Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

checkplease posted:

Any general tips or strategy for the triple ravinica flashback draft?

Bouncelands are sick, there's lots of good removal so pick up the good stuff, and card advantage is king. 3+ colors is probably the norm, because bouncelands and signets are really good. If you can get into a three color combination with two guilds in it, you're in good shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

did you guys see that Dead Weight is a reprint in the set? Dead Weight owns, can't wait to cast that

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Dead Weight cast as straight removal is going to be really good for Delirium.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Dead weight to kill Geist of st traft was always the best technology

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A big flaming stink posted:

Dead weight to kill Geist of st traft was always the best technology

How do you dodge the Hexproof

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Devor posted:

How do you dodge the Hexproof

Auras which enter play without going on the stack don't target

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Pauper is funny in that now it has me excited to see spoiled commons in the new set. In the past, it was mostly the big showy rares and mythics I was interested in.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Elyv posted:

Auras which enter play without going on the stack don't target
Auras entered play that way during that Standard via Sun Titan.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
Had the weirdest Magic night I've had in some time. Went 4-1 with 8-Whack Goblins at Modern, losing in the first round to a deck I should almost guarantee a win against, U/W Control, due to flooding out incredibly hard (I drew 10 lands in a row game two. In a loving row.), and managed to kick the everloving poo poo out of R/G Eldrazi with my best draws and performance of the entire night during the final round. This deck is loving bananas. I had two Reality Smashers, three Temples, and an Eye of Ugin sitting across the table from me, and I still won handily. I ended up in 7th out of 40 people, and wound up trading for a Blood Moon and a Stoneforge Mystic Promo using a lot of random poo poo from my binder that somehow added up to a ton of value I wasn't even aware I'd had.

I also got pulled over by the police for something innocuous on my way out of the store to head home, and was let off scot free. Tonight has been :wtc: as all hell.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

Tailfnz posted:

Had the weirdest Magic night I've had in some time.

Me too. I played a Mirror Mockery with Reflector Mage homebrew (assembled in a couple of hours from bits that I had around), and did far better than I had any reason to. Surprisingly good against mono-red (sided Goblin Piledrivers were bad, but Whirler Rogue tokens were a lifesaver there). Eldrazi Displacer enabled Harbinger of the Tides bounces all day long, and Mizzium Meddler was a surprise VIP to protect by Mockery'd creatures from burn or cuts etc. Sucked pretty hard against Eldrazi Ramp though, with so many bad on-cast triggers, bouncing stuff wasn't great. I think I'll hone it further though, it was a lot of fun to play. Getting a hard lock against the Hardened Scales player felt great, and I was playing out Quarantine Fields for zero just to give me some protection from Dromoka's Command.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Tonight was Modern FNM at the LGS - I was the only player on eldrazi as everyone else locally has sold off in anticipation of bans. Went undefeated in to the final round against affinity, one of my best matches, where I win game 1 and then lost game 2 when my opponent gained exactly enough life to live from a Tomb of the Spirit dragon. Then lost game 3 disappointingly by drawing 6 lands in 8 turns.

Still made $20 coming 2nd tho, so it was a good night.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This set loving owns. Everything about it is better than BFZ.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Voyager I posted:

I hope you're ready to eat your words when Sorin stabs Emrakul with his sword after Jace casts the Vulnerability to Swords spell

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Voyager I posted:

All because of the leaks :(

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

JerryLee posted:

I hope you're ready to eat your words when Sorin stabs Emrakul with his sword after Jace casts the Vulnerability to Swords spell

more than likely he just cuts off emrakul's tendrils with his sword, making the noble sacrifice of killing all his subjects on innistrad and leaving it a lifeless world but defeating emrakul once and for all the end

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hellsau posted:

more than likely he just cuts off emrakul's tendrils with his sword, making the noble sacrifice of killing all his subjects on innistrad and leaving it a lifeless world but defeating emrakul once and for all the end

Um, but she'd still be alive, just sans tendrils?! I don't think you've thought this through

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

checkplease posted:

Pauper is funny in that now it has me excited to see spoiled commons in the new set. In the past, it was mostly the big showy rares and mythics I was interested in.

It's actually pretty rare for newer commons to end up Pauper viable

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
A buddy at my store gave me a promo Spanish wurmcoil engine because I'm always loaning cards and decks to people.

I was stunned. What does that even go for?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

rabidsquid posted:

It's actually pretty rare for newer commons to end up Pauper viable

I could see that from a spell perspective. Generally older removal and other spells are more efficient. But creatures have definitely grown in power, though maybe this is more on the rare side than common side.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Modern creatures might be stronger but they will never print a common creature as strong as something like Mulldrifter or Chittering Rats again

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Oh hey, a 2 CMC mana rock, albeit one with a condition before you can tap it for mana.

Corrupted Tombstone
Artifact (Rare)
Corrupted Tombstone enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Choose a card in your graveyard. Add one mana of that card's color to your mana pool.

rabidsquid posted:

Modern creatures might be stronger but they will never print a common creature as strong as something like Mulldrifter or Chittering Rats again

Agreed, mostly thanks to limited. Commons have been dialed back in power a lot for limited purposes in almost every single way over the last few years: Removal, ramp, countermagic, creatures, card draw (exempting Treasure Cruise)... a systematic depowering so that a given common never dominates draft like Doom Blade once did.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What a waste of a rare.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm glad that something that's going to effectively be a clunkier Mirage diamond in many cases is a rare :jerkbag:

They could at least have given it the ability to always tap for colorless.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Why the hell is that even a rare? I love the flavour of this set but drat if there aren't a load of dogshit rares.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

emrakul will die when jace tries to set it on fire.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

the Orb of Zot posted:

Corrupted Tombstone
Artifact (Rare)
Corrupted Tombstone enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Choose a card in your graveyard. Add one mana of that card's color to your mana pool.

Why isn't this at mythic??

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I don't really get why cmc 2 mana ramp that can generate mana the turn it comes down is so rarely printed? Is it because playing multiples on turn 3+ is really swingy? Is it to make them weaker late?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Allstone posted:

I don't really get why cmc 2 mana ramp that can generate mana the turn it comes down is so rarely printed? Is it because playing multiples on turn 3+ is really swingy? Is it to make them weaker late?

Because that's what they want green to be doing in the new standard.

This new rare has EDH written all over it.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Sigma-X posted:

Because that's what they want green to be doing in the new standard.

This new rare has EDH written all over it.

The thing is that GREEN doesn't get cmc 2 ramp on non-creatures anymore either, and outside of the 2/1 elf in Magic Origins it's 2 mana creatures that ramp have been sitting at rare.

Ramp is literally going the way of removal.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If you think about it, mana rocks are basically artifacts that everything has affinity for, and we all know how broken affinity for artifacts is.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you think about it, mana rocks are basically artifacts that everything has affinity for, and we all know how broken affinity for artifacts is.

Never thought of it like that. Yea! Screw sol ring!

Edit: Sat waiting for the player meet at the Magicmadhouse Birmingham thingy, any goons?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I just got asked for my decklist in casual MTGO. it feels like the ultimate compliment :keke:

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

DoctorOozy posted:

Never thought of it like that. Yea! Screw sol ring!

Edit: Sat waiting for the player meet at the Magicmadhouse Birmingham thingy, any goons?

I was there but had to rush off right at the start due to a family emergency. Good luck though.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

the Orb of Zot posted:

The thing is that GREEN doesn't get cmc 2 ramp on non-creatures anymore either, and outside of the 2/1 elf in Magic Origins it's 2 mana creatures that ramp have been sitting at rare.

Ramp is literally going the way of removal.

My opponent casting bigger creatures than I have cast feels bad. Having my creatures killed feels bad. Everything that isn't a field of 10 x/x+1's staring at each other feels bad.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The short answer is that ramping into an extra mana is much higher impact when you go from 1 to 3 or 2 to 4 instead of 3 to 5. The fact that lots of people still play full grips of 2-mana green dorks in Standard shows that they're still really good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

whydirt posted:

The short answer is that ramping into an extra mana is much higher impact when you go from 1 to 3 or 2 to 4 instead of 3 to 5. The fact that lots of people still play full grips of 2-mana green dorks in Standard shows that they're still really good.

Which decks still play mana dorks in standard? I pretty sure it's all of one deck and it only plays 1 set.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 19, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sylvan caryatid.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'd also say that having a 1-drop elf in Standard constrains the design of green 3-drops similar to how Dark Ritual kept them from making good black 3-drops back in the day.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
It's just dumb that something being "really good" is a reason why they can't print it from time to time. Why can't there be ebb and flow in Magic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It hasn't really been that long without a g mana dork or rampant growth in standard. Mystic overlapped Siege Rhino.

• Locked thread