Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does the SEC care about private companies that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What are the odds the SEC takes an interest if it looks as if the CEO should have known that the thing didn't work when she was selling it to investors?

I don't know, SEC's not my area. I just have some KOOL FDA FAKTS swirling around in my head.

...Maybe? Standards of evidence are very hard to meet for things that get executives indicted. "should have known", for executives, is hard to get to at the best of times.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 19, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The weirdest thing about Theranos is that they have Henry Kissinger and General Mattis (from Generation Kill) on their board.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Does the SEC care about private companies that way?

The SEC is poorly funded, barely functional, and full of people from Wall Street. Who knows if they'll even bother taking an interest.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was excited reading the first 1/3 of this thread since I'd been craving some econ chat, but the latter 2/3 of employment, while equally interesting, has me super depressed as I'm job searching. I did my BS and MS in CompE from a top 5 school, threw it all away to get a finance PhD to become a prof, except I wasn't able to finish and now I'm hoping I can get even an 80k finance job.

Should have just joined a startup and taken my payout to trade election futures.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 19, 2016

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

80k seems low for finance and I'm not sure what's stopping you from going into (fin)tech in NY

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shrike82 posted:

80k seems low for finance and I'm not sure what's stopping you from going into (fin)tech in NY
My last stint in engineering was in 2007, so while engineering will always be in my DNA, my ASIC/FPGA skills are extremely rusty.

I'd be happy to take a quant finance-lite job in NYC but I feel like those are mostly hedge fund-type positions that would kill me with their 80 hour work weeks.

Also why would a firm hire a finance PhD dropout when they could hire an actual finance PhD?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just the other day, I saw Ello mentioned along with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I didn't think anyone was still using it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

My last stint in engineering was in 2007, so while engineering will always be in my DNA, my ASIC/FPGA skills are extremely rusty.

I'd be happy to take a quant finance-lite job in NYC but I feel like those are mostly hedge fund-type positions that would kill me with their 80 hour work weeks.

Also why would a firm hire a finance PhD dropout when they could hire an actual finance PhD?

That's unfortunate. Nothing wrong with a 80K job though especially since finishing the PhD would have just meant worrying about the academic rat-race.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shrike82 posted:

That's unfortunate. Nothing wrong with a 80K job though especially since finishing the PhD would have just meant worrying about the academic rat-race.
I would have been so happy to forfeit the higher salaries of research universities to go to a small/medium private school and teach undergrads for the next 40 years. Alas, poo poo happens.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Josh Lyman posted:

I would have been so happy to forfeit the higher salaries of research universities to go to a small/medium private school and teach undergrads for the next 40 years. Alas, poo poo happens.

LOL at you for thinking that that would have been less competitive and mind-murdering.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I was excited reading the first 1/3 of this thread since I'd been craving some econ chat, but the latter 2/3 of employment, while equally interesting, has me super depressed as I'm job searching. I did my BS and MS in CompE from a top 5 school, threw it all away to get a finance PhD to become a prof, except I wasn't able to finish and now I'm hoping I can get even an 80k finance job.

Should have just joined a startup and taken my payout to trade election futures.

You do some stats for that finance PhD? Feel like you could do some Bayesian inference, explain the bias-variance trade-off, interpret p-values, that sort of thing?

If you've got some research, decent programming, and stats knowledge you should think about data science (and maybe PM me your resume; I'm hiring in the NYC area).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

quote:

That's the take by Suzi Sosa, co-founder and CEO of Verb, which produces competitions for social entrepreneurs who are working toward solving a global problem.

"We have this thriving startup scene and we also have a very rich social impact community. We have more nonprofits per capital than any other city," Sosa said during a South by Southwest Interactive panel titled Two Ways to Keep the Austin Startup Scene Weird.

"nonprofits per capital"

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

menino posted:

I guess it depends on the business unit you're looking at. IBM is divesting a lot of service and trying to avoid low margin businesses. Their 'strategic imperatives' revenue is growing very fast.

They can only fire people for so long.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Aliquid posted:

lmao

"nonprofits per capital"

I'm not sure it that's a typo or some sort of fancy new metric VCs jerk off to

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Moatman posted:

I'm not sure it that's a typo or some sort of fancy new metric VCs jerk off to

No sic. So I'd blame lovely journalism.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hughlander posted:

No sic. So I'd blame lovely journalism.

yeah it's a do512 mistake instead of a speaker mistake most likely, they're probably used to typing the word "capital" all day here

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Be careful when you read the sentence "competitions for social entrepreneurs who are working to solve a global problem", because you may roll your eyes so hard that you hurt yourself.

Nonprofits per capital and nonprofits per capita are each interesting metrics in their own way.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Sorry for the stupid question, but looking at future trends would a undergraduate in biomedical engineering be a good idea?

Edit: This automation talk is kinda scaring me.

ToxicAcne fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 20, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ToxicAcne posted:

Sorry for the stupid question, but looking at future trends would a undergraduate in biomedical engineering be a good idea?

Yes, because you'll be doing a lot of the automation (at least depending on the specialty, I'm not 100% sure on which fields there are).

There's a lot about the healthcare sector that's basically going to guarantee jobs for educated professionals in the near future.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ToxicAcne posted:

A masters' and you're set for life imo

go hang out in BFC with the cool kids if you want real advice

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ToxicAcne posted:

If I could do it all again, I'd do an engineering degree focusing on power engineering. Any job related to modernizing North America's power grid will be a license to print money for the next 100 years.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
BME is also pretty broad -- I'd pay attention to which area (orthotics, sensors, tissue engineering, imaging, machine learning on high-dimensional experimental data, etc).

If you're doing orthotics, there's not a huge space and not a lot of directions to go, but if you're doing machine learning on microarray data or whatever, those techniques are applicable in a ton of other fields, so you have mobility.

And yeah plan on at least a master's, and try to get internships as early as possible.

edit:

Cultural Imperial posted:

If I could do it all again, I'd do an engineering degree focusing on power engineering. Any job related to modernizing North America's power grid will be a license to print money for the next 100 years.

It's a license to print money for the few companies that can get into the highly-regulated space that has tons of barriers to entry. The industries like power, health care, and pharma that haven't been disrupted (or have been fake disrupted in the case of Theranos) are that way because they've got really big walls around them that are hard to climb.

Emacs Headroom fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 20, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Haha disruption

Jesus loving Christ

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

sbaldrick posted:

They can only fire people for so long.

IBM has 400k employees, 'so long' can be pretty long

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
IBM's not just firing. They're also still doing acquisitions: Bruce Schneier's Resilient Systems is one of the most recent targets.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Emacs Headroom posted:

It's a license to print money for the few companies that can get into the highly-regulated space that has tons of barriers to entry. The industries like power, health care, and pharma that haven't been disrupted (or have been fake disrupted in the case of Theranos) are that way because they've got really big walls around them that are hard to climb.
I can't wait to see how the power/energry sector gets "disrupted" by the sharing economy :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cheese posted:

I can't wait to see how the power/energry sector gets "disrupted" by the sharing economy :allears:

So far it seems to be giant backup batteries courtesy of Elon Musk.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

computer parts posted:

So far it seems to be giant backup batteries courtesy of Elon Musk.
No man, I mean ~!DISRUPTED!~. For the people. Order up your power on demand through an ap? Maybe some surge pricing at 5pm on a August afternoon?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cheese posted:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

late to the game man, google paid $3 billion in 2013 to buy Nest - a company that produces thermostats that you can play with

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Who needs power engineers? Just write an app. Prepare to be ~∆~∆~*disrupted*~∆~∆~

Don't forget to lean IN motherfuckers

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

shrike82 posted:

late to the game man, google paid $3 billion in 2013 to buy Nest - a company that produces thermostats that you can play with

Nest is a footstep into smart-house technology, and they can use the expertise to go bigger. I'm betting that Google voice search steps into the Alexa/Siri "cloud-backed app as a universal controller" space any day. Google also has a massive boner for save-the-earth products.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

cheese posted:

No man, I mean ~!DISRUPTED!~. For the people. Order up your power on demand through an ap? Maybe some surge pricing at 5pm on a August afternoon?

When global warming causes the power grid to shatter under the stress of keeping every home at 68 degrees in 100+ temps, you'll be able to hire a van covered with solar panels to come over to your house and plug into your breaker with my new app, SolR

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The New Yorker did a really good article a while ago following up on the companies and lessons of The Innovator’s Dilemma which is the major religious text of the whole "disrupt or die!" cult.

The actual end result is that with a few major exceptions the sources of the "disruption" were pounded into dust by the big established companies once they turned their considerable engineering, logistics, distribution, and marketing power to bear on the newcomer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shifty Pony posted:

The New Yorker did a really good article a while ago following up on the companies and lessons of The Innovator’s Dilemma which is the major religious text of the whole "disrupt or die!" cult.

The actual end result is that with a few major exceptions the sources of the "disruption" were pounded into dust by the big established companies once they turned their considerable engineering, logistics, distribution, and marketing power to bear on the newcomer.
I think these were some of the examples used in the book, but in the mainframe/minicomputer/workstation/PC transitions a lot of the big companies would not commit to the newer, cheaper paradigm because it would undercut/destroy their revenue streams, and because they believed that nobody actually wanted the cheaper, less functional version.

The corpses of the BUNCH (anybody else remember that acronym?), DEC, PR1ME, Wang, Apollo Computer, and ultimately Sun illustrate this point. More modernly, dedicated assistive-communication devices with customized software are being replaced by iPads, even though the iPads don't have the same quality of software. I was at the slowly-decaying shuffling corpse of PR1ME, and the company refused to believe that anybody wanted the cheaper workstations, to the extent that William Poduska, a founder of Prime, left to form Apollo. There was also a very expensive source-management system (anybody remember the name?) that required its own dedicated sysadmin plus prayer wheels, and that everybody gratefully abandoned for less-functional (at the time) open-source solutions.

I'm not endorsing old management books. However, "we can't undercut our existing expensive solution to switch to the new cheap solution" is a genuine thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

[weird; i had a posting glitch]

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

For the unfamiliar, strategy gurus like Christensen and Porter are of the MBA crowd rather than unicorn land.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

cheese posted:

Sorry guys I used a trigger word.

By "disruption" here I meant "do the things the old inefficient business does, but in a different way". Not "replace the whole industry with an app that gets you in touch with a 1099 worker".

Hope that clears things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ToxicAcne posted:

So BME is a bit of a tricky major. I graduated with it in 2009, which was a terrible time to graduate, but them's the breaks. There are jobs out there, and the field is growing quickly, but part of the reason that the field is growing quickly is that the major literally hasn't existed for very long. You can get into BME jobs with a mechanical, electrical, or other engineering background; the real trick is that you absolutely need to get an internship or have some sort of other connection. You also need to decide between pharma or devices; pharma requires a lot more chemistry, while devices are more about mechanical/electrical. Personally, I'm on the device side of things and loving it.

The other nice thing about the field is that you're pretty much going to be living in San Diego, Irvine, Silicon Valley, or Boston. Irvine is a huge center for devices, and San Diego is a huge center for pharma. UCI and UCSD also have programs focused to their respective industry specialties.

If you can get into a good job with it, absolutely do the major. Working in healthcare is really rewarding; it's a good feeling to be able to go home at night and know that you're contributing to saving lives every day. You are also definitely on the right side of the automation curve - hospitals pay through the nose for doctors, nurses, and equipment. Biomedical Engineers work to reduce those costs and open up new avenues of treatment.