Just curious, I'm definitely not looking)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Doing a Windows 10 kiosk machine for the first time and I'm quickly noticing how much easier this would be if I could utilize Assigned Access, but we're running LTSB here, which means no Store apps. This is definitely not me complaining about using Windows 10 LTSB, just an observation.

Now I get to learn Shell Launcher instead! I could reformat and do install "regular" Windows 10, but this looks more interesting.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I really like major corporations that have web portals you can only access with ie10+, and then has a page within that is not compatible with anything but ie6 and ie7. :waycool:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Doing a Windows 10 kiosk machine for the first time and I'm quickly noticing how much easier this would be if I could utilize Assigned Access, but we're running LTSB here, which means no Store apps. This is definitely not me complaining about using Windows 10 LTSB, just an observation.

Now I get to learn Shell Launcher instead! I could reformat and do install "regular" Windows 10, but this looks more interesting.

Windows 10 gutted Assigned Access; it can no longer use a browser application like it could in 8.1. I have no idea why they did this.

Then again, this was months ago that I tried this. Maybe things have changed?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Edit: don't post at 4am

Swink fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 18, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Lol uhh I guess you got the wrong idea. I was cheersing about not doing anything at my desk. Just got home from taking the kids to jiu jitsu.

I'm in the same situation as you man :cheers:

Yeah sorry I was having kind of a poo poo day yesterday and ended up making a poo poo post too. No worries :cheers:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Super Slash posted:

Granted we go through a provider rather than Xerox direct, but we ran out of staple cartridges even though we have monitor stuff to auto order supplies.

"Yo our printer we needs staples"
"Which ones do you need"
"Whichever ones our [model] uses? We don't have a box or code to reference"
"We don't know, and the monitor software doesn't track it, let me send you some"
*Delivery arrives*
"Yo these are the wrong staples, here's a picture of an empty cartridge to help"
"Just bin the delivery and we'll send you another"

Also for some reason they keep sending us toner, there's a stack a meter high of bundled black toner cartridge boxes.

Xerox said they can bill us using account codes when we signed the contract.
Like specifically told us they can bill us PER USER if they use account codes.

Come to find out, they "can't see the account codes because they're internal to each machine and therefore can't bill us by internal account codes."

Well how the gently caress am I supposed to bill the right departments for overages?

We're sitting on about 6 months of unpaid bills right now because we have literally no idea how the gently caress to divide these up between department's cost centers. They just sent us a single piece of paper with one number for the total cost of all 15 of our copiers, and their overages.

This is their invoice"

quote:

XEROX BILLING INVOICE

Copiers...............$umpteenthousand

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Docjowles posted:

Yeah sorry I was having kind of a poo poo day yesterday and ended up making a poo poo post too. No worries :cheers:

Lol happens to the best of us

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Xerox said they can bill us using account codes when we signed the contract.
Like specifically told us they can bill us PER USER if they use account codes.

Come to find out, they "can't see the account codes because they're internal to each machine and therefore can't bill us by internal account codes."

We're sitting on about 6 months of unpaid bills right now because we have literally no idea how the gently caress to divide these up between department's cost centers. They just sent us a single piece of paper with one number for the total cost of all 15 of our copiers, and their overages.

Find where it's written they said they can do this, tell them the bill will be paid when a correctly itemized one is submitted. Call epson (or whoever) in the mean time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

H110Hawk posted:

Find where it's written they said they can do this, tell them the bill will be paid when a correctly itemized one is submitted. Call epson (or whoever) in the mean time.

There is no information about billing in the contract whatsoever.
In fact, there's really not much specific information about anything in this contract at all beyond "per VITA the printers will be delivered within 30 days of contract being signed." It still took them 3 months to deliver the copiers.

I've been talking directly to them for about 5 months now trying to get this sorted out.
I think I've met with more different people at Xerox, than even work in my building.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Kashuno posted:

I really like major corporations that have web portals you can only access with ie10+, and then has a page within that is not compatible with anything but ie6 and ie7. :waycool:

probably plain old HTTP by default too huh?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There is no information about billing in the contract whatsoever.
In fact, there's really not much specific information about anything in this contract at all beyond "per VITA the printers will be delivered within 30 days of contract being signed." It still took them 3 months to deliver the copiers.

I've been talking directly to them for about 5 months now trying to get this sorted out.
I think I've met with more different people at Xerox, than even work in my building.

Take two lessons from this:

1) Careful when dealing with "behemoths" like Xerox, AT&T, Microsoft, etc. They do not care about your company, they do not care about making you happy, they do not care about losing you. The only care that their gears of bureaucracy continue to grind, ever slowly. Consider doing business with smaller companys that care about their customers.

2) Always get expectations regarding projects or contracts in writing. "This is what we expect, here is the scope of what we need to get this deal done." And leave nothing out. It won't avoid problems like this, but at least you can say you tried.

For what it's worth I have fought with Xerox for years over billing issues. They never actually got it right. It went to collections and I told them to go gently caress themselves.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Use PaperCut for your internal accounting needs, that way you can keep the same (good) software regardless of printer vendor you use.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

I told them to go gently caress themselves.

Thanks Ants posted:

Use PaperCut for your internal accounting needs, that way you can keep the same (good) software regardless of printer vendor you use.

I love both of you.

An Email came in:

boss posted:

gnarlycharlie4u,

We do need to work on your time in the respect that you do need to take more of your lunches and look to work your hours more regularly to limit working late.

We definitely do not want the team to have the sense that anyone is not taking lunches or working late just to make up time or bank comp time. We do need to figure out a way that your workload is better distributed throughout the day so you do not feel compelled or the need to miss lunch or work late, but at the same time things do happen that may cause it as well. It’s a balance, but we definitely need to prioritize the work better to minimize the frequency.

Thanks

Not sure what he means by distributing my workload throughout the day.
It's not like I jerk off all day and only work late and during lunch.

If you don't want me to miss lunch or work late, then don't pressure me to do poo poo during lunch or at the end of the day. It's as simple as that :confused:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That sounds like a CYA email.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

That sounds like a CYA email.

Agreed. Start a work journal. Time and dates <= 1 line of what you're doing and at whose request. Or aggressively ticket things with the same information. Include "Stopping for lunch" etc.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
It sounds like a reasonable request. There's this culture of celebrating working late / skipping lunches that needs to go away.

If you can't do all the work that is presented to you in an 8 hour work day, there is a problem. I agree that documenting your workload, if it's not documented already, is a good idea. It's possible he doesn't understand the workload you're presented with.

For us, if we skip lunch, we leave early. If we handle a 3am outage, we come in late. It should not be expected, or normal to do those things.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Anybody here work with Cisco or HP 'hyperconverged' environments? Our vendor still can't figure out a way to get us out of our poo poo HP blade chassis and is now throwing this out as the end-all be-all solution. From what I can tell it's a mini chassis containing compute blades with 1 rack server containing compute, management, and storage, which doesn't seem all that spectacular.

It also requires us to dump our 1 year old Nimble so obviously we're all pissed that this is our vendor's best solution.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 18, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Hyper-convergence (hyperconvergence) is a type of infrastructure system with a software-centric architecture that tightly integrates compute, storage, networking and virtualization resources and other technologies from scratch in a commodity hardware box supported by a single vendor.

:asoiaf:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

An Email came in:

Not sure what he means by distributing my workload throughout the day.
It's not like I jerk off all day and only work late and during lunch.

If you don't want me to miss lunch or work late, then don't pressure me to do poo poo during lunch or at the end of the day. It's as simple as that :confused:

They realise that you are being tasked with too much stuff by too many people, but actually dealing with it is hard. This email is to show that they tried but you just wouldn't stop working those long hours!

I have three people giving me work at the moment, everyone things that I should interrupt what I am currently doing to address them, everything is 'really important' but not important enough that they want to take the step that worked for the previous 14 months and book my time through my line manager.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is touchdown the thing that will allow you to connect your phone to Exchange without granting remote wipe capability, or am I thinking of something else?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

stubblyhead posted:

Is touchdown the thing that will allow you to connect your phone to Exchange without granting remote wipe capability, or am I thinking of something else?

Touchdown and Nine will both do that. Having used both, I would recommend Nine, it's much prettier.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

It sounds like a reasonable request. There's this culture of celebrating working late / skipping lunches that needs to go away.

If you can't do all the work that is presented to you in an 8 hour work day, there is a problem. I agree that documenting your workload, if it's not documented already, is a good idea. It's possible he doesn't understand the workload you're presented with.

For us, if we skip lunch, we leave early. If we handle a 3am outage, we come in late. It should not be expected, or normal to do those things.

Good or bad it's only a nice thing to have a work journal. If it's good, then you just gave your boss a log of why they are understaffed so they can go higher up to hire more people. If it's bad, you've got some great CYA. Win-win.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Inspector_666 posted:

Touchdown and Nine will both do that. Having used both, I would recommend Nine, it's much prettier.
Seconding Nine, just disable their stupid "Sent from NINE" auto-signature.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Inspector_666 posted:

Another recommendation for Nine. It's a bit pricey for an app ($10usd iirc), but the support is great. They even fix bugs introduced in pre-release versions of Android within a day or two.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Friendly reminder for you :yotj:ers out there: Keep your Monster/Dice/LinkedIn profiles up-to-date (or at least tweak them frequently).

For the last year I haven't gotten a single call. I'm not looking, mind you, but I got a call yesterday from a recruiter who asked how I was enjoying my current employer - a place I resigned from five years ago.

I updated my profiles last night for ha-has.

Today: I get calls from 6 recruiters. Back-to-back. 5 different recruiting firms.

Holy freaking moly. I just had to log in to re-tick "I'm not looking".

Helmut, do recently updated profiles get bumped to the top of the pile in recruiter-view?

A recruiter for a major video game firm reached out to me about a job that pays 30k more and actually has room to grow :yotj:

The only thing that concerns me is the fact the role is specifically for executive support. The recruiter said that like half the time I'll be doing desktop/network stuff since the execs don't need constant care, but I'm worried that getting that much face time with C-suite is hazardous to my contiuned employment. I deal with C-suite and VPs at my current gig and never had a problem, but that's only because I could deliver and they aren't quite as big time as these guys will be. If I get a tough ticket and can't make good, who knows what'll happen.

Anybody in an executive support role have experiences they want to share? Insights on how the job would work?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

skooma512 posted:

A recruiter for a major video game firm reached out to me about a job that pays 30k more and actually has room to grow :yotj:

The only thing that concerns me is the fact the role is specifically for executive support. The recruiter said that like half the time I'll be doing desktop/network stuff since the execs don't need constant care, but I'm worried that getting that much face time with C-suite is hazardous to my contiuned employment. I deal with C-suite and VPs at my current gig and never had a problem, but that's only because I could deliver and they aren't quite as big time as these guys will be. If I get a tough ticket and can't make good, who knows what'll happen.

Anybody in an executive support role have experiences they want to share? Insights on how the job would work?

I remember some one here was exactly that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533210#post412428871

and

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857&pagenumber=205&perpage=40#post444707295

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 18, 2016

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
You'll probably get a lot of responses like "they are demanding and 24/7 and terrible" but like all things, it depends on the people. I support 20+ staff who I class as "executive" and some of them are demanding as poo poo, some of them are super chill and would never pull rank.

Interview with them, meet them, ask them what their expectations are. It's the only way you'll get an even moderately accurate idea.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Inspector_666 posted:

Touchdown is owned by Symantec now. Nothing else really needs to be said.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Hungry Computer posted:

Another recommendation for Nine. It's a bit pricey for an app ($10usd iirc), but the support is great. They even fix bugs introduced in pre-release versions of Android within a day or two.

touchdown is actually twice as much! The details for Nine said it's currently 50% off for only $9.99 or whatever, but I had a feeling it was one of those permanent sales.

skooma512 posted:

the execs don't need constant care

:laffo:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

They realise that you are being tasked with too much stuff by too many people, but actually dealing with it is hard. This email is to show that they tried but you just wouldn't stop working those long hours!

I have three people giving me work at the moment, everyone things that I should interrupt what I am currently doing to address them, everything is 'really important' but not important enough that they want to take the step that worked for the previous 14 months and book my time through my line manager.

Makes sense. That's pretty much half the reason why the last guy quit.
That and he got tossed under the bus pretty hard, and chastised for trying to do things the right way.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The nightmare that was DAF has ended. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768480&perpage=40&pagenumber=98#post457541051

We are free

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

:bravo:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

He's probated and bought back in :lol:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tab8715 posted:

He's got those sweet virtualization dollars.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Who was it that had the DOLLERS custom title for awhile?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

anime forum sure is sensitive but lol good riddance

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

Permabanned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Executive Computer Janitor for 5+ years for major (Fortune 50/250) companies) - You rang?

1st thing - How big a company are we talking?
2nd thing - How many people would you be supporting?
3rd thing - How big of a team would you be joining?

This job can be an amazing mix of exceedingly easy/boring, utterly terrifying, absurdly lucrative given the workload, a niche you can get stuck in, an amazing effective way to climb the ladder, and will give you chances to have experiences you'd never have (when the pilot asks if you want to fly in the jump seat tell them yes).

Altimeter fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 19, 2016