Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Scruffpuff posted:

They keep pushing the "It's an Alpha!" line, but here's the thing - people are not new to Alphas. The cultists trumpet this viewpoint as if SC is the first ever game to allow plebs to peer behind the curtain and see a game at this stage of development, but that's a bunch of bullshit. People today have access to pre-alphas, alphas, betas, poo poo even really early access titles that have almost no content at all. And in every case, except Star Citizen, you can see that even if the game is buggy, or featureless, that underneath it is an engine that will eventually be built and polished into a completed game.

Star Citizen is the only alpha title I've ever experienced where minutes into the "game" I was able to say, with considerable confidence, "Nope. This isn't gonna work." You can tell from a million things that this foundation is literally crumbling under its own weight, and even the few parts that work, don't really work the way they should. It's broken on a very fundamental level, and no amount of bugfixes will ever result in what they're pitching. 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 - all poo poo. I'm glad to see that CIG can count, but they sure as poo poo can't make a game.

This is what I've been thinking. This game is so fundamentally flawed and to put really terrible management with it, this game wont come out in any meaningful way. They'll try to salvage something most likely and claim some group of reasons as to why the game had to be limited but they'll call it complete.

Also the wet fart that SQ42 is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

A Neurotic Jew posted:

this looks awesome. what is the game called?

Dunno what it's called, but I'm pretty sure the city you will be catting up is none other than Kowloon, the 'Walled City'.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

Kotaku Auatralia: the 8 Best Oculus Games I've Played

Poor Chris... He's disqualified his Dream Game from ever really giving people the very experience he's been chasing his entire gaming career-- a truly immersive space adventure experience...

He -- and the gigantic Star Citizen backer community -- are going to see this refrain over and over-- "VR changes everything! I'm flying my own spaceship and it's absolutely incredible! I'm IMMERSED in this entirely different universe and it feels AMAZING!!!" And it's going to drive Chris nuts and backers to despair and fury...

No flight sims 0/10 my inner grog is full of impotent rahe

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Wrecked Angle posted:

While the 3 gunners on a ship not designed for combat settles in for another lengthy journey where they do absolutely nothing.

They'll pass the time by shoving a vending machine around.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

A Neurotic Jew posted:

this looks awesome. what is the game called?

Takes place in the Kowloon Walled City in Hong Kong.

Right now there's no title, it's just called HK Project: http://hk-devblog.com/

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

There are no visibility problems, you just don't understand the advantages of Chris Robert's groundbreaking 3840x216 resolution technology

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Phi230 posted:

No flight sims 0/10 my inner grog is full of impotent rahe

NATO counters in virtual reality

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

It's not bad, it's alpha, you should be humbled by the fact that they're even letting you glimpse at the Vision this early in development.

And not just any alpha.
It's a *true* alpha.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Madcosby posted:

but if he's blocked, how will he know that youre planning something in two weeks

I'll unblock him in Two Weeks.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Variable 5 posted:

Nooooo he's gonna block you too :ohdear:

Paging zdr to tell us if Dr. Derek Smart, Internet Warlord has more people blocked or unblocked in this thread. I'm going with 50-50, myself.

Two weeks.

Nah, so far only one person in my ignore list for the next two weeks. I tend to disable it once I've gotten over it. Take my nephew Ricky (aka Ravane) for instance. He was blocked for almost three weeks. Then he pulled a daring stunt that forced my hand to unblock.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

D_Smart posted:

I'll unblock him in Two Weeks.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I'm laughing right now. Uncontrollably.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
2.3.0 has been published to PTU! :woop:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4b19fc/ptu_230_published_to_ptu/

quote:

Star Citizen Patch v2.3.0
Alpha Patch 2.3.0 has been released to the PTU, and is now available for players to test! This patch provides access to our new flyable Khartu-al, the hangar-ready Starfarer (and a corresponding hangar bay it can fit in), as well as two new FPS weapons, new components, updates to FPS animations and EVA, as well as numerous fixes across the game. During this initial testing phase, PTU access will be restricted to a small group of players that we will expand on over time as required.
Your launcher should should show “2.3.0 – 334301” as the client version. It is strongly recommended that players delete their USER folder for the Test client after patching, particularly if you start encountering any odd character graphical issues or crash on loading. The USER folder can be found (in default installations) at C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Test.
Please review our current list of Patch 2.3.0 Known Issues, and take full advantage of our Issue Council area of the Community site to report any bugs you encounter, as well as contribute to other players submissions.

quote:

Important Callouts:

Arena Commander will be disabled for this first testing phase, as we want very much to test Crusader performance.
PTU players in this initial test will have access to the Khartu-al in AC and Crusader, and the Starfarer (if you have the Revel & York hangar on your account).
The Cry-Astro Repair Station landing pads will break if a pilot takes off during the repair sequence.
Certain AI in Crusader are experiencing some difficulty flying.
There is a known issue where users with the Starfarer Gemini will not see the Starfarer Tanker in the Revel and York hangar. We should have this fixed soon!
The ambient audio from Dumpers Depot broadcasts through all of ArcCorp.

New Features Star Systems:

The Revel & York Hangar has a new extra-large hangar bay attached to its left outer hangar bay.
The hangar bay does not appear on the Hangar Management on the website.
Instead, if you have a Starfarer on your account and the Revel & York hangar configured as your active hangar, it will auto-load the extra-large hangar and add the Starfarer.
We have added additional Security AI around Port Olisar, that will attack any players that have a wanted level.

Ships:
The Starfarer Base is now Hangar-ready!
This ship can be viewed only in the Revel & York Hangar, via its new extra-large hangar bay.
If you have a Starfarer on your account, you will only need to activate the Revel & York hangar on the website and then load into it in-game.

The Khartu-al is now flight-ready!

Component Update

We have continued our large update to our existing Ship component system. This is largely at a back-end level – implementing a new component class system, naming conventions and other needed functionality, as well as retrofitting all existing ships to be compatible. These changes will allow us to implement a greater range of modular internal ship components. Additionally, this allows components to interact with one another in a more direct and less “handwavium” simulation of a ships internal systems, setting the foundation for greater player interaction and future game play mechanics.
We have a new component class – Power Plants – have been added to the Holotable.
Power Plants (as you expect) power the systems of the ship.
All ships have been retrofitted with generic power plants to provide the same level of “power” they possessed before.
We have added 2 Power Plants, the AEGIS Regulus and Amon & Reese OverDrive
These can be mounted on all variants of the following ships: Avenge, Aurora, Mustang, 300 Series, Hornet, Gladiator, Gladius, M50, P-52 Merlin

First Person:
We have added two new FPS weapons to Crusader!
One is the Arrowhead Sniper Rifle.
The other is the Devastator-12 Shotgun.
Both can be found in groups of three, as random finds in the Yela Asteroid field.

Animations
We have made a number of changes and improvements to character animations!*
These include improvements to starts, stops and steps transitions.
Added animations for cover “high right” blind fire.
Update both “high right” peek from cover, and “high right” step out animations.
Adjusted animations for sprinting while holding a stocked gun.
Adjusted the animations for leaning out of cover, as characters were sticking out much too far.
Adjusted the sprint animation for both unarmed and carrying a pistol.
Added lean in and out of cover for blindfire animations.
Adjusted the aim-down-sights animations while in EVA, so it is no longer slower than when aiming-down-sights on foot.
Fixed issue where the audio of players footsteps and other movement sound FX is very very quiet to other clients.
Fixed an issue where looking up while running forward would cause the character neck to contort unnaturally.
Fixed an issue where weapons could be “lowered” while prone, causing odd animation errors.

this is just an abridged version of the patch notes up on the RSI site, which are probably as massive and redundant as the 2.2 release.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 19, 2016

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Edit: beaten.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Twerk was right to worry about the shops after all :negative:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Skellybones posted:

Fidelitous improvements:

- Moved badge to opposite side
- Badge position changed
- Six 0.1 frames reduced to two 0.5 second frames
- Badge side swapped
- Resized to avatar constraints
- Obvious mirroring reduced
- File sized reduced
- General bugfixes

Did you start coding it at midnight? Also, have to vote it down. No doors or space plants.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

D_Smart posted:

I'm laughing right now. Uncontrollably.

I like how they threw their own design aesthetic out the window to make Klingons 2: Croberts Boogaloo.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

Are they bringing back all the ex employees for this?

Will they be covering all the controversy, the Escapist articles, the refunds, the changing of their TOS, the Ilfonic debacle, are they even involving any outside contractors?

And will the cameras be running when the liquidators walk in the door?

Or will it be a self congratulatory mutual mass wank fest like all their other TV shows?

Look into your heart, your soul (even if the backers say we don't have them).

You KNOW the answer.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

orcinus posted:

I'm not sure they're even using multi-texturing.*
Nothing thus far indicated they are. I think they're stuck with using decals.

Which is dumb, because cryengine not only supports multitexturing, but multiple materials per object (so textures and shaders and everything).

* at least for poo poo like logos - i.e. stuff they're hoping to slap on reusable models

poo poo. I hadn't thought of that, simply because it's just too dumb to even consider they'd do that. But it totally makes sense as to why they would be moving. Decals (a form of MT btw) would totally have that effect as a result of a bug. It would be like bullet holes on a wall that move as you move, and which don't fade over time. Decals are not meant to be permanent (for the most part).

I don't even know anymore, man.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the component/power plant thing is definitely the most curious part of this update, looking forward to hearing more about that.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ravane posted:

Props on the Model S, it's a sick rear end car. But do you drive in the T-position? I hear that's the driving pose of the future.

I only assume the T position when the car is parked :)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

6'0", 310lbs is probably what I'd estimate for him in like 2012-2013.

6'0", 380lbs still isn't coming close to where he is now.

500lbs is probably underestimating.

He's going to end up killing his wife one of these days first. Then the trauma and shock will hit him.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

Hey guys, I'm about to do an environment pass on the first level of Solar Plebeian.

I need some ideas for objects and obstacles to put in the arena.

A couple things on my list:
- Transparent tunnels to fly through
- Very small planets Fat men about the size of a large ship
- More birds

Any input is greatly appreciated

o9

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Here you go.

"Pretty soon you'll be able to buy ships and stuff just through the game." - Jake Ross.

He's talking about clothing and components as well. How they specifically implement this is a matter of huge consequence, and the possibility still exists that some earnable currency will be rolled out that allows players to rack up space bucks through pew-pew or whatnot.

So- either they are finally implementing UEC in some fashion alongside this build (and boy could that be perilous!), or they are doing the far simpler task of building an in-game interface to their existing pledge system. The former might kill the goose that craps the golden turds; the latter might keep it alive and increase its efficiency.

I guess we will know soon enough. We know that the Ship Sales Floor was made a high priority project after the big LA summit. Prior to that, they didn't really have a roadmap for PTU development for this year- a fact Jake Ross stated plainly on an earlier Around the Verse this year.

So, a speculative (and pretty cynical) working theory.

Earlier this year, the heads of their various offices met in LA. The Foundry team tells them that SQ42 isn't going to be finished this year (though this may have already been known.) Foundry is claiming many of the development resources-- which means Star Citizen proper will languish, yet the funds to float their efforts are largely coming from ship sales in Star Citizen. It's a pickle.

A PTU Road Map is hashed out for 2016. Despite outward professions of prioritizing VR, bigger instances, etc., the primary goal for the year for the PTU is keeping the money rolling in, and making it even easier to part fools from their money. (Plus Space Farming because Chris won't stop going on about how fun it is, and how much he's spent on in-game purchases to increase his sugar beet yield in Farming Simulator 2016.)

The Ship Sales Floor is fast-tracked, and from what we've heard, they are pulling out the stops for it. My assumption is this is meant to reduce the friction of buying ships via RSI, not to reduce their actual real income by giving backers a workaround. It also sounds like this will be the thing that finally gets them to add female NPCs to the game-- which if true is utterly hilarious.

Everything we've heard about the Ship Sales Floor indicates its a double-down on the Million Mile High Club. That place was created to stroke the egos of MR. BIG SPENDERS. The Sales Floor is (I assume) meant to encourage them to become MR. BIG SPENDERS. Jake Ross described it as a place where NPCs will flit about with champagne trays, where salesmen and (I think) saleswomen will be pitching exciting ships and NPCs customers will presumably be watching with baited breath. Presumably the intent is to get backers caught up in a contrived atmosphere of excitement about buying ships with real money.

If Turbulent and CIG build a credit-card back-ended tool for such purchases in game, it will reduce the friction considerably-- in the same way that in-game purchases via iPhone apps (back-ended by iTunes storage of credit cards) is so, so easy.

This would increase baseline revenues for CIG-- which, outside of big ship sales events, have trended quite low of late. This seems a greater imperative than it was last month, simply because the split of Squadron 42 and Star Citizen produced the opposite effect that was intended. For those with no moral reservations about fleecing the gullible and desperate, be a brilliant plan-- and might reduce cashflow concerns.

----

Now, having said all of this, I still know it's possible that this is an overly cynical take on things. If they surprise us by introducing UEC, then I'd be the first to admit I was being unfair to assume the worst of them. Maybe they are turning over a new leaf soon and actually will be implementing things that reduce rather than increase the likelihood of backers spending too much money on space pixels... Maybe they've started to feel a little bit convicted about it?

Then again...

Implementing UEC is irrelevant. What's relevant is the conversion rate. Just wait for the part where 2 UEC = $1. It will be hilarious.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

D_Smart posted:

Nah, so far only one person in my ignore list for the next two weeks. I tend to disable it once I've gotten over it. Take my nephew Ricky (aka Ravane) for instance. He was blocked for almost three weeks. Then he pulled a daring stunt that forced my hand to unblock.

:3: How long I've waited to hear those words, announcing them back in my october blog. :')

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Did I just head Ben say that the Blade has been COMPLETELY redone since it was leaked like a year ago?

Ben you know that's not a good thing, right?

Called it. Moving along.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

They keep pushing the "It's an Alpha!" line, but here's the thing - people are not new to Alphas. The cultists trumpet this viewpoint as if SC is the first ever game to allow plebs to peer behind the curtain and see a game at this stage of development, but that's a bunch of bullshit. People today have access to pre-alphas, alphas, betas, poo poo even really early access titles that have almost no content at all. And in every case, except Star Citizen, you can see that even if the game is buggy, or featureless, that underneath it is an engine that will eventually be built and polished into a completed game.

Star Citizen is the only alpha title I've ever experienced where minutes into the "game" I was able to say, with considerable confidence, "Nope. This isn't gonna work." You can tell from a million things that this foundation is literally crumbling under its own weight, and even the few parts that work, don't really work the way they should. It's broken on a very fundamental level, and no amount of bugfixes will ever result in what they're pitching. 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 - all poo poo. I'm glad to see that CIG can count, but they sure as poo poo can't make a game.

It's not an alpha. If it were an alpha you'd think basic tech like 'can support the desired number of people simultaneously' would be in place by now. By my reckoning it's probably a prototype of the local physics grid, and I'd guess the team that made it showed it to Chris and he's completely clueless about what a prototype is so he just gives the orders to go ahead and start dumping finished assets in it and release it as an alpha, and they couldn't or wouldn't convince him otherwise. On a prototype, you leave all kinds of poo poo unfinished and hacked-together because it's not part of the thing that you're prototyping and that's fine unless some idiot comes along and insists the prototype looks OK to them so it must be ready for alpha. And then you're doomed to have hacks upon hacks upon hacks and you can't fix the hacks later because it breaks the hacks on the hacks that aren't currently broken. That's the kind of thing that explains how you can have $100M, hire coders who must be mostly competent, and yet end up releasing broken dog poo poo.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
:yarg: :siren:EVERYONE RECORDING FOR THE STIMPIRE READ THIS:siren: :gary:

When doing your recording try to get into a closet with a lot of clothes if possible. we want quiet space with out reverb. I can remove reverb but its nice to not do that ;)

If not get close to your mic unless it sound weird when doing so (proximity effect on some mics). Weird meaning the low end becomes too boomy.

Record 5 seconds of tone from your mic position in your room. This gives me a long bit of silence for your specific noise and helps removing it.

If you can see the meters in your recording program they should peak around here IF you are recording at 24bit (please record at 24bit):

This is -12dbfs:

If you must record 16bit push to the -3dbfs

EDITING

Edit the files so they have a second after each line and like 40ms at the front.

label the audio files and edit them for your emperor... Make sure you put your initials on the file so you can get credit for your work.

solar_pleb_SHIPNAME_LINE_initials

solar_pleb_CHARACTERNAME_line_initials

solar_pleb_SHIPNAME_ROOMTONE_initials

IF YOU HAVE A BAD MIC YOU CAN STILL BE A SHIP COMPUTER OR SOMETHING BUT THE REAL HUMANS SHOULD BE DONE WITH GOOD MICS.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A Neurotic Jew posted:

2.3.0 has been published to PTU! :woop:

We have continued our large update to our existing Ship component system. This is largely at a back-end level

The biggest change to 2.3 is something you won't notice.

1 new hanger ship, 1 flyable ship, a couple guns, and a shitload of game-breaking bugs. 30+ gig patch, have fun losers :lesnick:

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 19, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have got my fingers crossed that the big change in 2.3 is they have had a rethink and have made a racing sim based on Outrun

Edit: And they got someone else to make it

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

D_Smart posted:

Implementing UEC is irrelevant. What's relevant is the conversion rate. Just wait for the part where 2 UEC = $1. It will be hilarious.

preminitions of this in todays RtV

but um, spoiler warnings!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I can't keep up with this thread anymore, jesus. I bet that they'll fold in 2018.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The fact that jst0rm is doing the sounds for Solar Plebian would cause Chris to have a Kylo Ren style flip out if he knew about it. It is beautiful in every way.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

I have got my fingers crossed that the big change in 2.3 is they have had a rethink and have made a racing sim based on Outrun

Edit: And they got someone else to make it

Featuring "Magical Sound Shower" done with airhorns.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ComfyPants posted:

Featuring "Magical Sound Shower" done with airhorns.

Magical Parp Shower

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Anyone in a wheelchair been doxxed recently?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
crossing my fingers for permanent rag doll and death sticking around the 'verse 2.3.0

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

I have seen that before but never has it been so clarifying.

We just spent 30 minutes watching Lando run around inside that thing -- 30 minutes -- and it's too big for their hangars and landing pads and represents, if crewed, an instance unto itself. It remains unfinished, and may be weeks before it gets released just into a Hangar state...

And it is but a fraction of the size of the big ships!

Sometimes I wonder if I'm too pessimistic about this. I tell myself it can't possibly be as bad as I assume or backers would be rioting and the press tearing this thing apart for its utter hopelessness and CIG for their rapacious business model.

Yet the opposite is true. The backers even bigger chumps and the press even more derelict than I imagined possible. I can't believe it-- I truly can't believe it.

quote:

Derek Smart will soon have posted:
"Why are you so surprised? I have been telling you guys this thing is hosed ten ways from Saturday since last summer?! This is obvious to anyone, anyone who looks at it! They are hosed! And liars! And they don't even know they half of it because something is about to drop that will finish the job I started 9 months ago! Two weeks!

THE END!"

Gorf, I know I haven't said this before, but between you, Beer, pabz, AP, neurotic Jew and a few others, you guys are the reason I never - ever - skip a page here. Like never. I'm too much of a control freak to think that I may have missed something important coming from you guys. :)

TL;DR you guys are awesome!

ps: Line Of Defense has bigger scenes (stations, carrier) in the same world. No instancing. 256 clients. No sweat. Like Arbys, we've got the tech! :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

This starfarer tour is incredible. It simultaneously is actually pretty cool and impressive AND highlights how hosed things are at CIG. The art on this thing is really cool, the layout is interesting and complex, and the whole thing looks like it could be a cool level in a space game, but it's horribly broken, tons are missing, and eveything they are talking about is still SOON and DREAMS.

Yes. They're hosed. Completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Wow, the patch contained two guns and one ship? Amazing. At this rate they'll be done by 2070 at the latest. (2065 at the earliest)

• Locked thread