Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Vikar Jerome posted:

absolution? there's been tons of doom64 tc around for what feels like forever. (i think, at least, all i can think of now is absolution and one i had installed in doomsday or whatever the gently caress that thing was) ex is best of them i've played though. i like the reload animation on the shotgun, finally.

I thought Absolution ran on the Doomsday engine? EX is pretty drat great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RyokoTK posted:

Among the Bioshock games, the only one I think I'd call "great" is 2. I do like the first two-thirds of 1, though, and it did a lot of the heavy lifting w/r/t the setting to help make 2 more streamlined, so it gets a pass in my book. It's a little more slow-paced and RPGish than 2, but that's fine. Everything after the twist is terrible, though.

I feel like a lot of people say they don't like Bioshock because they like to sound contrarian or dumb or whatever, but I really didn't like Bioshock. And I really wanted to, even after acknowledging that it wouldn't be a very great successor to the System Shock series.

I felt like the environment was spectacular (and the story certainty had some cool parts), but the dearth of enemy variety and limited weapon selection left the gameplay fairly anemic. I also felt like the much-touted "moral dilemma" of killing or sparing those little freak-girls was shallow and contrived.

I am really excited about the renewed interest in System Shock, however. Those two games are easily in my top 20, and I still make periodic revisits to SS2.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I will give Bioshock one thing, after listening to the Portal 2 commentary. The Spider Splicers were good at making the player look up.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Bioshock 1 plays kinda badly, and Infinite didn't really help the worst parts and hurt it in other ways. The idea of restricting me to two weapons and still wanting me to spend limited resources on upgrading and feeding them is dumb as poo poo.

The plot for both is bad and saying "well you didn't pay enough attention" doesn't save the central plot thread of Infinite from being dumb as poo poo and handled really badly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the problem with infinite is that i paid enough attention to the story to very well know that it's horrible and that ken levine is a hack

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/ works for Doom in VR but dunno about what you'd have to do to configure it for Gear, its meant more for Rift, but you could probably configure it to work?

Doom is really awkward in VR though because everything is sprites. Making it VR makes that even more obvious than playing with high resolution and texture filtering. Its not comfortable IMO.

Quake on the other hand is perfect for VR being entirely made of 3D polygons, and fairly simple ones at that.

It would be neat to see Doom/Quake as a on-rails shooter that was compatible with Google Cardboard.

Hey, Google: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.drbeef.dvr&hl=en

ytisomauq fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 19, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Elliotw2 posted:

Bioshock 1 plays kinda badly, and Infinite didn't really help the worst parts and hurt it in other ways. The idea of restricting me to two weapons and still wanting me to spend limited resources on upgrading and feeding them is dumb as poo poo.

The weapon system in Infinite was terrible and baffling. There are way too many weapons in the game and a lot of them don't have very good differentiation (i.e., the burst rifle is basically a shittier machine gun), but they all get upgraded separately and in many areas the weapons you might have sunk a ton of money into may not show up at all so you have to make do with a lousy ersatz you haven't been able to upgrade at all. This gets compounded by the two weapon limit since it severely restricts your options. Its so clunky, you can potentially sink massive amounts of money into making your favorite gun mega powerful, but half the time its arbitrarily denied to you by the combo of weapon restrictions and the level design, so its better to just ignore weapon upgrades completely and instead plough all your resources into vigors that you can switch between anytime, this also extends into prioritizing mana upgrades over health or shields . When I realized that even 1999 mode becomes a cakewalk.

Actually the health system was also pretty clunky, you have this compromise between regenerating shields and doom like health pickups, but the shields are so brittle they might as well not exist unless you devote every infusion you find to upgrading them (but like I said its better to upgrade mana so you can keep using the hilariously overpowered vigors) while your base health is also pretty bad, especially since you can't carry around backup health kits like in previous shock games but can only pick them up one at a time or hope Elizabeth happens to throw you one. On my first playthrough I found myself squatting down in corners with no health waiting for my lovely little shield to regen way to much.

I think that game was crying out to be anything other than a myopic shooter. It just doesn't feel like the right way to experience the setting or the story, if it was more of a traditional RPG, or maybe a stealth game like thief (they realized this with the second DLC pack), or even a puzzler a bit like Portal it might have worked better but as it is the gameplay makes it really hard to take in and chew on the setting, characters and themes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elliotw2 posted:

Probably not happening unless you don't need sound or can convince them to port it to git gzdoom. FMOD doesn't work on Android.

There's an FMOD Android SDK.

http://www.fmod.org/download/

I might be missing something here but I believe this is what would be required for an Android port to happen.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There's some licensing issue or something, since GZdoom is switching to OpenAL entirely so that they can finally make ARM ports.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Johnny Joestar posted:

the problem with infinite is that i paid enough attention to the story to very well know that it's horrible and that ken levine is a hack
It's baffling when you realize he wrote Thief: The Dark Project & System Shock 2 (or at the very least contributed to the writing).

catlord posted:

I thought Absolution ran on the Doomsday engine? EX is pretty drat great though.
Is there any reason to play Doom64 EX over Absolution? I know that EX is more faithful recreation, but that it requires a ROM to play.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

A rom of Doom 64 isn't exactly hard to find.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Is there any reason to play Doom64 EX over Absolution?
Yes - Absolution is a comparatively mediocre by-eye recreation with lots of little errors and inaccuracies while Doom 64 EX uses the actual game data.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Convex posted:

Yeah, Wolfenstein 09 was loving fantastic. The guns in particular had a real weight to them, especially the particle cannon which just disintegrated everything in sight. A shame it's disappeared into legal rights limbo and Bethesda don't care enough to figure it out.

While we're all talking about more modern games, what exactly defines an 'early FPS' in 2016? I feel that anything from more than 10 years ago would now count as sufficiently retro, particularly considering how much everything changed after COD2 hit consoles in 2005. Something like Quake 4 or Timesplitters 2 has way more in common with older FPS games than the more cinematic ones we have these days.

I would say more so Timesplitters Future Perfect is better than 2 and came out quite a bit later than it as well. But still has fantastic twitch elements AND a big supply of multiple modes of multiplayer. Plus it's local 4 player split screen and can still add bots and runs super smoothly. I would think that the Perfect Dark remaster for XBL falls in that category as well. Then again I liked the multi in PD way more than GoldenEye.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Is it worth playing Timesplitters 1 before the other two? I'd have to do it in emulation, and PS2 emulation is a pain in the rear...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Keiya posted:

Is it worth playing Timesplitters 1 before the other two? I'd have to do it in emulation, and PS2 emulation is a pain in the rear...

No. Timesplitters 1 is like Timesplitters 2 but significantly not as good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
TS1 was good for its time but the graphics are pretty rough. It could still be fun if only because it has different levels and they're not bad, but 2 and Future Perfect are even better.

Kinda hard to go back to that goldeneye style of shooter these days, but if you can handle that they're amazing old school fps.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

Kinda hard to go back to that goldeneye style of shooter these days

This is true. Which, bear in mind that TS2 is also very much a Goldeneye style shooter and equally difficult to get back in to, but it's a better crafted game.

It's also loving hard on the hard difficulty. :stare:

Future Perfect came out after Halo and Half-Life 2 and has a fair amount of both spliced into it, which kind of makes the gameplay a bit schizophrenic compared to TS2 but it's the best game overall IMO.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

I tried to play TS2 co-op last winter. That game is archaic feeling anymore. Worst part is the aiming still in the GoldenEye style.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I never got too much into TimeSplitters online, but TS3 had a really cool "drop-in, drop-out" arcade style mode in its deathmatch that was great fun to mess around in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timesplitters has to be my all-time favourite FPS franchise :allears:

If I had more time right now, I'd reminisce some more. Needless to say, Chinese = best level, tactical 12-guage = best gun :colbert:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Oh hey, I thought i was the only person who preferred Future Perfect over 2. I'm really into co-oping levels with friends and I find FP's campaign more fun for that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Timesplitters is a weird series really. The first was really rushed out, and serves as practically a test version for the second one. A Gamecube version was planned, but Free Radical didn't manage to obtain a devkit in time so only released on PS2. There was no real single player mode to speak of, just a mad dash through a few maps to grab a crystal. Still, it went down well enough at the console's launch.

The second is clearly the game FR wanted to make, though. Packed with dozens of modes and maps, hundreds of characters, and some good bots, it's really the perfect desert island game. The single player mode is as close to a Goldeneye sequel was we ever got (excepting Perfect Dark I guess), complete with extra areas and objectives depending on the difficulty mode. The fact it shipped with a level editor really made it the complete package. I spent hundreds of hours playing 4 player deathmatch with friends on custom designed maps, it was a real blast!

For the third game, EA took over publishing duties and duly attempted to influence the development to a much greater degree than Eidos did with the second game. Hence the story missions had more cutscenes and were overall much more linear (goodbye multiple objectives and extra map areas), and I felt that there was just less content there than the previous entry. The weapon aiming was brought more in line with other shooters (less 'floaty', although you can revert to TS2 style in the options) and it just didn't feel as much like Goldeneye as the last installment. Still, it was well above par considering the competition in 2005.

The rights are now owned by Crytek I think, who are so disinterested in using them that they gave some random mod team free reign to make a modern remake however they want. Unfortunately development updates seem to have pretty much dried up now, par for the course for an ambitious freeware game :( At least we didn't get a Free To Play version of TS2 with £1,000s of MicroTransactions I guess!

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 19, 2016

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Future Perfect has actual reload animations so it wins by default. Also, it's really cute and there's tons of variety in regards to set pieces.

IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Future Perfect has actual reload animations so it wins by default. Also, it's really cute and there's tons of variety in regards to set pieces.

IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!

Just call me the Glovenor; I'm quite handy!

gently caress, the mishandling of the Timesplitters series is a gaming tragedy. Mark my words, if/when the next game comes out, I'm buying whatever system it's released for.

What's WORSE is that apparently Timesplitters HD (compilation of all three, downloadable) is complete and unreleased. :psyduck:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's WORSE is that apparently Timesplitters HD (compilation of all three, downloadable) is complete and unreleased. :psyduck:

What, where did you hear that?!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!

"I know, its what I do." :allears:

:rip: Timesplitters, you were too good for this sinful earth.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Needless to say, Chinese = best level, brick only, one shot kills= best

You got a bit off course so I helped you out. So many split screen memories came flooding back.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wanted to like Future Perfect but all of the timesplitters (and metroid prime on gamecube) give me motion sickness so I couldn't play them.

Metroid Prime collection on the wii doesn't so that's cool. Maybe we need a timesplitters collection on the wii.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
When lots of shooters were doing stupid things, Timesplitters did exactly what my kid-self wanted. loving metric tons of characters, loving tons of guns, tons of maps in all kinds of different settings, and you could even make your own maps!

Seriously there were like 50+ characters you could unlock, all pretty cool looking, and just as many guns to play with. The shooting wasn't a huge improvement over goldeneye, but at least they went full kitchen sink on it and put a crapton of stuff in there. More games need to go all in on content like that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Just call me the Glovenor; I'm quite handy!

gently caress, the mishandling of the Timesplitters series is a gaming tragedy. Mark my words, if/when the next game comes out, I'm buying whatever system it's released for.

Say what?!?!?!?!?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Say what?!?!?!?!?

drat, I was close, but my memory failed me. Allegedly, TS2 HD was in development when Free Radical shut down.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-02-timesplitters-2-hd-was-in-development-at-free-radical-design

Swear to god, I've seen some article somewhere that mentioned all three games are ready to go and have been for years... Maybe I dreamt it, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I hadn't heard about TS2 HD, but I know TS3 was in early development when they kicked it. They were primarily focusing on their tech at the time, and apparently had a castle courtyard scene with lots of NPCs running around doing NPC things.

After Brink, though, it might have been a mercy killing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

I hadn't heard about TS2 HD, but I know TS3 was in early development when they kicked it. They were primarily focusing on their tech at the time, and apparently had a castle courtyard scene with lots of NPCs running around doing NPC things.

After Brink, though, it might have been a mercy killing.

I thought Brink was Bethesda?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Er, yeah. I meant Haze, sorry.

I get my horrible disappointments all mixed up.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've never played any of the TimeSplitters games :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I had a friend who had one of them, but I never played much. He would make zombie levels in the editor to mess around in. I would hope that if they ever do a new one it could come out on PC though, I just can't do console shooters.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

I think the weirdest thing about TS was the no jumping. It really called back to GoldenEye/PD, but was kinda weird by the time FP came out. Kinda charming.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Convex posted:

Timesplitters is a weird series really. The first was really rushed out, and serves as practically a test version for the second one. A Gamecube version was planned, but Free Radical didn't manage to obtain a devkit in time so only released on PS2. There was no real single player mode to speak of, just a mad dash through a few maps to grab a crystal. Still, it went down well enough at the console's launch.

The second is clearly the game FR wanted to make, though. Packed with dozens of modes and maps, hundreds of characters, and some good bots, it's really the perfect desert island game. The single player mode is as close to a Goldeneye sequel was we ever got (excepting Perfect Dark I guess), complete with extra areas and objectives depending on the difficulty mode. The fact it shipped with a level editor really made it the complete package. I spent hundreds of hours playing 4 player deathmatch with friends on custom designed maps, it was a real blast!

For the third game, EA took over publishing duties and duly attempted to influence the development to a much greater degree than Eidos did with the second game. Hence the story missions had more cutscenes and were overall much more linear (goodbye multiple objectives and extra map areas), and I felt that there was just less content there than the previous entry. The weapon aiming was brought more in line with other shooters (less 'floaty', although you can revert to TS2 style in the options) and it just didn't feel as much like Goldeneye as the last installment. Still, it was well above par considering the competition in 2005.

The rights are now owned by Crytek I think, who are so disinterested in using them that they gave some random mod team free reign to make a modern remake however they want. Unfortunately development updates seem to have pretty much dried up now, par for the course for an ambitious freeware game :( At least we didn't get a Free To Play version of TS2 with £1,000s of MicroTransactions I guess!

I liked all the Timesplitters myself and it's a drat shame there is no HD collection. Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08G7iGJyZKI

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
This made me think of Reelism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Convex posted:

Yeah, Wolfenstein 09 was loving fantastic. The guns in particular had a real weight to them, especially the particle cannon which just disintegrated everything in sight. A shame it's disappeared into legal rights limbo and Bethesda don't care enough to figure it out.

It particularly stokes my irrational, immature pit of useless nerd rage that Machine Games have repeatedly stated they loving hate everything about 09 and don't want anything to do with it.