Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Workout shift at a fancy cocktail joint tonight. Send goon vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Current trend it to stir drinks with your wang doogle

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

navyjack posted:

Workout shift at a fancy cocktail joint tonight. Send goon vibes.

You can do it

Gropes
Mar 21, 2011

It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.
Anyone have experience with trying to get back into the industry in a big city after being out of it for a while. I've been out of it for a year cause my current city doesn't have a huge demand for it but I really want to get back into it as soon as I move to LA

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Virtue is its own reward, friend

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If I'm paying a tab with cash, in North America or another place where tipping is expected, and I give a full extra $20 bill above the amount of the tab, isn't the expectation when I ask for change that I need that $20 broken in order to leave a tip? I was paying an $86 tab last night, and I wanted to leave more than a $14 tip, so I gave the waitress a $100 bill and a $20, asking for change. She brought $14 in change and brought my $20 right back. Is there a better way to communicate what I'm trying to do?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PT6A posted:

If I'm paying a tab with cash, in North America or another place where tipping is expected, and I give a full extra $20 bill above the amount of the tab, isn't the expectation when I ask for change that I need that $20 broken in order to leave a tip? I was paying an $86 tab last night, and I wanted to leave more than a $14 tip, so I gave the waitress a $100 bill and a $20, asking for change. She brought $14 in change and brought my $20 right back. Is there a better way to communicate what I'm trying to do?

Maybe give her the $100 bill and tell her to keep it, and ask her to break the $20? Honestly she just screwed up, that's a pretty straightforward request.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

She's dumb and should have broken the 20 like you asked her to.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sheep-Goats posted:

She's dumb and should have broken the 20 like you asked her to.

Lol

It's a thing that comes with experience. Maybe no one had ever dropped that "break the extra $20" on her before. I think my first serving shift ever I might have done the same thing and given back the whole bill nervously and sweating and then told the customer he screwed up, and left too much money. Duuurrur

I started dumb, and still practice at it every day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I figure it was just a mistake, but I wanted to know if it was my mistake in the way I asked, or her mistake.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

PT6A posted:

I figure it was just a mistake, but I wanted to know if it was my mistake in the way I asked, or her mistake.

Nah, you could have worded it slightly more clearly, but she dropped the ball there. Either she's dumb or, more than likely, just inexperienced.

Personally, I had the opposite happen recently. Bought a beer and paid with a $20, got strip club money back. What the gently caress am I gonna do with $14 in singles?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Current trend it to stir drinks with your wang doogle

Couldn't fit it in the glass so I just used it on the rim like a twist.

Got the job, tho! :woop:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Thread has been great for book recommendations so I need to ask for a basic wine book. New job has a more extensive wine list than I've had before. Hook me up, please!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Windows on the world is decent, as is the wine bible by karen McNeil. Not 100% on her last me, my copy got pilfered ages ago.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

navyjack posted:

Thread has been great for book recommendations so I need to ask for a basic wine book. New job has a more extensive wine list than I've had before. Hook me up, please!

How much do you know about wine right now, and what sorts of things do you want to learn?

If you're starting from 0, I would recommend "Wine for Dummies."

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Fear of Wine

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

How much do you know about wine right now, and what sorts of things do you want to learn?

If you're starting from 0, I would recommend "Wine for Dummies."

Ughh. Yeah, from pretty fuckin close to zero

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Sticking with my answer. Pair it with Wine Lovers Companion when you feel you have a foothold

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

navyjack posted:

Ughh. Yeah, from pretty fuckin close to zero

You could consider taking a class, too. It's obviously a little bit more expensive, but it's not a complete ripoff like "bartending school." I took the WSET Level 1 course with a friend who was in a very similar situation to you, and it was definitely helpful -- you learn about various wine styles, the factors that make a wine "good" vs. "bad," how to pair wine with food, and that sort of thing -- and it's all backed up with tasting, which I think is the big difference from just learning from a book, especially because some of the wines selected for the tasting portion are pricey things you might not pick out on your own.

Unlike normal wine-tastings put on by distributors and liquor stores, the focus is actually on learning about the wines, as opposed to trying to convince you that you like a wine so that you'll buy it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

You could consider taking a class, too. It's obviously a little bit more expensive, but it's not a complete ripoff like "bartending school." I took the WSET Level 1 course with a friend who was in a very similar situation to you, and it was definitely helpful -- you learn about various wine styles, the factors that make a wine "good" vs. "bad," how to pair wine with food, and that sort of thing -- and it's all backed up with tasting, which I think is the big difference from just learning from a book, especially because some of the wines selected for the tasting portion are pricey things you might not pick out on your own.

Unlike normal wine-tastings put on by distributors and liquor stores, the focus is actually on learning about the wines, as opposed to trying to convince you that you like a wine so that you'll buy it.

Yeah, I can definitely see a class in my future. Ideally, I'd like to get myself important enough to operations that I can get the boss to pay for part of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

navyjack posted:

Yeah, I can definitely see a class in my future. Ideally, I'd like to get myself important enough to operations that I can get the boss to pay for part of it.

If you can get all or part of it paid for, do it!

I just got back from a class from the WSET 2nd level, and it's great because there's almost no chance that I would buy a $100 bottle of wine I wasn't familiar with, or that a $100 retail wine would be offered by the glass at a price I'd want to pay in a restaurant or bar, and yet we got to taste two or three of them tonight. So it's an excellent, excellent way to try high quality examples of styles you'd never touch with a ten-foot pole on your own. I mean, we also had to taste Yellow Tail, so it's not just high end stuff, but on the whole it was loving awesome. And I have another six weeks of it!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm 89. I work at a very high volume college bar in Arkansas. My shifts consist of making ridiculous amounts of $1 well drinks and beers. I'm used to college kids mostly not tipping and paying in cards they get from donating plasma occasionally. I regularly have to explain things like why their drinks taste weaker because they requested no ice and laugh at them when they scoff at the idea of a $3 cover on a Friday night that is packed so tight, that the fire department should have shut us down years ago. Also occasionally deal with the ghetto crowd, but thankfully not too often as they don't like karaoke or live bands...and if that's not going on, I just turn on a ton of Johnny Cash & Hank Williams on the jukebox until they leave. I'm not racist, I just work in the bar industry. I don't see black or white. I only see green.

I dodged a literal bullet that went off from somebody's gun a couple of months ago with the heat passing by my leg. And a cop just got arrested by other cops last week after he was being creepy as gently caress to a waitress, said a lot of inappropriate things, and then went crazy on the rest of us.

Alcohol.

But, there's also a lot of great people there and our staff is a big, happy family that sticks together through everything and we do a lot of cool and fun poo poo. Very, very high comradery. My schedule is flexible and the money lets me live comfortably. Granted, I don't get much ahead, and I've been doing this for 4 years. But, I know I'll miss it one day when I make that next step. The chicks are hot, but also really really dumb and I'm too old for them (28)...but I still end up with them somehow.

Also, even though we can only hold about 250 people, we're the spot so much in this college town that we'll occasionally get a celebrity after they do stuff on campus. Nick Cannon did karaoke last Wednesday.

But, hey! We just started crawfish every Sunday! The second most difficult alcoholic Sunday to get past other than football season. I stopped drinking for 2 months, but fell victim to it the past...2 Sundays in a row.

89 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 9, 2016

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Man I didn't see your username and thought you were telling us about being 89 years old and still working the bar job from Hell. That would have been depressing!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I miss working bars a lot less the older I get. I do miss shooting the poo poo with other bartenders though, but that's what this thread is for.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

89 posted:

I'm 89. I work at a very high volume college bar in Arkansas.

LR or Fayetteville?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Jonesboro? :v:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

XIII posted:

LR or Fayetteville?

Conway

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

I miss working bars a lot less the older I get. I do miss shooting the poo poo with other bartenders though, but that's what this thread is for.

Yep, my wife just got a great paying full time job after being a stay at home mom for awhile, so I recently gave up my bar shifts. It's loving awesome, three days off a week now!

I work security full time at the same resort the bar is in, so I still get to shoot the poo poo and help out when the guys get in the weeds and they tip me out good for it so it's a win/win :)

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 11, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU0lCpeyS5c

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

89 posted:

Conway

My condolences.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So after getting let go from my last bar because the new Director of Operations decided to give his friend my job and spending months on the hunt, I have taken the first job offered to me. Don't do this. I'm now working graveyard shift Mon-Thurs in a place so out in the sticks I can't even get my own friends to visit me. I'm essentially a janitor making minimum wage. I think all in all I'm making less then I did on unemployment. Well at least the hours enable me to go on any future interview that may come my way (please someone call me back I send out so many resumes to Craigslist ads). I'm pretty sure this is the lowest point of my entire career and I've worked telephone tech support.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

So after getting let go from my last bar because the new Director of Operations decided to give his friend my job and spending months on the hunt, I have taken the first job offered to me. Don't do this. I'm now working graveyard shift Mon-Thurs in a place so out in the sticks I can't even get my own friends to visit me. I'm essentially a janitor making minimum wage. I think all in all I'm making less then I did on unemployment. Well at least the hours enable me to go on any future interview that may come my way (please someone call me back I send out so many resumes to Craigslist ads). I'm pretty sure this is the lowest point of my entire career and I've worked telephone tech support.

Yeah, the job I was excited about up the page bait-and-switched me so say hello to the new lunch shift bartender! Lol. I already told them that I would have passed on the job if they'd told me what it was and that I was going to be interviewing to move on.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Every employer is dogshit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

True. I think there's a lot of people that get into bartending expecting to immediately make bank and being thoroughly disappointed with how tough it really is. It's only a part of the battle, the other part is finding a good bar with a good shift where you can actually make decent money and that bar not being run by retards. Good luck with that part and if you find it don't ever leave.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

There's nothing fun about a fun-run when we get 100+ people all rolling in at the same time demanding their free beer the run gave them a ticket for RIGHT NOW while the organizer is throwing (literally throwing) raffle prizes to the people that won.

So loving glad I'm not on tomorrow, at least.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

navyjack posted:

Yeah, the job I was excited about up the page bait-and-switched me so say hello to the new lunch shift bartender! Lol. I already told them that I would have passed on the job if they'd told me what it was and that I was going to be interviewing to move on.

My favorite personal example is back at my first gig where I was asked to work on design and layout, wasn't consulted, and ended up quitting within 3 months because they too slipped me into the lunch shift at a college bar where the lunch kitchen crew took 45 minutes to assemble a hamburger and I had more customer walkouts than closed checks more than once.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I had one employer in NYC who every other week would go on a rant about how bartenders are all known to steal. This place was ostensibly a night club and was in one of the parts of the city relatively light in residential space yet they insisted on being open at 4pm most days where one bartender and one server would stand there doing literally nothing for five or six hours until the first customer came in. They paid zero for salary no matter how slow the shift was, it was tips only. They would also sometimes force you to go to Atlantic City to work in another bar they owned there because "we can't find any good bartenders in AC." They didn't pay for transport there or back and had a lovely apartment with two real mattresses in it and four air mattresses and if you took one of the real mattresses you'd be awakened by a Curtis furious red eyed drunken Hispanic chef telling you you were in his bed.

Yes, your criminal nontrustwothy staff.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

I had one employer in NYC who every other week would go on a rant about how bartenders are all known to steal. This place was ostensibly a night club and was in one of the parts of the city relatively light in residential space yet they insisted on being open at 4pm most days where one bartender and one server would stand there doing literally nothing for five or six hours until the first customer came in. They paid zero for salary no matter how slow the shift was, it was tips only. They would also sometimes force you to go to Atlantic City to work in another bar they owned there because "we can't find any good bartenders in AC." They didn't pay for transport there or back and had a lovely apartment with two real mattresses in it and four air mattresses and if you took one of the real mattresses you'd be awakened by a Curtis furious red eyed drunken Hispanic chef telling you you were in his bed.

Yes, your criminal nontrustwothy staff.

There are about 15% of people who will steal no matter what, there are about 40% who won't steal ever, and the rest...if management and ownership are doing their jobs, won't take a dime.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Sheep-Goats posted:

My comrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Starting a new job in a fancy cocktail bar tomorrow evening. Ought to be a nice change of pace from the dank dives I'm used to.

Mostly looking forward to a slower pace and well-adjusted customers. Not gonna happen that way though, is it?

• Locked thread