Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

First episode of DD season 2 definitely fits it's title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Punisher is loving terrifying.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

Punisher is loving terrifying.

not emptyquoting but yes

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Dunno if this is a spoiler or not, but is there anything from Jessica Jones in Daredevil S2? Haven't finished JJ and I was wondering if I should do that first.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dunno if this is a spoiler or not, but is there anything from Jessica Jones in Daredevil S2? Haven't finished JJ and I was wondering if I should do that first.

Nobody will be able to answer that definitively for hours the series just dropped.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

One of the characters in the third episode just made a one-line reference to something from a late Jessica Jones episode that you won't catch if you haven't seen it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Bang.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Daredevil is actually Jessica Jones this season :ssh:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Dude is loving spooky.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
"...And where is this rear end in a top hat's hand?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"...layers of Kevlar as thick as my dick". This guy better not be gone, he's already my favorite character in the MCU.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPpfjcnipkY

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So, I don't much care what horrible things Punisher does, but does Daredevil continue his streak of mook and hobo torture from season 1, or is he a bit toned down this go-round?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's only tortured like one guy in 5 episodes so far. That's less, I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you mean the one I'm thinking about well that was Turk and that was hardly torture, that was just a bit of a strongarming between two guys that are well acquainted at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

If you mean the one I'm thinking about well that was Turk and that was hardly torture, that was just a bit of a strongarming between two guys that are well acquainted at this point.

I meant the Irish mobster whose wrist he broke.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Aphrodite posted:

I meant the Irish mobster whose wrist he broke.

2x04
That guy doesn't count, he was bleeding out anyways.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Is that the boxing ring/gym from Daredevil?

Also I've only watched the first four or five episodes so I have a question about the rest of the season:

Do we get a full out Gladiator by the end of the season or do they continue to loving tease us?

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 19, 2016

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Done the first four episodes and thinking I should be sensible and call it a night but drat, each episode ends in a way to make you think "oh go on then, just one more..."

S2 Episode 4: Dat fuckin' monologue, holy poo poo. Also awwwww, bless: Frank Castle, dog lover.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I love the new season, but they really SEASON 1 hosed up killing Ben Ulrich. On'y thing I'm super upset still about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I know it's dumb of me, but the thought just occured to me of how great it would be if Sony didn't have a stranglehold on Spider-man characters and Daredevil had a supporting character who was a scuzzy, slightly hyper reporter trying to fill Ben Urich's shoes named Eddie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I know it's dumb of me, but the thought just occured to me of how great it would be if Sony didn't have a stranglehold on Spider-man characters and Daredevil had a supporting character who was a scuzzy, slightly hyper reporter trying to fill Ben Urich's shoes named Eddie.

I'm sure Marvel still have the rights to Sally Floyd? :v:

E: Another JJ connection in DD s2e05 (minor spoilers) Marcie, Foggy's ex with the awesome shoes from season 1, now works for Carrie-Anne Moss's firm, and she namedrops Jessica as a probable target for the DA in her mayoral bid, right before Daredevil himself.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 19, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sigh. Not even through episode one and they already pulled "Our defense firm only represents innocents!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Sigh. Not even through episode one and they already pulled "Our defense firm only represents innocents!"

Hasn't that been a thing since the very beginning?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Hasn't that been a thing since the very beginning?

It's still stupid and a misrepresentation of the duties of a lawyer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I am pretty sure they can refuse clients. They are not public defenders.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's an option though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Allow me to clarify: presenting the obviously more moral and kind hearted underdog firm as being even more righteous for refusing "bad guy" clients is disgusting. They have no obligation to represent people they feel uncomfortable with, but presenting their selectiveness as a facet of their altruism is awful and reinforces serious misconceptions people have about the justice system.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, they aren't public defenders so it's their prerogative to take on whatever clients they wish. And they obviously prefer to take on the underprivileged that can't afford an attorney at all. Not a solid business model, but they sleep well at night, or rather they would if not for other night activities.

Also who gives a poo poo, it's not real life.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Did anyone else see a lot of similarities between the first Season 2 episode of Daredevil and Predator 2?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's not made clear in the show but Matt "Human Lie Detector" only accepts clients that tell him the truth, it's a common thing in the comics.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Also they take the guy they say that to as a client.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There was the shark in a skin suit from early season 1, but that was kind of an undercover investigation thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
man I really dig berenthal's punisher a lot but I don't care for this take on elektra at aaaaaaaall

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

My favorite part so far (Episode 8)

Foggy: Colonel, tell me how Frank Castle was awarder his medal

Colonel: The circumstances are pretty much entirely classified and I can't say anything

Foggy: Well, tell us what you can say

Colonel: Sure, here is the exact scenario of what occurred and where in explicit detail

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

man I really dig berenthal's punisher a lot but I don't care for this take on elektra at aaaaaaaall

So far it's pretty close to the Man without Fear one

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yung and Bernthal are perfect for their roles.

Finished watching the show today, and it is very uneven and zig-zags a bunch with the plot. The ensemble felt like a crutch for the writers who may otherwise have struggled to do something interesting.

The fight scenes are, in most cases, poorly done, and you often don't get to see the punches connect and only have the audio cues to convey the dynamic for the fights.

I can't recall whether the fight scenes are always great in the previous season, but it didn't flat-out great in this one.

Really loved all the characters on the show, but it felt like the writers/showrunner took them for granted and coasted on them; all the new ones were amazing, and the recurring roles didn't develop at all as characters in any interesting way. The seaon feels a lot like a bridge between seasons a show than a show season in its own right.

The writing wasn't always great, but the show felt very cheese-free, which is an improvement over the last season.

And just to repeat, Yung and Bernthal are so loving perfect it kept blowing my mind.

X-O posted:

Yeah, they aren't public defenders so it's their prerogative to take on whatever clients they wish. And they obviously prefer to take on the underprivileged that can't afford an attorney at all. Not a solid business model, but they sleep well at night, or rather they would if not for other night activities.

Also who gives a poo poo, it's not real life.
It is basically impossible to enjoy this season if you nitpick it like this, because there are a lot of weird leaps and gaps of logic, and nothing good will come of dwelling on them, even though it is a perfectly understandable thing to do.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 19, 2016

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm only just starting episode five, but what happened with the van that showed up at Frank's house when Karen is there? I feel like they just showed the van appearing and suddenly Karen is safe at Josie 's. does that get covered later on?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm only just starting episode five, but what happened with the van that showed up at Frank's house when Karen is there? I feel like they just showed the van appearing and suddenly Karen is safe at Josie 's. does that get covered later on?
Not that I recall, no. I also found that weird. Maybe it's just a regular security company, given (2x05) it'd take some hacking or whatever to set up that intrusion detector in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Didn't Reyes show up the house (which was the last thing we see when Karen was looking out the window) I think it was just meant to anchor in the conspiracy at that point.

I thought the fights were perfectly fine this year, and were at least as good as last year, though they kind of lied about there being something as good or similar to the hallway fight. I guess I know what fight they meant, but it wasn't really as good. Granted, you can't really do that twice anyway, but still. I certainly wouldn't say the fights were bad by any stretch though. Arrow has objectively bad fights. The fights in this were fine, especially for something that does not have a movie budget.

Also that was the best Punisher ever. All in all, I think this season was as good as season 1 at worst, and better at best. I found it overall more interesting and entertaining than Jessica Jones as well.